• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What makes a Christian, a Christian?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen of Hearts

Just in one of my religion classes we were talking about Christianity and how there are similarities and differences to other religions. Then for homework my teacher gave the class the question: 'What makes a Christian, a Christian'? It doesn't necessarly mean that they go to Church or read the Bible although these are types of practising ways I suppose you could say. She want us to look at how they protray Christianity in their lives and in the lives of others. So what do you think? Any suggestions? Comments?

WilliamTheWise

Oh right, I can change this....
Website
earltheandroid.tumblr.com
Tough question.
A Christan is anyone who believes Jesus Christ is the son of God. They also think he died on the cross to save humainty from their sin. As well as that he will return to end the battle of armageddon between thoses that believe and thoses that follow Satan. Thats the main points someone else can give more details.

Queen of Hearts

Haha nice Freedom<. And Thanks WilliamTheWise, I'm sure someone could work with what you said. If anyone is Christian please post a little about how you live your life and maybe say some of the qualities you have being a Christian. Or if you know anyone list true signs of how they live their life etc.

Many thanks ^-^

Queen of Hearts

I'm a christian.
The qualities can vary depending on which form you practice. Most have the Ten comandments.

Sorry if I made that sound like you weren't Christian WilliamTheWise- I had a feeling that you were.. but overall would you say that Chriatians in general are kind hearted and willing to help others? I'm kinda working for those type of answers.

Sexy Angel
In history, they were the ones that attacked the Jews and Muslims, raping their women, pillaging their cities, etc.

Orthodox christianity was formed in the Byzantine Empire. Catholic was formed in the remains of the collapsed Western Roman Empire.

Woo woo history!!!

samwdg

Haha nice Freedom<. And Thanks WilliamTheWise, I'm sure someone could work with what you said. If anyone is Christian please post a little about how you live your life and maybe say some of the qualities you have being a Christian. Or if you know anyone list true signs of how they live their life etc.

Many thanks ^-^

You will find that different christian denominations have different morals and point of views on certain aspects of life and how we should live it. Like some of them keep saturday as a sacred day and other keep sunday, so thats pretty much the day they goto church. But moral wise, you will get kind hearted christian that love to help people then you get others that really only seem to wanna help themselves or if you dont do things there way then they want nothing to do with ya.

But yeah most christians should help people just for the sake of helping cause its the right thing to do, but its not always the case, can be for self gain alot of the time.

Im a christian and some of the values i have are to be good natured and help people, i dont drink or smoke or get into drugs cause i respect my body. These are the things i do by personal choice, not something all christians do though, mainly a guide line.

And as Will said, keeping the 10 commandments is a main one and some of the christians denomiations dont agree with sex before marriage either.

Anyway hope that helps :)

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
2. of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ: Spain is a Christian country

Pretty much how I define them.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Well, I'm guessing that the teacher wants the students to get more details other than a simple definition of what Christians obviously are.

I suggest number one, go to the Bible. It's pretty much the Christian handbook. So the guidelines, laws, principles, for being a Christian are laid out all throughout the Bible. Especially the Greek Scriptures.

First century Christians were the original and true standard of what Christians are supposed to be, just as Jesus laid the foundation out for them to be. Their example(s), both from a Biblical and secular standpoint can show what it means to really be a Christian.

Just a few little helpful points here for you about Christian actions and ideals:

John 15: 14 - YOU are my friends if YOU do what I am commanding YOU

Galatians 5: 19 - 21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom.

Matthew 28: 19, 20 - Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

So again, I'd suggest looking into the scriptures, if you want more scriptures on what really constitutes a Christian feel free to ask.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I'd like to hear some of what your class mates had to say on the subject. Or even what you wrote if you don't mind posting.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
In history, they were the ones that attacked the Jews and Muslims, raping their women, pillaging their cities, etc.

They f*ckin crusade.

This isn't exactly...irrelevant...but still.
How many years ago was that?

I'm pretty sure the OP was posing a question about modern Christianity.
In a sense, you're painting a gruesome picture of Chrisitians. That can be done with any religion.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
That's an easy question.
By definition it's one who's decided to make Jesus their personal Lord and Savior, and choose to follow God with all their heart for the rest of their days because of the sacrifice He made for the world's sins. Doing so grants us eternal fellowship and life with Him.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life (1 John 5:13).

If you have any more questions related about Christianity, a really helpful FAQ tool is right here:
Blue Letter Bible - Help, Tutorials, and FAQs

Just type in your question or topic in the search bar and hit search. Something should come up.

Lol Crusades.
So Christians went on a journey to Israel to get it back from the Muslims. So? It's not like that's special or anything. People went to war with other countries all the time before modern times.

A

Azrael

Just in one of my religion classes we were talking about Christianity and how there are similarities and differences to other religions. Then for homework my teacher gave the class the question: 'What makes a Christian, a Christian'? It doesn't necessarly mean that they go to Church or read the Bible although these are types of practising ways I suppose you could say. She want us to look at how they protray Christianity in their lives and in the lives of others. So what do you think? Any suggestions? Comments?

Christians uphold the moral principles of God and try to live as a good person in this life so they may reach eternal life in Heaven.

Most people aren't

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Christians uphold the moral principles of God and try to live as a good person in this life so they may reach eternal life in Heaven.

Uhh, except being a "good person" has nothing to do with entry into heaven, according to Christian doctrine. You are commanded to follow God and uphold his principles as a Christian, but that's not what initially grants you access to heaven, so to speak. :p

A

Azrael

Uhh, except being a "good person" has nothing to do with entry into heaven, according to Christian doctrine. You are commanded to follow God and uphold his principles as a Christian, but that's not what initially grants you access to heaven, so to speak. :p

So what you're suggesting you don't have to be a good person to go to Heaven.

Is that what you're suggesting??

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
So what you're suggesting you don't have to be a good person to go to Heaven.

Is that what you're suggesting??

No, I think what Dogen was trying to explain was that being a 'good person' doesn't grant you access into Heaven. You could be the nicest person in the world, but if you're not a Christian, you aren't accepted into Heaven. To be granted access into Heaven, to my understanding, you have to accept Jesus as your Savior and follow him with your heart by upholding his morals and principles in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back