• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► so I'm atheist/agnostic now, and

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
my mom took it better than I thought. She's only very disappointed when I thought breaking the news would result in my flight from my house.

Upon hearing this, my mother asked me what she did wrong. Because, you know, I became atheist to punish her. /sarcasm

later, as i expected, she played the christmas card on me. She told me that since I didn't believe in Jesus anymore, I wouldn't get any presents. because Jesus leaves the presents under the tree, not santa my parents. /more sarcasm

She later played the guilt card on me, telling me that I should believe in the (virgin) mary, and jesus when I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Thing is, as I get closer to being an adult, I feel that I've been Catholic all this time because I felt i HAD to, not because I wanted to. Not to mention that the Church as an organization has had some shady dealings.

despite being an atheist, I'm willing to accept that there's a higher power. I'm just doubtful that there is one.

p.s. if you're wondering why I said agnostic in the thread title, it was a (futile) effort to soften up the news to my mother.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
oi vey.

Does your mom think lying about your faith would be better than being honest about how you feel? Would she condone that kind of lying?

-.-

I think your mom just has some issues, talk to someone else about it.

Speaking of which, why was it really necessary to tell her, anyways?

Voltron

Silver Member
Well, I know we're suppose to help with making people believe in God and all, but her methods were.... hilarious to be honest.

She could have just been in shock...

Angel

oi vey.

Does your mom think lying about your faith would be better than being honest about how you feel? Would she condone that kind of lying?

Did you read? Of course she would condone it.

-.-

I think your mom just has some issues, talk to someone else about it.

Speaking of which, why was it really necessary to tell her, anyways?

I felt the dire urge to be honest with her, because I normally hate hiding things from my parents. And I've talked to my dad about it MANY, MANY times before this, usually when she was on vacation/business.

Well, I know we're suppose to help with making people believe in God and all, but her methods were.... hilarious to be honest.

She could have just been in shock...

How were they hilarious? The whole Christmas thing? Not only do I not really give a fuck, but my dad would PROBABLY talk some sense into her.

I think she still is. The worst thing is, I was talking to uber-Catholic mom, since her father passed away recently and she's been doing the rosary with her family every day this week.

Awards
my mom took it better than I thought. She's only very disappointed when I thought breaking the news would result in my flight from my house.

what would jesus do

Upon hearing this, my mother asked me what she did wrong. Because, you know, I became atheist to punish her. /sarcasm

She's still going something wrong by having any dealings with organized religion.

later, as i expected, she played the christmas card on me. She told me that since I didn't believe in Jesus anymore, I wouldn't get any presents. because Jesus leaves the presents under the tree, not santa my parents.

The proper response to this is: "And this is one of the key reasons that I denounced your religion in the first place; for hundreds and hundreds of years the Catholic faith has defended itself and ensured the cooperation of its members with guilt and allegations of blasphemy."

She later played the guilt card on me, telling me that I should believe in the (virgin) mary, and jesus when I've heard nothing but good things about them.

The proper response to this is: "There's nothing preventing people from praising things simply because they don't exist and never have."

Thing is, as I get closer to being an adult, I feel that I've been Catholic all this time because I felt i HAD to, not because I wanted to. Not to mention that the Church as an organization has had some shady dealings.

You don't get to choose what you believe; you will believe in whatever reality you accept. I didn't choose to be an Atheist. It is simply who I am.

And while I dislike the religion in general, the Catholic Church is the biggest joke on the face of the fucking earth -- nothing but a congregation of hypocrisy, lies, stupidity, ignorance, gullibility, prejudice, intolerance, bigotry and foolishness.

despite being an atheist, I'm willing to accept that there's a higher power. I'm just doubtful that there is one.

Then you're Agnostic, not an Atheist. Atheism is the certainty that there is no higher power, while Agnosticism is more like overall skepticism.

p.s. if you're wondering why I said agnostic in the thread title, it was a (futile) effort to soften up the news to my mother.

Your mother has an account on KHI?

Angel

Your mother has an account on KHI?

Oh GOD no.

I just told her that in person.

While all of those "proper responses" are tasteful and quite funny, I would most DEFINITELY have been kicked out if I said any of them.

Awards
I remember when I came out to my mom as an Atheist. At first, her position was denial, but then it was "You're a good person, Sam, but the bible says that the only truly unforgivable sin is not accepting Christ, and I don't want you to go to Hell..."

So we ended up in a religious debate, which I unquestionably won.

Her final verdict was something like, "Okay, you're probably right, there maybe is no God. But if there is, I would rather be on his good side than his bad side, you know?"

But I won't take any more spotlight off of you; this is your thread and I hope things turn out for you as well as they did for me.

Angel

I remember when I came out to my mom as an Atheist. At first, her position was denial, but then it was "You're a good person, Sam, but the bible says that the only truly unforgivable sin is not accepting Christ, and I don't want you to go to Hell..."

So we ended up in a religious debate, which I unquestionably won.

Her final verdict was something like, "Okay, you're probably right, there maybe is no God. But if there is, I would rather be on his good side than his bad side, you know?"

But I won't take any more spotlight off of you; this is your thread and I hope things turn out for you as well as they did for me.

No prob. That was a good story.

Except:

My mother HATES debating ANYTHING.

Not to mention she will refute every statement with "You can't disprove God of Jesus or Mary's virginity (parthenogenesis FTW).

I think that's ultimately what my mother's worried about. Even though when I die, I'll be laid to rest in dirt until the sun supernova's.

Voltron

Silver Member
How were they hilarious? The whole Christmas thing? Not only do I not really give a fuck, but my dad would PROBABLY talk some sense into her.

I think she still is. The worst thing is, I was talking to uber-Catholic mom, since her father passed away recently and she's been doing the rosary with her family every day this week.

Yeah, the Christmas thing was really hilarious.

Ah, then she's in shock more than likely.

Or stressed...

Angel

Yeah, the Christmas thing was really hilarious.

Ah, then she's in shock more than likely.

Or stressed...

Hilarious how though?

and yeah, she's plenty stressed. at least they got rid of flex time at her work, or else i would've been massacred.

Awards
Hilarious in a kind of sad way; like if your best shot at convincing your son against denouncing your religion is to threaten to take away his Christmas presents, it isn't hard to understand why he would want to convert in the first place.

Voltron

Silver Member
Hilarious in a kind of sad way; like if your best shot at convincing your son against denouncing your religion is to threaten to take away his Christmas presents, it isn't hard to understand why he would want to convert in the first place.

Exactly.

And that Jesus puts them there... don't recall that in the Bible.

Awards
Exactly.

And that Jesus puts them there... don't recall that in the Bible.

Obviously you didn't read it clearly enough. It's explicitly stated in the New Testament that Jesus Christ annually delivers toys to all of the little boys and girls in the world (so long as their parents are already wealthy enough to afford said toys).

Voltron

Silver Member
Obviously you didn't read it clearly enough. It's explicitly stated in the New Testament that Jesus Christ annually delivers toys to all of the little boys and girls in the world (so long as their parents are already wealthy enough to afford said toys).

Is it in the book of Luke? I kinda just skimmed that one.

Trag

Bronze Member
My mom through a motherfucking hissy fit at me when i told her that i was an atheist and that it had been a couple years since i had believed in god and then i couldn't fight off laughing, even though nothing was funny, when she started yelling and preaching at me with my dad. I told them to suck it up and i walked out, because i don't take shit from my parents about my beliefs. Religion sucks in my opinion, but that's not why i'm an atheist. Good for you, coming out about that to your mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back