• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Dawn of The New Key [Azrael] AU Fan-Fic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Azrael

----------

Curryman Productions present

A

Kingdom Hearts Fan-Fiction

Title:
Dawn of The New Key

POV:
Third person

Author:
Azrael

Genre: Adventure/Friendship/Romance
Summary:
Mix Kingdom Hearts with Renaissance Age Europe and what do you get?
Well, why don't you find out and make the judge of it.

----------

Chapter One: Descent to Darkness

Splash
The sound made when the nameless brown-haired boy fell from the skies and crashed the water.

Person mentioned was covered from the top to bottom save for the exception of his head, which exposed the nameless boy's handsome, youthful appearance and his gravity-defying hair, how deliciously brown and spiky it was. Dangling on his neck, a silver chain necklace rested on a boy's neck and at the very centerpiece of the decoration, a three pointed crown. The nameless boy's hands were protected from damage by gauntlets, created by a bronze metal alloy and painted to complement the armor worn on the boy's body. Eyes opened themselves, lazily that is, and grayish-blue irises opened for the first time and observed the light from above, how smaller and dimmer it became as the distance between the two widened so much to the point that it was only a mere speckle.

Dreams. My dreams. I've been having them for a while now. It seems to get worse and worse each night that passes. And the worst part of it is that I don't know how to stop them. They bombard me with these pictures that seem so familiar yet so strange.
The first words they were coming from the mouth of the boy, as his lips moved slowly to say them but were inaudible to nobody other than himself, the water muted his words. He paused momentarily and took the moment to breathe and looked down seeing nothing but dark shadows

Refusing to allow the unknown shadows of darkness below to put fear into the dark depths of his heart, he continued to speak his thoughts out. Impending darkness and return to everlasting chaos along wielding some weapon that's been extinct since like forever in order to stop something like that from taking over the world? I'm sorry about that kind of stuff doesn't interest me. Is it already impossible for me to dream about things that normal kids dream about, like being a hero or look for that special girl to spend time with?

No response from anyone or anything.

Who am I kidding? What makes me so special to get an answer... The boy closed his eyes shut closed and for that brief moment, a small teardrop was shed from his eyelids and dropped down to the endless abyss. Thinking about it for a moment, his eyes had opened up to the cold, hard truth. I should have known that this would happened. I can't hope to dream like normal kids if I'm not normal myself... Closing his eyes again once more, he dosed off into eternal sleep and did not fight his descent to the ocean bottom, leaving his fate to the beholder to be enigmatic.

For what he could not see that he was not alone, as he thought. Somebody was watching the boy from above, obviously not from this plane of existence. Her appearance was quite simple to describe yet were not enough to describe her. To the normal human eye, she was like other girls although her appearance enough was one of the difference that separated this specimen from the rest. Her attire was simple to describe, only a sundress and a pair of sandals were the only things she wore. One would wonder how could someone as pale-skinned and sickly looking as her could ever survive without heat although the light resonating from the orb that she watched the boy served as an excellent substitute.

It must feel horrible to have these horrid dreams. Nameless girl rested on her knees, bowed down her head and pressed her hands together in a praying position. Yet this will be the last one you shall experience before your path of destiny shall be carved, to be the hero of light and save us from Zehanato's curse. It is a dream, rather a nightmare that sadly will soon be realized and made real. But not to worry for you shall hold the key to save the world from the darkness and bring balance to the spectrum. Benjamin Lancaster, heir to the ancient Templar knights, may this dream make you finally realize that a greater purpose awaits you for God has decided it.

Chapter End

----------
So how did you guys like it? Like Madammina, I prefer you review telling me what you liked about it best and how I can improve this fan-fic.

Last edited:

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
Re: A Keybearer's Journey [Azrael] AU Fan-Fic

Hm interesing
Another renaissance themed fan fiction from you :D
I have no doubt that it will be good like the others, I just hope you'll keep it going :D

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t

Awesome start to the fanfic, Azreal. So, Benjamin is more based on Sora in this rewrite. I like it better this way, not that I didn't like your other version with the main character based on Ven. Anyway, great job, and I do hope that you stick with this the whole way through. This story has great potential.

sassysis10

Very mysterious. Kingdom Hearts mixed with a Renaissance theme. Should be interesting.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess

Alrighty, Ziz, as promised.

Problems: people still debate in shakespearan tones and it can get kind of muddled about what they are saying. That being said, "Benjamin" was much more direct then Namine.

The "let nature do its course to his body" was kind of confusing, explain?

Likes: BIRLLIANT description. you could see everything going on. And the teardrop was moving.

I'll keep an eye on this.

A

Azrael

----------

Chapter Two: At Destiny's Crossroads

Benjamin opened his eyes and looked up, darkness surrounded him except for that dim light above.

So much to do...and so little time.

Do not be afraid.
said a voice in an assuring tone.

Huh? The boy looked out over the features of the young black haired maiden imprinted in the stainless glass yet again as he searched for the source of the enigmatic, feminine voice. Who was that? Surely the maiden on the stained glass stage could not be the origin where the voice was speaking from as it displayed no lip movement or anything suggesting that it was alive so that possibility was ruled out.

Hero of light, advance a few paces to where the tools of salvation are at. Again spoke the mysterious feminine voice, imploring him to take a few paces towards the middle. Benjamin, always having a curious eye for all that is mysterious and unknown to him, decided to go ahead and follow the unknown voice's command to walk towards the area although he was hesitant to do so. Before reaching the middle of the area, he paused and raised his head up and saw only a dim light above, surrounded by the ocean's darkness.

Ring.

Hearing the noise, he gasped and jumped back several feet with his eyes concentrated on the appearance of strange objects right where the voice commanded him to be: in the middle of the stage. Each of the three objects rested on top of trapezoid rocks that lied on the ground.
Each object was different in appearance, thus from mere assumption to have different abilities from the others, although they were somewhat similar to one another that in some shape or form contained a mouse symbol be it the shield, rod or sword.

Weapons?
Benjamin asked himself, or rather he asked the voice for an answer. He imagined it for these objects presented before him to be weapons, really strange ones at that since they had that ridiculous looking mouse symbol. The answer was difficult for him to answer since this as well as the dream entirely was difficult to explain to himself, sounding like something from some old folk tale. Pretty weird looking ones if you ask me.

Power is dormant within you.

To the boy's left side laid the trapezoid shaped stone, containing the sword, illuminated itself with light. The weapons' powerful brightness had a powerful effect on Benjamin and to him, it seemed like they were almost pulling him to go ahead and grab them, take their power and use it. It was disorientating enough for the youth to hear this voice, as beautiful, soft and feminine it sounded to him, annoy him every-time but the mystery of what was next kept him to continue. Benjamin saw a green and brown mystic rod, on top being a blue mouse-shaped orb floating above the unmoving stone.

It must be and will be awakened through these weapons... continued the voice. Knowing that it had happened once before just minutes ago, the boy wasn't surprised when to his right, the sword shone brightly. A golden handle and whose blade was so sharp, the weapon was quite beautiful for a tool of murder. The handle's symbol red button had the same mouse-shaped theme.
The weapons of the light will each give you various types of strengths that you need through the journey that will be partaken against the threat of darkness that will soon overwhelm this realm soon if you do not accept your fate,

Rushing up and jerking the sword into his outstretched hand, he held it up to take it all in. All thoughts of his friends fading to the back of his mind as he was informed of the potential of the cutting metal.

That by which you hold in your hands is the power of the warrior. It will grant you invincible courage that will help you during times of great distress. The sword is a weapon of incredible destruction...Is this the power that you want to utilize in your journey?

Benjamin took his time deciding whether he want to keep the weapon or not. It would be a rather difficult one to make; each power seemed to be equal to one another. Each had their strengths and weaknesses that made one different. As a mercenary selling his services to anyone willing to afford him and his friends, he always preferred using a sword. Yet something capable of incredible destruction did not seem to be the weapon fit the voice said he was meant to save it, not destroy it. But if it was that powerful, it had the potential

Is this the power that you seek? asked the voice, waiting for a response from the youth.

Benjamin nodded his head up and down. Seeing him from her orb, the voice answered with. Good. Your path is set. Now, what will you give up in exchange? Still wondering what was really the point to this in the first place, he looked at the two remaining weapons and randomly walked over to where the shield was and picked it up with his hands, raising the shield high up.

The power of the guardian. Kindness to aid friends. A shield to repel all... You give up this power? the voice asked him.

How could I give up something like that? No. I won't give up on that.
Certainly anybody who wanted what was best for his friends would had not took the choice to give up the shield. Benjamin was no angel but to his two best friends along with the companions he's known throughout the years, he was the kind of person that anybody would trust in. The perfect friend, obviously not since no one could be perfect but most certainly someone who makes a good, irreplaceable friend. Through his own principles, he would never make the choice to give up something that represented protection for his loved ones, the friendship was something that was rare, especially for someone who dabbled in the mercenary trade.

Do you give up this power? inquired the voice, hinting a bit of impatience in its voice.

In response, Benjamin shook his head and said. No thanks. In one second, the sword had released itself from the tight grip of his fingers and dissolved into small light particles.

There was only one artifact left that he had not touched. The rod.

The power of the mystic which was the weapon of inner strength. A staff of pure wonder and ruin...will you sacrifice this power? it questioned him as he grabbed the rod and held it tightly.

The boy knew that he couldn't give up the value of the sword nor shield to him, so he guessed this would have to do. I don't want the rod. The object disappeared although this time into small dark particles.

You chose the power of the warrior. You gave up the power of the mystic. Is this what you choose? asked the mysterious voice.

Benjamin didn't like that that he couldn't take all three powers for himself but for some reason be it that the voice preferred to not have him to be too powerful and force him to give one of them up, the rod specifically. Knowledge was good and everything but if his short time attending school like a normal child proved anything was that him and education did not mix well. Power of the mystic, as the voice told him, was inner strength and that automatically would mean involving the mind in this. His choice was easy to make and Benjamin answered with a simple nod. I'm happy with what I got so I'm going to say yes.

You have gained the power to fight. stated the voice.

Cool. It's about time that I got to take a swing with this. Benjamin grinned, finally able to wield the sword.

It seems that you got the hang of this. Use this power to protect yourself and others. There will be times you will have no choice but fight the darkness. The voice exclaimed loudly, the noise of which rang loudly in the boy's ears and repeated itself several times more in the boy's mind.

Dang it. Benjamin groaned a bit and had his hands pressed on opposite ends of his head. He then noticed mysterious imprint on where the maiden's dress was located on the circular shaped platform. It was completely black in color and flat, or at least it seemed to be flat.Thought I saw something for a minute. Must be my mind playing tricks on me.

He turned his back and gave the place a second look. Now how to get out of this crazy dream?
----------

Reviews? Comments?

Last edited:

madammina

NO MORE SHAKESPEARE!!! And Ben is brilliant in his mental commentary of the choice part of the game (personally, I gave up the sword and chose the shield)

Dislikes... Could use a tiny bit more description. The Girl is Snow White, right? We know the scene, but to get more of ben's commentary describing it would be nice.

sassysis10

Ben seems like a pretty cool guy so far. He obviously cares about his friends since he didn't want to give up the shield. I like how he's going through the choices like in the game.

A

Azrael

Another great update, Azreal. I absolutely loved the description; part of me felt like I was playing the game. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

Ben seems like a pretty cool guy so far. He obviously cares about his friends since he didn't want to give up the shield. I like how he's going through the choices like in the game.

NO MORE SHAKESPEARE!!! And Ben is brilliant in his mental commentary of the choice part of the game (personally, I gave up the sword and chose the shield)

Dislikes... Could use a tiny bit more description. The Girl is Snow White, right? We know the scene, but to get more of ben's commentary describing it would be nice.

I admit that working the story into smaller chapters works best with me and I'm glad with the reviews. Hope for another chapter soon with Ben and his first fight with the Sincorazones.

lol. And I did my very best to make it like the game. Ben is a cool character and he'll pwn once you see him in his first fight. (Well not the one in the next chapter)

Urbane

Who in face are you?!

I"d be lying if I said I was interested. Renaissance based huh? This should be fucked up.

Fixed.

No offense, but renaissance/KH just doesn't do it for me.

Aside from that, the writing style itself doesn't quite leave me hooked. Sorry Azrael, but I'd have to say I'm not interested in the least about what happens next. But then again, I'd say the same about the majority of writing on the site...

But really, the story is moving slowly, and I easily drift away from the huge wall of text because it seems to be too much work to read it through to the end. But even if I do, I'm left unsatisfied. It's not in a way that means I want more chapters, but a better chapter in the one I just read.

A

Azrael

Fixed.

No offense, but renaissance/KH just doesn't do it for me.

Aside from that, the writing style itself doesn't quite leave me hooked. Sorry Azrael, but I'd have to say I'm not interested in the least about what happens next. But then again, I'd say the same about the majority of writing on the site...

But really, the story is moving slowly, and I easily drift away from the huge wall of text because it seems to be too much work to read it through to the end. But even if I do, I'm left unsatisfied. It's not in a way that means I want more chapters, but a better chapter in the one I just read.

Understandable but it's one of the drawbacks of dividing even larger blocks of text into smaller ones.

A

Azrael

Chapter Three: Regression of Light.

Now that I come to think.
Benjamin thought briefly, with his back turned at the mysteriously placed black imprint that was right behind the sword-bearing youth. I just want to get the hell out of here... Until now, all he cared about was to get the heck out of this place, dream, whatever it was and awaken back to the real world like he was moments before he slept the night before today. Believe it, he was serious in his adoration and love for his friends in his desire to not give up the shield that which the voice said granted him the power to protect the ones that he loved. ...and I want to see them. A boy most would consider too young to believe that he was a mercenary, his friends provided him with some normalcy.

Coast's clear.
Benjamin breathed in and then sighed deeply; the sword that he bore on his shoulders was certainly heavier than he hoped it would be. Dang! Who makes something this heavy? Unlike his two older friends, he was still just a kid despite already reaching the time of hitting puberty yet a year or two of mercenary service around the known world has done no favors for him, not even a six pack at that! His eldest friend, Terre made getting muscles so easy. It's a wonder why he managed to get Ura to like him. If only I could get some pretty to like me. Sigh. If only they were still here...

Swish. Swish. Swish.

Hearing the noise coming from behind him, Benjamin's eyes narrowed. Something's behind it. I know it. He swerved himself around and screamed. Oh shit, what the hell is going on. I am going to- He almost screamed as he jumped back as something pulled itself out of the ground and took form. What the heck?

It was a short ugly creature as everything on it was pitch black, just like the dead of night for the key exception of its eyes which glowed a bright yellow color. The only form of illumination in this dark realm and the creature resembled much like an ant, only bigger and with only four limbs. All of them looked identical to one another and were quite short. Two limbs moved around unsteadily, and its abnormally proportioned head dangled as it took a good look at Benjamin and threatened him with what looked to be claws.

Ew. Probably not as scary as I thought, but ugly as a male Viera! He chuckled a bit, calming himself down as he was amused by what he believed to be the black creature's poor attempt to scare him. Ben wasn't going to deny that the thing for those few seconds almost made him want to as the old saying goes, crapped his pants. Well in a few seconds later, Benjamin almost yelped as the creature made a jump for him and caught its claws on the youth's arm. Oh son of a bear! Get this thing off me! Wah! Having his sword on his other arm, he smashed the blade, using its sharp end and cutting down the small monster, causing it to wither away into a bunch of dark particles that dissipated into the air. Corrected. These things can give me a run for my money!

As
one was slain, others like it soon joined in the festivities that were about to commence. Man! There's more of these ugly things The monsters flattened themselves on the floor, and began moving around in formation, mostly behind the boy in order to get the chance to have the jump on him. Oh no you don't! thought the brunet, not wanting to have these things get the wiser than him as he turned around and slashed at some of the creatures. Take that! Diminished in numbers, the black creatures nevertheless pulled themselves up and began wobbling around, making the task of finishing them off seem much more easier although more continued showing themselves. Oh dammit, don't jinx yourself!

Seven or eight more monsters showed up and pulled themselves from the floor and eyed at poor, little, out-numbered Benjamin. These creatures weren't much different in appearance except they looked slightly more humanoid in appearance, and slightly is used very loosely here. In comparison to the other ones who were slain before, they had much longer limbs and sharper claws. Along with being more on the danger factor, they probably had a bigger chance to actually pose a threat to the youth. They were bigger and taller than the other ones.

Son of a bear! Won't these guys just stop and leave me the heck alone! Ben asked himself, retreating a few steps as he swung his blade at the approaching horde of monsters advancing towards him. Probably won't scare them off but I might get a lucky blow or two. -Pant- I'm getting tired...must rest. Laziness kicking in.

You must not give up, son of Lancaster!
The disembodied voice shouted to Benjamin's mind out of a sudden, quickly re-energizing the youth's drive to slay the creatures as they approached him. You can't just give up like that for it is not how a hero should act. Those Heartless coming towards you are relentless and will not stop until they are burrowing themselves into your body and consuming your heart. Do not give up!

Easy for you to say!
Benjamin was fortunate enough to take down two 'Heartless' with a swing. I'm the one doing the fighting for crying out loud!

As long as the light in your heart illuminates brightly, you will never fail in whatever endeavors you must do if you are to do your duty! Let light be your guide!
Again, this voice spoke out to Benjamin; her tone almost sounding like she was cheering him on as he fought the Heartless. Being barely educated, he couldn't understand completely what she meant by the light in his heart guiding him but it sort of gave the youth some comfort. He retreated back a bit, only to rush at the remaining monsters, exterminating them with a good series of hits and simple combos. Darkness will surround you at times such as then and you must muster the strength to fight these creatures of darkness. Do you understand?

Hm. Benjamin took the brief reprieve from slaughtering the monsters to think about it. Did he understand what she meant? Probably so but it didn't help him make much sense out of this dream that he couldn't seem to escape from. He nodded affirmatively. I think I do understand. Not everything but enough. More Heartless, a mix from the ones he just slain and the ones that first appeared behind him. Well, I defeated you guys so it won't be a problem. Hyah! shouted the youth, running towards the Heartless, swinging that little bitty sword around and killing them until there were none left. I got you all! Score for-

Ouch! Dang it!
Ben groaned as a Heartless jumped him from behind and began chewing the flesh attached to his slender neck. Get off me! He ripped the Heartless off him and threw it on the ground, then ending things before it had a chance to cover by smashing it on the head, causing it to disappear. Another tried to grab him from behind, this time consuming the clothes and skin on his back. Oh no you won't! Raising the sword up high, he swung it downwards and smashed the weapon's hard steel onto the black creature on his backside killing it instantly. Ugh. Of course the price was some discomfort, but it was better than having your flesh torn off by some thing.

This is it!
With each Heartless that he destroyed, one or two were always there to keep him busy but he wasn't going to give up this time around. Let your light be your guide! Benjamin dodge-rolled, avoiding an attack from above by one of the larger ones and decapitated the creature, spilling out dark liquids as the creature faded away or sprouted out a heart. He managed to cut down the numbers finally at a more reasonable level, just only two left. Go home! One slash did it and all the Heartless had been slain, only green orbs remained of the creatures.

Hm. What's this thing here? Ben thought, picking up one of the green orbs and looking at it. Hm. I wonder why these things were left behind. As soon it was placed on his hand, it dissolved into the palm of his hand and the brunet sighed happily. I feel...better now. Weird but a good weird.

Just when Benjamin thought it was over, the voice shouted in the boy's mind. Behind you!

There's more? Great.
exclaimed the youth, gulping his throat as more Heartless sprung up. No surprise. Oh well. More to fight. Benjamin charged at the monsters pulling themselves out and eliminated them before they had a chance to dangle their faces his way and attempt to fight him. More were appearing but it didn't faze him at all. Is that all you got now! Come on! Give me a challenge! proclaimed the youth as the creatures were cut down by the sword's power.

Just one more.
panted Benjamin as he tried to catch his breath while aiming his sword at the thing. And just maybe, all of this would be over. Now for sure, fatigue was getting to the boy and no words this time from some voice was going to convince him to continue while he was in this condition. Spirit's strong but sadly, my body had my spirit beat. Dang it... He was tired and with all those green orbs that could replenish his strength, you think he would have enough incentive to pick one of them up. But I'm tired. Briefly looking down then looking back up, he made an attempt to slash the creature but alas, it flattened itself and disappeared into the darkness beyond.

No energy left in the boy, or at least for now as he slowly descended down to the stained glass. His small, slender body crashed hard into the floor. Pain was null and void, due to the lost of consciousness as Ben's mind blanked out. As the ever-continuing present progressed around him, he was never noticed of the darkness advancing onto the circular area, specifically a liquid-like dark substance engulfed the stage entirely, including Benjamin's body who was secured tightly by several appendages that pulled him in to perhaps the next chapter in this crazy dream...

madammina

Ben's first thoughts were a little convoluted (When he's talking about growing up) But nice job again! You did a good job with the fights showing what happened, and Namine was very good narrator.

And I had to giggle at Lancaster. Just finished reading Henry 4 part 1.

A

Azrael

Ben's first thoughts were a little convoluted (When he's talking about growing up) But nice job again! You did a good job with the fights showing what happened, and Namine was very good narrator.

And I had to giggle at Lancaster. Just finished reading Henry 4 part 1.

His thoughts are a bit scattered and all. He thinks about Terre and Ura. His friends are implied to be dead

If it's a minor problem, I'll fix it. By the way, I know I'm drawing out the Awakening but I kind of had this as a prologue.

And yes, he is related distantly related to the House of Lancaster but it won't be a major plot point. Or will it?

madammina

Nah, not a problem at all. Just keep it in mind.

It's alright. I understand.

A

Azrael

Nah, not a problem at all. Just keep it in mind.

It's alright. I understand.

Of course. He tends to be distracted a lot so he thinks about a whole lot of things. In a way, Benjamin's an extension of how I acted when I first played KH.

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t

Once again, another great update. I really liked the reference to Final Fantasy XII; that is one of my favorite games. So, his two friends are implied to be dead? Just read your spoiler, and I'm just a little confused about that whole thing. Oh well, I'm sure all will be revealed in due time. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back