• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Apprentice Vanitas

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Okay to sum it his name is:
1. Latin for emptiness
2. Latin for vanity which can also mean no real value or hollowness
3. an anagram for anti vas, which means anti vessel
4. none of the above and just a name
5. Other

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Agreed, we'll have to wait this one out, because keep in mind it was a ROUGH translation, or maybe even a mistranslation

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
Vanitas is also near of the French word Vanité, which means Self-conceit. It's interesting since french is a language directly born from Latin.

I'm leaning toward the emptiness meaning.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Vanitas is also near of the French word Vanité, which means Self-conceit. It's interesting since french is a language directly born from Latin.

I'm leaning toward the emptiness meaning.

i dont tihnk it works like that but sure why not, this is better than most

Abbot

ArtLex on Vanitas
Latin for vanity, refers to a type of still life consisting of a collection of objects that symbolize death — the brevity of human life and the transience of earthly pleasures and achievements (e.g., a human skull, a mirror, and broken pottery).
Now that I think about it, DS' helmet kind of looks skull-like. But then again, it's meant to fit his skull.

Vanitas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word is Latin, meaning "emptiness" and loosely translated corresponds to the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of vanity.

And finally. The Oxford Dictionary of Art.
vanitas - FREE vanitas information | Encyclopedia.com: Oxford Dictionary of Art
vanitas (Latin: ‘vanity’ or ‘emptiness’). A type of still-life picture depicting an object or collection of objects symbolizing the brevity of life and the transience of all earthly pleasures and achievements.

I wouldn't doubt his name being Vanitas. BbS seems to have a pretty big Latin name thing going on. Well, for apprentices at least.

Allister Rose

French Lover
ArtLex on Vanitas

Now that I think about it, DS' helmet kind of looks skull-like. But then again, it's meant to fit his skull.

Vanitas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally. The Oxford Dictionary of Art.
vanitas - FREE vanitas information | Encyclopedia.com: Oxford Dictionary of Art

I wouldn't doubt his name being Vanitas. BbS seems to have a pretty big Latin name thing going on. Well, for apprentices at least.

again wiki doesnt have a source on it, but chevalier sombre already found a different dictionary proving it to be emptiness though other methods were obscene.

Axel's Fire

Website
www.youtube.com
i give up, so many definitions,

haha for real...

"Are you depressed? Do you cry at random times during the night? Do you scream at white walls and High School Musical posters? If so, then you ask your doctor about perscription Vanitas. One pill and you'll be feeling happier than Lance Bass in an all boys school!"

It would be nice to have a solid definition....

shiny milotic

Surfing the dunes with a red cloaked stranger
haha for real...

"Are you depressed? Do you cry at random times during the night? Do you scream at white walls and High School Musical posters? If so, then you ask your doctor about perscription Vanitas. One pill and you'll be feeling happier than Lance Bass in an all boys school!"

It would be nice to have a solid definition....

LOL.

As for the Vanitas' name, I think his name is pretty cool, and, honestly, I don't think it's girly.

banditbob

"Vanitas" is definitely a Latin word, an abstract noun meaning emptiness or vanity. There shouldn't be an argument over that, right?

Ikkin

Bronze Member
The problem is that vanus means void/empty and it also means vain?

The two translations are basically the same. "Vanity" has several meanings - one of which is "empty or valueless" (as in, "everything we did was in vain"). It's highly unlikely that Vanitas' name is a reference to the "conceited" meaning of vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back