• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Animals in Christianity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Because humanity is anthrocentric and naturally hostile to the idea that we are not either the pinnacle of organic existence on this planet or the most intelligent.

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net
∞;4921339 said:
Because humanity is anthrocentric and naturally hostile to the idea that we are not the pinnacle of organic existence on this planet.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. I guess this question was more aimed to Christians. So they could defend themselves.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Implying that organic existence is related to "the soul".

To answer the question, because animals/plants weren't made in God's image.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
The reason animals in the bible or wherever else are not considered to have souls or intelligence stems from that anyway.
Implying that organic existence is related to "the soul".
Implying I didn't go back to make my post more relevant to the question.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Out of curiosity, where does the Bible state animals don't have souls?

Genesis 1:26-27

26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

The idea "created in God's image" refers to the inclusion of a soul. Image is not referring to a physical form, because God has no physical form (countless times in the Bible, God is referred to as a spirit). To be made in "His likeness/image" can only mean that we are given a soul along with our physical forms. Nowhere are animals said to have been made in God's image (IE, given souls).

The Fishman

Keyblade Master

26Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

The idea "created in God's image" refers to the inclusion of a soul. Image is not referring to a physical form, because God has no physical form (countless times in the Bible, God is referred to as a spirit). To be made in "His likeness/image" can only mean that we are given a soul along with our physical forms. Nowhere are animals said to have been made in God's image (IE, given souls).

Were animals or humans created first?

Goes off of what Nevermore is saying and then some. The top is a link.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
hey guys

who did noah bring with him on the ark

whoooo~

oh that's right!
yep!

the animals!

good job <3

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Im a christian, yet I still believe my dog has a soul. He shows human emotions such as jelousy, saddness, worry, embaressesment, guilt, etc.

Having a soul is more than having emotion, it sets us aparts from other animals in that we are created in God's image and likeness, as Nevermore said. I agree that animals can show emotion, but you can't just think of a soul in that way.

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net

Okay, so my question to you is if you believe in Evolution? If you do, you would believe that humans will continue to evolve with time.

So,

1.) Why would we, a race not excluded from evolution/adaption, be in the image of God?

2.) Will post-homo-sapiens have souls?

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Okay, so my question to you is if you believe in Evolution? If you do, you would believe that humans will continue to evolve with time.

So,

1.) Why would we, a race not excluded from evolution/adaption, be in the image of God?

What do you mean by post-homo-sapiens?

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net
Were animals or humans created first?

Goes off of what Nevermore is saying and then some. The top is a link.

This whole bible thing implies that humans aren't animals.

Which is then kind of weird how we have animal cells. No plant cells or anything else.
But I guess, biologically humans and animals can be put in the same group. But spiritually (imaginarily), they can't.

You mean creatures without webbed fingers, no pinkie toes, a Mandark-sized brain, hairless-skin and the agility of a baboon?

There's no way to possibly tell what we would be. And from an evolutionary stand point, webbed fingers, pinky toes, and hair are good things.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

So,

If by evolution you mean "change over time", then yes I believe that. If by evolution you mean "common decent of all life on Earth" (or whatever the textbook definition is now), then no I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back