• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Re: Prononciation

That's right. its pronounced "chi" for a reason and "ex" would make no sense, just because the symbol looks like an X your gonna pronounce it 'ex'? how original. i'm not bashing anyone or anything...

It's not pronounced "Chi" for a reason.
If you read the quote below:

—There was a new type of Keyblade that appeared this time, changing the “key” in Keyblade to “X” (The X of the Greek alaphabet, pronounced “key”. It also has the meaning of “ultimate” or “death”). It’s quite an excellent name.
NOMURA: The name “X-Blade” was Watanabe (Daisuke), the scenario writer’s, idea. How the symbol X ‘crosses’ is symbolic of the crossing of dark and light. The members of Organization XIII get their names by adding an X to the name they had as humans comes from this. Also, the Nobody’s mark looks a lot like Eraqus’ symbol, but you can probably figure out that the reason this is has something to do with Xemnas.

Nomura doesn't talk about the pronunciation, the interviewer does. Nomura just says the "X" is symbolism for the cross between Light and Darkness. The "X" is there for a reason, the "Chi" is just how it is pronounced... either way it's pronounced in the English game, I wont care. To me it makes more sense for it to be pronounced "Ex" though...

Radar

Bronze Member

Maybe in English they will call it the ex-blade because the the kingdom keys together form that image.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

It's not pronounced "Chi" for a reason.
If you read the quote below:

Nomura doesn't talk about the pronunciation, the interviewer does. Nomura just says the "X" is symbolism for the cross between Light and Darkness. The "X" is there for a reason, the "Chi" is just how it is pronounced... either way it's pronounced in the English game, I wont care. To me it makes more sense for it to be pronounced "Ex" though...

It IS pronounced chi for a reason, as they are using the Greek Letter "X". It isn't just a X, it's the Greek letter, which comes with its own meaning of death and all that. Chi-blade is what makes it sound similar to the Keyblade and all that, as MX explains both in game and in the reports. Having it Ex-Blade wrecks all of that.

KingdomSoul333

Bronze Member

i realize it is pronounced chiblade but come on the weapon is made of an X and X is the letter than connects everything in the story, i vote of exblade...

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

i realize it is pronounced chiblade but come on the weapon is made of an X and X is the letter than connects everything in the story, i vote of exblade...
Yes... and the X is the letter of the Greek alphabet the entire thing is based on. ugh.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Put simply, it's the χ-Blade not the X-Blade.

i'm pretty sure when the add X to org 13 names they werent thinking of the greeks...
Well, it's connected to the CHI-Blade.

And the CHi-Blade's connected to the hip bone.

And the hip bone is connected to the...

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

It IS pronounced chi for a reason, as they are using the Greek Letter "X". It isn't just a X, it's the Greek letter, which comes with its own meaning of death and all that. Chi-blade is what makes it sound similar to the Keyblade and all that, as MX explains both in game and in the reports. Having it Ex-Blade wrecks all of that.

Chi sounding like Key is the reason MX explains they are different... not the other way around. If it was Ex-Blade then it'd make less confusion.

KingdomSoul333

Bronze Member

lets just fcuking see which name they decide to pick. personally if i see the letter X i'm going to think X and many other americans will, so making it chi will just make people confused..

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Chi sounding like Key is the reason MX explains they are different... not the other way around. If it was Ex-Blade then it'd make less confusion.
"A different Keyblade from those 3 realms. The name sounds the same but it is written as X-Blade, and it falsely resembles the Keyblade."

Ex-Blade does NOT sound the same.

lets just fcuking see which name they decide to pick. personally if i see the letter X i'm going to think X and many other americans will, so making it chi will just make people confused..
A perfect opportunity to educate these americans then!~

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

"A different Keyblade from those 3 realms. The name sounds the same but it is written as X-Blade, and it falsely resembles the Keyblade."

Ex-Blade does NOT sound the same.

Nomura has MX say that so people (the players) don't get confused!
It has no actual plot reason of that being stated!

A perfect opportunity to educate these americans then!~

I read at a college level, and can do college level math and I'm a Sophmore in High School.
I'm well educated.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Nomura has MX say that so people (the players) don't get confused!
It has no actual plot reason of that being stated!
Ugh. So what? They'll make it "Ex-Blade" and then just delete an entire line out of the MX Reports?
Use your head guys, please.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Ugh. So what? They'll make it "Ex-Blade" and then just delete an entire line out of the MX Reports?.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
They have to go back and edit anyways when they translate it, and Nomura said he was going to try and make the NA version less confusing.

Use your head guys, please

Insults: A sign of weakness when in a debate.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Sounds like a good plan to me.
They have to go back and edit anyways when they translate it, and Nomura said he was going to try and make the NA version less confusing.
The job of a localizer is to allow the game to reach a new audience while trying to keep the original creator's intent intact. Changing the name of a key plot device, deleting dialogue and lines from a secret report does not accomplish that, it only ruins it.

Insults: A sign of weakness when in a debate.
Too bad that wasn't intended to be an insult. Come on, I can come up with better insults than that. Give me some credit.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

The job of a localizer is to allow the game to reach a new audience while trying to keep the original creator's intent intact. Changing the name of a key plot device, deleting dialogue and lines from a secret report does not accomplish that, it only ruins it.

Then why has Nomura made it clear he wants to make the NA version less confusing?
Oh, wait, he's not a localizer, he's the director.
He can do what he wants.

Too bad that wasn't intended to be an insult. Come on, I can come up with better insults than that. Give me some credit.

I'll take your word on that.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards

Then why has Nomura made it clear he wants to make the NA version less confusing?
Was the name of a key weapon really all that confusing?
No, he was talking about certain cutscenes, he even says that.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Was the name of a key weapon really all that confusing?

Not to me, but to most people.
And it isn't changing the name, just the pronunciation.
The whole point of it's name is that "X" represents the cross between light and darkness.
It being "Ex" in the NA version would make sense to a much more amount of people who play the game, who are mainly kids (who have a reason to not be smart enough to understand, ie. they're young), and those who grew up with the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back