• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

HD Collection/Future Titles

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly

Since this is my first post here, I should go into detail about my situation. I've never beaten a Kingdom Hearts game (call me crazy). I've played maybe a total of 5 hours combined, but I think they're so much fun. Over the summer I bought a used copy of KH1 and was determined to play it. With my amazing luck, there were 3 things stopping me: My HDTV made PS2 games look terrible and very distorted. Second being my PS2 is dying, and third being every controller has something wrong with it. I got pretty mad and just threw the game into my entertainment center because I was unable to play it. Fast forward to last week. I randomly remembered the game and decided to give it another go. Sure enough, my TV made it look atrocious, and my PS2 is still on it's last leg, along with the controller.

I had recently been thinking of buying a PS3 because the new X360 update was clearly a step back and was aimed for Kinect users. That idea lasted a week because I simply had no desire anymore. For some reason, I'm still determined to beat these games haha. I know the only PS3 with online AND that plays PS2 games is the Fat 40GB model. Those were obviously discontinued years ago and the prices for those online are crazy high. So I started searching Google for news of a Kingdom Hearts HD Remake, you know, like the ones they did for GoW and Sly. Sure enough, no news except for KH3 not being worked on until 2012.

With my current situation, what should I do? I don't have an SDTV to play the games on, and my TV doesn't run Progressive Scan. I'm still debating if buying a PS3 would be completely worth it, and it's unknown as to what Sony/SE's plans are for KH right now.

Also I'm only interested in the main series so should I play KH1, Re: CoM, and then KH2? Thanks for all the responses I get.

Pratiko

Awards
I blame Nomura for making 9000 KH games on different platforms and with such a time gap in the making.

I got the 40gb ps3, but it has some faults when playing some ps2 games, like, unfortunatedly, KHre:CoM.
As of KH1&2, I haven't tested them.

But, well, if you can get a 40gb ps3 to play these games, get it, it's your best option, since you can use external HDDs or change the internal HDD if you need extra space, it has all the ps2 compatibilities, and has no problem with any ps3 game. Fat ps3>Slim ps3.

Wooly

Alright, thanks for the info!

Buying a fat PS3 poses 2 problems for me: The first one being a NEW model goes for about $600 if not more. Buying a used one is well, used. Of course the price isn't going to be sky high, but if it has problems I have to send it in and if it's unfixable they would probably send me a Slim model back. This isn't my only reason to buy a PS3, there's a few other games I want to get such as Killzone 3, Crysis 2, FFXIV (maybe).

I'm still undecided on what do right now. It's either an HD collection comes out or I have to buy a backwards compatible PS3. Which would have more benefits to it?

UltimaJackpot

Actually, 40GB PS3 models are the only ones that aren't Backwards compatible with PS2 games. (I own one.) The only ones that are backwards compatible with the PS2 are the 20 GB (Lacks Wi-Fi, though), 60GB (Most common one), and some 80GB models.(Backwards compatibility is a bit iffy on these, though, due in part to using software emulation, while the 20 & 60 GB models use Hardware emulation.) The 40Gb is only backwards compatible with PS1 games (Like all PS3s.)

A used 60GB (Or a 20 GB, if you don't really care about the lack of Wi-Fi) would be your best bet. However, you might want to to be careful, as the 60GBs tend to have the highest failure rate of all of the PS3 models, so just be careful.

Wooly

Wow I did say 40GB when I meant 60GB the whole time haha. No idea why I typed that instead. Online is a pretty big thing for me though, and plus I want to get Killzone 3 so online is a must. How high is the failure % of the 60GB's though?

I mean I could always just buy a Slim and hope an HD collection comes out but with my luck the lack of info we get from the creators, I would probably get screwed over. I take good care of my consoles though. My X360 only broke because of the newer games so it killed the laser. It's well ventilated, and in an open space.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd wait till the 10th anniversy and see if SE have said anything about HD remastered versions by then but if you you're lucky to find a 40gb ps3 before that for a rather good price then I'd go with that. If no remastered version then buy a cheap PS2

Pratiko

Awards
Giving it some more thought, you could also emulate the games through a very powerful computer. I've seen KH1&2 played on pcs. CoM can be played via GBA emulator, Days&re:Coded can be emulated, too. The only one that cannot be emulated would be BbS, since there's no PSP emulator as far as I'm aware of.

Wooly

The 10th anniversary is in almost 2 years, I really don't want to wait that long. My friend talked about buying a PS3 too last night and suggested we should get them around the holidays. Like I said, there's some other games I want to get besides Re:CoM and KH2.

I started looking on ebay, amazon, and other online retailers. Should I buy a 60GB or 80GB (BC model) PS3?

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I'd wait till the 10th anniversy and see if SE have said anything about HD remastered versions by then

---For the 10th anniversary there is talk of remaking the original Kingdom Hearts, what do you say to that?
NOMURA
: I recently had a some interest in making an HD remake; however, right now there simply isn’t time to make it.

don't count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back