• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I'm starting to get overly sensitive...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

AkiraKiyoshi

Awards
Website
aka-kami.deviantart.com
Please do take note that what I am about to discuss is a very sensitive subject; I'll be talking about religion, specifically Christianity. If you've got nothing nice to say then please, leave this thread alone.

I'm a Christian, an open minded one. I have nothing against homosexuals (in fact I support them), I respect your beliefs, and I think that the Bible shouldn't be used as life's manual. To me the Bible is a book you use to take inspirations from and to learn from, but it shouldn't be used to lead your life and tell you how to live it. God gave us free will.

Now, I'm pretty sure you guys can tell that I'm not a very devout Christian, in fact I acknowledge that I'm quite the bad example. But none the less, being a Christian has many criticisms that come with it, and that's where my problem comes in.

I've gotten very sensitive over the subjects relating to Christianity as of lately. I hold strong opinions both against Christians and Atheists, and though I haven't said anything about my opinions I feel like I'm being criticized for it by the people around me who discuss about these matters. It lies mainly on two specific subjects though.

Homosexuality. Many Christians think that it's so wrong because the Bible says that it's a sin. And I'll let them keep their own opinions and not shoot them down for it since it's what they want to believe (despite the fact that many Bible verses on the matter may be translated into different sentences). But I've only gotten frustrated over the matter and want to say something about it, but knowing that changing their minds will be difficult I avoid confrontation.

Another thing is the Christian vs. Atheist issue. Christians being dickheads towards Atheists and Atheists being dickheads towards Christians. Sadly I've been seeing more of the latter more than the former, but that's what I see as a Christian. I've never seen the other side of the matter so I can't really say anything about that //random rambling//.

Back to the subject, I'm getting skeptical about everyone because of this. Wondering if someone's Atheist, Christian, or any other religion. I don't ask, well duh that's just stupid and possibly offensive, but I can't help wondering about it and I'm starting to lose interest in humanity in general since I'm trying to avoid thinking such stupid thoughts. I don't want to be skeptical.

I want to think like I did before all of this shit, just living life normally not being easily affected by other people and their opinions.

So here I am, asking for advice on this self conflict I'm having... If you can call it self conflict.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
People hold opinions on subjects, and whether those opinions are influenced by their religious affinity shouldn't really matter all that much to you. You shouldn't be judging them based on that.

AkiraKiyoshi

Awards
Website
aka-kami.deviantart.com
People hold opinions on subjects, and whether those opinions are influenced by their religious affinity shouldn't really matter all that much to you. You shouldn't be judging them based on that.

I don't judge people based on their opinions, at least I've been doing that for the past 14 years. My main gripe here is that people's opinions are starting to affect my work ethic, my life. I'm not "judging" anyone.

Just to make things clear, I get curious as to what a person's religious status is due to fear that they won't accept me. I should've mentioned that on the op.

I know that I shouldn't let their opinions affect me at all, but none the less they still do. That's why I'm here asking for advice.

(sorry if I come off as an ass on this post)

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I don't judge people based on their opinions
I'm not "judging" anyone.

That's not what he's saying at all; he's saying not to judge people by their religion. You should judge people's opinions. What people believe is very much a part of who they are and a determinant in the likelihood of success in pursuing the relationship.

Just to make things clear, I get curious as to what a person's religious status is due to fear that they won't accept me. I should've mentioned that on the op.

You don't want to hang around people who will reject you because you're Christian. That sort of close-minded thinking is marginalization and prejudice, and it's unhealthy.

(sorry if I come off as an ass on this post)

Don't worry, you don't.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
The real thing you need to ask yourself is why it effects you. We can't go into your mind and figure out why you feel so insecure about differing opinions. You say you want them to accept you, but have they done anything to really suggest otherwise?

There will always be heated arguments between differing beliefs, but just because you have differing beliefs doesn't mean there's this constant state of hostility. I'm a Christian, and not everyone I'm friends with is a Christian. At the same time, every time we meet, we don't automatically get into some argument over whether there is or is not a god or what kind of god he/she/it may be.

The best advice I can give is that you simply have to accept the existence of other viewpoints. You don't need to constantly worry about who think which way, just accept that they exist. Accept that there will be people who will judge you because of your viewpoint, and that others won't.

It might not be the most pleasant thing to do, but it's a reality of life that you have to accept. Worrying about it won't change anything, after all.

AkiraKiyoshi

Awards
Website
aka-kami.deviantart.com
That's not what he's saying at all; he's saying not to judge people by their religion. You should judge people's opinions. What people believe is very much a part of who they are and a determinant in the likelihood of success in pursuing the relationship.

Ah, I see. Sorry I misunderstood;;
Also, it's very encouraging to hear that. :)

Thank you.

EDIT:
@ Nevermore

Thank you. I understand now.

To be honest, maybe just telling someone (in this case, posting a thread on it) was the best cure for this. After writing about it and posting it I've started to let go and feel better. I've been holding onto these thoughts for what was probably 3 months until today where I decided to write about it.

I was a bit worried, but now I'm glad I did this.

Last edited:

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

You so get me! <3

But yeah, that's more or less what I was going for. You have to judge people based on their opinions because it's part of what differentiates us as people, but whether or not they'r opinions are influenced by their religious affiliation shouldn't matter to you. You shouldn't judge the religion because religion doesn't define the person; you yourself are a prime example of that: you prove that not all Christians need to hate homosexuals or be pious in all actions.

Point is, everyone has a belief system of some sort, but that shouldn't really concern you. Religion is just a belief system; a matter of faith versus science, with a whole bunch of theories out there. But you should focus on your religion and not on what others believe. Don't let them threaten your way of thinking or infringe upon who you are. You can't be afraid of opinions.

AkiraKiyoshi

Awards
Website
aka-kami.deviantart.com
Point is, everyone has a belief system of some sort, but that shouldn't really concern you. Religion is just a belief system; a matter of faith versus science, with a whole bunch of theories out there. But you should focus on your religion and not on what others believe. Don't let them threaten your way of thinking or infringe upon who you are. You can't be afraid of opinions.

Thank you a million times over. Your post has made things clearer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back