• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Does alcohol change you, or show who you really are?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

krexia

Translator
Awards
To me that's not a sign of acting your true self. To me that's a sign of not knowing when (or for that matter: where ) to bonking quit thinking everything you come up with is "a good idea". (the only explanation I've been able to come up with) Before you ask, drugs were not involved. We didn't do that.
Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that lowers your inhibitions.

Whether or not a person with lower inhibitions is more "true to themself" depends on how you define who a person is. Like I said above, I believe we're defined by how we choose to act on our feelings, not by our feelings themselves.

For example, if I'm in a relationship and I feel sexual attraction to another man, that feeling alone doesn't make me a cheater. I'd be cheating only if I chose to act on that sexual attraction. Because of who I am, I'd choose not to. But significant amounts of alcohol would impair my ability to make that choice.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that lowers your inhibitions.

Whether or not a person with lower inhibitions is more "true to themself" depends on how you define who a person is. Like I said above, I believe we're defined by how we choose to act on our feelings, not by our feelings themselves.

For example, if I'm in a relationship and I feel sexual attraction to another man, that feeling alone doesn't make me a cheater. I'd be cheating only if I chose to act on that sexual attraction. Because of who I am, I'd choose not to. But significant amounts of alcohol would impair my ability to make that choice.

That's actually kind of where I wanted to go, but I guess I didn't put it in the right words. I've said it here before too (2nd post, you even quoted me on it) The idea was that I consider my personality when able to make a conscious decission to be the actual me, as opposed to the idiot that woke up in the park (seriously, that was cold :/ ) because of the intervention of an outside substance.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Who I really am, is not who I am when I'm drunk. Alcohol makes me pretty much everyone's best friend (usually) and sadly that's not who I really am. When you know me I'm really social and can be outgoing, but when I don't know you I'm shy and hardly talk, unless we find common ground early on. -shrugs-

Fractured_Heart628

Bronze Member
I think alcohol can do both. Someone that never drinked could automatically become an addict depending on rather their parent was a heavy drinker. Such is the case with my father, he was a heavy drinker according to my mom and there's a possiblity that I might be a drinker, because I go through a 24-pack soda in just like two to four days.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think alcohol can do both. Someone that never drinked could automatically become an addict depending on rather their parent was a heavy drinker. Such is the case with my father, he was a heavy drinker according to my mom and there's a possiblity that I might be a drinker, because I go through a 24-pack soda in just like two to four days.

But, soda and alcohol are very different.

ChaoticHeart

Wandering aimlessly through the blind eternities..
Who I really am, is not who I am when I'm drunk. Alcohol makes me pretty much everyone's best friend (usually) and sadly that's not who I really am. When you know me I'm really social and can be outgoing, but when I don't know you I'm shy and hardly talk, unless we find common ground early on. -shrugs-

Thats pretty much what I'm like too, I might wake up with a load of new phone numbers from people I don't even remember meeting.

Agoraphobia

beautiful days
Awards
Alcohol certainly alters how you act, but I don't think it removes a 'filter' to let you show who you really are. I believe that you cannot be who you truly are while intoxicated, because your mind is not 100% there and is being watered down by the alcohol.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Thats pretty much what I'm like too, I might wake up with a load of new phone numbers from people I don't even remember meeting.

I almost never forget what I was doing when I was drinking. :p

PowerIsNothing

Not the case with me. My father is a heavy drinker, I experienced it first hand growing up. He wasn't a happy drunk either, he wasn't good to be around. I have never touched alcohol in my life as a result and have not even the slightest interest.

I can't even go to a party where people will be drinking, as it makes me anxious and bored. That said though, I don't think alcohol changes you, it just brings the veil down.

Apollo

Silver Member
I just get really touchy when I'm drunk. I give everybody hugs and pats on the back. And I tell people how awesome and funny they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back