• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Roleplaying Tavern - Stop by for a pint!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Amidst a thick fog sat a quaint, stone tavern, its walls worn and dulled by both the sea's occasional wrath and the steady march of time. Above the door hung a simple lantern, casting a warm, welcoming light against the cold, dark walls of the tavern. Next to the lantern hung an old, wooden sign, the faded black words spelling out the name 'The Roleplaying Tavern' above an image far too faded to make out.

From outside, the sound of a piano could faintly be heard clicking away at a simple, little, upbeat tune accompanied by a pair of jolly, drunken voices, merrily singing a slurred, muddled song to the beat of the tune. As the old, wooden door slowly opened, a cloud of cigar smoke crept out of the doorway, crawling along the top of the frame before lifting off into the air in a small, puff of smoke. The unmistakable aroma of beer hung as heavy in the air as the thick cigar smoke that filled the tavern.

"Welcome, stranger!" a voice called out above the clicking of the piano and singing of the drunken pair. A large plump man stood behind the bar, slowly cleaning an empty mug with a white rag. "Why not rest your feet and have a pint? The first one's on the house."

~*~

Welcome to the Roleplaying Tavern, a place where the roleplaying community both old and new may gather together in discussion outside of roleplays and with other members of the roleplaying community, so that the community may become comfortable and grow closer.
People new to the Roleplaying section may, and are encouraged to, make a post in this thread, introducing themselves to their fellow roleplayers so that they might be able to get to know them better, as well as allow them to be more comfortable about roleplaying with other people.

The Roleplaying Tavern serves two main purposes:

I. Serve as a hub to welcome new roleplayers.
I, personally, have seen many people place up a roleplay and then never return to the Roleplaying section when the roleplay was passed up. Here, new roleplayers can feel not only acknowledged, but welcomed.
They can experience the roleplaying community they would have otherwise missed had they made a thread and left.
Here, members of the roleplaying community are also able, and encouraged, to pass on advice and help these new members, should they need it.​

II. Serve as a place for roleplayers to freely discuss subjects related to roleplays, writing, etc.
Generally speaking, discussions between roleplayers are limited to OoC threads and VMs, not allowing for the community as a whole to be able to openly discuss subjects pertaining to roleplaying.
Here, however, the roleplaying community can come together to talk about anything roleplaying-related: Such as ideas for roleplays, suggestions for roleplays or for the roleplaying section, projects you are working on, general roleplaying discussions, etc.​

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Re: The Roleplaying Tavern - Welcome

Noticeboard

Welcome to the Roleplaying Tavern Noticeboard, where we will keep up-to-date information concerning the Roleplaying section from both the community leaders and the members themselves. Here, you may make notice of any project you are currently developing or roleplay you are actively managing. Furthermore, you can look through the current community events or discussions at this easy stop, all-in-one index for the section.

Should be interested in appearing on the Noticeboard, simply make a post listing your active roleplays and developments, so that it may be freely edited at your own time, and it will be linked to from here.

Information

Here, you will find various information concerning the section, such as general rules or tidbits about your fellow roleplayers.

Community Events

Here, you will see information concerning community-related events, including community roleplays, contests, and discussions related thereto.

• The Roleplaying Academy -currently closed for renovations-
    "Where We Gather in the Name of Improvement."

Member Notices

Here, you will find notice flyers left by section members, detailing roleplays they have actively going and projects they are currently developing.

Roleplayer | Active Roleplays | Projects in Development | Flyer
OmniChaos | X

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
"Hello! Hola! Hallo! Bonjour! Hei! Szia! привет! 您好! こんにちは!"

A calm-faced, almost emotionless man sat at the bar, pulling out his own vintage from a random pocket, a small flask of dark red wine, the beautiful scent drifting out and invading the atmosphere of beer and smoke as he poured himself a glass, while a jolly tune was played in the background. He wore a what might have been an ordinary gray coat, divided near the bottom supposedly for riding on horseback, yet it periodically changed - at one moment, it would be a purple and gold shirt, with a tinge of green; another, and it was black as sin, with red threading at the edges and hem, strange white disks dotting the garment.

As someone sat next to him, inquiring of his name, or of anything in general, the blank face suddenly lit up, grey-blue eyes burning delightful holes into the questioner's face, the man beaming as he spoke.

"Who am I? Why - I'm The Professor, of course, unless you're asking about an actual teacher at a college, then I'm afraid this isn't the professor you're looking for, no? Unless you happen to have a penchant for scribbling - ah - writing, that is. Creative Writing, ne! You know - that gleeful little experience you get to have drawing out a character, nay, an entire universe, all in pretty text. Whether it's typed or written out is your nonsensical jubilee to celebrate over, though, if you really, really want to know - I prefer text."

He smiled cheesily after his sudden outburst, taking a moment to adjust his spectacles and adjust himself on the stool. The unfortunate person to ask made a single movement, and the tremendous tirade of tiddly-wink joy continued its invasion of words.

"What kind of Role-Plays I like, you say? Heh - well that's quite a simple question, if only one. I enjoy Original Role-Plays - namely anything within the Epic Fantasy and some other genres, but that one in particular - and Canon Role-Plays, though that is mostly confined to the Kingdom Hearts Universe, unless I find something that I have applicable knowledge of. Who's Role-Plays do I join? Well, there are some Role-Players that create these delicately delicious Role-Plays to die for, but I'm either zoned out by the Universe it takes place in, whether or not it's already started, or if I generally just don't feel like taking on another scribbling on my plate."

"However, in this Section of KHi Metropolis, there's some 'experienced,' you might say, Role-Players who most of the time have my shiny nickel and bottom dollar when they conceive Role-Plays - Omni, Ordei, and Ori, of course - generally when these three [Dwarves] smash their heads together, I'm usually waiting for the Role-Play they cunningly create to begin. After all, I do enjoy the Kingdom Hearts: Eclipse Role-Play very much so. That Universe needs such a darker side to it, ne?"

He took a sip of his wine, watering his whistle, swirling around the contents of the glass with a turning yet sturdy hand, pondering. The questioner made as if to leave The Professor's misbegotten company, and the hand swirling the glass set it down, ceasing the inquirer's exit with a gentle grip.

"A word of advice, yes?" The cheesy, cursed smile warped into dreaded seriousness as he took a moment for breath, and unveiled his [AHA!] trap card. "Always keep an open mind of others' writing - something may spark your interest or your dismissal, yet even then, don't be too quick to judge. Try not to look down on other people here, for even the smallest among us are capable of great things. Find your little hole here in this fantastical Section, and if it tickles your fancy, try and branch out a little."

"Try different Worlds, new Universes yet undiscovered - hell, go to the Arena and have a Battle or three if you so desire - but in all circumstances, have fun. If you're not having fun - which is undoubtedly pointless - then why are you here? Honestly, enjoy yourself here, comrade, for you are among friends - unless of course you're that one fellow who's been lurking in the alleyways, murdering people like that poor Administrator - Shamdeo, was it?"

"Regardless, if you find yourself burned out, too busy, or your connection to this wonderfully whimsical place is too tenuous for you to enjoy yourself here, take a break. Eat a snack, have dinner, peruse a tasty afternoon tea with utter sophistication and aristocracy - but don't forget, tedious traveler - that you are absolutely always allowed to return to this bright little dreary corner of the world."

The Professor released the now-probably-tired-of-his-speaking inquirer, and the person walked off to another part of the tavern, leaving him alone. He went back to swirling his drink, having only taken a few sips, attempting to rationalize why clockwise was simpler than counter-clockwise.​

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
So, does anyone have anything the want to talk about or discuss? Any new roleplayers want to introduce themselves to the roleplaying community? Or are we all going to remain tight-lipped about it? =X

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
So, does anyone have anything the want to talk about or discuss? Any new roleplayers want to introduce themselves to the roleplaying community? Or are we all going to remain tight-lipped about it? =X

I'll drop in a post here and in Eclipse as soon as my hectic internet issues are dealt with but:

thematically, what do you want to get across in a roleplay and what do you like to explore?

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
thematically, what do you want to get across in a roleplay and what do you like to explore?

I'll formally introduce myself here later--but to answer the question, I've always wanted to create a roleplay that captures that lost feeling of wonder and and discovery. I want a roleplay in which the world seems big, beautiful, and full of wonderful things. Hopefully, the Unseen Veil will partly achieve this (once I get around to actually moving the plot forward)...

Awards

I've always liked stories that focused more on character development, with a dynamic high stakes plot that drives them. The world is important of course, though I prefer it not become the main focus. It's the reason I couldn't get into FFXII. ;-;

Oh, mind if I do some shameless advertising here? I made an original RP, and I'm wondering if anyone's interested in it.

link

Endless Strategy

I think that a roleplay at its best is something that feels like a world unto itself (however, canon role plays should seem like part of their original source). To achieve this, the characters, the plot, the setting all must mix well together, at best seeming like a story one might read at a bookstore. I also think it's very difficult to achieve this, (obviously) so I'm still only enrolled in one RP so far (and yes, Omnichaos, Ordeith, Orion: that is a compliment).

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

Something I've wanted to do, and hope to do so in "R.E.M. - Reality, Existence, Mentality", is dive down into the fun, mushiness of the human mind and toy around with it. To not only have the characters, but those behind the characters, really think about or even question things that they perceive as fact. What could be more fun than having everything someone knows turn to dust around them?

Chromatic

Become
Awards
I've been in what I feel is a massive roleplaying rut lately. Like my interest in it has been slipping, or that otherwise, my ability to appease my own expectations of myself have grown lesser. Is there any remedy for this that someone could point out?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I've been in what I feel is a massive roleplaying rut lately. Like my interest in it has been slipping, or that otherwise, my ability to appease my own expectations of myself have grown lesser. Is there any remedy for this that someone could point out?

"Watch movies. Any kind will do, really. Those tend to give me a few mind-joggers every now and then."

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
I've a question for our community: Apart from the basics, such as plot, concept, and quality, what drives you toward or from certain roleplays?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I've a question for our community: Apart from the basics, such as plot, concept, and quality, what drives you toward or from certain roleplays?

"Ah, new friend, to answer your question - it's whether I feel the Role-Player who created it is competent enough, strictly speaking, with writing. You can create your fabulous little sandbox for us to build all our own castles - but if you lack a nice, flowing structure of words, kiss me goodbye."

"I'm a bit of a elitist in that regard at times, especially if I'm going to try and enjoy myself doing this; however, if I have that 'flash of genius,' then I'll put on my literal mud boots and wade through the muck of misspellings and sentences cut far too short for my taste. I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi to the core, but unless someone wants to have me tell them what they did wrong, I won't typically say anything. "

"I just try to keep my nice mask on, you could say."

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards

As with the Professor, I look for competent roleplayers--although I try not to be biased in favor of old pals.
Sometimes, I have an idea for a character that has brewed in my head for a while, then stumble across a roleplay that would be perfect for that character.

In fact, I've recently been nursing a (nebulous) idea for a roleplay that budded from a few different character concepts. It's the reverse of how I normally work, but it might just yield something...

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
A hoy hoy! I have finally arrived in this most glorious e-stablishment! *Laughtrack*

Allow me to answer a question, now.

The amount of effort people seem to have put into it, to be perfectly honest. Do the roleplayers actually care, how fleshed out is the world, etc.

A roleplay with a really good basic concept... I'll sometimes join it just for the opportunity to flesh it out myself, but roleplays like that die quite often...

Also, Orion, Ordeith and OmniChaos should be known as the O-team, I think. It seems... fitting.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Keep an eye peeled for "The Last Christmas" in the original roleplaying section, a Christmas-themed roleplay to get us in the mood for Christmas and to keep that spirit alive after it has come and gone. Everyone is invited and encouraged to take part in the roleplay to help reinvigorate our community and, of course, to have fun with one another as the tale unfolds.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Keep an eye peeled for "The Last Christmas" in the original roleplaying section, a Christmas-themed roleplay to get us in the mood for Christmas and to keep that spirit alive after it has come and gone. Everyone is invited and encouraged to take part in the roleplay to help reinvigorate our community and, of course, to have fun with one another as the tale unfolds.

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of le Monster Madness, dear fellow.

:(

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards

Would it be presumptuous to ask for a few details about this?
I'd love to lend a hand, if possible. If not, you can still expect my full participation.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Bah! I doubt this needs any real explanation, but I'll give one nonetheless.

I'm sorry about "The Last Christmas" and not actually putting it up. I was distracted with a lot of things and I really didn't feel engrossed in the Christmas spirit this year, mainly due to a stockpile of bad emotions during the several months leading up to December. That and I was rather late to forming the idea, with only like a week till Christmas.

So, instead, I've decided to place it aside and post it up next year, this time well in advance.

Back