• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why did KH2 suck to everyone??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
You did. If you wanted to try out Mickey. :3
I got Mickey three times in one battle. And then died and didn't get him a fourth time.

But on the second attempt I got him again! :p
I don't think KH2 was so bad, in fact, it's one of my favourites. It was just the awkward dialogue, it was way too easy and as I've noticed the game is quite long and gets repetitive at times. But people make out the game to be more bad than it actually is, I think.

Yeah, this is what I think. Also, at least they fixed the camera system from KH1 (I'm sorry, but when I have two joysticks in front of me I'd like to use one for the camera).

I can't wait to play KH2FM so I can try Critical.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
The story and presentation were awesome, but the gameplay left a lot to be desired, it was fun the first few hours, but by the end of the game, all I had to do was press X once and Sora did a quadruple flip spin kick super ultra jumping attack that lasted 5 minutes lol the only way to make it challenging is to unequipped some of the abilities.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Honestly, if KH2 had been KH2FM instead, the game would have been much better for the fact that KH2FM at least had the complete vision Nomura said he wanted or whatever. However, even then we get a lot of faults in it that aren't exactly "best game eva" material.

-The prologue with Roxas was way too long in my opinion. I love Roxas, but God was it long. The only thing that saved it for me was Twilight Thorn and Axel. The prologue should have been shorter and had Roxas actually be the hero of the game instead/with Sora because I just felt that part went on longer than the opening credits for the Spider-Man movies.
-Kairi. Yeah, I don't like Kairi (at all), but I want Kairi to actually become a much better character than she was portrayed in KH2. From what we can infer, she never once mentions Riku until she reunites with him or the scene with Selphie, but she basically brushes him off even though he almost got eaten by a crazy pedo darkness Billy Zane. Then, she gets kidnapped three times: the first time with Axel, another Axel kidnapping when she escapes, and then Saix. Seriously?! Way to just shove her in the plot. Oh, and don't even get me started about her "fighting" scenes. Her character basically got downgraded (as did most of KH2's characters). BbS Kairi was better if for the fact she actually decided herself to sit this one out.
-Character development. Sora turns stupid, SDG feels peculiar whereas CoM SDG was probably my favorite representation ever of them, little of the Org. was shown even in FM so characters like Demyx, Luxord, and Xaldin felt ill-developed. Axel turns kind of... obsessive like Rachel in the middle of Season Two of Glee. The only characters I found that were solid and nice were Roxas (albeit crazy), Namine (thank god she got barely any screen time or else they may have ruined her), Rikunort/Riku and Mickey. Oh, and Auron.
-None of the worlds except original worlds connected. And even then, FF characters in said worlds have no place in the real plot. Basically, they took the things KH1 did (and CoM tried to emulate using memories) and tossed it out completely. The worlds felt more like side-quests rather than actually part of the game.
-Pixie YRP.
-Atlantica.
-The Keyblades were pretty iffy, even compared to BbS's which, while kind of nice, felt iffy due to repetition through characters.
-Barely any battles with the Org. until the end of the game.
-The world's stories should have been focused upon in one visit. Two visits made the game feel longer than it ever should have been.
-Platforming was gone completely, there was no strategy needed, magic system sucked, summons were pointless, and drives just made an already easy game easier. If anything Anti-Form saved that aspect since you could either a) revert, or b) play as Anti-Form but be careful not to get severely injured since you couldn't heal.
-Plot holes and unnecessary unanswered story details that could have gone in here.

The only redeeming factor was the (probably unintentional) SoRi scenes.

I can;t think of anymore right now but I'm sure I can later. And this is the fact that KH2 was the first KH I ever finished, and used to hate CoM which I had before it. But replaying CoM and then getting KH1, I realized just how bad KH2 is in the series. Even Re:coded which was entirely pointless had better writing and was an actually enjoyable game (Data Riku!) despite recycling worlds for the fortieth time. I love KH2, don't get me wrong. But it was bad. It's like the awkward pubescent age of the KH series. Though, I did like Sora and Riku's designs, which I wish we could see more often since, as much as I love the KH1 forms, I want to see something we haven't yet/as much.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Chrono Mizaki

I wouldn't be so quick to call the guy an idiot even I had my dislikes with BBS, and to be fair Imo I think BBS sometimes gets a pass because it's on a handheld and I can't bring myself to criticize it too much like I do with KH2 because of that fact.

As for KH2 itself just think of Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn part 1 and you'll see why I hate it so much lol.

Okay okay maybe not that example, but a run down the list ease of gameplay, the fact there is no sidequests, worlds are a giant hallway, and that's just the tip of an iceberg.

I beat the game complete without fighting Sephiroth in the span of 3-5 days all without dying and on Proud Mode what makes this a little worse I'm no hardcore gamer or at least I don't consider myself in the slightest. It really felt like Sora was overpowered from the very beginning and while the reaction commands looked cool they over did it you had all the time in the world to pull them off. Plus most of the time the reaction commands are half the boss battle I feel like I didn't do anything sometimes.

The Drive Forms while a great/cool concept implemented wrong actually maybe it's not even that, but none the less as it stands there was really no need for any forms besides Valor and Anti-Form.

The Story okay the only thing I will say on this is that it's just done wrong. I'm not a literature person at all, but even I know when a story is bad and this one wasn't that great.

One thing that irks me this is probably my own little gripe is I remember in KH1 the worlds use to be question marks and it added to Kingdom Hearts Mysterious aura that the game had. Plus just like on the back of the first cover it said "You'll never know who you'll run into next." I miss that about this series.

Lastly the worlds themselves not going to go into the revolving around the plot part of it all, but they were seriously giant hallways and honestly the felt smaller because of that. If you compare Twilight Town and Traverse Town it doesn't even matchup with the places plus the sidequests you can do.

P.S Small thing, but a huge pet peeve of mine THERE WAS NO LIFE! in the game it felt empty and lonely. In Mulan once you defeated I forgot I think it was Shan Yu when that crowd was standing outside the palace that pissed me off.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
KH2 had this unspoken rule that the more important the character is to the story, the less screen time he had. OrgXIII were the main antagonists yet barely appeared in the 1st half. Riku was mostly a no show until the last world.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
P.S Small thing, but a huge pet peeve of mine THERE WAS NO LIFE! in the game it felt empty and lonely. In Mulan once you defeated I forgot I think it was Shan Yu when that crowd was standing outside the palace that pissed me off.
tumblr_lw8l8oYlF81qcbdpro1_500.png

LordPhantomhive

Awards
KHII was good, but it was pretty easy with the combat lacking even more depth then the first one. Also the beginning part with Roxas is too long and mostly boring, which turns me off at times when I think about playing through KHII again.

Are those trees lol? Well at least it better then the invisible crowd at Olympus Coliseum in BBS.XD

Last edited:

Watanuki-kun

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I wasn't so disappointed on Kingdom Hearts unlike my friends back in my home. They complained alot about the plot but I thought it manage to do Exactly what Kingdom Hearts stands for. My only problem was that the gameplying were easier then before. I loved the first game because not only it was my first vidoe game but it was challenging. They ruined it with all these Tringle buttons.
Curse you tringles T.T

axel95

Awards
KH2 is my favorite game in the series, despite the easy gameplay (wasn't all that easy when I was 10). But as far as complicating the story, no game did that more than BBS, but DDD is making a strong case of changing that.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
KH2 is a good game. But, as a sequel, it was just bad.
The gameplay was waaaaaay to easy. Sora was practically invisible. And then, sometimes when you died during a boss fight, Mickey saves you. Drive Forms had you much more powerful. Dodge Roll was gone.

Plot-wise, the script was terrible ("You gonna cry!?" smh. Only memorable dialogue was, "Got it memorized?", but only because Axel said it lots of times) Maleficent and Pete were thrown in just for the sake of a main Disney villain. There was nothing like the Disney Villain Meetings in KH1 to create some suspense. Most Disney worlds were irrelevant. 2nd visits were shit. Roxas had too big of a Prologue (like, about 2 hrs. compared to Sora's dream in KH1 being 15 minutes). The Organization was absent much too long in parts of the game. Kairi's character went from okay to shit. Sora went from cliche clueless hero to completely idiotic hero. Then, the whole Ansem wasn't Ansem, but was Xehanort, who is also Xemnas, and real Ansem is DiZ, thing could of been handled much better.

KH2FM+ seems to of fixed a lot of the problems with the plot, though.

both are mediocre games, but in different ways

^this
My main problem with BBS is that character development was shit. Complete, utter shit.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
KH2 was a fine game.

In my mind, it was marred by nearly (but not) everything following Roxas's reunion with Sora, up until you complete the Pride Lands and start visiting the Worlds for a second time. The actual plot of the story didn't even kick in until then, and a KHII re-release that removed most of that margin of the game would work really well for me. The strength of the story, both at the beginning and after the first Disney run-through, really astounded me, though. KH2 built on the universe of KH in such a great way, polishing character elements from CoM (my favorite game so far) and introducing a lot of great new ideas which have defined pretty much all of the games that have come out since. I also loved the voice acting in the English localization: Haley Joel Osment, Brittany Snow, Quinton Flynn and, surprisingly enough, Jesse McCartney (who has only gotten better with each game) all brought a great deal of finesse and gravity to the roles they played.

Unlike a lot of people, I didn't mind that the gameplay was easy. I'm not huge on really challenging games, though, in the first place; more often than not I get frustrated and wonder why I'm spending so much time on one level or one obstacle when my real desire is to see the story unfold. I prefer challenging puzzles and interactive environmental trappings to combat-oriented hindrances and boss battles that just never end. Even so, I did prefer the level of difficulty of KH1. Then again, I loved the card system CoM utilized (it's probably my favorite game play variation thus far, although I wouldn't want it to apply to the entire series), which is pretty unpopular.

So, yeah. I'd take on anyone who tried to pin KH2 as a bad game. It wasn't a bad game: arguably, it was weaker than some installments in the series, but I'd say it's on pretty equal terms with Birth By Sleep as a main title. It had a properly epic feel to it and a captivating premise that has flourished ever since. If we really think about it, KH2 is the game that kicked off the Xehanort saga proper. Got to give it credit for that, at least.

TheKHPlayer

What? KH 2 sucked? Not for me.

The game was short and I understand it; it's the graphics that inspired me to play Kingdom Hearts in the first place. I wouldn't say it sucked, but I'm glad it's a better turnover than most sequels today.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Chaser my point exactly that crowd seemed to have no life to it just being real about it.

@ alexis.anagram

Well be prepared to take on at least 70% or more of the KHI forum members just saying lol.

Btw the english voice actors except a couple were god awful.

Last edited:

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
to easy, to much filler, gameplay in the first half of the game is pathetic.
I still like it though but not as much as I used to. I wish I could just skip the Disney worlds now.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
Aerith is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that had terrible voice acting.

Edit: Actually the beginning where they had the flashback to Ansem SoD and the VA wasn't Billy Zane made my ears throw up a little.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Reagan Rayden

Ansem SOD, Aerith, Xemnas(surprised) his voice got on my nerves cause he always sounded as if he's trying to have a conversation with himself constantly. Actually he sounded like Xavier Renegade angel if anything.

I actually didn't like any of the Org XIII members voices except Luxord, Axel, and Saix

As for Sora his was annoying to listen to all game long it's almost like his balls dropped, but in the wrong way.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
I think the main reason why I alot of people hate KH2, was because of how easy it was, with those commands and what not that totally finished off the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back