• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

EU Version of DDD only with English, French and German subtitles.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yes, and the younger you are the easier ;). I think the pinnacle age to efficiently learn new languages is 21, after that it becomes difficult.

I think it is a bit hard to slap an age on that. It is definitely true that the younger you are, the easier it is. 21 isn't that magical age where your brain suddenly just shifts and stops taking in knowledge efficiently. 21 is usually the age where people fully enter the workforce, and when they finish college. After that, people rarely get the chance to exercise their mind the way formal education does. You usually know how to do your job via training and after that you tend to stop learning things outside of the skill set you need for work.

With formal education, you're forced to learn or fail, so your mind is usually in the mindset to retain knowledge. As long as you exercise your brain, you can really learn as much as you want for as long as you wish. Age will definitely begin to hinder that growth down the line, but I wouldn't say 21 is where it gets harder. If anything, It'd be closer to middle adulthood where you find it slightly harder to retain information because your body is entering the downslope of growth.

I am inclined to agree with everyone about SE not bothering to fund the dub in other countries due to fearing a loss of money. But, wouldn't boycotting it, like you seem to be dead set on doing now, only do the opposite of what you want? I mean I have never boycotted anything before, but I don't know, you seem to think not buying the game will change their mind about translating it when people not buying the game are the reason they aren't translating it in the first place... So it would be counter-productive? Maybe? (If I am way off base here, I apologize)

I would be more inclined to agree with what Spock said and to try and show Square that you all do car, and that you do want this in your language. And if that doesn't work, then an online guide made by fans is a decent alternative. I am not fluent in Japanese, just as you are not fluent in English, yet I know enough to get me through the basics and I have enjoyed many Japanese games. I mean that is just my two cents...

This, all this.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Ofcourse, many don't need to learn the english language, but wanting to play this game IS a "need", and so instead of crying about, why not rise to the occasion and learn english for the sake of what you love?

I feel like that comment could be taken offensively by some people, just saying. I consider myself a very big fan of the series, but I did not learn Japanese for the sake of the FM's. Actually, I didn't get the FM's yet (I plan to this year after DDD gets beaten), but I wouldn't say that because I'm not learning Japanese I'm not any less of a fan. You know what, disregard what I'm saying, I guess what I'm saying right now could be taken offensively and I don't want to start any argument...smiley face :D

I wonder how hard it is to learn English? I heard that it's actually one of the most difficult to master. Is that true?

Sadly for the Final Mixes, the hardest languages in the world to learn are apparently the Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc.) which sucks for those who would like to learn Jap. for the FM's xP

Naw, Mandarin Chinese is harder. English is easy, but we have a ton of grammatical rules, but that goes for any language. It just depends on how easy it is for you to take in a new language that makes it difficult.

Mandarin Chinese is also the most spoken language in the world (because of China's population). Let's just make everything easier for the world and have everyone speak Mandarin Chinese since it is the most spoken [/sarcasm]

But, wouldn't boycotting it, like you seem to be dead set on doing now, only do the opposite of what you want?

Honestly, boycotting it or not boycotting it can end up being good or bad in the end. If everyone boycotts it, SE might think that it isn't worth shelling out the money on future games to dub it in languages it wouldn't sell well in. However, if it does sell well, SE might think that even without dubs their games can sell well, so why shell out the extra money when they don't need to...so...I really wouldn't know what to do on their end right now...besides me upset.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mandarin Chinese is also the most spoken language in the world (because of China's population). Let's just make everything easier for the world and have everyone speak Mandarin Chinese since it is the most spoken [/sarcasm]

I see you have used Wikipedia as your source. Mandarin Chinese has the most native speakers. English is second, but the amount of people who speak some English or have learned it after their native language WAY higher than Mandarin Chinese. The combined amount of people who know some English and are fluent is somewhere in the billions.

Why is that your response to my comment? She asked if English was hard and I told her no, Mandarin Chinese is harder. Not that we should be learning it.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Why is that your response to my comment? She asked if English was hard and I told her no, Mandarin Chinese is harder. Not that we should be learning it.

Honestly, it was just a fun fact ;D The more you know!!!
the-more-you-know-o.gif

It related to your post and I did want to mention that Mandarin Chinese was the most spoken language (at least native speaker-wise) so I used your post as a way to jump to the topic :D Thanks...even if I was wrong <_<

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I think it would be awesome if they've included Japanese dub/subtitles as an option but seems unlikely.

Arkrend

I think they just misunderstood your post, and was making a general comment towards the previous subject about fans in Spain and Italy learning English. That's why the first quote was a quote of whatpower's comment about learning English because it's common.

I think the real issue is that Square is breaking a precedent. Their game isn't going to be properly localized for fans in countries like Spain and Italy.

Bad localization is a common issue in various countries in Europe.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I remember the dissidia 012 localization was pretty bad.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think they just misunderstood your post, and was making a general comment towards the previous subject about fans in Spain and Italy learning English.

No, he didn't xD Kupo commented because he wanted to

I remember the dissidia 012 localization was pretty bad.

Do expand on this, Roku

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
It was the French version I think. It was half French and half English.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Is the North American version including these extra subtitles as well? I would like it just for the extra convenience.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It was the French version I think. It was half French and half English.

Oh that's fail :<

Is the North American version including these extra subtitles as well? I would like it just for the extra convenience.

Probably not. Never seen a KH game with the choice of alt language subs.

TepidShark

Awards
I thought Pacey would be upset about it but I think he usually gets the NA versions of these games anyway.

Did Birth by Sleep have Spanish & Italian subtitles? (Says me, an obviously ignorant American.)

Last edited:

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
How could they not have Spanish. That's like a de facto.

Any Hispanic hackers want to do an Espanol Patch?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The spanish location (if it could named like this) was shit. The story subs were translated, but the rest (menus, abilities, etc...) were in english.

It was a rush job, for sure. It also had one of the shortest localization times for SE, so it is obvious some things were rushed along the way. Looks like the languages were hit

How could they not have Spanish. That's like a de facto.

Not exactly. From what I've noticed, Spanish speaking countries generally don't bring in as much profit as other countries when it comes to games, mostly because of pirating and the economic climate within the countries.

Any Hispanic hackers want to do an Espanol Patch?

There can't be a patch because the system hasn't been cracked yet, and probably won't be for awhile. This is probably Nintendo's best work against hackers and piraters in recent years. Hackers the very reason why companies are nervous to invest in things like localizations. :|

Last edited:

Claire-Farron

Well, I'm sure we can all understand why everyone is upset over it, but you can't necessarily compare it with KH2. That game had a far larger budget so they were actually able to afford dubbing and subbing into so many languages. I'm sorry this pushed you away from buying the game.

I'm guessing then the reason Square did this was because of budget reasons?

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
If I recall correctly 3DS adoption rates in Spain and Italy weren't great -- possibly having to do with the countries' economic situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back