• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cosplay and costume thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Cosplay thread!

Model magic is godly. I used it for my horns. =w=

I believe snazaroo is another brand of creme liner, right? :eek: not sure, I used ben nye products personally.

I will say this: Ben Nye stays on everywhere else but your hands, due to the sweat, it's hard to fight that, so that's why near everything for my cosplay gets covered in grey... But for the face, it stays on for kupoing ever, only fading on your nose, forehead, etc. if you're wearing it like all fucking day and sweating like hell, but since your con is in oct, no real issue, right? It's easy to touch up, just carry it around with you if need be.

Last edited:

impart

Climb The Sky

in not sure about the creme liner part, I know my sis used it for eyeliner on other people, we did the whole batman villain gang, and she did all of the costumes
but that's another thing about the Snazaroo, it dosnt come off easily, and it wont stain anything

no offense to any homestuck cosplayers but I always leap out of the way when one is going to walk by me in a crowded dealers hall, Ive heared sometimes the grey makeup will come off onto your clothes and stain depending on the makeup choice of the homestucker, so I try to avoid walking past them.

do you notice things like that when you are dressed as homestuck at cons, Annoyance?
I always feel bad when I dodge them like that, but I figure its so crowded they probably dont notice

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I always tried to avoid touching people with my hands but otherwise everything stays on. Ben nye doesn't stain, but you never know what people are using, some people are kupoing idiots and don't powder so yeah.

Also, creme liner is just the cakes in the little trays like the picture of the make up I had for all my group. Those were all creme liner.

My best advice is that if it looks really patchy and wet, avoid touching, if it looks smooth and natural, you're good.

Last edited:

impart

Climb The Sky

Yeah most of the time when I got up close to them they were just wearing grey nylons on their arms and legs, bu still, I try to be careful

So you make your homestuck horns with model magic?
have you worked with any material besides that?
ive worked with model magic once before and didnt like working with it, but I think I was using it to do the wrong thing and it kind of just fell apart

Ive tried paper clay and liked it a lot better, but its heavy and takes a long time to dry, and its probably not practical for any props that need to be lightweight

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

paper clay and sculpey are also commonly used. Anything that's sandable, really. You can use a base of wire, tin foil, styrofoam, insulation foam, etc.

Some horns were full mm like mine, which were small and didn't have any cracks, some needed wood filler or spackle and all needed to be sanded smooth. Then they were painted and mod podged with the matte finish.

Also with arm socks, you really have nothing to worry about then, they obviously know what they're doing hahaha.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So while writing down basic shopping lists for the girls I plan on cosplaying in the future, I think my safest, somewhat easiest and cheapest bet would be Marceline.

I'm thinking of getting this wig for her when I get my next paycheck.
Enchantment wig - long and straight

This is my first wig so I'm probably going to be calling up my cosplay buddies to help me style this thing but, I may re-use this same wig for Vriska? I'm not 100% yet.

After I get the wig it's kind of just finding out what outfit I want to do more. And you know. Bass-axe.

On another note, would any of you like me to do a demonstration for Ben Nye application? :eek:

I GOT AAAAALL DIS MAKE UP AND NOTHIN' TO DO WITH IT.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So I'm reviving this a bit because I do need help. I got my Marceline wig and the one I got was a suggestion from a cosplayer of her so I trusted them and holy shit I'm happy I got it...
buuuuut I have no idea what I'm doing at all so I'm pretty scared to take it out of the package again. ;A; I don't want to break it.
I ended up getting this.
2zyvn8p.jpg

It's freaking pretty as hell and I don't think I'll even need to cut or style it [much] for Marceline...

But, like I said, I have no real idea what I'm doing so before I even take it out of the package I want to know how to do everything. Any help guys?

Also a make up question:

I'm doing facepaint again using the Ben Nye I still have for Vriska, except I'll be adding another white in it to make it paler, use troll grey as shadow and regular white as lighting accents.
But for her lips I'm unsure what to do. I could either just do a plain slate of the light light grey, use troll grey as lipstick, or use black lipstick. Marceline's make up, in my head, is somewhat simple as compared to Vriska, so I'm probably leaning on the grey lips... But I'm really not sure!

What do you think?

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, nobody's posted but I do want to give a heads up to anyone looking in here because I'm announcing this year's halloween contest soon.

So yeah get a costume ready yo. =w=

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards

Well, nobody's posted but I do want to give a heads up to anyone looking in here because I'm announcing this year's halloween contest soon.

So yeah get a costume ready yo. =w=

Thanks for the heads up.(even though I am reading it 6 days later)
Maybe I can actually participate this year.
EDIT:Wow just saw the thread. XD

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Thanks for the heads up.(even though I am reading it 6 days later)
Maybe I can actually participate this year.
EDIT:Wow just saw the thread. XD
Yeah I figured nobody'd notice my small little thing but I really wanted to get people knowing about it sooner and all... OH WELL. :D

Hope you can though! :D

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Two friends and I are doing our patron trolls for Halloween. Any thoughts on what type of makeup to use to get gray skin?
Which would those be?

I personally use Ben Nye creme liner. It's a bit of work at first, but you get used to it. I'm thinking of making myself arm socks to save time on the arms.

http://www.mspaforums.com/showthrea...ated-Cosplay&p=4167924&viewfull=1#post4167924 This tutorial here by hanyaan is what a lot of people follow. The make up will be a bit costly, but seriously, it stays on really well as long as you set it correctly with powder and spray. I sincerely suggest it.

I buy it from either here or here.

Protip: ORDER IT NOW. They are nearly always out of stock. Try to check Camera Ready and order whatever they don't have in stock from FunShop. It's a high requested item now because of Homestuck I'm guessing. But, yeah. ORDER IT NOW IF YOU WANT IT IN TIME.

Depending on which trolls you're doing, you may be able to just share the two troll grey dishes and save money.

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Fun cosplay tip of the day #135:
If you're going to get a 5 foot wig, you should probably invest in a wig head of some sort to support and store it properly.

Don't use a Stimpy doll to hold it.
tumblr_mb934ohWyO1qbjoxmo1_500.jpg

This will definitely backfire on me eventually.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
Fun cosplay tip of the day #135:
If you're going to get a 5 foot wig, you should probably invest in a wig head of some sort to support and store it properly.

Don't use a Stimpy doll to hold it.
tumblr_mb934ohWyO1qbjoxmo1_500.jpg

This will definitely backfire on me eventually.

Wow yeah that is probably not a proper wig display. XD
Omg Lapras plushie <3

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wow yeah that is probably not a proper wig display. XD
Omg Lapras plushie <3
I'll probably get one in the future with my next paycheck. Somehow Stimpy is still holding up as I type this. Also Lapras = <333

I might be doing that make up tutorial soon enough. It's going to be time consuming I know because I have to record, fast forward, voice over, etc. u_u But, hey. I said I would.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm working on a tips video for the halloween contest [that people should TOTALLY POST ON] today, is there anything I should cover that I can't think of?

I'm also probably going to put up a suggestions and recommendation video separately for this thread. Probably quickly cover what to do for using Ben Nye/Ben Nye creme liner-like products. Maybe.

For now, I'm going to suggest anyone doing anything Vampire/Werewolf/whatever for Halloween, GO TO VAMPFANGS. They always have such amazing deals on stuff and they're super nice.

Realistic Vampire Fangs and Special FX Make-Up - Vampfangs

It's where I got my Scarecrow fangs [which I cannot rave enough about, I love them to death.] and my black lipstick I use for girl troll cosplays. [I use eye shadow on top of chapstick for the boys.]

I wanted to post this now because they have a deal going on for free shipping [for an order over 20] with the code FREESCOTT.

I suggest jumping on that while you can, it expires at midnight.

impart

Climb The Sky
Interfacing is like the stuff you iron into the inside of fabric to make it stiffer/stronger and add more body to it
its used on things like the inside of purses and aprons .

Im a bit concerned with it not being breathable, the vest is going to be over another shirt so I don't want to get too hot wearing it in the summer and stuff
and im also worried that it might look too stiff,
If I just picked out some thick fabric, I feel like it would be stiff enough, but I was wondering if anyone had experience making vests with interfacing, if adding it would be a good call or not.

Back