• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What should the resolution of Kingdom Hearts 3 be?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I see that, but the main question would be what actual importance does this have for the next saga at all? "Potentially" and "Someday" doesn't help for the current story at hand at all and would only detract. Such a sentiment is more something for an epilogue of the next saga, or even, leading to:

I guess it could work as more of a character driven plot point rather than one that pertains to the overarching plot because it could show that the characters are "growing up" and are making long term goals akin to high school students trying to decide what college or career they want to pursue. Although the general idea of the characters trying to figure out what they want to do with their futures is probably not something that could be carried throughout the rest of the series anyway, it doesn't have enough "meat" on top of it not being that big a deal in the long run.

there were people who disliked the ending to harry potter? i wonder why? i thought it was fine

Being a casual HP fan I was lukewarm about it. It just felt very clean and "perfect" I guess, maybe a little too perfect. I admit I did find something really hammy about the way things concluded.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I guess it could work as more of a character driven plot point rather than one that pertains to the overarching plot because it could show that the characters are "growing up" and are making long term goals akin to high school students trying to decide what college or career they want to pursue. Although the general idea of the characters trying to figure out what they want to do with their futures is probably not something that could be carried throughout the rest of the series anyway, it doesn't have enough "meat" on top of it not being that big a deal in the long run.

Being a casual HP fan I was lukewarm about it. It just felt very clean and "perfect" I guess, maybe a little too perfect. I admit I did find something really hammy about the way things concluded.

i think rowling stated in an interview that she likes to see people rebuilding their lives after war. plus there was plenty of death and sacrifice in deathly hallows.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
i think rowling stated in an interview that she likes to see people rebuilding their lives after war. plus there was plenty of death and sacrifice in deathly hallows.
That's not the point of what was being said. HP was just being used as a comparison to show how "passing on" the power to wield and then having nothing come of it would likely generate backlash.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

More than I handled, and I am a big fan of the series. Then again, how many time have we seen the "Next Generation" trope? Alot, too many, dunno? I don;t want to series to end with us seeing whoever's child. I never saw the backlash, but I can guess it was murder.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
That's not the point of what was being said. HP was just being used as a comparison to show how "passing on" the power to wield and then having nothing come of it would likely generate backlash.

i was responding to ruran about the tone of the ending, taochan

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
i was responding to ruran about the tone of the ending, taochan
It's a public discussion so other people are going to weigh in and it still isn't the point.

Giving a view of the next generation is giving the audience an impression that they will likely see the series continue with these new characters, just like HP. And just like HP, KH is one character's story. It may involve other characters and show their journey but when all is said and done it all is Sora's.

What J.K. Rowling intended for the ending is not the issue, it's what was implied by showcasing the children and it's what would be implied by ending the series with showcasing Sora with a next generation of wielders.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
More than I handled, and I am a big fan of the series. Then again, how many time have we seen the "Next Generation" trope? Alot, too many, dunno? I don;t want to series to end with us seeing whoever's child. I never saw the backlash, but I can guess it was murder.

I'm pretty sure it's nearly as overused as most of the romance-, family- and damsel-in-distress tropes around.
What is "too much" is also often an individual perception that cannot be truly generalized.

It was, although a significant part of it may also come again from rabid shippers who are pissed that their ships got sunk, but that applies to the whole book of Deathly Hallows, not only the ending.

It's a public discussion so other people are going to weigh in and it still isn't the point.

Giving a view of the next generation is giving the audience an impression that they will likely see the series continue with these new characters, just like HP. And just like HP, KH is one character's story. It may involve other characters and show their journey but when all is said and done it all is Sora's.

What J.K. Rowling intended for the ending is not the issue, it's what was implied by showcasing the children and it's what would be implied by ending the series with showcasing Sora with a next generation of wielders.

Amen to that.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
getting back on topic,

one thing I want out of the resolution of kh3, is a satisfying end to xehanort. Obviously he cant die by traditional methods so I'm curious how Nomura is going to end the old man for good

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
He can die by traditional means. It is just a matter of eliminating all other form of himself first.

I thought up a ridiculous scenario once where Sora would go into Xehanort's fading heart and talk to him in Xehanort's last few moments, and Xehanort (I imagine Young Xehanort considering it was in Xehanort's youth that he decided to seek out new worlds) would concede that maybe he was the one who knew nothing after all and Sora would be there with him until the end because even after being put through hell because of Xehanort, he isn't the type of person to leave anybody alone.

While it would be a very Nomura-like thing to happen, Xehanort has an antisocial personality (he's manipulative, sees others as items rather than people, disregard for the safety of himself or others, chooses to detach himself from others), so on a purely psychological level I doubt this is something he'd ever say at any point of his life. Xehanort would probably die thinking he was the smarter man, but maybe have a bit of remorse over the fact that he spent about 90 years learning and planning and doing just for it all to be torn apart by an idiot boy and the power of friendship. He wouldn't be able to understand and acknowledge it was his own fault and that he was the one who didn't understand and that he wasted his life away being alone, going after fruitless endeavors, and always wanting rather than living his life in a fulfilling manner. So maybe he'd die alone just as he lived because, in the end, he deserved it.

However Nomura decides to approach Xehanort's ultimate demise, I'm sure it will be something that satisfies the fans.

Odium Crop

Banned
Given all that has happened thus far in the Kingdom Hearts series everything has led up to the final confrontation between the 7 Seekers of Light and the 13 seekers of darkness what do you guys think will be the final outcome for Kingdom Hearts 3 do you think it will be a more darker outcome or do you think the final resolution will be more of a happy ending? Feel free to speculate all you want; I'm interested in hearing what you guys think the final outcome of Kingdom Hearts 3 (or more specifically the seeker of darkness chronicle) will be like.

I want one of the main characters to die and be gone for good. I am not going to say who, and I am not even sure yet, but this series has had something of a problem with taking the concept of death seriously (seeing as how, for an example, there is still a chance that Master Eraqus can return). I think that a main character's death, even if it is sad and unexpected, might be beneficial to the series in a way. I will be quite disappointed if everyone is alive and happy in the end, to be totally honest. (The key word is 'everyone').

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
However Nomura decides to approach Xehanort's ultimate demise, I'm sure it will be something that satisfies the fans.

I would guess many ways are possible to resolve this, the only way Nomura could probably let the majority of the fanbase flare up in rage is if he decides to redeem/spare Xehanort and he suddenly becomes a good guy.

I want one of the main characters to die and be gone for good. I am not going to say who, and I am not even sure yet, but this series has had something of a problem with taking the concept of death seriously (seeing as how, for an example, there is still a chance that Master Eraqus can return). I think that a main character's death, even if it is sad and unexpected, might be beneficial to the series in a way. I will be quite disappointed if everyone is alive and happy in the end, to be totally honest. (The key word is 'everyone').

The series does not have a "serious concept of death" and it never had. The first game ended with the mass revival of tousands of worlds together with their inhabitants.
The series has enough drama and sad stuff already with fates worse than death and every ending of every game had a bittersweet note to it so far.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
He can die by traditional means. It is just a matter of eliminating all other form of himself first.

I thought up a ridiculous scenario once where Sora would go into Xehanort's fading heart and talk to him in Xehanort's last few moments, and Xehanort (I imagine Young Xehanort considering it was in Xehanort's youth that he decided to seek out new worlds) would concede that maybe he was the one who knew nothing after all and Sora would be there with him until the end because even after being put through hell because of Xehanort, he isn't the type of person to leave anybody alone.

While it would be a very Nomura-like thing to happen, Xehanort has an antisocial personality (he's manipulative, sees others as items rather than people, disregard for the safety of himself or others, chooses to detach himself from others), so on a purely psychological level I doubt this is something he'd ever say at any point of his life. Xehanort would probably die thinking he was the smarter man, but maybe have a bit of remorse over the fact that he spent about 90 years learning and planning and doing just for it all to be torn apart by an idiot boy and the power of friendship. He wouldn't be able to understand and acknowledge it was his own fault and that he was the one who didn't understand and that he wasted his life away being alone, going after fruitless endeavors, and always wanting rather than living his life in a fulfilling manner. So maybe he'd die alone just as he lived because, in the end, he deserved it.

was xehanort always antisocial? I mean he did consider eraqus his brother when they were students

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
was xehanort always antisocial? I mean he did consider eraqus his brother when they were students

I'm not saying he is antisocial. I'm saying he has an antisocial personality disorder. There is a key difference. You can form personal attachments, but you saw how easily he killed Eraqus to further his goals. People with antisocial personality disorder will build and break those kinds of connections at their convenience because they don't see people as people but as tools. They choose not to interact with people. Antisocial personalities can also easily charm people and act outgoing but it is still an act.

Antisocial personality disorder is something exhibited even in childhood (it isn't called that, though) so this is not something that crops up later in life. And we see Young Xehanort is just as bad when he got pissed and said "Hands off my new vessel!" This is a boy who has no sense of human worth.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm not saying he is antisocial. I'm saying he has an antisocial personality disorder. There is a key difference. You can form personal attachments, but you saw how easily he killed Eraqus to further his goals. People with antisocial personality disorder will build and break those kinds of connections at their convenience because they don't see people as people but as tools. They choose not to interact with people. Antisocial personalities can also easily charm people and act outgoing but it is still an act.

Antisocial personality disorder is something exhibited even in childhood (it isn't called that, though) so this is not something that crops up later in life. And we see Young Xehanort is just as bad when he got pissed and said "Hands off my new vessel!" This is a boy who has no sense of human worth.

true. I just thought that xehanort's feelings for eraqus was at the time geniune.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I have a strange feeling the combination of Terra, Eraqus, and Isa will have something to do with Xehanort's downfall. Terra is obviously fighting the old coot from within, and Isa I think may possibly be redeemed (ala Snape in HP). Plus, in DDD, Braig seemed... odd during that "friends are my power" scene. He seemed a bit... afraid? Incredulous? Idk. But then he sorta screwed his face up, and went back to being "normal". Could it be that seeing Sora's power and belief in friendship, he momentarily broke free of Xehanort's control?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
true. I just thought that xehanort's feelings for eraqus was at the time geniune.

He probably did have genuine feelings, but being genuine and really caring about what happens to them and how to treat them doesn't really end up being the same thing.

... Except for Re: Coded.

I don't know...Knowing Data Sora won't remember anything and that Journal Namine is nothing but a vehicle to get a message to the real Sora was pretty bitter.

Odium Crop

Banned
I don't know...Knowing Data Sora won't remember anything and that Journal Namine is nothing but a vehicle to get a message to the real Sora was pretty bitter.

Well, if you were to compare its ending to the ending of just about any of the other games, I should think that it is far from the most sad of all of them.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well, if you were to compare its ending to the ending of just about any of the other games, I should think that it is far from the most sad of all of them.

I agree on some level. The endings of days and BBS where far more tragic and dark

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The observaton was however not which was the most tragic or darkest ending but that there was not a single completely happy ending in the series so far.

---

As for Xehanort caring for Eraqus, that was mostly just an act and/or adhering to social customs, not genuine warm feelings from Xehanort's side.
Alone how he words it in his reports:
Upon reflection, my life underwent the most considerable sea-change when I arrived at that place. Yes, it began when I found a Master, and another I would later call my brother—when I found a new home.

He states that in a stern matter-of-fact-tone, with putting the most emphasis on the change that happened and not that he found someone to call brother, that's just given away as a sort of side information.

Skimming through Xehanort's entire reports again, there is almost no real emphasis on human interaction and bonds at all as he's always preaching about himself, his goals and ambitions.

Another hint is this:
Eraqus and I did not see eye to eye. I left, and wandered the World. This was perhaps the first time I felt truly free since that day I departed my boyhood home. But free to do what?

This indicates that Xehanort sees other individuals, especially when they don't share his ambitions, more as a hindrance than anything else.
It's saying much that after some time passed while he trained together with Eraqus at Land of Departure he came to see it as just another "prison" holding him back.

Even when he took in Ventus it was for the sole purpose of using him either as a vessel or for the X-blade.
And that was when I met Ventus and made him my pupil. We were destined to meet, and I could sense the potential within him, but the boy was too benign for his own good. I came to the conclusion he was too frail to serve as a vessel, and decided to use him for a second purpose I had in mind.

He doesn't treat people as people, but just as tools and pawns for his ambitions. Only his wishes count and everyone has to either serve those wishes or get swept out of the way.
It may have started out as antisociality, but the older he got the more it turned into pure egoism and complete disregard for any living being and will outside his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back