• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth By Sleep Play Arts petition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanitas_Booker

It's never been stated, but the Play Arts Kai line is much more detailed and from what I read, they might be a bigger too which might explain why the Grid ones are bigger.
Well, they do seem like they may be on a different scale, but the detail is outstanding... my Sora was in New York on the 14th, and is shipping to Atlanta... hopefully it won't be too much longer!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Well, they do seem like they may be on a different scale, but the detail is outstanding... my Sora was in New York on the 14th, and is shipping to Atlanta... hopefully it won't be too much longer!

My figures aren't even shipped yet :( and now I wait...I would hope that the figures are bigger given the highly increase price point.

On a side note, the Play Arts Arms set was up on Ebay for auction below:

Kingdom Hearts Keyblade Play Arts Arms Set Roxas Sora Riku Static Figure | eBay

and I was hoping to find out what the real value of the figures was but we will never know. If you look at the top 2 bidders, they've only ever bid on this one seller's auctions so this auction is shill bidded. That essentially is an illegal maneuver where the seller bids on their own auctions to bring up the prices, which is stupid -__- Oh well, but fear not people who don't have the set, it isn't worth $300 <_<

Vanitas_Booker

My figures aren't even shipped yet :( and now I wait...I would hope that the figures are bigger given the highly increase price point.

On a side note, the Play Arts Arms set was up on Ebay for auction below:

Kingdom Hearts Keyblade Play Arts Arms Set Roxas Sora Riku Static Figure | eBay

and I was hoping to find out what the real value of the figures was but we will never know. If you look at the top 2 bidders, they've only ever bid on this one seller's auctions so this auction is shill bidded. That essentially is an illegal maneuver where the seller bids on their own auctions to bring up the prices, which is stupid -__- Oh well, but fear not people who don't have the set, it isn't worth $300 <_<
Why not just buy these, drill a hole in the handle so the figures can hold them, and then do some detailed painting?
Oblivion and Oathkeeper Keyblade by Silverbeam on Shapeways
They're around the same size as the play arts key blades, and they cost a fraction of the price! :)

kupo1121

Awards
Why not just buy these, drill a hole in the handle so the figures can hold them, and then do some detailed painting?
Oblivion and Oathkeeper Keyblade by Silverbeam on Shapeways
They're around the same size as the play arts key blades, and they cost a fraction of the price! :)

Besides the 3 missing keyblades (both Ultima Weapons and Three Wishes), there is something overly satisfying about knowing that you own every Play Arts Kingdom Hearts figure and keyblade. Having those are cool, but they are just aren't the real McCoy xP

Vanitas_Booker

Besides the 3 missing keyblades (both Ultima Weapons and Three Wishes), there is something overly satisfying about knowing that you own every Play Arts Kingdom Hearts figure and keyblade. Having those are cool, but they are just aren't the real McCoy xP
Yeah, but for someone who just really doesn't want to spend 300-400 dollars on just a few keyblades, I feel like it could work! :) They look relatively detailed too....
How much were the play arts arms originally? And my question is, are they really actually WORTH over 200 dollars, or did they just randomly become rare and people ask insane amounts for them?

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Actually, I know what you were saying but I think they do both.... I had the model viewer as well, and what's funny is that there are certain points that you can make the character a lot shorter or taller, and yet their features stay the same size. Look at Vanitas for example. He can be the same height as kh2 sora if you stretch him too, but he just naturally looks longer and more muscular, so calling him up a bit and making him taller than sora looks more cannon to the games. A lot of times, I think the developers change the angles to make the haracters look shorter/longer... Who knows why... Get what I mean?
Well, yeah. For instance, the shot in KH1 of Ansem SoD as his Guardian appears behind him for the first time.....the camera angle and move make him look very tall, coupled with his floating ability.

love my new play arts figure of Wisdom Form. Can't afford any newer ones right now though. :(

Vanitas_Booker

Well, yeah. For instance, the shot in KH1 of Ansem SoD as his Guardian appears behind him for the first time.....the camera angle and move make him look very tall, coupled with his floating ability.
Yeah, I get what you mean....
Which, Ansem definitely is not short, that's for sure... But the camera angles sometimes make him look like a giant!

Vanitas_Booker

And it's obviously played for some effect. He looks very powerful in that moment.
Yeah!
I believe that a lot of the time it's for an effect, but other times it's just a plain mistake.

Okay, so I'm going to rant really fast. I just went on the Square Enix comic con 2013 gallery and guess what? NO KINGDOM HEARTS ANYTHING. No formation arts, no play arts, no plush, NADA. And you know what? I'd be fine with that... but Play Arts needs to get off of their lazy butts, and stop making Batman, Star Trek (I kid you not, they have Star Trek figures), Dead Space, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Aliens, and street fighter figures and START MAKING MORE KINGDOM HEARTS FIGURES. They need to STOP making figures for games that they don't even own....
They showed off sooo many figures there, and they had almost all of the figures from the Final Fantasy VII movie... so if they can make a butt load of Final Fantasy VII figures (of characters that no one cares about, none the less.... they have the weird dog thing... how many times was he seen in that movie? Like 2?) why can't they make the important characters from Kingdom Hearts apart from Sora and Riku? I mean, I really don't care anymore WHO it is, as long as it isn't another Sora or Riku! I mean, I'd take a Terra, Ven, Aqua, Vanitas, Xion, Master Xehanort, Xemnas, Ansem, Donald, Goofy, SOMEBODY! I just wish they would stop waisting their time on all these useless figures who everyone actually already has (they re-did the Vincent Valentine figure and the Yuffie.... did that really need to happen?) and START making the figures that people like me and everyone else on here wants. I think they do an excellent job at making figures but enough is enough.....

I sent in a really long and detailed complaint to the customer support (I wasn't rude though)... I know it probably won't do anything, but hey, I wish some of you guys would do it too. It might actually cause some kind of impact.

Last edited:

kupo1121

Awards
Yeah, but for someone who just really doesn't want to spend 300-400 dollars on just a few keyblades, I feel like it could work! :) They look relatively detailed too....
How much were the play arts arms originally? And my question is, are they really actually WORTH over 200 dollars, or did they just randomly become rare and people ask insane amounts for them?

Here's the thing. No, the keyblades are NOT worth $200. They are probably worth over $100. However, if you look at that auction that recently ended somewhere close to $400...IT WAS RIGGED! The seller bid on the item themselves (and won it themselves) in an attempt so that later on, they will relist it (probably $400 Buy It Now) and say "last time I sold it it sold for $400 so I'm expecting that much this time too" even though they rigged it for $400. It's a giant problem on EBay but what can you do :(

Originally they were about $50 for the whole set of 5 New In Box. They became really rare for reasons nobody actually knows, I assume it's that SE made VERY limited quantities thinking that they wouldn't be popular since they were only keyblades and now anyone who wants them can't find them <_<

I kind of agree. I think Square Enix definitely has something going with their great Play Arts Kai line and I understand why they make characters from Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Batman: Arkham, and Street Fighter. I mean, they all target the video game fanbase. That being said, I do agree that they are going a little bit off track. I didn't mind the Batman Dark Knight figures since they were already doing Batman, but I think Star Trek and this new DC line (that isn't even inspired by any movie) is just dumb. I agree that they need to focus a bit on their own properties, which they do whenever a new game comes out.

So do not worry, you will see KH3 figures when KH3 comes out and the like, just like you saw DDD figure when DDD came out. I just think it's unfair that Days, BbS, and Coded (even though Coded really didn't have anything to offer) got the short end of the stick.

Vanitas_Booker

I kind of agree. I think Square Enix definitely has something going with their great Play Arts Kai line and I understand why they make characters from Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Batman: Arkham, and Street Fighter. I mean, they all target the video game fanbase. That being said, I do agree that they are going a little bit off track. I didn't mind the Batman Dark Knight figures since they were already doing Batman, but I think Star Trek and this new DC line (that isn't even inspired by any movie) is just dumb. I agree that they need to focus a bit on their own properties, which they do whenever a new game comes out.

So do not worry, you will see KH3 figures when KH3 comes out and the like, just like you saw DDD figure when DDD came out. I just think it's unfair that Days, BbS, and Coded (even though Coded really didn't have anything to offer) got the short end of the stick.
Days ATLEAST deserves a Xion, and BBS atleast deserves Aqua, Ventus, and Terra. Coded didn't really have any new characters though, so that's understandable.
I don't understand them selling all of these figures that aren't their own property. I mean, could you imagine Disney selling figures for a movie like Predator? Or maybe even Disney selling figures for a movie like Friday the 13th? It just doesn't make sense! I don't care HOW good of quality the figure is, if the figure isn't of a property that you have created, I don't want to buy it (unless you are just a toy company like Neca or mcfarlane, who just own the rights to things... but Square Enix made play arts. They are a Square Enix company)
I like their Batman figures to a certain degree... ONE Batman, ONE Joker, and ONE Catwoman would have been fine... they don't need every version (and not to mention, they don't even have my favorite version nor my favorite villain....)
If they released a BBS line or a KH Villians line, just IMAGINE the profit that it would make. You can look up all over the internet "Birth By Sleep play arts" and suddenly ,BOOM, people are asking tons of questions about them, and asking where they are, and stuff like that....
I really just think that Square Enix Play Arts is one of those companies that DOESN'T give in to popular demand... they just sculpt what they feel like sculpting.
UNLIKE toy companies such as Neca who literally have sculpted things and released them just because a good bit of people want the figure, and since they have the rights to it, they do it...

kupo1121

Awards
Days ATLEAST deserves a Xion, and BBS atleast deserves Aqua, Ventus, and Terra. Coded didn't really have any new characters though, so that's understandable.

I honestly don't think they really care about Xion lol I mean, in terms of characters who need Play Arts (that aren't villains since it seems like SE doesn't like making villains) I would like to see KH1 Kairi, KH2 Riku, Donald, Goofy, TAV, Xion, and Namine. Yet, all of them (besides maybe TAV who I'm still holding out on) have a very slim chance.

I don't understand them selling all of these figures that aren't their own property. I mean, could you imagine Disney selling figures for a movie like Predator? Or maybe even Disney selling figures for a movie like Friday the 13th? It just doesn't make sense!

Well Disney is a kid's company while Predator and Friday the 13th are rated R and are mature, adult horror flicks. SE is a pop culture company and all they things they are releasing fits with their demographic so it definitely makes more sense than that lol

I don't care HOW good of quality the figure is, if the figure isn't of a property that you have created, I don't want to buy it (unless you are just a toy company like Neca or mcfarlane, who just own the rights to things... but Square Enix made play arts. They are a Square Enix company)

I want to agree with that, but I cannot since I have to buy the Poison Ivy, Bayonetta, and Chun Li Play Arts figures (which are owned by Rocksteady, Platinum Games, and Capcom respectively lol).

I like their Batman figures to a certain degree... ONE Batman, ONE Joker, and ONE Catwoman would have been fine... they don't need every version (and not to mention, they don't even have my favorite version nor my favorite villain....)
If they released a BBS line or a KH Villians line, just IMAGINE the profit that it would make. You can look up all over the internet "Birth By Sleep play arts" and suddenly ,BOOM, people are asking tons of questions about them, and asking where they are, and stuff like that....

The thing you have to keep in mind is that the Batman fanbase will always be leagues greater than the Kingdom Hearts fanbase, so SE is almost guaranteed to make more money off of another Batman re-release than an Aqua, Ventus, or Terra figure (individually I mean). It's sad but true and I think that's what is stopping them. Not to mention, I would have been fine with 1 Sora, but no...we need to surpass 10 -__-

Vanitas_Booker

The thing you have to keep in mind is that the Batman fanbase will always be leagues greater than the Kingdom Hearts fanbase, so SE is almost guaranteed to make more money off of another Batman re-release than an Aqua, Ventus, or Terra figure (individually I mean). It's sad but true and I think that's what is stopping them. Not to mention, I would have been fine with 1 Sora, but no...we need to surpass 10 -__-
Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Batman.... And I just might end up getting one of the Batman play arts figures. But, I just think they are making ALOT of them, y'know?
1 Sora would have been fine with me as long as they replaced those Sora figures with other characters. Now, I will say, maybe one Sora and one Riku from each game would have worked. I would have loved to only have KH1 Sora, KH2 Sora, Dream Drop Distance Sora, and then a ton of the other characters! :)

kupo1121

Awards
Yeah, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Batman.... And I just might end up getting one of the Batman play arts figures. But, I just think they are making ALOT of them, y'know?
1 Sora would have been fine with me as long as they replaced those Sora figures with other characters. Now, I will say, maybe one Sora and one Riku from each game would have worked. I would have loved to only have KH1 Sora, KH2 Sora, Dream Drop Distance Sora, and then a ton of the other characters! :)

I do agree that they make too many Batman figures. The worst part is that they aren't even different versions of Batman. Making Batman from the Dark Knight, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and their own version is fine since those are 4 completely different version of Batman (just like KH1 Sora, KH2 Sora, DDD Sora, etc.). Where I think they cross the line is when they release, LE San Diego Comic con Black/White Arkham City Batman which is the exact same figure of Batman from Arkham City, just pre-production and not painted. Here are my gripes with that:

1) It's the exact same figure model
2) They just got lazy and didn't even paint it
3) They are increasing the pricetag slightly on something that has less effort in it.

I do think they are making a lot though and I would like they focus on KH. They clearly aren't dropping their own games though since they have had a constant stream of FF figures every now and then. Not as many as they used to (they made the entire main cast of FFXIII, but they never made a Noel figure for XIII-2. I know, the second protagonist of a huge game and they never made him), but a nice amount still.

My problem with all the Soras isn't the fact that they're Sora, but is pretty much like my problem with the Batman things. The Sora they used for most of the figures is the exact same model. KH2, Valor, Wisdom, Master, Final, and Limit use the exact same model and while it makes sense that they should, I think instead of making 5 other figures with new clothes, they should have made 1-2 brand new figures with different models (KH2 Riku was an obvious choice at the time).

If they were planning on doing a different Sora, I kind of wished it was one that was very different that required a new model, like Christmastown. I've always secretly (not so secret anymore) wanted them to make an Atlantica one but that'll never happen purely because I don't know how they get the tail to work really well.

Vanitas_Booker

I do agree that they make too many Batman figures. The worst part is that they aren't even different versions of Batman. Making Batman from the Dark Knight, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and their own version is fine since those are 4 completely different version of Batman (just like KH1 Sora, KH2 Sora, DDD Sora, etc.). Where I think they cross the line is when they release, LE San Diego Comic con Black/White Arkham City Batman which is the exact same figure of Batman from Arkham City, just pre-production and not painted. Here are my gripes with that:

1) It's the exact same figure model
2) They just got lazy and didn't even paint it
3) They are increasing the pricetag slightly on something that has less effort in it.

I do think they are making a lot though and I would like they focus on KH. They clearly aren't dropping their own games though since they have had a constant stream of FF figures every now and then. Not as many as they used to (they made the entire main cast of FFXIII, but they never made a Noel figure for XIII-2. I know, the second protagonist of a huge game and they never made him), but a nice amount still.

My problem with all the Soras isn't the fact that they're Sora, but is pretty much like my problem with the Batman things. The Sora they used for most of the figures is the exact same model. KH2, Valor, Wisdom, Master, Final, and Limit use the exact same model and while it makes sense that they should, I think instead of making 5 other figures with new clothes, they should have made 1-2 brand new figures with different models (KH2 Riku was an obvious choice at the time).

If they were planning on doing a different Sora, I kind of wished it was one that was very different that required a new model, like Christmastown. I've always secretly (not so secret anymore) wanted them to make an Atlantica one but that'll never happen purely because I don't know how they get the tail to work really well.
Actually, an Atlantica figure would have been pretty cool!it would have required a clear stand like the Jack skellington, but it would have been cool to have the tail ball jointed and everything! :)

kupo1121

Awards
Actually, an Atlantica figure would have been pretty cool!it would have required a clear stand like the Jack skellington, but it would have been cool to have the tail ball jointed and everything! :)

You'd have to have the entire tail be ball jointed numerous times. I was thinking about it last night and it would look odd if the tail was a bunch of different parts, it would look like armor, not a tail. However, maybe if they put soft plastic over it it just might work. The next problem they'd have is Ariel's hair I think since she has really long hair and a lot of it, more than their usual figures do.

Vanitas_Booker

You'd have to have the entire tail be ball jointed numerous times. I was thinking about it last night and it would look odd if the tail was a bunch of different parts, it would look like armor, not a tail. However, maybe if they put soft plastic over it it just might work. The next problem they'd have is Ariel's hair I think since she has really long hair and a lot of it, more than their usual figures do.
They could put like a rubber over it. They do that with some Disney figures now a days (like the 12 inch Oscar figure from OZ and the Tonto figure).
Is ariels hair any longer than Tifa's? It's thicker since it's underwater, but I thought it was about average length.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I think if Sora ever gets an Atlantica figure, they'll make the tail with similar material as the clothing for the other figures. That way, the joints and stuff can be hidden.

Edit: ninja'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back