• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you really Hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
"Hate is a strong word"

It really is. People take the word "hate" and throw it around like it's no big deal, people don't really get it. To "hate" is serious. To "hate" is dark. But I gotta admit, I use the word all the time. I hate studying, I hate cauliflower, I hate when a bug smashes on my windshield after a wash, I hate how the heel of my sock and my actual heel don't actually match up, I hate him, I hate her. I hate hate hate.

But I realized that I don't really hate all that stuff. I'm either just annoyed, confused, pissed off or even scared. I was sitting with a close friend of mine when we were watching TV. His dad asked to flip to the news really quick, and Fox was reporting on the situation in Egypt. The first thing that came to my mouth? "Dude, I HATE this guy, he's so diddlying stupid-"

"No you don't."

I looked back at my friend and before I could explain how I do, indeed, hate this man, he asked me a question.

"If he was drowning, would you let him die?"
And I was completely dumbfounded. I knew that I wouldn't let him die, I wouldn't. Or anyone else for that matter. I didn't hate this dude, I was just annoyed by him. And then it hit me how shallow and ignorant it is to say that you hate something/one so easily.

Now some of you may be like "Dude srsly, I hate veggies" or something. But would you go out of your way to make sure all other veggies were destroyed? If not, then I don't think you hate them, you just don't like the taste, you might not have even tried them.

So what I'm trying to ask is why do people use this word so easily, and by extension, why does it seem like no one gives any thought to what they say anymore? This may seem totally random but I'd really like to hear your thoughts also general discussion is dead now wtf

Last edited:

SRKTAVRXAYGDM

Awards
^I completly agree with everything you've just said. Hate is an overused word, to be sure. Heck, my sister once said that I hated her. I asked her:

"Would I kill you, given the chance?"

She admitted, no I wouldn't.

So I don't hate her. I don't hate anyone, or anything. I'm just not that.....hateful. And honestly, I've never met anyone who hates anything.

moonstar_xo

Pretty much what you guys both said. I can't say I actually HATE anyone. There are plenty of people who aggravate me to no end, but I would never wish death upon them.

Shawty

Awards
I think it's a word which is easily said because it's always around. I can't say much more because everything's already been said, and I agree with everything which has been said.
It's kind of weird, though, because whenever I speak or type in English and I'm talking about something I don't like, it's a lot easier to say ''oh I hate this and that because of this and that'', while in my native language it's not really like that. It sounds a lot more serious and you'd use it when there was something you'd really hate (for example I really hate, and yes, I do mean hate, people who abuse animals) not just for small things you dislike (like said; school, homework, a person you dislike etc). If I'd talk about the same thing I ''hate'' in my native language I would tend to use a word such as ''dislike''.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
^I completly agree with everything you've just said. Hate is an overused word, to be sure. Heck, my sister once said that I hated her. I asked her:

"Would I kill you, given the chance?"

She admitted, no I wouldn't.

So I don't hate her. I don't hate anyone, or anything. I'm just not that.....hateful. And honestly, I've never met anyone who hates anything.

If you have never met someone who truly doesn't hate anything, I think that's a blessing in disguise. I've said that hate is a word used easily, but of course there are people who know exactly what they're saying when they say it. Some people have a reason to hate.

I think it's a word which is easily said because it's always around. I can't say much more because everything's already been said, and I agree with everything which has been said.
It's kind of weird, though, because whenever I speak or type in English and I'm talking about something I don't like, it's a lot easier to say ''oh I hate this and that because of this and that'', while in my native language it's not really like that. It sounds a lot more serious and you'd use it when there was something you'd really hate (for example I really hate, and yes, I do mean hate, people who abuse animals) not just for small things you dislike (like said; school, homework, a person you dislike etc). If I'd talk about the same thing I ''hate'' in my native language I would tend to use a word such as ''dislike''.

That's interesting. What about in your language, whatever it may be? Why is it easier to express yourself (other than it's your, I'm assuming, your first language)?

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I think it's definitely possible to hate. It's as possible to hate as it is to love. But much like how people don't fully understand what love is or when it's proper to use it, the same is true of the word "hate".

It exists. It's possible to hate someone or something. I hate reptiles; I wouldn't care if they all just stopped existing entirely. In fact, I'd prefer that. I hate them. I think it's also possible to hate people, for sure. If someone murdered my family, I would hate them. I would not save them if they were drowning.

The word is overused, but a lot of the time, it's definitely applicable. I hate a lot of things, but I also don't hate a lot of the things that I say that I hate.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I agree, some people have a reason to hate. Like I said, it's the understanding of the word that matters.
I've always thought about that though, if my family was killed, I would probably really, truly hate the man who did it, but could I let him die? I don't know

But I realize that that isn't congruent with what I said haha. I wouldn't let him die, but I do think I would hate him. I wouldn't know what to think

Shawty

Awards
That's interesting. What about in your language, whatever it may be? Why is it easier to express yourself (other than it's your, I'm assuming, your first language)?

It's hard to explain. Like you said hate is a strong word, but it's like it's stronger in my native language. Or well, more harsh, I guess. We have a lot more words to express the way you feel about something which cannot be translated into English, they ultimately all have the same meaning except some are a bit stronger than others. People here find it a lot easier to use those words instead of the word hate.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I agree, some people have a reason to hate. Like I said, it's the understanding of the word that matters.
I've always thought about that though, if my family was killed, I would probably really, truly hate the man who did it, but could I let him die? I don't know

But I realize that that isn't congruent with what I said haha. I wouldn't let him die, but I do think I would hate him. I wouldn't know what to think

I wouldn't kill the man, obviously. I don't think there's anything that could make me do that. But if I saw him dying, I wouldn't have to help him. And I really don't think I would.

Sawah

unofficial HOTH
Awards
i think the term is wildly overused and people have become more and more numb to the term.

but i'll tell you one thing i hate.

fucking paper cuts.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
Yes, hate is a ridiculously overused term.

Yes, I still hate people.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Definitely an overused word and honestly understandable since it's used so loosely these days, for most people since they are born. Like "curse" words or such now a days it's been thrown around so much that they've began to lost meaning, well maybe more accurate to say they've lost impact because we've become numb to it.
I threw the word around plenty myself throughout school, though not as much anymore.

The only thing I've ever truly hated in this world is school, my hatred knows now bounds and while I'd never actually go as far as bodily harm to teachers (mostly), I can say for a certain that even after I've been graduated for some time now that I would love nothing more than to watch all the schools I've ever been in burn to the ground.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I guess you could say in a single wave, proclamations in regards to "hate" are often confusing misinterpretations or vacuous statements unless specifically evaluated otherwise. Seeing it used in high school, and even in college and the work place I kind of still don't understand why its used/taken lightly. Once more does hatred also introduce a need for a possession, object, or person? If to ridicule, distrust, and/or otherwise resent. Maybe they don't directly need to be present, but i would think hate in all seriousness would be a heightened emotional stimulation perpetuated by intense or traumatic instances, such as a witness to a close friend or family member's death, or a very mundane and heinous deception bringing an immediate misfortune to all (or a single person) persons involved.

I can't really see hate being used light-heartedly and non-seriously in the same context people use "love" in a mutual and platonic sense.

Going back to what Taylor said about hating reptiles, is it possible to co-mingle "hate" with/alongside apathy? I mean, well by the context you addressed it seems more rational say it in this sense, "I don't care for reptiles, and should they one day perish/cease to exist it is of little consequence to me".

Which brings us back to the potential to actually hate. Leading us to condemn an individual or object to death or something worse and more grueling. It's actually kind of interesting thinking about it to that effect, when one genuinely expresses and experiences hate, and the object that they release this into is destroyed, I would think the individual would be greatly relieved by the sudden feeling of retribution carried out by the destroyed object/person.

That all just sounds way too technical reading it again, but I do agree with it being possible. For me on the other hand, I think I'm way too kind-hearted genuinely as an individual to really possess that kind of opposition towards another person or object legitimately to where I'd want to see them/it destroyed.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I just wanted to say it took me like 3 re-reads to process all of this lmao

I guess you could say in a single wave, proclamations in regards to "hate" are often confusing misinterpretations or vacuous statements unless specifically evaluated otherwise. Seeing it used in high school, and even in college and the work place I kind of still don't understand why its used/taken lightly.

Exactly. I believe that until a person can accurately identify what they're feeling, they cannot label those feelings as hate, even if it is. You have to really think about your emotions before you go spreading out your thoughts and ideas to those around you.

I can't really see hate being used light-heartedly and non-seriously in the same context people use "love" in a mutual and platonic sense.

That's a nice connection. Love, I would think, suffers from the same misunderstanding as hate does, although obviously no to the same degree. Love's meaning has changed throughout the years so I don't think it's as inappropriate to throw around as hate. But could that explanation be given to hate as well?

Going back to what Taylor said about hating reptiles, is it possible to co-mingle "hate" with/alongside apathy? I mean, well by the context you addressed it seems more rational say it in this sense, "I don't care for reptiles, and should they one day perish/cease to exist it is of little consequence to me".

I would think that hate is a sort of "evolved" form of apathy. Like with apathy, you just don't CARE about something, it literally holds no weight in your mind and you aren't particularly interested in what happens to the object of your apathy, good or bad. But I think when that object starts to affect you negatively and severely, that's when hate begins to replace apathy.

Which brings us back to the potential to actually hate. Leading us to condemn an individual or object to death or something worse and more grueling. It's actually kind of interesting thinking about it to that effect, when one genuinely expresses and experiences hate, and the object that they release this into is destroyed, I would think the individual would be greatly relieved by the sudden feeling of retribution carried out by the destroyed object/person.

Personally, I don't think retribution would make me happy. If anything, I think I would feel empty inside, because the space inside of me that held that hate is now just empty. I think resolution would be a lot better. Take the source of your hate and try to transform it, come to terms with it. You don't have to start loving it, just change it. I haven't thought about it further though

That all just sounds way too technical reading it again, but I do agree with it being possible. For me on the other hand, I think I'm way too kind-hearted genuinely as an individual to really possess that kind of opposition towards another person or object legitimately to where I'd want to see them/it destroyed.

Brain hurts

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I don't think it's possible for me to truly hate someone. For some reason, it's in my nature to always want to do good, to help others, and generally be a nice guy. I don't think about doing it, it just happens without me realizing it.

So it turns of hating someone, I don't think I could do it. I've matured to the point where I no longer wish to inflict harm on others (revenge). If they hate me, that's good for them. They can shit talk me all they want, I'll just stay silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back