• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KHInsider Reviews KINGDOM HEARTS -HD 1.5 ReMIX-

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Got my copy yesterday! Hope I don't experience any issues! :c or I hope they patch the game before I play it.

If you do have issues, don't let it stop you! So far nothing has been reported that's been game-breaking yet and are just repeat annoyances. We're still safe~

Welcome to KHI, by the way! Happy posting!

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, who are you going to trust? The actual fans? Or IGN? Atleast people here know what they're talking about.

Right, I just feel like whenever a KH game is reviewed highly by KHI, the general thought is "oh, well of course THEY'D rate it high".

1.5 is great, but there are really obvious issues that we feel like people are overlooking. Yeah it's pretty and it's HD, but then what?

Great write up Sign! Just to play contrarian here, I think the "now what" is the immediate value. KH1FM has never been released before. ReCoM has never been released in Europe. And nobody wants to have to play Days again so the all new HD cutscenes are a god send. All of that wrapped in a $40 package is an excellent value for gamers and allows someone to play through the entire series on a single platform. For me, that's the "now what".

I guess my question would be, if KH1, Re:CoM, and Days were rated individually (when they came out), higher than what we have here, why would all three in one package at a lower cost lead to a lower score?

Unless of course, those three games alone would average out to a 7 anyway.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'M SPAMMING THIS EVERYWHERE, OKAY!

Hey guys! If you have your copy of 1.5, you can get an award on the forums for it! Just take a picture of the game + a slip of paper with your username and the date and post it in the Game Award request thread!

http://forums.khinsider.com/foyer/168988-game-award-request-thread.html

Please continue your review discussion~

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
@Master Spockanort: But my device won't let me post pictures, and I have no other...It's why I don't have any game trophies even though I own a few T_T

No camera on a computer or relative/friend with a device that can take photos?

If you connect your PSN account to PSNProfiles, you can screenshot the page where it shows your trophies and use that as proof. I did that for TR because I bought it from PSN rather than a physical copy.

Can't think of any solution for the 3DS...

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
No to the first.

I have no clue how to do the second XD

And I'm lost on the third, too T~T

Maybe I can find a way with my 3DS pictures somehow...But I've got no computer around to put it in. *sigh* That won't help, then.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I have no clue how to do the second XD

Just go to PSNProfiles, follow the instructions for connecting your account, and then just take a screenshot with the print screen button on your keyboard making sure you can see your username and the games you want to get an award for.

Maybe I can find a way with my 3DS pictures somehow...But I've got no computer around to put it in. *sigh* That won't help, then.

I was going to suggest making a DE briefly with your username and taking a screenshot when you pet it. Then after use the 3DS internet browser, go to the Nintendo Image Share website, and upload it to your FB/Tumblr/Twitter and then just use that as proof. The name won't appear, though, so that plan was impossible. xD

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Just started playing it. Gosh. That camera is giving me a headache! You gently touch the analogue stick and swooooooosh... it's way over-sensitive.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Just started playing it. Gosh. That camera is giving me a headache! You gently touch the analogue stick and swooooooosh... it's way over-sensitive.
Yeah the camera is horrible, something I've been saying since May in my review xD
If only they had a bit more time, they might have been able to fix it (hopefully... I wish...)

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Got my copy today, liking Final Mix! So far, I've had a couple of complaints in terms of sound and graphics, but honestly, I think the camera's fine. At least, I don't have problems with it, other than it being too sensitive. But I can get around that.

Now, graphical, this game looks amazing. Truly amazing. The only downside is f.e. in Traverse Town where the floor switches constantly between sharp textures and not-so sharp textures (this actually gave me a headache). Textures seems to change like this quite often, which is a pity, 'cause the actual graphics look amazing.

Soundwise, I've experienced a lot of music kind of glitching very shortly at times. The music itself is amazing, but stuff like this kicks you out of the experience.

What I've enjoyed most so far, are the Final Mix additions (the new abilities and such). These really make the gameplay feel somewhat fresh to me (as in, different from my previous thousand playthroughs of the original) and are just diddlying beautiful to behold (Stun Impact, that "Drive" finisher). Digging it!

All in all, I agree with the 7/10 given. Can't talk about the other two games just yet, 'cause I'm planning on doing everything in chronological order of the story (as much as possible). So when Sora loses his heart, I'm gonna start watching Days. Should be interesting.

I'm wondering if they'll ever release a patch to solve these problems, even if they're somewhat minor.

One thing I will say, though. For people who think they've got deceived because Days isn't playable (I've seen a thread about it). First of all, you should've been aware of that already by reading the announcements and such, but anyways. For those of you who don't seem to have read these announcements (but apparently are registered here and complain about being "deceived"): on the back of my copy, it clearly says "HD remastered cinematics" on Days. Read.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
My Re:Chain of Memories trophy set has not been installed yet, but the ones for Final Mix and Days have been (yet I've only touched Final Mix). How odd.

Regarding the textures, I agree that it feels a bit odd to see obvious low-res ones with updated high-res stuff. A good example would be the doorknob in Wonderland. The actual knob is clear as day but the door itself looks blurry and jaggy. But I think the games looks amazing in general. Just played Tales of Graces f, a HD port of a Wii game. Kingdom Hearts in HD looks about as good (but with better visual design).

The only glitch I've encountered so far has to do with the music, but unlike what others have experienced it doesn't stop or anything but rather every time a new tune loads up there will be a millisecond glitch in the sound. After that it plays just fine.

Speaking of which, the new soundtrack is amazing. I'm not just saying this because I'm such a Shimomura fanboy, but they did an amazing job making an old plain MIDI soundtrack come to life with the new recordings. Many tracks benefit greatly from actually being orchestral. The battle themes especially.

In terms of gameplay, it shows its age. Besides the wonky camera, the platforming is almost inexcusably bad! Jumping and landing where you want to is really difficult at times. Recent games don't have this problem, or at least it's far from as bad as it is in Final Mix.

Overall, I think 7.5 would be a fair score.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
My Re:Chain of Memories trophy set has not been installed yet, but the ones for Final Mix and Days have been (yet I've only touched Final Mix). How odd.

Regarding the textures, I agree that it feels a bit odd to see obvious low-res ones with updated high-res stuff. A good example would be the doorknob in Wonderland. The actual knob is clear as day but the door itself looks blurry and jaggy.

The Re:CoM trophies will probably install when you start that game (my guess).

But about the textures, not talking about the mix between low-res and high-res textures. My issue is that f.e. the floor/ground/street in Traverse Town constantly changes between low res textures and really sharp, high resolution textures in the same area. So when I'm walking, these textures would change constantly, which is incredibly tiring (even painful) for the eyes, which I'm assuming can be quite bad for people with epilepsy.

MecDragon

I just finished Final Mix, and I loved it! It felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time. 9/10

I had no audio problems and did not notice any glitches.

Setup
Slim PS31080p HDMI
5.1 optical audio

The camera still feels too close, but had better control now that it uses the right stick. It does stop when it hits a wall, which made lining up a couple jumps a little harder.

The graphics were great and the lighting in dark places like Halloween Town was improved. I just wish thy updated things like the button icons(blurry), and some keyblades had jagged edges close up.

It was a great update to a great game. I can't wait for 2.5 and 3.

SaiXBot

Great review. I am highly enjoying the remaster at the moment. It was great to get info about additional cards for RE:CoM. People really should play days. It's a good DS game and a good KH game as well. I appreciate the inclusion of the updated cutscenes, but I've gotta say that if you want the "best" experience, story-wise at least, then make sure to pick up the DS game.

Very detailed and enjoyable review. Thumbs up from Denmark.

Kevin Perez

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The work put into the collection is worth more than 6/10, but the games themselves just don't hold up very well in terms of gameplay. Bad camera, bad platforming and dodgy hit boxes. It's hard not to get frustrated when playing these games.

There's nothing wrong with a game being hard. But it should be hard in relation to skill level and not just dumb luck. I want to die because I'm not good enough, not because the camera randomly decided to flip over and obstruct my view causing me to become an open target in an intense boss battle. That's just bad game design.

It was more acceptable back then because the standard was much lower in general. But compared to games released today, more specifically newer games in the Kingdom Hearts series, the first game (and probably RCOM as well, haven't gotten that far yet) just doesn't play as well. The graphics and visual design as well as the music is still top notch, and the story also holds up very well. But this is probably as good as it's gonna get until we get a proper remake sometime in the future.

Sometimes you just have to kill your darlings, or at least give them a well-deserved beating. Kingdom Hearts is not a bad game, but it's got too many gameplay-related flaws to get a higher score than 7,5.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Just finished Atlantica, hell, the last Ursala fight is so broken as hell (Proud mode). I have to let my teammates do all the work and just dodge w/e she throws at me or she destroys me lol

One thing that I noticed while playing Remix, is that a lot of your attacks don't connect with the enemy. It's really hard to see if your in attacking distance or not. I think this is one of the factors why Kingdom Hearts 1 was more difficult than other games, the gameplay not being finetuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back