• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So what's this about Executives meddling with the script?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I just keep hearing this about this game these days. I know it's done to death in a lot of things but KH?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I've never heard about this before. What are people saying was specifically meddled with? I know that Disney gets blamed a lot for the censorship (although they have little to do with it) but that's the only "meddling" I've heard about.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Actually, I forgot about the Sora in the womb thing, which had supposedly anti-abortion connotations, but things like the unversed and their explanation and such.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Wait, Sora in the womb? And Unversed and their explanation? Sorry, but do you mind explaining them a bit for me here? I'm… not sure I follow.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
What he talks about is not so much "executive meddling" but rather Nomura catering to western stupidity.

I haven't the interview at hand right now, but Nomura originally intended to have Sora's heart in the BBS Prologue save Ventus before he was properly born, but because of concerns that the western audience won't be able to grasp the concept he changed it to that Sora was already born at that time.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I... think those are severely misinterpreted things taken out of context. To my memory, Nomura never said anything about Sora in the womb, but what he DID say was that he wasn't sure if when he communicated with Ven if it should be before or after he was born.

Back in the very early days of BbS information the Unversed were mistranslated to "Unbirthed" and that was the widely accepted translatiom for a while, though it was wrong.

I think this is what's being taken out of context, but these aren't things that were changed, it's just fans misinterpreting things

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
The only thing I can think of that Disney asked to change was the scene with the dwarfs mourning over Snow White, and all they did was ask for the dwarfs to have their hats off like in the movie.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I... think those are severely misinterpreted things taken out of context. To my memory, Nomura never said anything about Sora in the womb, but what he DID say was that he wasn't sure if when he communicated with Ven if it should be before or after he was born.

Back in the very early days of BbS information the Unversed were mistranslated to "Unbirthed" and that was the widely accepted translatiom for a while, though it was wrong.

I think this is what's being taken out of context, but these aren't things that were changed, it's just fans misinterpreting things

Yeah, the Unversed / Unbirth thing had nothing to do with executives or the higher-ups. It's just the reading (as well as the katakana) of Unversed in Japanese (アンヴァース anvāsu, "Unverse") is similar to how Unbirth is pronounced (アンバース anbāsu), and sometimes the V sound is substituted with the B sound, thus giving rise to this mix-up.

I remember Nomura himself stating that Unversed are creatures not well-versed in their existence, which lends credence to them being referred to as Unversed rather than Unbirth from the get-go.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Ok, I found the interview snippet about Sora's situation in the BBS Prologue, it's actually from the BBS Ultimania:
Nomura said:
-- Considering the conversation between Sora and Ventus in the ending of the Last Episode, is this saying that the "just-born heart" that Ventus connects with in the opening is Sora's?
Nomura: Yes. At first we supposed that it could be Sora before he was born, but because of opinions from overseas that "the heart doesn't exist until after birth", we discarded that portrayal.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Ok, I found the interview snippet about Sora's situation in the BBS Prologue, it's actually from the BBS Ultimania:

snippet snipped

Ah, I see that it's like how some thinks life begins at conception, while some, at birth. Poor Nomura, I think I personally would have preferred the first heart-to-heart (literally) exchange between Sora and Ventus to happen before Sora was born. Somehow I feel that it's more impactful.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It actually wasn't mistranslated. The name was originally written differently in Japanese for about a year until they changed it. If Goldpanner was right, even the scans had Unbirth in English.

http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...ya-nomura-finally-surfaces-4.html#post5927081

It was why we had Ambers and Unbirths as translations early on. It was when they changed バ (ba) to ヴァ (va) when we finally got "Unversed"

It's kind of irrelevant, though. BBS' concept changed a lot during the first two years of development...I doubt it really had anything to do with the executive meddling OP is trying to ask about.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Been here for years and until this thread the only known meddling I had heard of was Nomura's original plan for DDD's ending being changed. xD

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
could you elaborate I haven't heard anything about this?

I'm thinking that he might be referring to Nomura's last-minute decision to include the fight against Sora in Ventus' armour. I might be wrong, though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The original ending planned for KH3D was changed...

- Will the ending of this title also be a heart wrenching one?

Nomura: The ending for KH3D is a little unusual, the plan up until now had been different... But every once in a while I think, it's good this way. In fact, the first ending I thought up quickly became no good due to various circumstances, but now the ending is something that I worry quite a bit about. As a result, we tried to do something unique for the ending this time. Incidentally, the secret movie will be shorter. Though it is short, like the Re:Coded secret movie, it will connect to the next shocking developments in the series, so please look forward to it.

Not much we can take from it...but it is assumed that the ending changed because the unannounced title was cancelled. (RIP unreleased Kingdom Hearts game...)

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The original ending planned for KH3D was changed...

Not much we can take from it...but it is assumed that the ending changed because the unannounced title was cancelled. (RIP unreleased Kingdom Hearts game...)

The ending was supposed to be different? Wow. Now I wonder how the original one could have turned out to be.

And why am I getting the feeling that this cancelled title was supposed to be something along the lines of BbSv2?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I still stand by the ending of DDD was going to have Sora lose his heart and be asleep like Ventus while Riku swears to help his friend while Darkness floods into all the worlds while "New World" plays in the background but nooooo. XIII-2 used that kind of ending first :<

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I still stand by the ending of DDD was going to have Sora lose his heart and be asleep like Ventus while Riku swears to help his friend while Darkness floods into all the worlds while "New World" plays in the background but nooooo. XIII-2 used that kind of ending first :<

o/

When Sora was sitting in the chair I was like "BABY, I'M GONNA SEE THE NEW WORLD" but it didn't happen...But I still hold that XIII-2 felt like a KH game (chaos = darkness) and KH3D felt like XIII-2 (time travel, almost losing Sora.)

God damn it Toriyama...WE COULD HAVE STARTED KH3 WITH RIKU TRYING TO SAVE SORA. (pipedream) You know how perfect that would have been?

(...I actually like XIII-2 so I'm not that upset)

The ending was supposed to be different? Wow. Now I wonder how the original one could have turned out to be.

And why am I getting the feeling that this cancelled title was supposed to be something along the lines of BbSv2?

Well, when Nomura was asked about the unreleased title and "BBSv2" he didn't really say they were related. He just said "there is a story to tell but we have no plans to tell it right now." :c

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Well, when Nomura was asked about the unreleased title and "BBSv2" he didn't really say they were related. He just said "there is a story to tell but we have no plans to tell it right now." :c

Haha, that really could have meant anything. Cryptic as ever. And now we know that BbSv2 isn't happening, or at least not in the near future.

I think that unreleased title was supposed to be released this year, which 1.5 conveniently took the spot. But I'm still curious as to what it could have been, since with DDD coming in, all essentials that need to be touched on would have been touched on. I can't see any game fitting into any period of time, except probably one that revolves around Kairi being a wielder.

Probably this is why he decided not to release it as well. Hmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back