• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Boxart Revealed!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
To be honest when I first saw the box art I didn't like it but after looking at it and studying it it does look quite nice. Xehanort looks really crazy (but in a good way) and I love that some of the villains have finally made it onto the box art. I love all of the keyblades surrounding the characters (plus they have some of my favorites in there like Gullwing, Monchrome, and Bond of Flame).
My only problems are Roxas really stands out to me as looking too young and (I know the importance of 13 in the series which I like the attention to detail there) but it stopped Kairi, Namine, Eraqus, and some other important characters from making the box art. I do like the look of Ven, Aqua, Mickey, Sora, Donald, and Goofy.

Let's pick out all the keyblades shown! (starting from top left and going counter-clockwise)

- ???

- ??? (Heroes Crest?)

Like Tinny pointed out the one you didn't know is from Coded and you are right in guessing Hero's Crest (from Olympus Colosseum in KH2) for the other.

EDIT: @WILDMUSTANGX: That third disc seems to be a disc full of music.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
This is actually kind of disappointing... everything just looks so cluttered, and I'm not exactly a fan of all the keyblades. I know they needed to be there because of the way Nomura drew it, but that's the problem. I feel like this was really rushed, more so than other works of his might have been. I don't particularly have a problem with the character's expressions so much (save Xehanort, that's disgusting), but... ugh.

See, I really liked 1.5's boxart because of its simplicity. Am I a fan of having the characters segmented? No. But for 1.5 it did work because you saw all the different games and their respective characters acting in the games, not just staring blankly. Yes, there's the problem of symmetry which is also a major issue, but I just hate how there's so little free room. And the fact that this is going to be on my beloved game cover... *shudders*

See, I don't even think I'd like this as a poster. It definitely has good aspects going for it, such as the idea of the various characters being together, the villain being there as well, the color scheme as a throwback to BBS, but there's just so much room for improvement. I hope there's at least an alternate poster like there was for 1.5.

I hope they can modify the boxart so the Keyblades are a bit away from the center. Negative space is really important in a composition and artists tend to overlook that emptiness is just as important. I'm also surprised that the Keyblades aren't in metal/stone like in 1.5's boxart as well as the appearance of Kairi, Namine, and Riku. Donald and Goofy would've been better in their royal castle outfits.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Maybe it's just me, but I like when there are a lot of characters on a cover (not just for KH, but in general). It always gives me a feeling of scope, and how every character matters in a storyline. It's why I used to love those advertisements of CoM that had cards of all the characters. Of course, I like simplistic covers that only have logos/titles, too, but 1.5 wasn't that either so I'm not surprised by this cover.

People complain about characters "staring into a void," which doesn't even make sense to me as a complaint since it's a cover? They aren't in a scene from the game and characters always stare forwards on covers... My main complaint is the lack of symmetry (the need for 13 is to blame for that) and that it doesn't look well-drawn, which is why I still manage to like it better than 1.5--Sora's legs and the throne there look worse than anything on this cover, imo.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Maybe it's just me, but I like when there are a lot of characters on a cover (not just for KH, but in general). It always gives me a feeling of scope, and how every character matters in a storyline. It's why I used to love those advertisements of CoM that had cards of all the characters. Of course, I like simplistic covers that only have logos/titles, too, but 1.5 wasn't that either so I'm not surprised by this cover.

People complain about characters "staring into a void," which doesn't even make sense to me as a complaint since it's a cover? They aren't in a scene from the game and characters always stare forwards on covers... My main complaint is the lack of symmetry (the need for 13 is to blame for that) and that it doesn't look well-drawn, which is why I still manage to like it better than 1.5--Sora's legs and the throne there look worse than anything on this cover, imo.

For me, the problem I have with characters "starting into the void" is that it makes them look lifeless. Comparing this cover to the 1.5 one again, none of the characters are vaguely staring out for no apparent reason. Sora has a look of determination aimed towards the audience, Kairi is playing with his crown, Donald and Goofy look inviting, Axel, Roxas, and Xion are contently looking into the sunset from what looks like to be the clock tower, and Riku and Mickey are playing around while Naminé happily sits and watches them.

None of them look like zombies who were drugged into taking an awkward photo. Half of the characters in the 2.5 cover art do though and it's just awkward. Especially Terra, I just can't get over how completely baked he looks.

Last edited:

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
This was certainly a surprise to see this morning. I really like it, the color scheme especially. I feel, like most complaints, the characters could've been done a bit better and not look so odd. We'll see how/if it changes for the NA release.

ok sunny

Awards
I think the boxart looks wonderful! It really does capture the vibe and essence of the games. The details and shading on Sora (KH2) look great btw. The only thing that weirds me out is Xehanort's maniacal face... Bleh!

Anyway, I'll be sure to preorder this game sometime soon! It's so exciting :smile:

LexKitteh

People seem to complain about Terra and Ventus' expression. When I first saw the art, I assumed Ventus looks almost asleep because he's currently in a comatose state, and Terra looks "baked" because he is being posessed and no longer has control of his body. It seemed more like a foreshadowing image. Especially with Xehanort "pulling the strings" above everyone. I am rather disappointed that every time Nomura draws Roxas, he looks considerably younger. Him and KH2 Sora were counterparts to each other throughout the game, but they don't look similar anymore. He looks like 8-10 years old now :(

dremora_

I seriously hope this get a Collector's Edition for the US release. It would be awesome!

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Just noticed the Limit Form figure in the CE. Makes the older one look suuuuper outdated. Insane how far along the figures have come.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Wow, this artwork. I really can't say whether I like or dislike it.

Just like some folks here, I think the top of the image with the three villains is awesome. However, going down, it's getting less and less attractive and losing gravitas. It's as if Nomura put much emphasis on the villains but forgot to do the same with the protagonists. Also, while I think Master Xehanort's prominence is awesome, to me it looks as if his left eye were made of a yellow glass bead that could pop out any second now. o_O

The middle part (BbS and Re:coded) is still palatable to me, but I definitely agree with those saying that the symmetry of the bottom part could have been better. Yes, Roxas is holding a Keyblade that extends to the left of the picture, but it isn't enough to act as a counterweight to the right side (Donald and Goofy). It could have been filled with Naminé instead, and the exclusion of her, Riku, Mickey, and probably Kairi is pretty regrettable. I feel like had they not gone that far with the Keyblades along the borders, they could have included them as well.

On another note, the CE looks absolutely stunning! However, I really don't know if I'm willing so much money for 2.5 and 1.5, the latter of which I'm not going to play anyway. The freebies though, especially the Play Arts Kai... goodness me. Far too gorgeous to pass up.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The real question everyone should be asking is:

why is Mickey wearing his CoM outfit?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

The answer is obvious.

Mickey...is a time traveler.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I can't believe I failed to notice Mickey in the picture. I was like, "What are you guys talking about? Mickey?" @_@

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Oh Nomura. Mickey was originally going to wear the CoM outfit in some scenes in coded... maybe they're going back to that idea?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah this has been bugging me too :p

But as others have said, I do like it, but I wish half the characters weren't kind of weirdly floating in a checkered void. And it is off center a bit. Overall, it does seem a little rushed.

I like the KH x picture released today more :p

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I have a million and one thoughts about the 2.5 artwork and I've been dying all day to be able to post about them.

On the positive side, this actually does have quite a bit going for it. Whereas 1.5's boxart felt very devoid and lifeless due to all of the white, 2.5's boxart feels lively and uses colours to its advantage. I also very much enjoy the Keyblade border surrounding everyone, further emphasizing the Keyblade War's influence in BBS.

I really like having new art for the characters as well, and everyone is quite cute (except MX...). I love that Terra, Ven and Aqua got full representation and are smack in the middle. I think in general having all of the characters in the center of the layout works a lot better than sticking half of them in corners. It utilizes the space and makes the picture seem full, while giving everyone more prominence.

I also do actually enjoy having the villains present, and it's nice to have the big three there. I especially love how they are formatted, with Master Xehanort being in the middle while Ansem and Xemnas look outwards. And even though we're probably all sick or bored to death with the argyle pattern, I think it does work here. It looks like the data from Coded and it's as though the characters are breaking out through it which is quite neat.

Now, my criticisms. I don't understand how the Master Keeper, Void Gear, Xehanort's Keyblade and the Way to the Dawn make it into the Keyblade border but Wayward Wind, Rainfell and Earthshaker don't. They really could have left out several of the lesser Keyblades from KH2 (Sweet Memories, Rumbling Rose, Decisive Pumpkin for instance) in favor of more prominent and better designed ones! Especially to give TAV's Keyblades representation that they rightly deserve; it blows my mind that Vanitas has his Keyblade in the border but TAV doesn't...

I find the placing of the characters to be awkward in some instances. Xehanort/Ansem/Xemnas and Aqua/Ven/Terra are the only ones that look right. Mickey feels very awkward and random where he is, so it would have been nice to include someone beside him. Perhaps Namine, who is a central figure in Coded and has a big presence in KH2. She would have served to balance him out on the left side while Data Sora and Data Riku were on the right.

And for KH2, it feels extremely off balance. Maybe having Sora and KH2 Riku - seriously where is our KH2 Riku representation - in the middle would have been nice. Then having Donald and Goofy on the right or one on each side, as well as Roxas and Axel - he really should be included in this cover and it boggles my mind that he made it onto the 1.5 cover, where he was in one out of three games, yet he doesn't make it onto the 2.5 cover where he is in THREE out of three games - either both on the left or have had one on each side of Sora/Riku. I'm also sad Kairi isn't on the cover, though her prominence in these games is definitely minuscule. However they could have easily thrown her in the middle with Sora/Riku to have the trio together for once. And Xehanort. Dat eyebrow raise, I can't even.

Overall, do I like this? Yes. Do I think it's an improvement over 1.5? Yes. Am I disappointed by certain aspects of it? Yes. And finally, will it set off my OCD for being formatted nothing like 1.5? Hell yes.

Master Sora

Awards
Website
soraboots.tumblr.com
I agree with a lot of point you brought up about the box art. It's beautiful and well drawn. I think they could have added Terra, Aqua, and Ven's keyblades in the middle somewhere, but just a bit transparent or something. I still like all the keyblades they added from KH2 on the side. Even though I dont like several of the keyblades (Circle of Life, Sweet memories, Land of Dragons, Rumbling Rose), they still look nice drawn in pencil and ink. They should have added Kairi, Riku, and Namine as well, it doesn't seem as balanced without them. have Kairi and Riku on the right like the KH2 final mix poster. I just realized they added the data keyblade too. It looks nice, but they shouldn't have added it in.

Xehanort's eyebrows though. oh god...They look non existent actually. *shudders*

Mickey could have been a bit better placed. Or at least have a different pose. He looks really grumpy and it doesn't fit well with the rest of the character's facial expressions (just staring at his keyblade). Like his keyblade is all dirty on the other side and he forgot to clean it. Then again I think they captured the emotions of their personality and/or how they all feel like in their current situation. Which is makes sense and is a very nice detail as well. I'm just speculating of course. All in all it looks more like a sketch Nomura just put together. I still love the art and colors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back