• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thinking about buying this game.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kiki~

Hello! :biggrin:

First of all, I am new to this website and new to the Kingdom Hearts series. I have always been intrigued by the series, mainly because I love Disney and the idea of playing a game with Disney characters and Disney environments sounds fabulous to me. I have been debating on getting this game for a very long time, however I always have the same concerns. My main one being, I have never played a past Kingdom Hearts game before. I am not able to play previous ones as I simply do not own the systems for them. I am worried that Dream Drop Distance will not make sense because I don't know the story. Is the story a huge part of the game? Will I be completely lost in Dream Drop Distance and, in your opinion, would not understanding the story wreck the game for me? :confused:

There are also some other concerns I have about the game. I am not very good at games. At all. I tend to play casual games, like Animal Crossing, and just plain easy ones like Kirby Triple Deluxe. I even found Super Mario 3D Land to be challenging. :/ Granted, I am horrible with time limits, and I could never get the hang of jumping. I found it difficult to land where I wanted too. I never managed to beat the entire thing - my brother had to do the final castle for me (I haven't completed any of the special worlds) and I often only finished many levels with the aid of the invincibility suit. :frown:

How difficult would this game be, on the easiest setting? Additionally, how difficult are the bosses? I have heard some horrendous things about them - specifically one, something about inverted controls/flipped screen or something? :confused:

How is the switching characters every 20 minutes mechanic? The moment I heard about this I was kind of turned off on the game. I don't enjoy the thought of time limits and switching between characters seems like it would be a hassle. Are you exploring the same worlds with each character, or do they have their own separate worlds? :confused:

Lastly, what's the deal with the little companion guys? I've heard that if they die, they die forever. Are they hard to create/upgrade to a good strength? Are they easy to lose? I really don't like the thought of a permanent death. Especially if I have put a lot of time and effort into one of the little guys, just for him to die quickly. :frown:

Thank you to anyone and everyone who takes the time to read this and answer my questions! I appreciate it! :biggrin:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Hi and welcome to KHI! In my opinion if you want to fully understand and appreciate the characters I would recommend not to buy this game. Would you be interested in watching cut scenes in YouTube of past games? DDD tries to fill in players on past games with simple memos but they leave out a lot of important information. This game leads up to KH 3 so a lot of things will be brought up that might confuse you, and it doesn't help that this entry is considered by fans to have the most complicated plot. Not understanding the plot can be off putting.

However if you just want to play it and ignore the narrative you can have some fun with its mechanics. Beginner would be the perfect difficulty to a newcomer. It can be tricky at times but once you master the system you'll be fine.

As for switching characters, there's an item that helps with extending your play time with the character you want. Just make sure to buy lots of them, and use them before a boss fight. As for your companions, its like Pokemon. You feed, play, pet and level them for better support in battle, and if they die they'll turn into their respective ingredients(So you can make them again). Just pay attention to their health in battle and you should be fine.

There's 2 characters and they all visit the same worlds but different parts of them and sometimes different people. I hope that helps.

~Kiki~

This does help! It helps very much. :) I can certainly watch some videos on YouTube and read up on the plots to try and catch up. From what you said, the game sounds like, aside from the storyline, perfect for me. :) I believe I will buy it in the next few weeks! :D

Anagram

Banned
Another tip. If your gonna read up on KH lore best do it here. Wikis and youtube tend to be less than reliable for being actually accurate with ya know....anything. Not sure why when they do okay for most other series.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Since you have a 3DS, I'd actually recommend getting 358/2 Days for the Nintendo DS first before Dream Drop Distance. The entry works well enough as an entry to where even if it is your first introduction to the series, it guides you in and lets you get the hang of things. Granted, graphically, it's not one of the prettiest DS games, although it did push the handheld to its limits. I do find DDD to be a better game than Days, but as your first venture in the series, I'd recommend that one. There's also Re:coded for the DS, but that one works more for someone familiar enough with the series.

The series is pretty story-driven and story-heavy, so I do recommend perhaps looking up the "movie editions" people make on YouTube, or even Let's Plays (if you're into those). For DDD, you really only have to know the story of Kingdom Hearts 2, Days, and Birth by Sleep at a minimum (though it would definitely help to also know Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, and Re:coded).

But, let's say you still want to try DDD first. As for switching characters, at the beginning of the game, this may be slightly a hassle, but pretty early on, you get access to an item that allows you to extend your character's time "limit," so much so that you may have to manually "Drop" (change) yourself to the other character.

The pets, aka the "Dream Eaters," also never really died for me on Proud mode, which was the second hardest level, so if you play Beginner/Normal mode, you should be fine (but even if something goes amiss, there is a way to regain your buddies back... I just don't remember the exact process).

If it helps, while I'm a pro at these games, I fail hardcore at Mario games, so... yeah. To each their own.

Another tip. If your gonna read up on KH lore best do it here. Wikis and youtube tend to be less than reliable for being actually accurate with ya know....anything. Not sure why when they do okay for most other series.

^This as well. This site actually has a video series that they did with the site Gametrailers to help explain the plots and mysteries of the series, so that may help. There is also the Kingdom Hearts timeline video Gametrailers did as well, which may also help you out, though both also cover Dream Drop Distance to certain extents, so there are spoilers for that in there eventually.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Since you have a 3DS, I'd actually recommend getting 358/2 Days for the Nintendo DS first before Dream Drop Distance. The entry works well enough as an entry to where even if it is your first introduction to the series, it guides you in and lets you get the hang of things. Granted, graphically, it's not one of the prettiest DS games, although it did push the handheld to its limits. I do find DDD to be a better game than Days, but as your first venture in the series, I'd recommend that one. There's also Re:coded for the DS, but that one works more for someone familiar enough with the series.

The series is pretty story-driven and story-heavy, so I do recommend perhaps looking up the "movie editions" people make on YouTube, or even Let's Plays (if you're into those). For DDD, you really only have to know the story of Kingdom Hearts 2, Days, and Birth by Sleep at a minimum (though it would definitely help to also know Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, and Re:coded).

But, let's say you still want to try DDD first. As for switching characters, at the beginning of the game, this may be slightly a hassle, but pretty early on, you get access to an item that allows you to extend your character's time "limit," so much so that you may have to manually "Drop" (change) yourself to the other character.

The pets, aka the "Dream Eaters," also never really died for me on Proud mode, which was the second hardest level, so if you play Beginner/Normal mode, you should be fine (but even if something goes amiss, there is a way to regain your buddies back... I just don't remember the exact process).

If it helps, while I'm a pro at these games, I fail hardcore at Mario games, so... yeah. To each their own.

^This as well. This site actually has a video series that they did with the site Gametrailers to help explain the plots and mysteries of the series, so that may help. There is also the Kingdom Hearts timeline video Gametrailers did as well, which may also help you out, though both also cover Dream Drop Distance to certain extents, so there are spoilers for that in there eventually.

If you want to heal your friend, don't you go up to them and press the X or Triangle button to heal them?

~Kiki~

I have some money now and I am intending to go to the store today and pick this up. :) I would like to thank everybody who replied to my topic! I am in the process of going through the different stories. Although honestly, I'm just really excited for the different worlds. ^o^ The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favourites, as is Peter Pan! :D

~Kiki~

Hello!

I only really play games on my 3DS. My family owns a Wii and sometimes I play Epic Mickey and a Paper Mario Game (it's an older one i
believe, I got it with Club Nintendo)

I play the following 3DS games:

Animal Crossing New Leaf
Story of Seasons
Disney Magical World
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Fantasy Life
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Epic Mickey Power of Illusion (I found this game to be very difficult. I wish it were longer. It feels incomplete and that makes me sad.)
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Nintendogs + Cats Toy Poodle Version
Scribblenauts Unlimited
I also own and enjoy The Legendary Starfy for DS

I tend to play more simpler games. ^~^

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Hello!

I only really play games on my 3DS. My family owns a Wii and sometimes I play Epic Mickey and a Paper Mario Game (it's an older one i
believe, I got it with Club Nintendo)

I play the following 3DS games:

Animal Crossing New Leaf
Story of Seasons
Disney Magical World
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Fantasy Life
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Epic Mickey Power of Illusion (I found this game to be very difficult. I wish it were longer. It feels incomplete and that makes me sad.)
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Nintendogs + Cats Toy Poodle Version
Scribblenauts Unlimited
I also own and enjoy The Legendary Starfy for DS

I tend to play more simpler games. ^~^

I don't know what happened to my 3DS, but I remember being able to play DS games on it. Have you ever played Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days on it?

I hope you enjoy Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

FEZeldalord12345

Hi there! I have not played Dream Drop Distance myself either as of yet, but there is a free demo on the 3DS eShop, so you can try that. From what I do know about DDD, you really should play the other KH games first, or as you said, look up the plot of the other games, because the story is REALLY complicated at this point. I don't have too much to add, but I thought I'd mention the demo since no one else has.

Larxene012

Banned
if you play kh3D. you probably wont care about the story. i personally don't recommend it to a Kingdom Hearts fan, and i highly recommend playing the first games instead. but since you are not a fan, then you could play it strictly for gameplay.

~Kiki~

I am more interested in the game for the Disney aspects. Exploring Disney themed worlds and playing with Disney characters is what really intrigues me. I have tried the demo and I did enjoy it!

I wish I could play previous games, but I either don't have the system or I can't find the game. I am reading up about the plots of previous games though! I would like to thank the person who recommended reading about them on here. Which order should I read about the games in?

Larxene012

Banned
if you own a ps3, you can play the HD ReMIX. two compilations for them. if you don't you could just watch the story. but that would be a waste.

i suggest playing the games in this order: KH1, Chain of Memories, KH2, 358/2 days (somewhat optional), KH Birth By Sleep, Kh Coded (somewhat optional). then KH3D.

if you want to play strictly for the disney aspect, i highly recommend the other games a little more.

~Kiki~

I would play the others, but as I've said, I can't. We own a PS3 but it is my fathers and it is in the main living room where he watches TV. I've heard that the console versions offer much nicer Disney worlds, but unfortunately I don't have the means to play those games.

Larxene012

Banned
sounds complicated. well i dont know what else to say. you can choose to play it.....but i'm sure you're not going to 100% enjoy the story, it involves a lot of things.

some gameplay aspects are enjoyable, some Disney worlds are really great too...but, the game has this free flow function which takes away from the discovering of the worlds. You might be bitterly disapointed in the dream eaters for what they have to offer and only being offered in that game.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
She's going for a casual play style, I doubt she'll be critical on the game mechanics. Once you get past the story you'll have fun with the game.

Larxene012

Banned
The game is mostly story though. And it is definitely pushing towards the Disney worlds being just irrelevant. Which is the mina reason why one would play.

~Kiki~

Hello again,

I read up on the stories of the previous games and I watched Gametrailer's timeline. I'm by no means an expert on the game series, but I have an OK idea of what is going on. I went ahead and bought the game yesterday, managed to snag the last copy in the store! I am having a great time with it so far.

I'm not very far in, I've just gotten to La Cite des Cloches, but regardless I'm happy with my purchase. Switching between Sora & Riku isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be, and the little dream eaters are adorable. I like the way the worlds look and I'm not having too hard of a time playing. I decided to put the game on Beginner mode, as I'm not very good at games, and it's a wonderful setting for me. This game might not have a ton of Disney worlds, but The Hunchback of Notre Dame has always been a favourite of mine and having that in the game alone is putting a smile on my face.

Thank you to everybody who helped me decide whether or not I should purchase the game. I am happy with my purchase, even if some details of the story might be a little foggy, but that's okay. I'm not completely lost at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back