• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Editorial ► Powerline: Would He Be a Stand Out in Kingdom Hearts 3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It’s 2016, which means we are yet another year closer to Kingdom Hearts III! Being closer to the game doesn’t mean we are getting it anytime soon, sadly, so what better way to fill the void than with some heartfelt editorials? I'll be kicking things off with one of my own on a summon I desperately wish to see in Kingdom Hearts III.

Disney, Square Enix. We need to have a little heart to heart…maybe try and see things eye to eye if you know what I mean. 

20 years ago, one of the most underrated Disney films hit theaters and charmed audiences with a certain kind of flair that could only be captured by the unique storytelling styles of the 80s and 90s. Disney’s A Goofy Movie tells the story of the father-son duo Goofy and Max Goof as they go on a cross-country road trip to bond, although things don’t go exactly the way either expected it to. Goofy fears he is losing his young teenage son Max following an elaborate prank where Max, with his friends PJ and Bobby, create a small concert during the last school assembly before summer vacation where Max performs while costumed as the hit pop singer Powerline in order to impress his crush Roxanne. This prank, while making Max a school celebrity and scoring him a date with Roxanne, lands him in major trouble which prompts Goofy to take Max on the same road trip his own father took him on when he was young in hopes that it will fix the tumultuous relationship they have. 

Much of Goofy and Max's trip leads them into misadventures that only serve to create a larger rift between the klutzy father and embarrassed son, but they eventually come to understand each other and finally see things eye to eye. This film embodies the very heart of what every teenager and parent's relationship is often all about: misunderstandings, good intentions, a lot of yelling, and a lot of love. This is why the film struck such a strong cord with audiences back in 1995 and why even now it is well-remembered by the kids who grew up watching it.

Despite its successful run in the United States box office in 1995–making over $35 million dollars by time it reached its close–and spawning a direct-to-video sequel film, An Extremely Goofy movie in 2000 based on Goofy and Max's time in college, A Goofy Movie remains to be one of the many animated films that has been sidelined by Disney for the better part of the last two decades when it comes to merchandising and use of the characters from the movie. Fans remember the movie fondly, though, and there is even an official Facebook account for the film that is updated regularly with images from A Goofy Movie and blog posts the film is featured in on the Oh My Disney! blogA Goofy Movie was briefly brought into the limelight last year in August for a special A Goofy Movie 20th Anniversary Reunion panel at D23 Expo 2015 where screenwriter Jymn Magon, Bill Farmer (Goofy), Jason Marsden (Max), Jim Cummings (Pete), Rob Paulsen (PJ), and Jenna Von Oy (Stacey) discussed the creative process behind the beloved film with an audience filled with adoring fans. Beyond that, though? Not much at all. 

I’m not here to rant about what makes A Goofy Movie one of Disney’s more obscured yet utterly fantastic 90s films in its large roster, though. 

Part of what made A Goofy Movie so iconic to Millennials was not just the comedic and heartwarming moments, nor the impressive cast that embodies everything people remember about the 80s and 90s, but because of A Goofy Movie’s biggest in-universe rockstar—Powerline. By blending the quirky fashion sense of Prince with the energetic dancing of Michael Jackson and Grammy Award nominee Tevin Campbell’s voice, a truly unforgettable character was created that stands out among the rest in A Goofy Movie despite Powerline's actual appearance only lasting the runtime of one musical number. In fact, Powerline is probably one of the characters people remember the most from A Goofy Movie due to the two most catchy and rhythmic songs he sang in the film, "Stand Out" and "I 2 I (Eye to Eye)".

While Powerline is one of the more recognizable characters from A Goofy Movie, he is not the first character people imagine when you ask them who they wish to see as a summon in in Kingdom Hearts III, and I can say with certainty that before last year, it hadn’t even crossed my mind except in brief passing. I only started reconsidering it when I started thinking about how fun it would be to see Goofy break out into the Perfect Cast as a special attack of his following my weekend at D23 Expo 2015, then it lead to me imagining Sora and Donald joining in to make it a kind of trinity attack, which then made me start humming "I 2 I" because of course that was the only natural course of my thought since Goofy does do the Perfect Cast as a dance move during Powerline's big song in A Goofy Movie. It didn't take much for my oh-so-brilliant thought to finally evolve to "What if Sora was dancing with Powerline and the power of magical music and dancing wrecked all of Sora's enemies?"

It's not like the lyrics to "I 2 I" aren't already about the power of "listen[ing] to each other's heart" to find love and understanding in another, which crosses over perfectly with the themes of friendship and hearts in Kingdom Hearts. (See how great I'm making my case?)

Now, before people start freaking out over a potential “musical” summon with "musical" attacks, it is a good idea to remember Stitch in Kingdom Hearts II who would strum out magical attack on a ukelele as Sora improvised by making his Keyblade an air-guitar, Jack Skellington whose limit "Applause, Applause" was a suave and spooktastic dance with Sora, and Necho Cat in Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] who danced with Sora to a rhythm only a six-footed cat could dance to in order to damage enemies. While each of the above combat partner had a music-themed attack to them, there was very little of what people typically fear when it comes to Kingdom Hearts in general: rhythm mini-games. Soured by Atlantica in KHII and Ice Cream Beat in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, I'm certain we all want to see KHIII avoid ever having anything resembling a rhythm game.

For Powerline, I was imagining something a bit more elegant (and completely unrelated to a rhythm game) with your regular combat imput commands. If character summons work in a similar fashion to how they did in KHII, when summoned and left passive Powerline would do a few dance moves and sing to debuff and put status ailments on enemies or give buffs to Sora like a Bard or Dancer from Final Fantasy; when summoned and made active, he and Sora would dance to a short edit of "I 2 I" and hit enemies with a mix of magical and physical attacks, complete with Powerline's backup dancers along with Goofy and Donald for the big finale attack. 

Of course, this is just one idea since nobody really knows how summons will work in KHIII at the moment, but it is always fun to imagine the possibilites!

Much of the appeal in Kingdom Hearts has always come from the nostalgic feeling of seeing beloved Disney films being given new life with new or altered storylines and seeing Sora, Donald, and Goofy interact with the characters of these films, and I have always wondered why A Goofy Movie couldn't also be one of those films that gets recognition by the series? Obviously a world based on the film is nigh impossible considering the backstory of the Goofy in Kingdom Hearts, and everybody asks to see Max in the series anyways, so why not go for the next best thing that nobody would ever expect?

(But mainly I just want to see parts of "I 2 I" to make it into KHIII. I'm selfish. I'm sorry.)

Do you want to see Powerline in KHIII? Let us know in the comment section on our forums, and don't be afraid to tell us what summons you want to see in KHIII!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Image source: Disney Screencaps

Awards
Wow, this a very lenghty argument. There are a lot of valid points. Now, I don't want to offend you but, someone like Powerline doesn't.....seem.....very......fittting(*covers head and shivers in fear in the corner*)

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wow, this a very lenghty argument. There are a lot of valid points. Now, I don't want to offend you but, someone like Powerline doesn't.....seem.....very......fittting(*covers head and shivers in fear in the corner*)

It's an editorial, specifically an opinion piece. I'm looking for discussion, not blind agreement or disagreement. Also:

"don't be afraid to tell us what summons you want to see in KHIII!"

Awards
It's an editorial, specifically an opinion piece. I'm looking for discussion, not blind agreement or disagreement. Also:

"don't be afraid to tell us what summons you want to see in KHIII!"

Probably........um......let's see.....Baymax from Big Hero 6. Seeing how BH6 will be in KH3, it seems like a dumb decision not to.(Really nervous)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Holy heck, I-I remember this movie! Used to saw commercial of it whit the scene were Max and Goofy are fishing in the woods. I have probably only seen this once, but I remember enjoying it. Man, back then the dubbing was so good.
But yes, ahem... sorry, got some nostalgia on my eye.

I would love to see I 2 I in KHIII. Like you said a an summon with music and dancing integrated into it has been already done and the potential connection it could have with the FF jobs/classes is an interesting idea. And honestly, I think many people would just love to see Sora, Donald and Goofy do dance moves with Powerline. :D I certainly would. Anything relating to Max would also be interesting.

Maybe the summons could be leveled up in a unique way? The more levels it gets, the better SDG dance with Powerline, gives more and better buffs and etc...?

(Is that Tokyo Ghoul JAIL I see in you`r trophy card Master? o_o )

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Holy heck, I-I remember this movie! Used to saw commercial of it whit the scene were Max and Goofy are fishing in the woods. I have probably only seen this once, but I remember enjoying it. Man, back then the dubbing was so good.
But yes, ahem... sorry, got some nostalgia on my eye.

You might be interested in watching the panel I have linked in the editorial then. They talk about the dubbing process and man it was crazy. They were going to have Bill Farmer talk with his normal voice and recorded the entire film that way before they had him come back and redub the entire thing with his Goofy voice!

The dub was absolutely fantastic! Just another bit of proof on of how great Disney is at vocal direction.

I would love to see I 2 I in KHIII. Like you said a an summon with music and dancing integrated into it has been already done and the potential connection it could have with the FF jobs/classes is an interesting idea. And honestly, I think many people would just love to see Sora, Donald and Goofy do dance moves with Powerline. :D I certainly would. Anything relating to Max would also be interesting.

Maybe the summons could be leveled up in a unique way? The more levels it gets, the better SDG dance with Powerline, gives more and better buffs and etc...?

(I really want Max the most in the game tbh)

A level-up system where more buffs/debuffs are added would be really interesting. Summons in KH2 kind of started out one way and stayed the same except for Genie. Seeing them have a growth system that actually matters would make them worth using more often.

(Is that Tokyo Ghoul JAIL I see in you`r trophy card Master? o_o )

yes, yes it is! 8D I haven't played the game obviously but I want to even though I doubt it'll ever be localized ;~;

Awards
You might be interested in watching the panel I have linked in the editorial then. They talk about the dubbing process and man it was crazy. They were going to have Bill Farmer talk with his normal voice and recorded the entire film that way before they had him come back and redub the entire thing with his Goofy voice!

The dub was absolutely fantastic! Just another bit of proof on of how great Disney is at vocal direction.

(I really want Max the most in the game tbh)

A level-up system where more buffs/debuffs are added would be really interesting. Summons in KH2 kind of started out one way and stayed the same except for Genie. Seeing them have a growth system that actually matters would make them worth using more often.

yes, yes it is! 8D I haven't played the game obviously but I want to even though I doubt it'll ever be localized ;~;

About that Tokyo Ghoul JAIL game, you can buy a JP copy of it on Play Asia.
Also, I'm not......really invested in Disney stuff most of the time. I literally play the KH games with very little knowledge of the Disney films( I feel like a monster for that)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
unfortunately i believe III is going to cater mostly to this generation hence all the newer disney movies

but i think some dumb, purposely campy nostalgic summon like powerline would be great and reattract millennials to the series they loved as children.

THE LYRICS ARE BACK/DAMN IT ARIELLE/SO INFECTIOUS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Eye to eye to be kh 3 theme, can we get a petition going?

Yes, immediately. I'm also calling on people to come to Burbank in this awful rain and hold signs with Powerline on them in front of WDAS to show how serious we really are.

unfortunately i believe III is going to cater mostly to this generation hence all the newer disney movies

I really hope not. KH3 needs to appeal to everybody, and a huge number of the audience for the games are in their late teens to early/mid twenties. WE MATTER ;~; I demand the things that made me laugh as a kid.

but i think some dumb, purposely campy nostalgic summon like powerline would be great and reattract millennials to the series they loved as children.

KH3 needs it. It really does. It doesn't matter what it is, but as long as it is something fun and can be remembered fondly by everybody.

THE LYRICS ARE BACK/DAMN IT ARIELLE/SO INFECTIOUS

I AM SO SORRY/NOT SORRY

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
We must be really bored :/

Anyway Powerline as a summon is a odd but interesting idea for a summon. If only because I would like to see Xehanort or Isa`s reactions if Sora summons him during a cutscene. That`d be hilarious seeing Sora and Powerline doing the perfect cast while fighting them

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
We must be really bored :/

Well...there is a Famitsu thing but it's getting translated. But expect more editorials for the next few months while Nomura stays "underground"...

Anyway Powerline as a summon is a odd but interesting idea for a summon. If only because I would like to see Xehanort or Isa`s reactions if Sora summons him during a cutscene. That`d be hilarious seeing Sora and Powerline doing the perfect cast while fighting them

That was the idea! It's really strange but it has merit because it's so left field and fun.

That'd definitely would be hilarious xD

jnh71193

Awards
This is a great read! Great job on this!

spawning a direct-to-sequel film, An Extremely Goofy movie in 2000

Did you mean direct-to-video sequel?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I really hope not.KH3 needs to appeal to everybody, and a huge number of the audience for the games are in their late teens to early/mid twenties. WE MATTER ;~; I demand the things that made me laugh as a kid.
*nods*
From the older fans to younger fans, KH3 can't cater to just the whippersnappers out there and seat us old farts in a corner with empty plates.

Because what new worlds we've seen (granted it's only been two) have been from recent movies, I worry this'll be the case. But I do hope it isn't. Disney has such a plethora of great movies (and TV shows) that we the fans have grown up on that it'd be a darn shame for them to be simply ignored because they think it wouldn't appeal to the younger crowd.

That would be hilarious!

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Hey, Chicken Little made it in as a summon. Anything is possible.

I don't think we have to worry about KH3 only catering to the younger kids. I think Nomura once said something about this series not just being for children anymore. He's aware that most of the hardcore fans are adults now. If anything, I can see 'em going all-out with catering to 90's nostalgia.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
When has KH ever been for kids really? Just because there's disney in it? Naaah...
I really want Baymax as a summon. <3

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
*nods*
From the older fans to younger fans, KH3 can't cater to just the whippersnappers out there and seat us old farts in a corner with empty plates.

Because what new worlds we've seen (granted it's only been two) have been from recent movies, I worry this'll be the case. But I do hope it isn't. Disney has such a plethora of great movies (and TV shows) that we the fans have grown up on that it'd be a darn shame for them to be simply ignored because they think it wouldn't appeal to the younger crowd.

That would be hilarious!

Yeah, my worry is that they will be too awed by working with newer stuff that they won't try to look far for what people really liked in the past and would have a unique contribution to the series *coughGargoyescough* and settle with the most popular stuff.

I know they can be trusted because damn KH3D had Julius and the Three Musketeers, so anything is definitely within the realm of reason, but Big Hero 6 and Tangled as our first two announcements were a bit...jarring I suppose. Great choices and wonderful films, but something i don't want to be the trend.

Hey, Chicken Little made it in as a summon. Anything is possible.

Mm, but they were trying to promote the film before it released in Japan so...it had somewhat of a purpose. Powerline would just be about pure nostalgia and awesomeness <3

I don't think we have to worry about KH3 only catering to the younger kids. I think Nomura once said something about this series not just being for children anymore. He's aware that most of the hardcore fans are adults now. If anything, I can see 'em going all-out with catering to 90's nostalgia.

He did. I believe it was in a KH3D interview where he discussed how the series hasn't really been for kids for a long time. I think it is more that the game has universal appeal now.

*hopes for major 90s nostalgia* I mean, it is in right now. Look at all of the stuff that is getting revived!

When has KH ever been for kids really? Just because there's disney in it? Naaah...
I really want Baymax as a summon. <3

Haha, even KH1 was a pretty dark game when you look at everything that happened.

Awards
I just wish that KH3 has some decent summons. Maybe do something with it, like leveling up summons and making them stronger. Or possibly use them as strategic assets in difficult boss battles that will yield benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back