• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

358/2 days title meaning

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Three-five-eight days over two: the most Kingdom Heartsy of Kingdom Hearts titles.

I remember Nomura once saying the title would become clear by the end of the game. It didn't. XD
It's a stupid title but has it's charm. I wish it was simply called Kingdom Hearts Days because, to quote Ballad:

It has a deeper meaning than "358/2 Days" because reading the number makes you lose a bit. "Days" can have just an ample meaning, like: the Days Roxas spent on the Org; Days he spent with Axel/Xion/both; the Days he missed Xion; and so on. Plus, trying to read "Kingdom Hearts, three-five-eight days over two" is a mouthful, LOL.
--
And I think "358/2 Days" means that two Nobodies related to Sora were living 358 days in the organization, while the missing 7 that adds to 365 days (a year) is the last week of existence Roxas had as an individual before fusing with Sora..
That's what I figured as well.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
^ I agree. Poor Roxas had his own life and his own memories for only a year before returning to Sora. Though a year is pretty long, Roxas had basically a crappy year with drama and losing his friends. The only things that were good was Roxas eating ice cream with Axel and Xion at the clock tower.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I was rather confused at first when I saw the title, but after playing the game and reading stuff here and there, I think the title is interesting. It makes more sense when you have played it, and I am sharing Absent`s view about the titles meaning. Still, it`s a little awkward trying to explain these things to your friends, and even after you have explained they still think it`s a bit weird. You at least remember the name of the title since it`s so unusual.

Hmm, if you divide 358 with 2 you get 179. I wonder if that has any deeper meaning?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Hmm, if you divide 358 with 2 you get 179. I wonder if that has any deeper meaning?
I noticed that too, but after playing around with it for a bit, it doesn't seem to have much significance, at least in the usual KH fashion.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
It doesn't really have deeper meaning because you're not supposed to read the title that way.

"358 Days Over 2" is how you're supposed to say it, even though it is not written like that.

Nomura has already explained the meaning behind the title ("358 days shared over two people") the only mystery left to the players is who the two people refer to and there are decent arguments made for all sorts of combinations.

-- Just one more thing that I think everyone is wondering, just what does the title "358/2 Days" mean?
Nomura: That's the question that everyone has to ask in interviews. (laughs) There is an answer, but I think it's best not to answer it. Well okay, I'll give a little hint. "/2" is read in English as "over two", but this isn't the kind of over that means to "pass over" something. The 358 days are shared between two people, so "/2", but I'd rather you imagine which two we are talking about. After you've finished playing it you might change your mind about who the two people are.

-- 358 Days is one week short of a complete year, of course...
Nomura: Yes, of course for people who played KH2 they know that the game is like a countdown to the final day. And of course they know the realize why it's missing that one week. So they already know the reason for the title is that it is "a week short of a year, split between two people." But is that really the true answer? I named this game hoping that people would think on it even after they've finished playing it.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I noticed that too, but after playing around with it for a bit, it doesn't seem to have much significance, at least in the usual KH fashion.

It doesn't really have deeper meaning because you're not supposed to read the title that way.

Aah okay, thanks! For a little while I thought I might be onto something.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Haha, not everything is as numbers and symbolism-heavy as Tokyo Ghoul, Hemmo. =w=

Regardless, let's look for hidden tarot cards in the games now 8D

Yeah, I know. :D The human brain searches for patterns in the surroundings so I guess it´s natural to look for patterns, but TG has really cranked that up for another level for me.

i guess the X in Org members names can be taken as tarot card 10. xD but yeah I`ll stop derailing the thread now.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
the only mystery left to the players is who the two people refer to and there are decent arguments made for all sorts of combinations.

i prefer to think of it as sora and roxas! discuss and show ur working (using numbers)

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Obviously the 358 is the Days that encompass the time span between Roxas's creation and subsequent acquisition by Xemnas into the Organization. That much is clear.

The two can possibly be taken in several different ways. To make it simple we can list the most likely ones and then pick.

- 2 being Axel and Roxas, since the game focuses on their friendship
- 2 being Roxas and Xion, since both started about the same time and experienced most of the game together
- 2 being Sora and Roxas, the two versions of Sora, the two pawns of Xemnas.

Another idea I had though is the 2 represents Roxas and Xion, but not the characters themselves.
- The two could mean the "Two halves" of Sora's memories that went into them.
- 358 Days Over Two could be thought of as 358 Days Dividing the Two, as in dividing KH 1 and 2, or Sora and Roxas.

Mirashade

Awards
The way I figured, after mulling it over when it was new, was that it was supposed to be "Three Hundred Fifty Eight 'Half' Days" like what VoidGear said. It would've made sense if you consider that you play through 358 days(the year Sora was asleep, minus the week Roxas spends in virtual TT) as half a person, so it's like only half living them.

That made sense to me, and is kinda meaningful, but hearing all this that it's officially Three-Five-Eight Over Two and that the "over two" means its about two people just makes the title seem stupid. It's not very clear which two people the 358 is "over" and shouldn't be in the title as a defined numerical value if no one can see what it's talking about.

Overall, my opinion on 358/2: It's a complex title, maybe forgivably so if it holds metaphorical depth like "358 days lived by half a person." Less forgivable if Over 2 is some needless complication added to make the title more interesting looking. Ah, I accidentally defined Xion.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Maybe the title represents how long it takes to actually defeat the Dustflier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back