• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Black Coat's white clover

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I saw that many fans call the flower the first Black Coat was holding a dandelion, which is not quite true as the flower is not a dandelion.

I identified the flower pretty easily after re-watching the trailer, thanks to my childhood memories. I grew up at the countryside and the flora there is very similar to the flora we saw in the trailer, by looks and by the flower species that are evident to see - so far, dandelions indeed and of course, clover. Lots of both.

Since I'd like to clear this misunderstanding, the flower is not a dandelion, nor a daisy (as I first thought, too). It is a white clover, after all. Clover flowers can be either violet or white; in our case, it's a white clover flower.

Dandelions are present in the trailer in the scene where Apocalypse-Coaty is being sassy around the Unicornis Forete--... I mean, um, Ira is talking to the second Black Coat.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I, of course, am not the only one who noticed that the flower is a white clover. This Tumblr post, for example, saw it too and also contributed with few but varied interpretations of clover and clover flowers in general, probably from a dream-symbolism perspective as she mentions those as source.

Now, from my knowledge, one of my Symbol Dictionaries and an illustrated book about the language of flowers that I have, I'd like to write down the information that I have/find related to this, because nothing is without a meaning in KH, much to our joy or despair o 7 o... I know it's not much, it's but a flower shown for a few second in a trailer, but perhaps it would be a nice thing to have this down //hides

White clover, aka Trifolium repens...

• [*=1]In Celtic and druid faith, it was considered to have magical powers. Generally seen as a symbol of luck. So far, nothing related to our trailer info, imo;
    [*=1]Clover denotes happiness, more specifically the joy of the heart. Personally, in this sense, I find it beautiful that the Black Coat is holding this little meaningful flower while he says "This world is full of light";
    [*=1]Then, white clover flowers denote the ease of the heart. Also, white is the colour of infinite chances, infinite opportunities, much like a blank canvas, thus the white flower could as well describe that world of ancient times like this;
    [*=1]It's said that if someone is giving you a white clover flower, it holds the message "Think of me..." OR "I promise"/"It's a promise". I think "It's a promise" would make more sense, connecting it to our subject;
    [*=1]Because of its three leaves, clover can be a symbolic reminder of past-present-future.

That is all that I wanted to share / o \

So, it's not a dandelion, it's a lovely innocent white clover <3

radiantmemories

Nice research! I should have known it wasn't a dandelion, since those white clovers are pretty plentiful where I live too. Those meanings sure fit with KH. I wonder which one of them Nomura was thinking of.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Interesting, Flowers are now a new symbolic association of the Kingdom Hearts universe. First clovers, now Dandelions. I wouldn't be surprised if a Rose pops up in the narrative.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Interesting, Flowers are now a new symbolic association of the Kingdom Hearts universe. First clovers, now Dandelions. I wouldn't be surprised if a Rose pops up in the narrative.

Roses, huh?
*stares at Marluxia*
... Wait, were those actually cherry petals? I can't remember.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Cherry petals I believe, sometimes associated with death (and he's associated with a reaper)

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Roses, huh?
*stares at Marluxia*
... Wait, were those actually cherry petals? I can't remember.

In CoM, I think they are indeed cherry petals
7-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-07-31_12-05-20-93.jpg

But in the other games, as far as I noticed, it's clear that his flowers are roses
tumblr_my5mykqOLa1r96gqfo1_500.gif
tumblr_n9k2h63uT51qkicnko2_500.gif

Sally-boiii

Awards
But he did also have thorn vines show along with the flower. I distinctly remember Kairi (or Namine?) being held up by some thorny vines in the CoM manga. So, it arguably go either way, couldn't it?

Muke

whatever
Awards
But he did also have thorn vines show along with the flower. I distinctly remember Kairi (or Namine?) being held up by some thorny vines in the CoM manga. So, it arguably go either way, couldn't it?
It was Naminé.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
Yup, that scene was with Namine, poor girl
In the CoM manga, he's also shown holding a rose every now and then. #RoseConfirmed

still , his scythe is called Graceful Dahlia, which is again a different flower u ^ u

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Cherry petals I believe, sometimes associated with death (and he's associated with a reaper)

I think his Reaper association was to do with the connotations of Pink in Japan. The colour Pink can be used as a represent of death. It's funny, my original comment was posted without the thought of Marluxia, but now that flowers are starting to have more of a prominence, it's be cool if Marluxia's somebody was a florist. Just a thought that could explain his association of the Rose.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
This is interesting. Flowers seem to be appearing more in KH. Maybe there is a link? I remember wondering about the flower chambers that held Sora, Donald and Goofy in Twilight Town. When you checked them, it said that the empty ones (next to Donald and Goofy) were used recently or something. I was curious about that since only SDG used them.

Then there's the rose in Beauty and the Beast. Could there have been another reason that Xaldin wanted the rose? Yes, controlling Beast and turning him into a nobody was one use of it, but maybe something else?

And again, there's the flower from Tangled. Marluxia's relation to roses.

It's probably nothing, but I feel like this is a recurring theme that they should play around with.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Wait...people thought it was a dandelion? Adorable!
Nice to know the history of the white clover tho, lul.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Wait...people thought it was a dandelion? Adorable!
Nice to know the history of the white clover tho, lul.
I confess I thought it was a dandelion. Not the typical variety, mind you, but this Japanese breed:
T_albidum01.jpg

I will admit the clover is definitely a closer match. Seems a little weird for them to randomly include a different flower symbol though.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I confess I thought it was a dandelion. Not the typical variety, mind you, but this Japanese breed:
T_albidum01.jpg

That does look quite a bit closer, yes, but somehow less fluffy.
Then again, it's still animated, so who really knows.

DarkGrey Heroine

Awards
I think his Reaper association was to do with the connotations of Pink in Japan. The colour Pink can be used as a represent of death. It's funny, my original comment was posted without the thought of Marluxia, but now that flowers are starting to have more of a prominence, it's be cool if Marluxia's somebody was a florist. Just a thought that could explain his association of the Rose.

Yes, the colour pink is seen quite differently in Japan than we'd expect xD *thinks of Yuno Gasai for some reason*
Roses are a widely used symbol of perfection, or better, reaching perfection, taking how the flower grows in consideration - rising above other flowers thanks to its long stem and then there's the rich, wide opening to the skies, the corola. Because of its perfume, the rose is enchanting/seducing and therefore can be misleading, mendacious, which is quite true in Marluxia's case, being the Graceful Assassin and the one who went against the Organization.
And then there's this other meaning... that of regeneration and rebirth. Which leads me to the next reply below...

This is interesting. Flowers seem to be appearing more in KH. Maybe there is a link? I remember wondering about the flower chambers that held Sora, Donald and Goofy in Twilight Town. When you checked them, it said that the empty ones (next to Donald and Goofy) were used recently or something. I was curious about that since only SDG used them.

... those chambers resembled the shape of lotus flowers, a known symbol of rebirth, as the flower's origins are underwater and the flower must rise above the water to bloom. The rose itself has a pretty similar way to grow, like I described previously, both flowers must grow long stems to "rise above" something and then "open" towards a higher world. I am also forever curious about those used chambers, but I guess that will remain a mystery to us... unless we are given hints to that specific thing in the future somehow.

Then there's the rose in Beauty and the Beast. Could there have been another reason that Xaldin wanted the rose? Yes, controlling Beast and turning him into a nobody was one use of it, but maybe something else?

And again, there's the flower from Tangled. Marluxia's relation to roses.

It's probably nothing, but I feel like this is a recurring theme that they should play around with.

I think the magical rose of The Beauty and The Beast has its own meaning inside its fairytale, KH didn't mix in that for specific reasons. The Rose held great importance to the Beast and thus, used by Xaldin, it became an object of... blackmail xD

Interesting find, DarkGrey!

The first time I watched the trailer I thought it was a lollipop XD

HOW could a lollipop swing that way so easily? A lollipop's stick would be rather hard, wouldn't it? lol

T_albidum01.jpg

I will admit the clover is definitely a closer match. Seems a little weird for them to randomly include a different flower symbol though.

This is something I didn't think of o.o but still, like you said, the white clover flower looks much more similar to the flower in the trailer
Perhaps the KH staff is just really into flowers recently? The recent FFXV trailers also introduced a certain type of lower to us, which I still can't identify
Spoiler Spoiler Show

and the character Gentiana has the name of the actual flower too, the gentiana species, which has quite many variations

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
In CoM, I think they are indeed cherry petals
7-VisualBoyAdvance_2007-07-31_12-05-20-93.jpg

But in the other games, as far as I noticed, it's clear that his flowers are roses
tumblr_my5mykqOLa1r96gqfo1_500.gif
tumblr_n9k2h63uT51qkicnko2_500.gif

A change which was most likely be made because especially younger audiences in the west probably won't get the association cherry blossom = death/reaper that is intended in the japanese original.

That's why we now have Rose-Lord Marluxia, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of of the South from House Tyrell...;P

T_albidum01.jpg

Only if the flower symbol is really unprecedent in the series though.

So far I have always described these weird flower pods SDG slept in as a form of oversized white artichokes, but when looking closely at both the image where Coaty holds it as well as the one where DarkGrey shows of the real flower one can draw similarities to the pods.

• [*=1]Then, white clover flowers denote the ease of the heart. Also, white is the colour of infinite chances, infinite opportunities, much like a blank canvas, thus the white flower could as well describe that world of ancient times like this;
    [*=1]It's said that if someone is giving you a white clover flower, it holds the message "Think of me..." OR "I promise"/"It's a promise". I think "It's a promise" would make more sense, connecting it to our subject;

These two explanations can also be assigned to the flower pods, the end of CoM and SDGs state during these times as well as they clearly went into the pods out of their own will and thus with a certain ease of heart as it gave them the prospect to get their memories back.
The "Think of me"-part may also refer specifically to Naminé telling Sora to finally recall and think of Kairi and in turn after her, all the others he forgot which was shown as a montage in the finale of CoM when he was already in the flower pod and everyone Sora befriended during KH 1 appeared on screen.
Furthermore, the "I promise" or "it's a promise"-part is also present as right before that Sora and Naminé make a promise about that eventually they will find each other again and then they will be friends for real without lies. They even seal it with joining their pinky fingers.
It's a promise that has yet to be truly fulfilled in-series, but one that has been brought up again more subtly in DDD.
Re: CoM said:
Naminé: Don't worry. You might forget about me...but with our promise, I can come back.

Sora: A promise is a promise.

Naminé: Yes. One day the light---it will be ours, and it will bring us together. Til then---I'll be in your heart.

Sora: Right. Forgotten---but not lost.

Some may interpret that as some flowery language and wishful thinking, but in KH it certainly has the possibility to come true and the part I bolded above is what was alluded to in DDD as while Naminé's actual essence may be inside Kairi, the trigger to a possible awakening lies within Sora.

For a possible more close comparison to the flower pods in their closed state it would probably help to find a picture of a white clover where the blossom isn't yet open.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
... those chambers resembled the shape of lotus flowers, a known symbol of rebirth, as the flower's origins are underwater and the flower must rise above the water to bloom. The rose itself has a pretty similar way to grow, like I described previously, both flowers must grow long stems to "rise above" something and then "open" towards a higher world. I am also forever curious about those used chambers, but I guess that will remain a mystery to us... unless we are given hints to that specific thing in the future somehow.
Lotus, huh... Oh, that reminds me. Have you ever heard of "the land of the lotus eaters?" It's a place spoken of in The Odyssey where the inhabitants do nothing except eat magical narcotic lotus flowers and spend their lives dreaming. I believe the god of dreams, Morpheus, provided said flowers and watched the people's dreams for his amusement.
I'm not sure if this actually has anything to do with those pod or not, but it's kinda funny that they happen to resemble giant lotuses and are associated with sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back