• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

s.o.s

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I could use some pointers. Here's what I got so far:

vlXfEbb.png

PUth1K3.png

DoGeANe.png

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
well i didnt know you didnt know you did graphics dude. they look nice.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
well i didnt know you didnt know you did graphics dude. they look nice.

Thanks Chuman. It's been my first attempt since 2012. A bit of a shot in the dark to ask for help here, but I figured I'd try :p

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Firsts?

A few questions for you.

1. What program are you using?
2. How comfortable are you with it? (using layers, effects, moving things around, etc.)

I can really only give advice based on how experienced you are, older members tend to take base of their familiarity with creating stuff like this and assume for the most part people are as equally familiar.

For your firsts though it's not bad, most people when they start their takes seem to try really hard using existing colors with whatever the focal point is. Just as a general aesthetic and dynamic, it makes it less interesting (that is just my personal taste and I shame you not for it!) In future pieces play with different colors a bit, it'll create a broader dynamic in your pieces and make them more interesting, gives the eyes more things to search for.

Just as a pointer/rule of thumb.
-Try something like this, keeping your focal point/stock 1/3rd the size of the canvas or even a bit smaller.
-Try fusing the stock with a background (BG) of either a similar color, or manipulate the BG.
-Light source, or something that casts over the stock so they don't feel as dark.

Last piece from me. Definitely check out this thread right here in DM called "Agony Artists" over the years theres a bunch of different resources that artists like myself have posted in it.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
A few questions for you.

1. What program are you using?
2. How comfortable are you with it? (using layers, effects, moving things around, etc.)

1. GIMP
2. Beginner

I can really only give advice based on how experienced you are, older members tend to take base of their familiarity with creating stuff like this and assume for the most part people are as equally familiar.

I'm only looking for things one would change, so feedback essentially. Like what works and doesn't work.

For your firsts though it's not bad, most people when they start their takes seem to try really hard using existing colors with whatever the focal point is. Just as a general aesthetic and dynamic, it makes it less interesting (that is just my personal taste and I shame you not for it!) In future pieces play with different colors a bit, it'll create a broader dynamic in your pieces and make them more interesting, gives the eyes more things to search for.

Thanks and you're right. I need to experiment more with my pieces.

Just as a pointer/rule of thumb.
-Try something like this, keeping your focal point/stock 1/3rd the size of the canvas or even a bit smaller.
-Try fusing the stock with a background (BG) of either a similar color, or manipulate the BG.
-Light source, or something that casts over the stock so they don't feel as dark.

The first point is good advice. I can see now how much better the renders fit with my canvas size.
I've been doing the second point with a gaussian blur or smudge tool, but what other techniques could you advise?
Light sources are something I need to learn. Any pointers?

Last piece from me. Definitely check out this thread right here in DM called "Agony Artists" over the years theres a bunch of different resources that artists like myself have posted in it.

The thread holds some good information as it it's more of an explanation behind certain terms. Lots of discussion of "flow" made me realize none of pieces have any. Yeah..I need to work on that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back