• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy - "And so their quest began"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
14w4lly.png

Originally released in late 1987 for the Nintendo Family Computer in Japan, the original Final Fantasy game became a major turning point for Square. Facing the imminent threat of bankruptcy, this game was intended to be the company's swansong but unexpectedly turned out to be successful enough to keep the company afloat.
30i89e9.png

"And the rest is history" -Maechen

Ports - original:
(in chronological order)

• NES
  • MSX2
  • Mobile (Java)

The game received a complete makeover in 2000, when it was re-released in Japan for the ill-fated WonderSwan Color. Subsequent rereleases of this game were based on this remake.

Ports - remake:
(in chronological order)

• PS1
  • GBA
  • PSP
  • iOS
  • Windows Phone
  • Android
  • 3DS

znqv15.png

In celebration of its 25th anniversary, Square Enix released an official novelisation of the game written by Umemura Takashi. This book, titled Memory of Heroes, marked the first and only time the Four Warriors of Light were given names. These are as follows:

Zest, the Warrior
Sauber, the Thief
Floe, the White Mage
Daewoo, the Black Mage

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Can't say I'm very excited about this mini console though. Other companies like SEGA and SNK have been doing this for years and people dismissed it as cheap and tacky - yet now Nintendo is receiving praise for doing the same. But I digress, I'm glad that this at least marks the first time the NES version of the game is officially released in Europe! I wouldn't mind the 3DS version of Final Fantasy receiving a physical release in the west. They could always bundle it something else.

Anyway, I was happy to learn about the Four Warriors of Light being given canon names and jobs. Can't believe it took me four years to find out about it! But it made me want to replay the game again based on this novella.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Final Fantasy 3D pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee come to the West!!!!!! I haven't played this game since the PSP port.

LingeringVanitas

There is no 3ds version....the only 3DS Final Fantasy game is Explorers....

OH and it was on Famicom first, not NES. Even though both are the same version.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

You do realize the Famicom is really just the Japanese NES, right?
Of course not a 100%, but...really.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

You might want to make sure you're right before trying to correct others. As others have mentioned, there is a 3DS enhanced port based on the PSP version available for 3DS in Japan.

And if you're referring to my post regarding Famicom, it's mentioned in the very first sentence:
"Originally released in late 1987 for the Nintendo Family Computer in Japan"

;)

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Memory of Heroes now has an official translation, with updated English names of the four warriors of light:

Setro - Warrior
Zauver - Thief
Teol - Black Mage
Flora - White Mage

Back