• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Aqua Chose Sora Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
That's because it was Riku's powerful light that brought Terra to DI. He was a child that wanted to "protect the things that matter", I've no doubt Riku would've been Aqua's choice too had she not been busy in other Disney worlds.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Terra felt a strong light coming from Riku. That's what guided him to the Destiny Islands in the first place. I'd say that's the main reason choosing Sora wasn't an option. Terra would've never found them if it hadn't been for Riku.

That's how it was? I should really replay BBS, can't remember anything anymore :D I just checked Aqua's cutscenes and she feels a light too, so I guess she initially went there for the same reason. Now I'm not so sure anymore about who she was going to pick :v I think she might have at least given it some thought before doing it, if Riku didn't already have it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Aqua merely says that "one of them might be special enough". She doesn't pick either Sora or Riku, just acknowledges that Riku already has the power and that one keyblade is enough for a friendship (which is stupid because the keyblade was never the reason TAV split up and started fighting).
I'm not quite sure Aqua would've passed the power to any of them in the end, if Terra hadn't already.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
And water is wet.
Everything you have stated are only facts, none of that is character development.

No, that's actually not "development".
Those are just things she is.
It's like, I can introduce my own original character and spend half an hour naming its titles, like "King of the West" "Vanquisher of Toothbrushes" and so on, but that doesn't develop its character at all. They're just statements about it.

Character development is defined as "The process of creating a character's background, physicality, appearance, and personality".

Everything that I mentioned earlier fits into that category from an objective standpoint. I'm not saying that Kairi had good character development, I'm just saying that she has character development whatever little there is. Acting as though she has no character development at all is baffling to say the least.

For example, knowing that Kairi is a Princess of Heart means that she will have a connection with the other Disney Princesses. That’s a trait of her character. She’s a Princess. Yes, that’s a statement. But that statement is a formation of her character. Give a character enough adjectives to describe them and you’re able to piece together said character’s personality. Personality is a factor for character development.

Kairi on the other hand has been prominent in multiple games yet faild to develop character traits that don't revolve around Sora or her status as a PoH.

That's barely more than stated facts. Being someones love interest or someones somebody...how is that development?

Actually, in BBS, we see that Kairi originated from Radiant Garden as a child. That’s a development into a character’s past thus being classified as character development because we are delving deeper into said character by seeing them in different era’s.

And believe it or not, a love interest is an aspect of character development beyond a trope. Sure, it can be argued that’s nothing more than a trope, but it’s also a relationship dynamic. A relationship dynamic that affects the protagonist of the franchise (Sora), and ultimately, how the audience perceives Kairi in the narrative of Kingdom Hearts.

Again, I’m not saying that Nomura did a good job on Kairi's character development, I’m just saying that she has development. Just minimal development. There’s no way in arguing against that objectively. No character development means that we know "nothing" about the character outside appearances, and clearly, that's not the case for Kairi.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Character development is defined as "The process of creating a character's background, physicality, appearance, and personality".

You're referring to development as in "creation" right now though.
That's a different thing than building up new character arcs, which is what a video game or any medium that goes on especially for as many entries as KH should do.

For example, knowing that Kairi is a Princess of Heart means that she will have a connection with the other Disney Princesses.

Yeah, and giving her character meaning would've been (e.g.) to let her actually interact with the other princesses. Which she didn't.

Actually, in BBS, we see that Kairi originated from Radiant Garden as a child. That’s a development into a character’s past thus being classified as character development because we are delving deeper into said character by seeing them in different era’s.

Developing as a character and being developed by the developers are two entirely different things. While well-developed characters like Riku do the first, characters like Kairi do the latter at best.

And believe it or not, a love interest is an aspect of character development beyond a trope. Sure, it can be argued that’s nothing more than a trope, but it’s also a relationship dynamic. A relationship dynamic that affects the protagonist of the franchise (Sora), and ultimately, how the audience perceives Kairi in the narrative of Kingdom Hearts.

If a character farts in another characters face I'm sure that also influences how the audience perceives that character.
I still don't think that'd be noteworthy character development.
Not to mention that the "relationship" between Sora and Kairi is pretty much a joke (not as much as the Riku-Kairi-relationship, but still).

Again, I’m not saying that Nomura did a good job on Kairi's character development, I’m just saying that she has development. Just minimal development. There’s no way in arguing against that objectively. No character development means that we know "nothing" about the character outside appearances, and clearly, that's not the case for Kairi.

Well, a few posts up, I said she has "no relevant development" and you stated that that is "FAR" from the truth, which is a whole different thing than "minimal development".

Luxu

Awards
Kairi has no development...at all.

Hell, even Foreteller Ava has more character development than her!
And Kairi as a Princess of Heart, is not made to use a Keyblade. She is made to be one of the few sources of light that the Keyblade is made to protect.
But Kairi really needs more development, and in combat I think her style would be. Slow, and weak hits but her power over light kills basically all Heartless in one hit. While she barely inflects damage onto Nobodies. (Slow and weak because she is still training, and doesn't have the combat skill that Sora or Riku does.)
So basically, weak character becomes one of the strongest. Under the power of Aqua, Mickey, Yen Sid, Riku, and Sora of course.

Sorakh212

Awards
It certainly would have been an interesting revelation to see in BBS but honestly I think you're reading into this too much here.
Aqua already accidentally bestowed her keyblade or powers to Kairi and even if it's possible for one wielder or master to do it for multiple people I still don't see how, when, or why Aqua would have chosen Sora even if by accident...unless she transferred her power into him when she pat him on the head or something but let's be realistic here I mean come on :p Hahaha!

Muke

whatever
Awards
I still don't see how
Ceremony. The topic is about if Aqua would have chosen Sora, she wouldn't have known that the accidentally bestowed her keyblade..
Destiny Islands?
or why Aqua would have chosen Sora even if by accident
Why by accident? Aqua clearly wanted to bestow her Keyblade to either Riku or Sora ("One of you might be special enough")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back