• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura discusses the potential of continuing The World Ends With You series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

During the stage show for The World Ends With You: Final Remix during Tokyo Game Show 2018, Creative Producer and Main Character Designer Tetsuya Nomura provided a message to fans about the future of TWEWY as a series. 

“This release, 11 years later, is entirely thanks to the dedicated fans of ‘The World Ends With You’. Rather than call this a ‘remaster’, I like to think of this version of the game as a ‘new beginning!’ I will be working hard on future development that will make you glad that you supported this game so passionately for so long.”

You can read a more comprehensive summary of the stage show on Nintendo Everything.

Remember to follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts III, The World Ends With Youand all things Kingdom Hearts!

Via Nintendo Everything

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm excited to see where this leads. Do you think TWEWY will make the jump to 3D?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm excited to see where this leads. Do you think TWEWY will make the jump to 3D?

I don't think it will. I think they tried it out with KH3D and the results were...not the best. The game is so cool to play because of its unique art direction and 2D visuals. I'd hate to see them move away from that. If they did go 3D, I'd hope they went for a cel-shaded style.

Xelruna

Aah, so lovely! The nostalgia... I can't believe new content and new fans are coming for such an amazing game. But I'll have to keep replaying it on my DSi until I can get a Switch (weeps)...

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
TWEWY should definitely stick with the 2D visual style, it fits it so well. If anything, I think a Shibuya type setting in the Octopath Traveler style graphics would be AMAZING.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Aah, so lovely! The nostalgia... I can't believe new content and new fans are coming for such an amazing game. But I'll have to keep replaying it on my DSi until I can get a Switch (weeps)...

Holiday sales are coming soon! Keep an eye on Newegg for some coupon deals.

TWEWY should definitely stick with the 2D visual style, it fits it so well. If anything, I think a Shibuya type setting in the Octopath Traveler style graphics would be AMAZING.

I think I would want that too. Not so much the sprite work because I love the hand drawn style of TWEWY, but rather the way they created the depth effect in Octopath Traveller. It created this sharp, beautiful looking game. Thankfully Silicon Studio licenses out their middleware. WoFF used some of their tech and has the same kind of really smooth depth effects going on that create this cool cinematic look.

TWEWY with those kinds of enhancements would be be so good

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm of the opinion that TWEWY is best off as a one-off that doesn't need any sequel (& hoping New Day is just for tying up loose ends instead of sequel-baiting).

Recon

Art of War
Awards
His message is heartwarming. Well phrased. I hope it continues on in a proper sequel with the same magic.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm of the opinion that TWEWY is best off as a one-off that doesn't need any sequel (& hoping New Day is just for tying up loose ends instead of sequel-baiting).

I’m almost 100% certain this very statement contradicts that. I do feel that Neku’s story is over but there is a lot more that could be done with that world.

His message is heartwarming. Well phrased. I hope it continues on in a proper sequel with the same magic.

Nomura’s been passionate about TWEWY since the beginning. I think it is much closer to the kind of projects and stories he wants to work on. He loves fashion on top of that, too. Like I’m certain if he hadn’t gone into game art he would have eventually been working at some company’s brand HQ somewhere in Shibuya or Shinjuku, designing clothes and stuff. His “Dog Street” and “Nomutetsu Suisan” stuff hints well to his desires.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I absolutely adore TWEWY, and liked the treatment of its models (in that they remained faithful to their original, angular designs) in DDD. That being said, within its own universe I would like the continuity of that 2D comic book / graffiti tagged art direction.

Even though I love the game, I don't need a sequel. It had a great ending. There have been so many re-releases with minor tweaks that you have to wonder what it's all for. I don't know why I should be excited for the inclusion of Coco or Hype-chan. However curious I am about any future entries, I'll replay TWEWY because it's a great game, not because it's promoting a sequel within itself. When the time comes Nomura decides to unveil this future development, we'll be here.

11 years, my god..

Last edited:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I think I would want that too. Not so much the sprite work because I love the hand drawn style of TWEWY, but rather the way they created the depth effect in Octopath Traveller. It created this sharp, beautiful looking game. Thankfully Silicon Studio licenses out their middleware. WoFF used some of their tech and has the same kind of really smooth depth effects going on that create this cool cinematic look.

TWEWY with those kinds of enhancements would be be so good

Yes, exactly my thoughts. I wouldn't want sprite graphics either, but just the layering and depth of field. The environments and overall look of Octopath were beautiful, and taking the art style of TWEWY with those added depth effects would be so gorgeous especially on modern hardware.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The World Ends With You is a brand that can center itself on its world, and not necessarily on its characters. There's a lot that can be told between the new dying players, Reapers that test them, and the Angels from the Higher Plane. And since the New Scenario is a sort of test to see whether or not the Underground should continue to exist, with how arrogant gods are portayed in video games at time, I don't doubt this being a feud for all of eternity. And who knows. Maybe TWEWY could be another FINAL FANTASY a la Bravely Default: they become their own subfranchise. TWEWY could also be centered around other cities.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I don't think it will. I think they tried it out with KH3D and the results were...not the best. The game is so cool to play because of its unique art direction and 2D visuals. I'd hate to see them move away from that. If they did go 3D, I'd hope they went for a cel-shaded style.

I thought TWEWY portrayal in Dream Drop Distance was perfect for that game, their 3D models looked faithful to their origins, though that was under the style of Kingdom Hearts.

If they do make a sequel for TWEWY, they may as well stick with the style already implemented. There's no reason to convert the game to 3D if it's going to mess with the formula. They already have the assets of the original game in HD, may as well build a sequel/successor out of that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I thought TWEWY portrayal in Dream Drop Distance was perfect for that game, their 3D models looked faithful to their origins, though that was under the style of Kingdom Hearts.

If they do make a sequel for TWEWY, they may as well stick with the style already implemented. There's no reason to convert the game to 3D if it's going to mess with the formula. They already have the assets of the original game in HD, may as well build a sequel/successor out of that.

Shiki.png

Idk...Those proportions make no sense.

The rest were fine, but I think Skiki always struck me as just really off, which then lowered my opinion of the rest of the models.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
why is shiki's torso the same width as her legs

That's literally the only one common problem in their DDD models, imo. But it's such a visual discomfort-inducing problem, that it makes the model as a whole look worse than it actually is. Neku's waist, Shiki's waist, Joshua's waist, but especially Shiki's - their waistlines are so short that it's almost nightmare fuel. In 2D, while still very small, Shiki's waist seems alright in that specific cool artstyle. But in 3D, maintaining that kind of waist... It makes you really, really worry for Shiki's health.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
That's literally the only one common problem in their DDD models, imo. But it's such a visual discomfort-inducing problem, that it makes the model as a whole look worse than it actually is. Neku's waist, Shiki's waist, Joshua's waist, but especially Shiki's - their waistlines are so short that it's almost nightmare fuel. In 2D, while still very small, Shiki's waist seems alright in that specific cool artstyle. But in 3D, maintaining that kind of waist... It makes you really, really worry for Shiki's health.

Its similar to how, to some people, anime characters are very attractive. But if you were to take anime style proportions and anatomy and translate that into our world, it looks terrifying. Jump Force proves that. That game manages to mostly maintain the anime look while still giving a realistic look to everything, but its right on the edge of HOLY SHIT THAT IS NOT MEANT TO LOOK REALISTIC.

Eyes the size of dinner plates only look good in a 2D cel-shaded universe.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

Yup, that one moment in DDD when they are all spinning on the white screen... man that was unsettling. (And I thought Sora's hands being two times Kairi's waist in KH II was the worst)
But no, that's a One Piece waist right there.
But like you said, most of these characters come from a 2D style where it was less jarring to look at.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I'm probably one of the few who didn't mind the models, because of how true they were to the original style. If you didn't have a problem with them in 2D, you weren't looking hard enough, because she is impossibly thin in that game too. She's still a cartoon regardless of a 3D model. That's not to say I think this is an acceptable beauty standard or anything like that. On a whole other level, Shiki has the misfortune of still being represented as Eri, so we are still seeing her walk around with this baggage spurred on by petty jealousy / body image issues. It should only really be of concern, if someone desires her figure (a la Hayden & KHII!Kairi). Still giggling over my mom complimenting Shiki's boots tho~

They were consistent with the styling of the remaining models. Joshua, for example, retains the angular, starchy look of his button-down rather than having his clothing drape on him like a natural fabric would. His hair is has precisely-placed, pomade-fixed protrusions, practically puncturing Sora and Riku.

A majority of the Disney princesses' waists are impossibly rail thin (seriously, Ariel looks like she's wearing an invisible corset trainer), but they aren't discussed as they aren't as stark as what we see with Shiki. Not to mention other parts are consistently warped to maintain style. A vast majority of the characters have huge eyes, heads, hands, feet. So, I'm going to let this slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back