• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Looking For KH Ultimania Books

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Hey folks, I'm here looking for some information that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with.
I really want to get my hands on a copy of a Kingdom Hearts Ultimania book or perhaps an artbook, but not quite sure what direction to turn, both in terms of which book and where I could buy it.

My main interest is in art reference. I'm an artist and like to have physical references to examine.
I am also very interested in early rough artwork such as this:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

So what I'm asking is:
A) Which book is best for these materials (quantity, larger print size)?
B) Is it still available without a significant price markup, and if so where?

If anyone can help me, it would be very much appreciated. :)

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
You've come to a dark place my friend, there are only two real Kingdom Hearts artbooks: the Visual Arts Collection, that was released shortly after the first game and doesn't contain much raw concept art work, and Shiro Amano Artworks, which you might not care for.

This particular piece you linked above is from the Kingdom Hearts Series Ultimania Alpha, which (like every other Ultimania) only includes a very small section of artwork. The Ultimanias itself are only A5 (double postcard) large and fit 3-4 images like this on one page. The only exception is the Kingdom Hearts Series Memorial Ultimania, which is like 1.5 the size of a normal Ultimania and includes more art pieces than usual, but again, not much rough art work like this.

To summarize: The largest and best looking artbook is still the Visual Art Collection, but it doesn't include a single page of what you're looking for. The Ultimanias aren't artbooks (too small, printing quality is not that good, not enough pages with art) and only the Series Ultimania Alpha contains seven pages of these rough sketches you'd want.

Since another chance to get us a good artbook was passed for the collector's edition of KHIII (probably in favor of that stupid pin) we can only hope that Dark Horse or some other company will deliver a more substantial volume during this decade or the next.

Awards
Okay, wow, very informative. Thank you.

I might take a look at Ultimania Alpha, despite size and lack of other art, since these rough sketches are very interesting to me and it'd be nice to have a physical reference.

The Visual Art Collection is a nice piece too (thanks for the link to those scans). I do really like the world art and always enjoy Nomura's illustrations.

A third party publication would be great, but you never know when or if that could happen. Still, I'll hold out hope.

One more thing, are the Ultimanias (specifically Alpha, I suppose) only printed in Japanese, or did they get English publications too? Not a huge deal if they didn't, but it would be a nice bonus.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
So far no KH Ultimania was released in English, usually they stay Japanese only. I think some of the Final Fantasy Ultimanias were translated by Dark Horse, but this is not the norm. Maybe the KH3 Ultimania will be translated but I think chances are slim.

Loveless86

Awards
Hey folks, I'm here looking for some information that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with.
I really want to get my hands on a copy of a Kingdom Hearts Ultimania book or perhaps an artbook, but not quite sure what direction to turn, both in terms of which book and where I could buy it.

My main interest is in art reference. I'm an artist and like to have physical references to examine.
I am also very interested in early rough artwork such as this:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

So what I'm asking is:
A) Which book is best for these materials (quantity, larger print size)?
B) Is it still available without a significant price markup, and if so where?

If anyone can help me, it would be very much appreciated. :)

Hi, the book you're looking for is kingdom hearts 2 alpha Ultimania it has the artwork your looking for but not that much it's good book but I recommend kingdom hearts memorial ultimania that has alot art reference in there but not all of the artworks are in there i'm afraid I think about 4 or more never made it in to the book, but it should keep you busy for a while until kh3 ultimania is released you can find both books on ebay or any of Japanese book stores online sometimes using proxy services or just type the name of the book when you go online I hope this helps. I know how you feel i like to have the physical artworks or the artbook reference's to help me with my art.

Awards
I recommend kingdom hearts memorial ultimania that has alot art reference in there but not all of the artworks are in there i'm afraid I think about 4 or more never made it in to the book, but it should keep you busy for a while until kh3 ultimania is released

Thank you for your input! I'll check that one out too. :)

Loveless86

Awards
Sure no problem, I can recommend kingdom hearts birth by sleep Ultimania and kingdom hearts 're coded ultimania if want the storyboards aswell.

Back