• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 3 Story Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

allenleonardo

Awards
Well finally posting my opinion about the game and discuss some of the points of the story that I did not like..I fear that this is going to be a huge post.

I loved the game, I am happy with most of it, liked the worlds, most of the characters and their interaction and I dont really care for missing FF characters or smaller original worlds. I also dont get the feeling of a rushed story or bad pacing. (Of course that is all subjective anyway) I replayed and finished KH 1 FM before and after finishing KH3 and honestly the Disney worlds in 1 also had barely any relevance and most of the plot was happening at the end. IMO KH3 did this better because we got cutscenes between the worlds and eachworld had in some way some meaning. Even the small Acre Woods showed us that being nearly norted had affected Sora in some way.

For me this game as whole is 9/10.

But of course not everything was fine for me:

-Kairi and her involvement in the game + the Paopu scene
-No friendship between Kairi and Riku, Destiny trio does not feel like a trio at all
-Threatment of Sora in some scenes

Kairi and her involvement in the game

First I have to be honest, I never really felt much for her as a person and her friendship/relationship with Sora and would not have cared if she had stayed death. Still I can understand that fans of her might have wanted more and honestly with her being a keyblade wielder and a PoH,she should have done way more.

Her actions in a lot of games were mostly just helping in a passive way. In KH1 she kinda had the most character imo because we did get to know her a bit before everything went bad and we got some scenes in the game with her. It was already a bit bad that they have hinted at a possible romance between her and Sora because imo I found them too young for this and I also did not know them enough to care that much. Yet at the end her PoH saved Sora but unlike Sora whoa ctively choose to kill himself with the keyblade to free her, her help was something that her power did on her own and was not an active decision by her. Still it was at least good that she tried to shield Sora from the heartless. KH2 she at least ran away but still was captured, her actions with Namine could be a bit active but her saving the boys from the realm of darkness with her letter was purely passive again and honestly not that greatly explained either..why can she do something like that?

Then she gets training to fight with the keyblade and on top of that somehow still has the PoH even though she also used it in KH1 to restore Sora but seemingly thats not the same as using it to hold back the darkness...thus she should have been quite powerful because she had the deus ex machina PoH power and a keyblade and on top of that was training at a place where time does not matter. So why was she still that useless? Why was she even allowed to fight? Did YenSid ever do some final test to see if they were ready? I am not saying that she cant fight, but her help in the final battle again was just her using the PoH in a passive way. We did not see her using it on purpose...all she did was pray that Sora was fine and her powers did their thing on their own again. (And according to the sleeping realm theory in the JP language there are hints that it was Kairi and Riku that helped Sora, not her alone) This is the problem with her, especially when she is kidnapped again afterwards. She somehow can hold Soras form together without really doing anything but when she is crapped in a fight she never uses them? No ball of light or simply using her power on instinct with Xemnas? Just her being like "Sora help" again, after her promise that she would protect him? (And no, passive protection is not something that I count, that is simply something she always had done) And lets not forget that she completely froze at the beginning of the fight too and Axel and Sora had to jump in to protect her (both of them with their lives on line) because she was somehow not even able to summon her keyblade and at least try to shield herself.

These scenes could have easily been changed. All you had to do was her shielding herself from Terranort but still being defeated because he is way stronger than her, thus Goofy jumps into the line to block the next attack and Donalds finishes him with the awesome Zettaflare. Then we could have her, wanting to stay with Aqua and the rest to fight the enemies but they say that she should protect a hurt Axel. Later we could have a little scene with her actively using her powers to save Sora and then use that as a way to explain that she was too exhausted to do much against Xemnas but still try to have her struggle a bit. She would not have done much more but at least be a bit more active.

Next was the Paopu Scene:

All the scenes before that had something to do with the trios and their missing members. All of it was about friends. Then we get the oldest of the trios and yet they are the only ones that (even though they are together) dont get a nice sweet scene together. Why not have all three of them share a fruit? The scene felt wrong and according to an interview with Soras JP VA it was also not meant to be romantic..which now that I know the information makes this atleast a bit better. Sora says at the end of the game that Kairi and him barely can stay together before they are apart again. Yet when he finally gets the chance to just be with her, he is just confused and a bit disappointed that Riku sits away from them. (Why have Riku in that scene at all?) Kairi explains why but he still seems unsure and then suddenly there are the fruits and even then Kairi still needs to say that she just wants them to share it with him because he wants to be part of his life because a war is happening tomorrow, ending it even with a "thats all". That does not sound like something romantic and Sora being not that happy until she states that kinda points to that too. I honestly would have liked to not have that scene and get a trio scene instead. (But more about the trio later)

Then the last one about Kairi is her and Soras friendship/relationship:

In all the other games we had hints about both their feelings. Sadly they already hinted at this from the very start and Sora even went that far to kill himself to free her heart. (But honestly, I believe that he would have done it for other people he cared for too) In KH2 he is flustered and imagine her dancing with him. Also a lot of people like to point out, how his memories of her are his most important ones..(Has Sora himself ever stated that? Other than calling her his Light?) Yet the games also started to show more and more that somehow this is not true. She is his most important person,yet the on-screen chemistry with Donald, Goofy and Riku are much better. He is an equal to Riku and both are going to the limit to protect each other (while Kairi is still something he sees as someone that needs protection). And its even worse in KH3. He sees Riku alot, yet he seemingly also misses him more than her. He is disappointed that its not him on the phone, he wants to tell him about the world, he even have loading screens where he mentions Riku.There is no such thing for Kairi, the one that is at least as important to him as Riku is and maybe even more..no question if he can bring her the clothes, no question to Merlin or Yen Sid how her training is going on, no fear that she might get hurt in the fight against he strongest keyblade wielder..not even a hint in the loading screen. On top of that we have enough romantic couples in the Disneyworlds too yet no mention or hint for his feeling for Kairi. He doesnot say that he wants to dance with her or watch the floating lanterns with her. It is Donald that mentions Daisy and yet no mention of Kairi. This is the same Sora that can see the romance in Frozen and that also thinks about Riku in that world. So any romance in this game feels completely one sided because only Kairi seems to deeply(on screen) care about Sora outside of the final battle. She writes letters to him, talks about him with Axel and any romantic scene was started by her. She had the fruits, she took his hands when they were flying towards the Light and seemingly she also only wanted him to be save even though all of her friends including Riku and Axel where in danger against the heartless tornado..while Sora at least was sad about all his friends being taken. This way even their friendship feels so much more shallow against his friendship with Donald, Goofy and Riku. I honestly have still no glue why they even like each other that much and unlike the friendship with the rest, theirs also dont feel realistic at all. (No conflict between them...while at least Donald and Sora do argue, and the fallout between Riku and Sora was huge in KH1 which only served to make their friendship even stronger..)

Honestly I really hope that in future games they try to give Kairi a bit more personality outside of "OMG Sora" and maybe start showing us why they are such good friends before they even go in any directions with them maybe being in love..

No friendship between Kairi and Riku, Destiny trio does not feel like a trio at all

This is imo really sad because at least in KH1 you could get the feeling that these three are friends and care deeply for each other. Heck this went even that far that the other kids on the island saw more chances in Riku and Kairi as a couple than her and Sora thus the two of them must have cared at least some deal for each other to paint that picture. Kairi also stated that she wont leave Hollow Bastion without both of them and was hoping that Riku could be saved. In KH2 she also was the one that showed Sora that it was Riku and Riku himself gave her a keyblade. Yet in 3 they have not spoken to each other at all and did not even get a trio scene at all. Rikus reaction to her death was also a bit strange. Maybe a bit more rage in his yell would have showed that he cared that one of his childhood friends had just been murdered in front of is eyes..imagine if this had been Sora instead of Kairi, would he have stayed that way too? I doubt it. I really wonder why Nomura focused more on Riku-Sora and a bit of Sora-Kairi instead of showing them as a trio of friends? We can see it with Sora, Donald and Goofy and all the other trios that he is able to write them.

Threatmentof Sora in some scenes

I really loved the friendship and banter between SDG in this game, for me they are the best trio and have the most realistic friendship next to SoraRiku. They can be angry with each other, but also deeply care,they can make jokes about each other without destroying their friendship. Yet there are a few scenes where it was too much and it was turning more into bullying than fun banter. Anytime the king was involved or seen they somehow overdid it. Teasing Sora when the three of them are alone? Thats fine. Pushing his head violently back or shoving him out of the way and not let him talk at all when they see their king? Not fine. Even worse that the king and Riku never said anything in Soras defence. There is a difference between laughing with someone or at someone and Soras reaction showed that he did not like it at all. Also making it clear towards Aqua that Sora is not amaster and then to talk behind his back (which he did hear once) is not nice. I watched a streamer after finishing the game myself and he said "Maybe this is when Sora will turn to Darkness." The statement was not meant to be completely serious but still I would have understood Sora if he himself would have lashed out at some point because these were too much. I am not really sure why Nomura included them...maybe it was his way of "punishing" Sora since he seemingly cared more for the bad guy then him and could not relate to him anymore..anyway thankfully this only happened a few times in the game and the rest of their friendship banter made up for it but still was imo not necessary.

(And I felt a bit more pleased when Sora was the one at the end to save them all. Show it to them Sora!)

Well finished with my wall of text. Other than these points I really enjoyed the game and seeing my score those are still minor points.

Last edited:

kaseykockroach

Awards
Anyone else like to skip most cutscenes in KH games and make up their own context?
Queen Aqua is being held captive by Master Xehanort, and he's gonna force her to marry him! What a cad! Only her boyfriend can rescue her, but Xehanort put him under a sleeping spell. Sora, Donald, Goofy, you three must journey forth and acquire magical coffee beans scattered throughout the worlds. Only when all of them are found and ground up in a liquid, can this drink be used to awaken Ven! According to this ancient map, the magical coffee beans are located in a toy store, a tower where a long-haired princess resides, a snowy mountain where a voluptuous queen has isolated herself because she's surprisingly hot for an ice queen, a factory where the sound of children laughing is harvested as a power source, a swashbuckling sea paradise, and a modern metropolis. Good luck! Xehanort's hired goons will try to impede your progress every step of the way, along with his nephew in the toy store.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
While I'm not exactly happy with how Kairi was taken out early in the battle with Saïx, I did like how they handled Roxas' return. There was also something I caught on to on a repeat watch of that scene which I thought was a very neat touch.

As we know, during the scene where Xion is swinging at Sora guarding with his Keyblade, Sora tells her that she can stop. But when we hear him say her name, it's not Sora's voice we hear, but Roxas speaking through Sora. It's more noticeable in the Japanese original due to Uchiyama's deeper voice, but I believe this was carried over into the English version too.

I think that was a neat idea with a good execution, even if it was for a small moment. Well played, Nomura, well played indeed.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It was nice seeing Ansem SoD of all people chew him out for his treatment of Roxas, Namine, and Subject X.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
The "Light from the past" scene was so epic, definitely one of my favourite moments in the entire series. The music is pretty fantastic, too.
It's indeed an awesome scene, but at the same time I wished Kairi "Princess of Heart" title played a role there.

kaseykockroach

Awards
"They'll be okay, they're strong!"
Uh, Goofy, either you've been watching Anna and Elsa do aerobics, or you're full of it. What the heck did he mean by that? Strong at heart? Maybe? But he flexes his arm as a gesture to imply Elsa is strong in terms of muscles? Not that I have anything against the idea of Elsa working out, of course.

allenleonardo

Awards
"They'll be okay, they're strong!"
Uh, Goofy, either you've been watching Anna and Elsa do aerobics, or you're full of it. What the heck did he mean by that? Strong at heart? Maybe? But he flexes his arm as a gesture to imply Elsa is strong in terms of muscles? Not that I have anything against the idea of Elsa working out, of course.

Well Anna is strong by heart and they have found out that both of them are PoH. (Which do have quite the power) They also saw Elsa just one-shot that heartless with her ice, freeze a lake while she walked over it and also know that she has the PoH power.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
A month now since the Ultimania and I'm still bugged about the status given to Ansem, Xemnas, Vanitas, Terranort, and Dark Riku.

They all came from the past (and listed as such) yet unlike with Young Xehanort it doesn't say they went back to the past after their defeats like they're supposed to. Just...eliminated. That'd imply they didn't go back. So is this an oopsie or is it implying something? I'm leaning toward oopsie but this is Kingdom Hearts after all.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This is something that just occured to me.

The rules of time travel state you need to leave your body behind right? So how were the Foretellers able to take their bodies with them to the present in the epilogue? Are they using replicas?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
This is something that just occured to me.

The rules of time travel state you need to leave your body behind right? So how were the Foretellers able to take their bodies with them to the present in the epilogue? Are they using replicas?
And how there would be no version of them to go to.

I assume it's the other method Darkness mentioned to Maleficent. Which I also assume is the way Lauriam and crew were sent to present time.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
And how there would be no version of them to go to.

I assume it's the other method Darkness mentioned to Maleficent. Which I also assume is the way Lauriam and crew were sent to present time.
There's another time travel method? Guess Xehanort didn't know about it(or Xigbar kept it to himself)

kaseykockroach

Awards
When Evil Riku says in San Fransokyo says “Unlike a certain wizard you know”, I thought all this time he was referring to Donald! Court magician and all. I’m a dope.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Hope this isn't inappropriate bumping already, couldn't think of another thread to use.

Guys, why does this fit like, so much?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Back