• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Specific Points You Were Disappointed In KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't want this to turn into a hate thread, I'm just curious to know at which parts specifically in KH3 were you disappointed (as in it triggered disappointment because you realized that what you expected wasn't there). These were mine, although I still love KH3, it's just that when I was first playing through I was kind of like... huh, why isn't that there?

1. Phil never speaking / no mention of Coliseum (I went back to Olympus just to check for the Coliseum)
  2. Twilight Town Mansion/Clocktower - as soon as I walked up to the mansion door and it's a cutscene that takes you in, then when you exit and realize you can't enter it / when you try to walk up to the clocktower and you get the "leave world" options
  3. Toy Box - when the world logo came up at the end which meant no second visit (this could have been for Olympus, but because I remembered KH2 updating Olympus even after you get the world logo when you cleared its second visit, I was like maybe there could be second visits, but Toy Box basically confirmed there were none)
  4. Kingdom of Corona - when Mother Gothel brims with darkness, I was expecting a fight with her and then we get the giant heartless fight instead, which kind of worried me that we wouldn't be getting Disney character bosses.
  5. Radiant Garden cutscene - it seemed so perfectly set up to transition to controlling Riku in Radiant Garden (the camera panning up to the castle, I was expecting the world logo). When it didn't and it just moved back to the gummi ship, that kinda hurt
  6. 100 Acre Wood - I was really excited to visit Pooh and see what would happen this time around with the pages not being lost and it turned out to be just like 10 minutes.
  7. End of San Fransokyo - it was weird, I don't know if this is just how it always is after you beat San Fransokyo, but you go back to Hiro's Garage and you just get the option to leave the world. I think that was there because once you leave it triggers the "save Aqua" sequence (I had already beat The Caribbean). I was expecting like 2 surprise Disney worlds and this was probably my biggest letdown -- that all the Disney worlds were revealed in the trailers and there were so few. I was OK with everything else, but I was longing for at least 2 more worlds. Something even made me wonder if there were worlds in the gummi ship space that weren't on the map (optional worlds) and I flew around looking for them hoping for something.
  8. Castle Oblivion - There was a part of me that had hoped we would get to explore Castle Oblivion (without losing memories). Like actually see all those rooms that the Organization inhabited while we try to find the room Ven's in. I was expecting that to be Sora's chance to bond with Aqua and learn more about Ven.

Last edited:

kaseykockroach

Awards
Sora didn't just eat the papou fruit in front of Kairi and declare "Yeah, sorry babe, we're through. I met this gal with crazy long hair, and, yeah, I totally dig her. I mean, it's not you, it's.....yeah, okay, fine, it's you. But hey, don't sweat it, I hear Olette's available!".

I was also disappointed with the scene where Donald and Goofy started making out while Sora watches. It wasn't as hot as I hoped it would be.

And lastly, I felt Kairi's death should have had more blood, maybe have her guts spill out all over Sora's face. Just to really sell the drama, you know?

Last edited:

UltimaXOmega

-Basically no original worlds
-No FF characters
-Only 2 Non-Disney Keyblades
-Most Keyblade transformations are copy/pastes
-Nano Gear

drew0512

Awards
100 Acre Wood. It's the only part of the game that felt truly rushed and not what it was supposed to be. I love the artstyle and the direction the story was going, so what we actually got at the end was a massive letdown.

Venitas

I was hoping for more info on the Recusant Sigil and Xehanort's past. I also hoped that the game would feel more conclusive overall. It feels just like the handheld games in terms of plot impact / unanswered questions. It sort of just felt like an advertisement for Union X and whatever the next saga is.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
100 Acre Wood. It's the only part of the game that felt truly rushed and not what it was supposed to be
And yet Nomura claims it was always intentional to be exactly as it is, and was concepted as such early in development

—The 100 Acre Wood is another constant, come to think of it.
Nomura: That's because Pooh is the kind of character who makes you feel safe just by being there (laughs.) Since I knew that the other worlds would take up a lot of production time, I thought from the start that I wanted to make the 100 Acre Wood a place for you to take a breather from the adventure, with a light minigame.

As for me...

Honestly, next to never?

I went into it knowing Twilight Town was smaller so that didn't really bug me (I also didn't really feel the need to walk through areas we've already been through just for the sake of doing so, so... eh). I knew there wasn't a Coliseum which was surprising at first, but I felt Olympus more than delivered on a world so I wasn't really left wanting all that much. I knew RG wasn't playable, but when playing the game I didn't really feel like it needed to be either though. I was a bit disappointed to learn the RG FF gang wasn't in, but I had kind of suspected that might be the case and, again, while actually playing I didn't really feel their absence that much with the story as it was. I actually loved 100 Acre Wood and how it was just a tight little emotional experience. We knew the Disney worlds were all revealed going in so I wasn't like disappointed there either or that there weren't more unknown or whatever. Didn't expect or need CO to be playable and though the sequence where it reforms back into LoD was magical and a good send-off.

Idk! I went into the game knowing most of the big downfall things and during the actual experience of playing it I wasn't disappointed at all, really or left wanting. I suppose there were some sequences I wish had been a bit different or had wished that there were more to them, or such, but at the same time I still find lots to like about the way that they were done. And generally, the game was more positive and had far more highs than it had lows for me.

I'd say the closest is maybe the way the Lea and (especially) Kairi plot threads were treated though.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
And yet Nomura claims it was always intentional to be exactly as it is, and was concepted as such early in development

—The 100 Acre Wood is another constant, come to think of it.
Nomura: That's because Pooh is the kind of character who makes you feel safe just by being there (laughs.) Since I knew that the other worlds would take up a lot of production time, I thought from the start that I wanted to make the 100 Acre Wood a place for you to take a breather from the adventure, with a light minigame.

As for me...

Honestly, next to never?

I went into it knowing Twilight Town was smaller so that didn't really bug me (I also didn't really feel the need to walk through areas we've already been through just for the sake of doing so, so... eh). I knew there wasn't a Coliseum which was surprising at first, but I felt Olympus more than delivered on a world so I wasn't really left wanting all that much. I knew RG wasn't playable, but when playing the game I didn't really feel like it needed to be either though. I was a bit disappointed to learn the RG FF gang wasn't in, but I had kind of suspected that might be the case and, again, while actually playing I didn't really feel their absence that much with the story as it was. I actually loved 100 Acre Wood and how it was just a tight little emotional experience. We knew the Disney worlds were all revealed going in so I wasn't like disappointed there either or that there weren't more unknown or whatever. Didn't expect or need CO to be playable and though the sequence where it reforms back into LoD was magical and a good send-off.

Idk! I went into the game knowing most of the big downfall things and during the actual experience of playing it I wasn't disappointed at all, really or left wanting. I suppose there were some sequences I wish had been a bit different or had wished that there were more to them, or such, but at the same time I still find lots to like about the way that they were done. And generally, the game was more positive and had far more highs than it had lows for me.

I'd say the closest is maybe the way the Lea and (especially) Kairi plot threads were treated though.
I went into the game knowing only what the trailers showed (up to the 100 Acre Wood trailer). So I didn't know that there was no coliseum, Radiant Garden, Final Fantasy, all Disney worlds were revealed etc. I guess it was just stuff I expected to see in the game and then I just kind of felt like... why wasn't it here?

I still loved KH3 and the playthrough on critical is making me enjoy it even more. I was weird and actually wanted to capture my thoughts about the game while playing it, so I recorded myself every night after playing the game and just said what I thought about it and what I was expecting. After Arendelle and Monstropolis I stopped for the day and I noted that I was hoping to see Agrabah/A Bug's Life/Brave (I really thought Brave was in the game because of the Princess of Heart story and the archer heartless).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
1. When the 100 Acre Wood ended after 5-10 minutes.....
2. No Seifer in Twilight Town. Already knew the world was small ahead of time*, but I didn't realize that that trio would be wiped clean, too.

*Most of my anger over disappointments happened the couple of weeks just before release thanks to spoilers rather than in the moment of my first playthrough.

Lisaralin

Awards
I loved KH3, but I was disappointed by some points:

- Dilan and Aeleus not speaking. Seriously? They are the only two original Organization memebers sidelined in a game where EVERYONE has their time to shine. They even didn't get a render in the Ultimania. Major disappointment.

- Phil and Hans not speaking. Hans basically popping out of nowhere as the generic bad guy without a hint of motivation. The Frozen world hasn't been well handled in general.

- Kairi's lack of character development outside being Sora's light and motivation.

- General lack of Naminé, who was heavily sidelined when compared to all the other protagonists.

- Saix's redempion arc happening mostly off screen. I hope the DLC will fix that (I want the conversation between him and Even that is hinted in Vexen's Secret Report!). Basically my two favorite Org members conspired together to betray the others and we didn't get a single scene of that :(

Neo_

Awards
100 Acre Wood is definitely pathetic -- I didn't even like the outlines on the characters, but after beating the game nearly three months ago and not having touched it since, the only thing I'm lefty salty about is the lack of Zurg and Randall fights.

It's odd how 17 years ago they were able to make 100 Acre Wood an actual experience compared to how it is now. KH1 is so much more soulful, charming and contained; that naivety will never be recaptured. I'll always treasure that game.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
100 Acre Wood is definitely pathetic -- I didn't even like the outlines on the characters, but after beating the game nearly three months ago and not having touched it since, the only thing I'm lefty salty about is the lack of Zurg and Randall fights.

It's odd how 17 years ago they were able to make 100 Acre Wood an actual experience compared to how it is now. KH1 is so much more soulful, charming and contained; that naivety will never be recaptured. I'll always treasure that game.
That's what makes me sad, but I'm glad I got to experience it.

Maybe they should move on from 100 Acre Wood and pick something else as the mini-game world?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No Buzz/Zurg fights. You can't just tease Evil Buzz & then have it resolved off-screen.

Literally everything Kairi.

Most of everything with Frozen (& I actually like the film for the record.) We couldn't even get Elsa as a summon?

Rapunzel being removed as a party member. Heck Finn's only in the party for like half the world's story too.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'd be here forever if I listed every disappointment. lol Though making a comprehensive list does sound like fun.

Mood, tbh. Also while it was something requested by the thread I still would feel like I'm unnecessarily ranting.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's late now, and I know how unpleasant I get when I'm sleepy.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
No Buzz/Zurg fights. You can't just tease Evil Buzz & then have it resolved off-screen.

Literally everything Kairi.

Most of everything with Frozen (& I actually like the film for the record.) We couldn't even get Elsa as a summon?

Rapunzel being removed as a party member. Heck Finn's only in the party for like half the world's story too.
I kinda thought it was going to be like KH1 where the final boss had 2 phases. I thought the first phase in Toy Box would have Evil Buzz & Heartless/Young Xehanort (kinda like Sorcerer Jafar/Genie in KH1). So it was weird to see Buzz fixed in a video.

I thought we were going to get Rapunzel with short hair and frying pan. It was weird that Flynn had the frying pan. If they were going to take away Rapunzel from the party, I felt like Flynn should have been removed too.

disney233

Awards
I honestly couldn't care less about the low amount of Disney worlds, as well as the lack of Final Fantasy characters. I could even forget how poorly treated Arendelle and Corona was (Skoll and Guardianess being my favorite Heartless bosses) I was honestly fine with how short 100 Acre Wood was. I even liked the tiny message it left at the end. There were so many things that I loved about KH3. So many niche moments. I thing you'd all see me coming on what was disappointing...

Kairi.

STOP USING HER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE HER. Yeah I was sad when she 'died' but it almost seemed predictable and laughable at best. After her tease in DDD, I was pretty excited on seeing what they would do with Kairi.

They did nothing. PHYSICALLY. And that was what ticked me off. Yes, she saved everyone yay, yeet what freaking ever. I'm still not satisfied that she barely contributed to the fight. Yen Sid's fault for putting Lea and Kairi in a battle they would no doubt lose in. Because they. did. poorly. They needed training. They didn't need to be sent straight into battle.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I honestly couldn't care less about the low amount of Disney worlds, as well as the lack of Final Fantasy characters. I could even forget how poorly treated Arendelle and Corona was (Skoll and Guardianess being my favorite Heartless bosses) I was honestly fine with how short 100 Acre Wood was. I even liked the tiny message it left at the end. There were so many things that I loved about KH3. So many niche moments. I thing you'd all see me coming on what was disappointing...

Kairi.

STOP USING HER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO USE HER. Yeah I was sad when she 'died' but it almost seemed predictable and laughable at best. After her tease in DDD, I was pretty excited on seeing what they would do with Kairi.

They did nothing. PHYSICALLY. And that was what ticked me off. Yes, she saved everyone yay, yeet what freaking ever. I'm still not satisfied that she barely contributed to the fight. Yen Sid's fault for putting Lea and Kairi in a battle they would no doubt lose in. Because they. did. poorly. They needed training. They didn't need to be sent straight into battle.
Well they were in a place where they had all the time they needed to train, so we are to assume that they're as good as they can be.

Speaking of Kairi... I just finished Monstropolis in my Critical playthrough and I feel like they missed the opportunity for Sora and the gang to catch up with Kairi/Lea in Twilight Town when you're summoned back to visit Pooh. In fact, with Arendelle being so protected by Disney, I actually feel like that could have been a plus for Kairi/Lea development. The two of them could have joined Sora and the gang in Arendelle (forget the Marshmellow as a party member), have Frozen play out in front of Sora while Lea/Kairi show off their skills in combat far away from Frozen: KH Edition. After that, they can just be called to Yen Sid's tower for some reason and the game continues.

Veevee

Awards
The lack of consequence of most plot turns. It's not that nothing happens; the problem is rather that it doesn't feel like anything's happening because there are hardly any consequences. Lea's keyblade breaks? No sweat, it's magically repaired in the next scene. Aqua falling to darkness? Don't worry, it's just a delay, nothing more. Larxene just made an ice castle? We have no explanation for that, thus will never bring it up again.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I ranted to my best friend about this yesterday in a hotel lobby and most of what my frustration came down to was essentially what Veevee said. There are no true consequences for anything, no explanations.

Things happen and they have no real emotional payoff. Certainly there were a few good payoffs in the game but most of the time it just felt hollow.

Aqua being forced to fall to the darkness didn’t add anything to her own character development and it certainly added nothing to the overall plot besides helping to resolve fairly self-contained storyline that was of its own design.

If Aqua had fallen of her own accord, either being twisted by her hope or giving into despair like hinted by her mirror self in 0.2, the emotional payoff of saving her would have been waaaaay stronger.

Or let’s look at Saix as the traitor. We always knew he planned on betraying the Organization. It had been mentioned in Days and it was an intriguing storyline that never had any resolution until KH3. We know Saix is working behind the scenes to set things up so the Guardians of Light will have a fighting chance against Xehanort, but we never get to see Saix do these things. We are told about it, which is the worst kind of storytelling. We never get to see what makes Saix go from “jealous and petty” to “jealous but repentant”. All we really get is that Saix decides to do this stuff because of Subject X, which makes no sense considering that was Isa and Lea’s supposed motivation for wanting to betray the Organization the first time. This really shouldn’t have any role in Saix’s betrayal this time around, and yet the game makes it sound like it should just be an obvious thing.

Since Saix never shows what changes between KH2 to now, we are left with just having to accept that Saix actually isn’t a bad guy and he gets to eat ice cream with the cool kidz as Isa now. Also just the fact that he becomes friends with Roxas and Xion...like did he ever apologize for being a colossal asshat?

What sucks is that I love Saix and I always knew he would likely be given a redemption arc, but I don’t like the execution of it.

Back