• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

GBA is better than the remake

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ZinC Podzzz

Awards
I own the original GBA game, and I love the heck out of the thing. I couldn't bring myself to beat the remake as Riku, but with the original, I beat the entire thing. The combat is fun, the GBA sounding music is just the best, and the whole sprite aesthetic that it has on the console give this game its own identity. There isn't another game like it. The worlds are the same in the original and remake, but the remakes feel more soulless; they feel more lazy. I can't really explain why, but they just do. The GBA version has so much charm and character, and the combat was literally made for it. The combat feels out of place in the remake. Like, having only 2 main buttons on the original makes it feel like everything is how its supposed to be, but the remake just makes me want to play the first KH game. Anyone else feel the same?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree 100%. The GBA version remains to be the superior version. The graphics are charming, the gameplay makes more sense in that format, the dialogue feels more natural, the characters are delightful.

Re:CoM is missing a lot of the charm of CoM for these reasons. The game doesn’t work as a 3D game. That isn’t to say I do not appreciate the work that went into the remake because I really think they did a great job for a budgeted project and it was also Osaka’s first really major assignment for KH so I’m sure it means a lot to them and it means a lot to me too. I just don’t love it like I loved CoM.

okhi12

Awards
I love both, but the original CoM will always be special to me, probably because it feels nostalgic. The remake is not bad, I really enjoyed it and I don't think the battle system feels out of place, but the original was simply amazing and addictive and has aged really well, while the remake feels a bit wonky at times.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I do love Shanelle Gray's Larxene -- and having voices for the CoM organization members more generally. But the lip syncing really throws me off and takes me out of the moment.

Also the original translation is darker and makes more sense. There are some odd choices in the remake and I feel like they were made to match the odd mouth movements.

okhi12

Awards
I do love Shanelle Gray's Larxene -- and having voices for the CoM organization members more generally. But the lip syncing really throws me off and takes me out of the moment.

Also the original translation is darker and makes more sense. There are some odd choices in the remake and I feel like they were made to match the odd mouth movements.
Really? I didn't know that. The text in the spanish version of Re:CoM is mostly a straight copy-paste from the original spanish CoM, except for a few scenes that were retranslated. I assumed they did the same to the english version, but if they changed the text in order to keep the lipsync... that explains why sometimes the spanish text of Re:CoM oddly deviates from the english voices, more than in the other games.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I still enjoy re:CoM, but I agree the GBA version is superior by far. I loved the sprites.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Really? I didn't know that. The text in the spanish version of Re:CoM is mostly a straight copy-paste from the original spanish CoM, except for a few scenes that were retranslated. I assumed they did the same to the english version, but if they changed the text in order to keep the lipsync... that explains why sometimes the spanish text of Re:CoM oddly deviates from the english voices, more than in the other games.

The translation was completely different in the GBA version. It was a very darker game, but also used more laymen's terms like KH1 did.

ZinC Podzzz

Awards
I agree 100%. The GBA version remains to be the superior version. The graphics are charming, the gameplay makes more sense in that format, the dialogue feels more natural, the characters are delightful.

Re:CoM is missing a lot of the charm of CoM for these reasons. The game doesn’t work as a 3D game. That isn’t to say I do not appreciate the work that went into the remake because I really think they did a great job for a budgeted project and it was also Osaka’s first really major assignment for KH so I’m sure it means a lot to them and it means a lot to me too. I just don’t love it like I loved CoM.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. I did bash the remake a little harshly, I do appreciate the effort to get the game to more people. And without it, we wouldn’t have the great cutscenes with the Organization members!

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I just feel like the combat system was made for the GBA. CoM is an amazing game and I played that so many times on the GBA. I had to force myself through the PS2 version of reCOM because I really wanted to hear the Organization members' voices. I remember being SO disappointed when all the worlds were text boxes and no voice acting, it made the game feel so empty... and it didn't even compliment the vibe that CoM had on the GBA of that same emptiness/loneliness, instead it just made it glaringly obvious that reCOM was lacking a lot and that the game as a whole was not meant for a home console. I am thankful that they gifted us with it and the option to play it on a home console.

Also... I will always love CoM in general for getting my hopes up for KH2 going in a darker/more mature direction (Axel saying hell for example).

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
CoM is actually my favorite in the series (as a whole game). I'm playing it emulated right now. I also have 2 copies, English and Japanese. The Japanese box is smaller, which struck me as odd, but makes sense. I prefer "Commit it to memory" over "Got it memorized?"

When I first played Re:CoM, it was on PS2. After losing to Riku 4 times, I was done. I have no intention to play the remake either. It's not good.

Back