• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Perkilator

Awards
The next Smash game (if there is one, because Sakurai should at least take a break first) should focus more on quality then quantity with its roster, and focus more on other content like new stages, modes, etc.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
SSBU's roster is too damn big. I spend like a minute just trying to find the character I want on the select screen. Not helped by how everything shuffles & resizes with each new unlock/DLC. some characters I tend to forget are even in this game becuse there's so many to keep track of. *coughGreninjacough*

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Pokemon Sword and Shield are much better than critics are saying it is, and personally the most fun I've had playing a Pokemon game since Black/White. National Dex and old Pokemon aren't necessary to enjoy a Pokemon game.

Also Charizard is overrated by the entire freakin' fanbase. Seriously, I'd want him scrapped if it meant I could get any other single Pokemon of my choosing to replace him.

D

Deleted member 252753

National Dex and old Pokemon aren't necessary to enjoy a Pokemon game.

I totally agree and would add that for some people, like me, the National Dex has made the games less appealing.

I didn't play main Pokémon game after Crystal for various reasons but partly because that I knew that to have every Pokémon I would have to trade between so many games and use storage systems and that doesn't sound fun to me and it also sounds potentially expensive to actually complete the Pokédex.

Last year I did pick up Ultra Moon and I enjoyed it but I knew I never would have every Pokémon and so
didn't feel so strongly motivated to even catch all the Pokémon I could in the game and so didn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

And I really liked how in Pokémon Let's Go I actually could complete the Pokédex (save Mew) quite simply with just Pokémon Go. I personally am glad they limited the Pokédex to just Pokémon you can actually obtain in the two games for Sword and Shield. For me, that's more in the spirit of 'Gotta catch 'em all' than moving hundreds of Pokémon between various platforms.

Perkilator

Awards
Real talk, I never understood why both of Capcom’s Capcom vs. SNK games limited their rosters to characters from Street Fighter and King Of Fighters. We could‘ve has the same level of franchise diversity that even Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite had with Capcom side of the roster that it shamelessly copy-and-pasted. We could’ve had characters like:

-Mega Man
-Jill Valentine
-Captain Commando
-Strider Hiryu
-Edward Falcon

going up against characters like:

-Rock Howard
-Marco Rossi
-Galford

and several more.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
I totally agree and would add that for some people, like me, the National Dex has made the games less appealing.

I didn't play main Pokémon game after Crystal for various reasons but partly because that I knew that to have every Pokémon I would have to trade between so many games and use storage systems and that doesn't sound fun to me and it also sounds potentially expensive to actually complete the Pokédex.

Last year I did pick up Ultra Moon and I enjoyed it but I knew I never would have every Pokémon and so
didn't feel so strongly motivated to even catch all the Pokémon I could in the game and so didn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

And I really liked how in Pokémon Let's Go I actually could complete the Pokédex (save Mew) quite simply with just Pokémon Go. I personally am glad they limited the Pokédex to just Pokémon you can actually obtain in the two games for Sword and Shield. For me, that's more in the spirit of 'Gotta catch 'em all' than moving hundreds of Pokémon between various platforms.

The Pokedex in Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is completed in the same fashion as Sword/Shield, though. In S/M/US/UM there is no National Pokedex, there is only a Regional Pokedex to complete. But all Pokemon can still be transferred to the games. That's not true of Sword/Shield, and I can't really see how that benefits you or anyone versus the S/M/US/UM way, TBH. It just means that a lot of us had our favorite Pokemon removed.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
1. Epic Mickey would've been better as a movie than a game. Yeah, it was a game maker who came up with the concept but it never really fully clicked as a game. The platforming was spotty, the shallow attempt at player choices laughably meaningless, lack of a real final boss sucked. The sequel was even worse, half the length, less consequential plot, & is utterly frustrating to play in both single-player & co-op.

Meanwhile, there's never been a Mickey movie. There's been a Goofy movie, The Three Caballeros is basically the Donald movie, but none for Mickey. Obviously, such a film would need the right story to tell & a story with a Meta-narrative about Mickey's origins of being the more successful replacement of Walt's earlier work might just have been it.

2. Also, the premise of Wasteland being a world of "forgotten" Disney characters & rides is rather spotty in its execution. Smee from Peter Pan is a forgotten character? Really? Heck, Clarabelle Cow & Hoarace Horse aren't all that super unknown, plus they were in KH2 4 years prior. Really should've been a policy of the game's development that any character that appeared in KH probably doesn't count as forgotten. Come to think of it, KH2 actually has one up on EM with Clara Cluck, a far more obscure character who isn't in Wasteland.

& the Petes, ugh! What a cop-out they were! Oh, Pete isn't a forgotten character but these alternate versions of him are & they're apparently separate characters from standard Pete....somehow. Well shoot, how many alternate Mickies must there be in that case? Funny how we don't see any of those.

Plus it would've been nice if there was a codex to actually explain the history of everything in this game. Again, something KH does with the journals that list the film of origin & birth year of each character. EM allegedly is so full of references that like the crates & lamp posts are from old Mickey cartoons but that's never explained in-game.

D

Deleted member 252753

The Pokedex in Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is completed in the same fashion as Sword/Shield, though. In S/M/US/UM there is no National Pokedex, there is only a Regional Pokedex to complete. But all Pokemon can still be transferred to the games. That's not true of Sword/Shield, and I can't really see how that benefits you or anyone versus the S/M/US/UM way, TBH. It just means that a lot of us had our favorite Pokemon removed.

I was unaware of there not being a National Pokedex in UM per se so I would agree with you now.

Veevee

Awards
People overrate the value of hard games. Whenever I tell people that I'm not really into hard games (like Cuphead, Super Meat Boy, Sekiro, whatever), they look at me with awe and shock because how can a gamer dislike a challenge? Well, I don't have that much free time on my hands anymore and hate getting needlessly frustrated, so I don't get why people ponder on the enjoyment and thrill of hard games. Great for people who like that, but don't shame people if they don't.

D

Deleted member 252753

People overrate the value of hard games. Whenever I tell people that I'm not really into hard games (like Cuphead, Super Meat Boy, Sekiro, whatever), they look at me with awe and shock because how can a gamer dislike a challenge? Well, I don't have that much free time on my hands anymore and hate getting needlessly frustrated, so I don't get why people ponder on the enjoyment and thrill of hard games. Great for people who like that, but don't shame people if they don't.

I agree with this a lot. Often when I play games I want to de-stress and having to redo something over and over to progress does the opposite.

I find it particularly annoying when I really like the story of a game but a boss/section is so hard that I get frustrated and lose interest in the narrative.

A sort of example is the secret movie in KH2FM. I really wanted to unlock the full secret movie but I found all the tasks so difficult that I only managed to defeat the Lingering Will (after hours of trying) and only 2 or 3 data battles and Mushrooms each.

I really wanted to unlock the movie because it felt like part of the story but I just got so upset with how much I sucked at the data battles and mushroom challenges that I gave up.

So I guess in general I would say that plot content shouldn't be hidden behind overly difficult challenges in story driven games.

Neo_

Awards
Exactly 100% (except I got Cuphead on two different consoles since I love it aesthetically). I got Jedi: Fallen Order recently and bounced the difficulty down to Easy for the reasons you cited; I'll save the challenge for online where I have to outsmart an actual human and not a robot.

brittanymarshel

I haven’t played the game (nor the original) but NNK2 did pique my interest at one point.

The game got 8’s and 9’s across the board. I was going through Easy Allies reviews and they gave this a 9.5. But when regular gamers talk about it I hardly EVER see a remotely good opinion about it. The best I can find is “it’s okay.”

I just find it..... strange. Def scared me off from ever trying it though!

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
Exactly 100% (except I got Cuphead on two different consoles since I love it aesthetically).

When I first heard of Cuphead I didn't even hear of its difficulty, I just heard of it's really unique and well-executed style.

Once I heard it was so difficult and saw elitists arguing that it has to be difficult or it completely loses its identity I was completely perplexed. I thought Cuphead's appeal would be more with its unique artstyle? It certainly caught my interest, but the fact that it is supposedly prohibitively hard to play turned me off from it in the end.

I find that sad. Why should a beautiful game with such a unique artstyle be locked behind such a difficulty?

There are lots of things I have a qualm with the gaming community about, this claim that games have to be hard to be fun and that games that are hard completely lose their value with optional easier modes is one of them. It's just a part of a larger problem that the gaming community as a whole has that is put most simply as "If you don't play my way, you're wrong". Such childishness.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I have a very unpopular game opinion. And it involves Pokemon. Today many people are tired of the same old Gym Leader routine. Beat the Gym Leader become the Pokemon League Champion. For me, I was sick of this formula by Gen 4. I love many of the future Gym Leaders, I was just sick of the formula and I grew bored of it long before getting tired of the Pokemon formula became more common.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I have a very unpopular game opinion. And it involves Pokemon. Today many people are tired of the same old Gym Leader routine. Beat the Gym Leader become the Pokemon League Champion. For me, I was sick of this formula by Gen 4. I love many of the future Gym Leaders, I was just sick of the formula and I grew bored of it long before getting tired of the Pokemon formula became more common.
What's ironic about this is that the generation that they changed it up (Sun/Moon with island challenges and Kahuna's) caused a huge chunk of the playerbase to complain and beg for the Gym Challenge to be back (which it is is Sword and Shield.)

I'm of the opinion that the entire idea of Community in video game culture has become far too toxic and selfish, and in order for me to actually enjoy things that I like (Pokemon Sword/Shield, Kingdom Hearts 3, the new Star Wars movies), I have to basically act selfishly myself and ignore the voices of said community entirely. I can't even talk to my family about the new Star Wars movies because they hate them so much. They aren't perfect but the prequels weren't any better.

It saddens me because I want to enjoy things with others but the 90s nerds who played video games have become the very bullies who used to bully them. Game culture has become mainstream and thus far more heavily opinionated. I'd almost prefer if games were still considered a nerdy or geeky thing and the mainstream appeal had never come to pass...

SweetYetSalty

Awards
What's ironic about this is that the generation that they changed it up (Sun/Moon with island challenges and Kahuna's) caused a huge chunk of the playerbase to complain and beg for the Gym Challenge to be back (which it is is Sword and Shield.)

I'm of the opinion that the entire idea of Community in video game culture has become far too toxic and selfish, and in order for me to actually enjoy things that I like (Pokemon Sword/Shield, Kingdom Hearts 3, the new Star Wars movies), I have to basically act selfishly myself and ignore the voices of said community entirely. I can't even talk to my family about the new Star Wars movies because they hate them so much. They aren't perfect but the prequels weren't any better.

It saddens me because I want to enjoy things with others but the 90s nerds who played video games have become the very bullies who used to bully them. Game culture has become mainstream and thus far more heavily opinionated. I'd almost prefer if games were still considered a nerdy or geeky thing and the mainstream appeal had never come to pass...
Sadly all fanbases have toxicity. If I was a movie director I would never want to work on a Star Wars project. It's just not worth it for the backlash you'd get. And that's interesting I didn't know there was complaining about lack of gyms in the last games. I didn't even know gyms were absent. I missed Sun and Moon's era.

disney233

Awards
Oliver-Ni-No-Kuni-by_xeno_hunterx (1).jpg

Unpopular opinion, but I would definitely be in favor of this dude being in Smash. Ni No Kuni is...such a beautiful game with very memorable songs, maps, bosses and characters (I can't say much about NNKN 2 since I never played or watched anything from it, thus far.) But...it just feels so...underrated for me. I'm all for Sora for Smash, but this is an unpopular opinion because Ni No Kuni seems so...underrated and it hurts me especially when it has so many things coming for it; the Switch, Ni No Kuni 2, An actual movie, all of that and it just seems like the game talked about the least.

Neo_

Awards
When I first heard of Cuphead I didn't even hear of its difficulty, I just heard of it's really unique and well-executed style.

Once I heard it was so difficult and saw elitists arguing that it has to be difficult or it completely loses its identity I was completely perplexed. I thought Cuphead's appeal would be more with its unique artstyle? It certainly caught my interest, but the fact that it is supposedly prohibitively hard to play turned me off from it in the end.

I find that sad. Why should a beautiful game with such a unique artstyle be locked behind such a difficulty?
Brilliantly said.

Back