• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Interesting things in the manga and novels

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I'm about to finish the first KH Novel and I'm really enjoying it. Like SweetYetSalty said the added context to the story is quite nice. Also the first novel really streamlined things in a good way.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I went to my local Books-A-Million and purchased the two KHII novels. They told me I could get a extra one free and so I got the Dream Drop Distance novel too! Three new KH novels to read! I'm so excited to see what extra content I'll get from these. I know what I'll be doing while waiting for ReMind :D

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I really like the novels interpretation of Riku and Sora way more, especially Riku.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I finished the two volumes of the KHII novel. They were quite insightful. They changed quite a bit from the KH2 games. Some for the better and some for the worse. But it got rid of all the filler while keeping the best KH2 worlds in the book (minus 100 Acre Woods. I missed it) but I was very impressed with the read. I actually complain a lot about KH2's story in the unpopular opinion thread, and this novel answered quite a few complaints I had in the game. A really big one in fact that has changed my outlook on one character all together.

The character is Namine. Gamewise I've never been that impressed with Namine's character past COM, the novel not only fleshed out Namine, but she's like the heart and soul of KH2 now, even more so then my boi Roxas! We get her inner thoughts as she's the voice of the Nobodies, we see her having wants and desires beyond just helping Sora/Roxas, they actually set up her helping from the shadows and it doesn't feel like the deus ex machina the games portray it as. Novel Namine is the GOAT of KH2. I actually got sad when it was time for her to go away, I wanted more of her. Screw the Somebodies! Her unofficial trio with Riku and Axel was also sweet. See Namine has a trio, all you haters out there XD. Are the novels semi-canon? Because I want to think of all the things Namine did as canon, because I love Novel Namine. I could be here forever gushes over her role. Sadly the same cannot be said for her Somebody Kairi. I foolishly thought Novel Kairi would be like the amazing Manga Kairi...not even close.

The Disney worlds were abridged, sometimes it worked for me (Port Royal) other times it didn't (Olympus). Sora, Riku, and Axel were also really well done, because these are books we can dive into their inner thoughts and feelings and this really fleshed out these guys. If only Kairi had gotten the same treatment. And they had a interesting subplot with Namine's unofficial trio that was delightful.

Battles were so short in this, but I expected that. Still I wish Demyx, Xaldin, and Xigbar got to keep their iconic battle phrases. Just wasn't the same without them.

Overall I enjoyed my KHII novel read. In many ways I find the storytelling of the main plot vastly superior to the KH2 game. Next I wanted to read the DDD novel since I have it, but before I do I think I'm going to hunt down the COM novel first. Because I want more GOAT Namine to read.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The character is Namine. Gamewise I've never been that impressed with Namine's character past COM, the novel not only fleshed out Namine, but she's like the heart and soul of KH2 now, even more so then my boi Roxas! We get her inner thoughts as she's the voice of the Nobodies, we see her having wants and desires beyond just helping Sora/Roxas, they actually set up her helping from the shadows and it doesn't feel like the deus ex machina the games portray it as. Novel Namine is the GOAT of KH2. I actually got sad when it was time for her to go away, I wanted more of her. Screw the Somebodies! Her unofficial trio with Riku and Axel was also sweet. See Namine has a trio, all you haters out there XD. Are the novels semi-canon? Because I want to think of all the things Namine did as canon, because I love Novel Namine. I could be here forever gushes over her role. Sadly the same cannot be said for her Somebody Kairi. I foolishly thought Novel Kairi would be like the amazing Manga Kairi...not even close.

Novels are considered in the community as third-tier canon, behind the games (Tier 1) and supplementary materials like interviews and official commentary (Tier 2). If something presented in the novels doesn't contradict the upper tiers, then it's treated as legit.

The reason for this is because the novelist Tomoco Kanemaki works closely with Nomura during the writing process and sometimes receives additional info from him that isn't mentioned in the games. However, while this fact is well known, I don't think Nomura has really commented on it, or at least I don't remember him doing so.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Novels are considered in the community as third-tier canon, behind the games (Tier 1) and supplementary materials like interviews and official commentary (Tier 2). If something presented in the novels doesn't contradict the upper tiers, then it's treated as legit.

The reason for this is because the novelist Tomoco Kanemaki works closely with Nomura during the writing process and sometimes receives additional info from him that isn't mentioned in the games. However, while this fact is well known, I don't think Nomura has really commented on it, or at least I don't remember him doing so.
I see. These are very interesting. I could see that some things from the games were changed like Olympus for example so that wouldn't be canon obviously. But thankfully a majority of Namine's stuff didn't contradict the plot so that is good.

I heard KH3 had a novel being worked on like the manga, any chance it'll get released here anytime soon?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I see. These are very interesting. I could see that some things from the games were changed like Olympus for example so that wouldn't be canon obviously. But thankfully a majority of Namine's stuff didn't contradict the plot so that is good.

I heard KH3 had a novel being worked on like the manga, any chance it'll get released here anytime soon?

KH3 volume 1 is scheduled to release in the west in February 2020!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I got some much early Christmas gifts. The KH1 and BBS novels. I read and finished the KH1 since it was so short and will start BBS soon. The KH1 novel was a bit different from KH2 and Days' ones. It felt more like a book version of the game and not too much extra content on what other characters were doing/feeling/thinking like KH2 and Days. And yet I feel it worked perfectly for this one. KH1 is the most simple of the series so not much else to really add. Like KH2 it cut some Disney worlds and until now I didn't realize how filler those worlds actually were to the narrative of KH1, still I wish Maleficent had her entire Disney villain court and not just two of them.

Where the novel really shined was with Sora showing his friendships with Kairi and Riku and then Donald and Goofy. I love their Gummi Ship moments and the Deep Jungle plot was done so much better here then in the games imo, because the banter of Sora and his friends was constant even during boss fights and I loved it. They got so creative with these bosses that I wish they kept this going for KH2 and Days novels. Sora and Kairi's relationship felt better in this one then KH2's and balanced with his friendship with Riku. I really like how Jiminy and the FF cast were used with the Ansem Reports, they were all used great, especially big sis Yuffie.

There were some flaws. Once we get passed Neverland, the battles become more like they were in the other novels and kinda rushed. Understandable since they aren't the main focus, but I did like the battle pace established at the start of the book. Also, while I can forgive some exclusions of certain worlds (despite loving two of them), how dare they tease a certain storybook and not have Sora enter to meet a certain stuffed bear?! Unforgivable! And I'm tickled that Days seems to be the only novel with Halloween Town in it. I guess that's the only story where it had something plot relevant actually happen in it XD

Overall I enjoyed the KH1 novel more then I thought I would, as I thought it would just be a boring translation from the game. And while it was mostly a translation it was anything but boring. It was lively, Sora, Donald and Goofy were at their best and I even found myself laughing at their silliness even in dire situations. These novels are such a treat.

I plan to read all the novels before the KH3 ones start coming out. COM and Coded are the only ones I don't have unless there's a Union X Novel somewhere. Still debating if a Coded read will be good. Maybe I'll be surprised?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I plan to read all the novels before the KH3 ones start coming out. COM and Coded are the only ones I don't have unless there's a Union X Novel somewhere. Still debating if a Coded read will be good. Maybe I'll be surprised?
There actually is, it should be coming out later this month, mine's arriving early January.

I also recently finished the KH1 novel and really liked it, I liked the character interactions and how they handled the worlds. I especially enjoyed the gummiship moments in the novel.

I'm currently reading CoM, but being a really slow reader I think it'll take me forever to actually get through the whole series. Wish there were digital copies of the Novels so I could more easily take them with me on my commute or on vacation.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
There actually is, it should be coming out later this month, mine's arriving early January.

I also recently finished the KH1 novel and really liked it, I liked the character interactions and how they handled the worlds. I especially enjoyed the gummiship moments in the novel.

I'm currently reading CoM, but being a really slow reader I think it'll take me forever to actually get through the whole series. Wish there were digital copies of the Novels so I could more easily take them with me on my commute or on vacation.
Anger and jealous has just turned me into a Heartless! I want the COM novel too, lol. And really there is a Union X novel? That's interesting. I'll have to be on the look out for it. Not sure I'll be able to read it before the KH3 novels. I have to get through BBS, DDD, and when I finally get a copy of it COM. I might get Coded for collectors sake but not sure I'll read it XD

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Anger and jealous has just turned me into a Heartless! I want the COM novel too, lol. And really there is a Union X novel? That's interesting. I'll have to be on the look out for it. Not sure I'll be able to read it before the KH3 novels. I have to get through BBS, DDD, and when I finally get a copy of it COM. I might get Coded for collectors sake but not sure I'll read it XD
Haha, well let's hope your will is strong enough to produce a Nobody that can still read the Novels for you.

I'm trying to read the books in order chipping away at them each night before bed. The Novels are a decent length, I find. That said I don't get why KH2 got split. Kinda bummed that KH3 is also being split up into multiple smaller books.

I'm also rereading the Manga on my work commutes, I splurged and got myself all of them digitally on comixology. It's been fun reading them again, KH1's manga is a lot sillier than I remember.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Haha, well let's hope your will is strong enough to produce a Nobody that can still read the Novels for you.

I'm trying to read the books in order chipping away at them each night before bed. The Novels are a decent length, I find. That said I don't get why KH2 got split. Kinda bummed that KH3 is also being split up into multiple smaller books.

I'm also rereading the Manga on my work commutes, I splurged and got myself all of them digitally on comixology. It's been fun reading them again, KH1's manga is a lot sillier than I remember.
Lol, I'm sure there is another me running around in a black coat somewhere, probably getting brainwashed by ice cream.

As for the KH2 novel, I wondered that too! It was so weird. Together they are bigger then Days' novel and probably around the same size as BBS's one. The BBS novel is huge! Like a monster novel. It's gonna be a long read. Since you have it, how big is the COM novel? I'm curious.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Lol, I'm sure there is another me running around in a black coat somewhere, probably getting brainwashed by ice cream.

As for the KH2 novel, I wondered that too! It was so weird. Together they are bigger then Days' novel and probably around the same size as BBS's one. The BBS novel is huge! Like a monster novel. It's gonna be a long read. Since you have it, how big is the COM novel? I'm curious.
Haha probably befriending a Replica of you that's taken on the appearance of your closest friend.

It's 400 pages long. Looking at my collection it's the 3rd Longest.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Haha probably befriending a Replica of you that's taken on the appearance of your closest friend.

It's 400 pages long. Looking at my collection it's the 3rd Longest.
They won't be my friend much longer they keep eating all my ice cream, the little glutton!

400 pages! Sounds good. I heard that BBS and Days had multiple volumes and they just put them together into one big mega novel. I prefer it that way actually, that way I can keep reading without changing volumes. I mean it's no big deal, but if you have one volume without the other, you can't finish your read, you know. Thankfully I have both KH2 novels. But I greatly prefer the mega monster novel approach that Days, BBS and apparently COM took. I can't wait to finally get a copy of COM.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The KHX (not to be confused with UX) novel is releasing on December 24th.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
They won't be my friend much longer they keep eating all my ice cream, the little glutton!

400 pages! Sounds good. I heard that BBS and Days had multiple volumes and they just put them together into one big mega novel. I prefer it that way actually, that way I can keep reading without changing volumes. I mean it's no big deal, but if you have one volume without the other, you can't finish your read, you know. Thankfully I have both KH2 novels. But I greatly prefer the mega monster novel approach that Days, BBS and apparently COM took. I can't wait to finally get a copy of COM.
Haha them eating all your ice cream is just them showing you how much they like you, after all friends are people you eat ice cream with.

Yeah it's a decent size.

To my understanding all the KH novels were released in smaller volumes in Japan, but we got lucky and are getting them collected for the most part. I way prefer having them collected in omnibuses, seeing it saves on shelve space. There's just something nice about having it more compact collected and being able to just continue chipping away at a book.
Same with the Manga, the fact that Days is in regular sized volumes and not Omnibuses like KH2 and KH1 really bothers me for some reason.

I wrote yenpress to ask about wehter they'd release a collected version of KH3, but never heard back from them.

Right, my mistake. I guess this means we'll most likely also get Light Novels covering, Back Cover and Union Cross.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I keep getting these confused. Which story is KHX again? As that the one during the Keyblade War or the one post it with Ava's choosen Dandelions?

Haha them eating all your ice cream is just them showing you how much they like you, after all friends are people you eat ice cream with.

Yeah it's a decent size.

To my understanding all the KH novels were released in smaller volumes in Japan, but we got lucky and are getting them collected for the most part. I way prefer having them collected in omnibuses, seeing it saves on shelve space. There's just something nice about having it more compact collected and being able to just continue chipping away at a book.
Same with the Manga, the fact that Days is in regular sized volumes and not Omnibuses like KH2 and KH1 really bothers me for some reason.

I wrote yenpress to ask about wehter they'd release a collected version of KH3, but never heard back from them.

Right, my mistake. I guess this means we'll most likely also get Light Novels covering, Back Cover and Union Cross.
They eat it all for sure. My other self is displeased.

I'm glad they went for the mega novels too. I noticed that about the mangas. I have all 5 of the Days mangas and I have some from KH2's manga. I enjoy that the KH2 mangas are these huge collection of multiple volumes as well. It's weird how the Days and KH2 novels and mangas are the complete opposite of how their sister books were released. It certainly does save book space when they are just one big volume.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I keep getting these confused. Which story is KHX again? As that the one during the Keyblade War or the one post it with Ava's choosen Dandelions?

It's the part before the Keyblade war.

They eat it all for sure. My other self is displeased.

I'm glad they went for the mega novels too. I noticed that about the mangas. I have all 5 of the Days mangas and I have some from KH2's manga. I enjoy that the KH2 mangas are these huge collection of multiple volumes as well. It's weird how the Days and KH2 novels and mangas are the complete opposite of how their sister books were released. It certainly does save book space when they are just one big volume.

Haha I feel sorry for your other.

Yeah it's weird that it got flopped with the manga and novels. I imagine the KH3 manga and novel will release here in the same volume format they are in Japan. So multiple smaller volumes :(, but at least we'll get them.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It's the part before the Keyblade war.

Haha I feel sorry for your other.

Yeah it's weird that it got flopped with the manga and novels. I imagine the KH3 manga and novel will release here in the same volume format they are in Japan. So multiple smaller volumes :(, but at least we'll get them.
It's before, then it'll have MoM and the Zoo-Keys (Foretellers) in them? If so then I'll certainly want that one. One thing I've loved about the novel's is Shiro Amano's illustrations in them too. I love that cartoony style and want to see them in it.

The KH3 novels and mangas will likely be split up here, which I'm honestly okay with. Yeah, I'd prefer the mega novels but the small ones aren't bad either. I'm hoping they both have ReMind content in them too.

Back