• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix announces brand new Kingdom Hearts mobile game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Fate Grand Order for instance.
I really hope it's handled like that than the drip feed we get in UX.
If I had to take a guess, Project Xehanort will coexist alongside KHUx, but only for a finite amount of time. Projects usually have business plans. I imagine Xehanort's story will be told for a period of 12 months.

But if SE finds the project profitable, they could decide to renew it and perhaps create an ecosystem of mobile game to profit from.

AR829038

Awards
Why are some disappointed that this is a mobile title? Mobile games can have good storytelling.
Because the only reference we have for how Kingdom Hearts does mobile games is Union X, which sucks.
If they release the whole game to us in one bite, then I'm fine with it. But I won't stand for another slow feed five-quests-per-month bs story. Not again.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Because the only reference we have for how Kingdom Hearts does mobile games is Union X, which sucks.
If they release the whole game to us in one bite, then I'm fine with it. But I won't stand for another slow feed five-quests-per-month bs story. Not again.
There are other mobile games out there.

Ink Ribbon

Awards
I'm actually not really surprised there's going to be another mobile game. I don't personally play on my phone but I do check out UX on Everglow's youtube channel to keep me up to date on the lore. If not full fledged console remakes, I definitely would like to see UX and Xehanort's stories put into a movie someday. Ready to see the rest of that artwork even more now lol.

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
There are other mobile games out there.
I get that. And I'm saying, Kingdom Hearts has not had a good one. And Square's MO seems to be "milk the players for all they're worth", which does not bode well for any other mobile game they intend to squeeze out.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As the resident Xehanort stan, I hate this announcement but also love it and fear it because I hate mobile games but I'll be spending the next 2-3 years doing nothing but playing this game begrudgingly. I'm tired like Sign.

Well, Kingdom Hearts on mobile is clearly profitable enough for them to run another game simultaeneously with Union Cross.

This is still dissapointing news to me though.

UX will likely be ending soon. After Mobius, it is the second lowest profitable mobile game currently in service at SE. Mobius' service is ending this Spring.

They will probably start this game's service and slowly wrap up UX and then have an event to get players to migrate to this game if they haven't already done so by that point.

AR829038

Awards
As the resident Xehanort stan, I hate this announcement but also love it and fear it because I hate mobile games but I'll be spending the next 2-3 years doing nothing but playing this game begrudgingly. I'm tired like Sign.

UX will likely be ending soon. After Mobius, it is the second lowest profitable mobile game currently in service at SE. Mobius' service is ending this Spring.

They will probably start this game's service and slowly wrap up UX and then have an event to get players to migrate to this game if they haven't already done so by that point.
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel a deeply cynical dimension to this. Almost like they only put out that it's a Xehanort-based game so that they can salvage the people who jumped ship from UX, and start leeching money off them again. I bet Nomura never even had any intention of making this a mobile game, but SE probably talked him into it.
In any case, I'm guessing the people at Square are going to be pretty surprised that this is the reaction they're getting to this announcement. Maybe if they haven't started development on it yet, then maybe there's a chance they could be convinced to axe the mobile game and make it a handheld or a console game, something with some integrity. I know it's unlikely, but I can dream.

GreyouTT

Awards
And UX Global will still be four months behind on story, even while shutting down.

e: oh hey we're in a new section.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel a deeply cynical dimension to this. Almost like they only put out that it's a Xehanort-based game so that they can salvage the people who jumped ship from UX, and start leeching money off them again. I bet Nomura never even had any intention of making this a mobile game, but SE probably talked him into it.
In any case, I'm guessing the people at Square are going to be pretty surprised that this is the reaction they're getting to this announcement. Maybe if they haven't started development on it yet, then maybe there's a chance they could be convinced to axe the mobile game and make it a handheld or a console game, something with some integrity. I know it's unlikely, but I can dream.

Nomura mentioned in the Ultimania how he wanted to do a Xehanort prequel game before KH3 but it didn't work out. It's pretty clear he never gave up on the idea and was going to make it happen any way he could, if not a console game then as a mobile game.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm highly cynical about this project but I can definitely say this ship is sailing regardless. The only thing that will stop it is low downloads and poor sales of In-App Purchases. This is what killed TWEWY Live Remix after all.

AR829038

Awards
Nomura mentioned in the Ultimania how he wanted to do a Xehanort prequel game before KH3 but it didn't work out. It's pretty clear he never gave up on the idea and was going to make it happen any way he could, if not a console game then as a mobile game.
I don't doubt it was Nomura's idea to tell this story, I just doubt it was his idea to make it another mobile game.

Noivern

Awards
Oh wow, I wasn't aware UX was low on the profit side of things. It doesn't surprise me that much as the game seems to exploit players too much even for a gacha (japanese servers usually are pretty player-friendly but I heard UX was bad over there as well), but I guess I assumed KH was a big enough game to make even a shitty gacha be a big money maker.

Still, I'm not sure if it's even possible to have some sort of migration this time unlike X to UX. Even if they re-use the same format replacing Daybreak with Scala and the Unions with different Masters like I suggested, we are talking about a jump in time of literal centuries.

Also, It can be argued that the Playable Character is probably the worst part of the X/UX story and the hardest issue to tackle when adapting the story to other formats, with Back Cover ignoring us and nearly every event that we took part in too, so I find it surprising if they somehow keep that format going forward.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I’d like to see a new art style and a game that doesn’t do 800+ missions.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
I think it's worth mentioning that the title is, not only two words in English, 8 letters but it's also two letters in Japanese, with 3 characters each. I don't know much Japanese, but I assume in Japanese version, KH games titles were never in kanji? that's 3 katakana/syllable on each word then.

Back