• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
Did you guys also notice that the voice mixing is not great in remind? All the new recordings seem saturated as if the mic was too close of their mouth. It really bothered me sometimes.

OrionGold

Awards
Did you guys also notice that the voice mixing is not great in remind? All the new recordings seem saturated as if the mic was too close of their mouth. It really bothered me sometimes.
I think we all noticed. I really hope something is done about that later on.

Beamer

Awards
Honestly, I think part of the reason why Lloyd did a better job than Hauer was due to the fact that Nimoy and Lloyd had worked together on Star Trek III in which Lloyd played the Klingon Commander and Nimoy directed. While Lloyd doesn't completely rip off what Nimoy did, I'm certain that familiarity helped inform some of his choices when voicing Xehanort.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
Lloyd did a really good job and it was great to hear someone with a voice as ancient-sounding as Nimoy as MX. That said, I was so used to Hauer that it definitely felt strange to hear Lloyd dubbing him over. I really grew to like Hauer’s more subdued hamminess, so going back to a more wild hamminess like Lloyd and Nimoy was a bit jarring. I think also the scene before the Nort Court battle has become so iconic to me personally that it’s weird to hear another voice deliver those lines.

But still. It’s really cool that a popular suggestion to replace Nimoy eventually got his turn. Both Hauer and Lloyd are excellent choices who don’t try to imitate Nimoy in the slightest and make the role their own.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
David Gallagher's performance in KH3 and especially ReMind has me feeling unenthused for any Riku-focused games in the future. I NEVER prefer JP over English, but... David Gallagher really has me reconsidering that.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I so enjoyed Lloyd's performance as Master Xehanort. I find myself quoting him more and more watching his cutscenes.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Maybe I missed it somewhere but was it ever explained why Hayden Panettiere didnt come back to voice Kairi in KH3 and Re:MIND?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Maybe I missed it somewhere but was it ever explained why Hayden Panettiere didnt come back to voice Kairi in KH3 and Re:MIND?

All we have to go on was that she wasn't asked. Hayden has been in and out of the series for tyears, only returning to do one or two lines in BBS and 3D, while Alyson handled the more lengthy performances in ReCoM and Days. Perhaps they couldn't afford her fees for KH3, or they thought she wouldn't be able to accommodate the recording sessions in her schedule, but we'll never know. In any case, I fully expect Alyson to be the one and only voice of Kairi and Xion going forward.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Perhaps it's like what Sign said she wasn't asked by Square Enix and also the fact she was doing Heroes and later Nashville at the time.

On top of that, she has been going through a lot of personal and health issues along with the fact she had to move to Nashville, TN while doing the show Nashville which is likely the factor why Square Enix didn't ask her to reprise her role as Kairi

All we have to go on was that she wasn't asked. Hayden has been in and out of the series for tyears, only returning to do one or two lines in BBS and 3D, while Alyson handled the more lengthy performances in ReCoM and Days. Perhaps they couldn't afford her fees for KH3, or they thought she wouldn't be able to accommodate the recording sessions in her schedule, but we'll never know. In any case, I fully expect Alyson to be the one and only voice of Kairi and Xion going forward.
Don't forget that Hayden had suffered through a lot of personal and health issues that she's been getting, along with the fact she had to move to Nashville, TN while doing the show Nashville which is likely the reason why Square Enix didn't ask her to reprise her role as Kairi for II.8 Final Chapter Prologue and Kingdom Hearts III. Even her acting options have been limited in film and television, which is why she hasn't been getting ANY major roles lately outside of Heroes and Nashville.

Speaking of which, even I haven't seen David Gallagher in ANY major roles lately besides voicing Riku for Kingdom Hearts, most of his roles tend to be guest spots as one-off characters in shows like Criminal Minds and recently he made a guest spot in S.W.A.T.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Isn't it a little odd that we only found out about Christopher Lloyd voicing Xehanort by hearing him speak in-game? Seems like something they could have announced to drum up some hype, I mean, that's a major get.

In any case, it only took me like two words to figure out that it was him. Very distinctive voice on that old bastard

PikaPal

Awards
David Gallagher's performance in KH3 and especially ReMind has me feeling unenthused for any Riku-focused games in the future. I NEVER prefer JP over English, but... David Gallagher really has me reconsidering that.
Weird too considering he was still good with the previous games but his performance sounded so off in KH3, even more so in the DLC. Far more noticeable if you listen to Dark Riku's stuff.

Kinda hope he gets better voice direction down the line.

Also god was Christopher Lloyd such a great Xehanort. I was fine with Rutger Hauer and all but I think Lloyd easily topped him with how good he was in the role, a perfect successor to Nimoy.

Last edited:

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Rest in peace to Zoe. She did a decent job voicing the character.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Zoe's performance as the Grand Councilwoman from the Lilo & Stitch franchise and I'm really saddened when I read the news that she passed away from Parkinson's Disease 4 days ago.

With David Ogden Stiers (Dr. Jumba), Unsho Ishizuka (Gantu's Japanese actor) and now Zoe Caldwell (Grand Councilwoman) passing away, It will be hard to imagine anyone taking over the roles of these characters if we get a proper Lilo & Stitch world for a future KH game. Even if they bring in another actor and actress to voice Jumba and the Grand Councilwoman if they appear again for a future KH game it just wouldn't be the same without David and Zoe.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Isn't it a little odd that we only found out about Christopher Lloyd voicing Xehanort by hearing him speak in-game? Seems like something they could have announced to drum up some hype, I mean, that's a major get.

In any case, it only took me like two words to figure out that it was him. Very distinctive voice on that old bastard
SE really likes not announcing who the voices actors are. :(

Zoe Caldwell, the actress who voiced the Grand Councilwoman in Lilo & Stitch, Stitch! the Movie, it's television series, Leroy and Stitch as well as the Deep Space level in Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep has passed away on February 16.

Zoe Caldwell, four-time Tony Award winner, dies at 86
Shit. I love the Grand Councilwoman and Caldwell's performance in the movie. Her voice really made the character.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Shit. I love the Grand Councilwoman and Caldwell's performance in the movie. Her voice really made the character.
I agree, Zoe brought a phenomenal performance as the Grand Councilwoman from the Lilo & Stitch franchise and the Deep Space level in Birth By Sleep as she brought someone who is both stern, authoritative and compassionate to the characters she interacted with (Lilo, Stitch, Cobra Bubbles, Jumba, Pleakley, Gantu, Aqua). Now that David Ogden Stiers (Dr. Jumba) and recently Zoe Caldwell (Grand Councilwoman) are no longer with us it's going to be hard to imagine anyone taking over the roles as these characters if we get a official Lilo & Stitch world for a future KH game. Even if they bring in another actor and actress to voice Jumba (e.g. Corey Burton, or whomever) and especially the Grand Councilwoman if we see them again, it just wouldn't be the same without David and Zoe.

Gantu's Japanese actor is going to be interesting, cause while Kevin Michael Richardson (Gantu's actor in the English version) is still alive, his Japanese Voice Actor Unsho Ishizuka had passed away in 2018, so if Gantu does return and plays an important role in a potential Lilo & Stitch world for a future KH game then I'd expect they might get a new voice actor for him, otherwise they might write him out or have him say no lines out of respect for Unsho Ishizuka, much like how they kept Phil silent in the Olympus level for Kingdom Hearts III due to the death of Ichiro Nagai.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't want to sound insensitive to Japanese culture, but is that silence of characters whose voice actors passed away rule something that they enforce forever? I can understand not recasting for a project that they were currently working on when they passed away, but would they still enforce it 10-20 years later if the property is revisited?

Back