• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
Like what I said I’m not attacking aqua my friend so I hope you weren’t annoyed, I’m just saying not all her popularity is cause of her character but cause she is a strong female character

Here’s why

Sora riku kairi, Ventus Terra, Axel, Xion all are kind selfless have strong heart and put their friends before themselves, so what does aqua have? Cause she is pretty much share the same traits as those characters i listed, all she has left is the fact that she is a strong female character who is covered in the color blue, a very loved color by everyone, as for her character she is an ok a good decent main character but that’s mostly it, nothing really make her stick out as a character, she deserves to be popular, but saying she is one of the most well written and popular characters in kingdom hearts and being listed in the top 5 in KH poll most popular kingdom hearts characters, then that is bs, cause other then being a female she is average and just ok, she sits in the middle for being awesome but definitely not the best.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
No offense, but I was not annoyed. I just decided to reply since this topic's been revived for like the twentieth time, I figured you must really want to talk about it. My response was serious, you could've just responded to it seriously instead of going personal. And, yes, Aqua would still be popular if she was a male character, jmo. That she's in the top 5 characters isn't surprising, since she's the only character of her type in KH. While Sora sacrifices a great deal just like Aqua, he doesn't follow rules or listen to authority figures very much (he's also kind of dumb); while being reserved, powerful, and carrying himself with authority like Aqua, Riku has the whole fall from grace at the beginning of the series; Ventus and Axel are exuberant, playful characters, not reserved (Axel also did some really evil stuff at one point); Xion is more passive and teary than Aqua; Terra is much more insecure than Aqua. Riku is probably the character most like her in the present, if you leave out his backstory. Both he and Aqua feel like real leaders. He's likewise one of the top 5 most popular characters, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
No offense, but I was not annoyed. I just decided to reply since this topic's been revived for like the twentieth time, I figured you must really want to talk about it. My response was serious, you could've just responded to it seriously instead of going personal. And, yes, Aqua would still be popular if she was a male character, jmo.
Hmm well then My bad I thought you were annoyed since you’re an aqua fan, I figured you wouldn’t like this topic to go on but if I was wrong then my apology^^

1. I didn’t really want to talk about it much, I was planing on ending it once it reached 100 comments but since some commented I decided to drop one last comment number #107,

2. i was serious when I responded... that’s just the way I talk if you think I’m messing around then think what you will

3. Sorry but I don’t see it, aqua still wouldn’t be this popular if she was a guy, she would be popular indeed but if you remove the female part then her popularity will surely decrease, not by a lot but still it will decrease.

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't think Aqua's popularity has to do with her gender. Yeah, there's some weirdos who are like "BOOBS AND BUTTS, FAVORITE", but I, as an Aqua fan, love her character however bland it is. TAV is my favorite trio despite all their mistakes and screw ups. The game has huge problems, and yet I love them so much.

In my opinion, the reasons for Aqua's popularity is because:
  • Unlike many of the other trios, there is virtually no ship wars involved with them. Most critiques come from a character perspective completely unrelated to feelings overshadowed by ships, as evidenced by this thread. We can all look at her character and pick apart what we like and don't like and it's not because she's in the way of a ship. (Kairi, Xion, and sometimes even Namine unfortunately). There aren't a ton of fans that like only one of TAV and hate the other two. They definitely exist, but surprising a lot of people like them as a trio in totality.
  • Gameplay. Aqua, despite BbS gameplay setbacks, is fun to play. A glass canon with a lot of big flashy techniques. We all like to play a flashy wizard now and then, right? Or at least, I do. Also, the ballet fighting style? Stuff of dreams man, she's so cool. I squeaked in excitement when I saw her upgraded finisher in 0.2 like honestly makes me want to get back into ballet. (note, I haven't been in ballet since I was a wee child)
  • Screen time. Out of the TAV trio, Aqua has the most screen time within BbS and outside of BbS. Although BbS is technically evenly divided by our three heroes, Aqua comes out as the defacto main character, just like Riku is technically the main character of Dream Drop Distance. Many find her role through much of the game insignificant (or a popular critique, "She's just the cleanup crew"), Aqua technically ends up jump starting the rest of the series by not only saving Terranort, but leaving him in the perfect spot to become Ansem's apprentice. There's also a lot of emotional weight with her having to take down both of her best friends, lock one of them away in her destroyed home, and give up her freedom to keep the other from falling into darkness.

That sums up why I think she's popular. People who boil it down to, "It's cause she's a girl" are either disingenuous or purposely obtuse. Or maybe you guys are just hanging around the wrong crowd or only come across people who have the hots for her? I really don't know, but you are definitely associating with the wrong people in that case. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for why I personally like her and why she's probably my fav of the TAV trio, well, she reminds me of me. My slightly younger self. I was a freshman in college when BbS came out. I was in a similar position as her. I had family members "turning to darkness" so to speak and was constantly struggling between being too honest, "What the hell are you doing I know you've been doing bad, what are you thinking?" but also just... not wanting to create conflict cause you know, I still love them and would hate to hurt them because I think they're making huge mistakes. How do you approach situations like that? Well, I didn't do what Aqua did. In fact, I did nothing at all and now I live in doubt wondering if I had said something would things have changed for the better (cause things definitely went bad for a long time)

All her efforts to try to make things right, to protect her friends in her own way, and in the end, deciding to give up everything to save them? I dunno. It touches me a lot. Like yeah they all screwed up, and fought each other, and ended up in a situation where she had to beat them into submission to save them, but no one can say she doesn't love her friends. She suffered in what was basically hell for more than a decade and never once blamed them (she blamed herself. And Mickey. Lol. Oof) She wanted to be with them again SO BAD, it really makes you root for her and their reunion. Their reunion scene in KH3 was gold. I'm so happy they took the time to at least have them hugging and crying on each other. It's so sweet in the DLC where Riku's all worried, but she's all smiley "I got my friends now so I'm ok. c:"

I've read (and RPed) so many fix it fics for BbS. Not "fix it" as in make everything happy and fluffy, but rearranging the events of BbS to flow better. Changing the dialogue to make more sense. Adding context where context is clearly missing/cut out. (as someone mentioned, Aqua never actually saw anything Terra did. Would it have killed them to let her witness and at least misunderstand what she was seeing so that the accusation later made more sense? It could still be a misunderstanding and wrongly accusation, but give her something to actually see gosh)

I think my fix-it reinterpretation was so right that a friend and I almost entirely predicted how her story would unfold in 0.2 and KH3 before either project was officially announced. (I mean, we had WAY more closure for our KH3 than KH3 could hope to have but it's whatever.) Even down to her negative thoughts and insecurities taking physical shape in the dark realm and eventually taking over for a while. I've taken this to mean, my reinterpretation was actually the intended interpretation, they just once again failed to properly represent what they're trying to do in game/plot leaving us to fill in gaps that may or may not actually be true. Which I guess Nomura said he wanted to happen at one point? Meh.

But anyway, I'm rambling. After glancing over this thread, the things I take away from it/want to say
  • Don't let weirdoes decide how to feel about certain characters. I would literally hate every single character and Kingdom Hearts if their fans had anything to do with it. It's a miracle that I don't hate any of the characters to be honest. (I do hate how some of them ended up being written -Xehanort-, but that's a different issue) At some point when it comes to fandom, any fandom, you gotta let dumb stuff roll off your shoulders or even say "screw canon" when canon is also being a little dumb.
  • Plenty of Aqua fans acknowledge that some Aqua fans are weirdoes. We also acknowledge she's made mistakes. Her mistakes are kind of her appeal for me, it's deeply personal as I mentioned before. What fun is writing angst, drama, and suffering if no mistakes are to be had? Mistakes is where all the juicy plot lives! At the end of the day, as long as characters learn from their mistakes it's all good (Which Aqua technically did, but... I wish the plot actually demonstrated it. Like, Aqua looking at Riku and thinking, "So darkness doesn't always end in tragedy." We didn't get anything except Aqua brushing everything off/never mentioning it)
  • We can all the agree, many parts of BbS just don't flow well, whether it's the dialogue, cut/changed content making some plot points make no sense. But, whether you like the game overall is completely subjective. Somehow, BbS is still my favorite KH game despite it all. It's not even a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure.
  • I didn't like Aqua's voice when I heard it for the very very first time in trailers ages ago. But somehow, it really grew on me. There are some weird line deliveries, but overall, I like Aqua's voice. Terra's voice also suits him, but the problem is almost all the line deliveries are bad.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
No offense, but I was not annoyed. I just decided to reply since this topic's been revived for like the twentieth time, I figured you must really want to talk about it. My response was serious, you could've just responded to it seriously instead of going personal. And, yes, Aqua would still be popular if she was a male character, jmo. That she's in the top 5 characters isn't surprising, since she's the only character of her type in KH. While Sora sacrifices a great deal just like Aqua, he doesn't follow rules or listen to authority figures very much (he's also kind of dumb); while being reserved, powerful, and carrying himself with authority like Aqua, Riku has the whole fall from grace at the beginning of the series; Ventus and Axel are exuberant, playful characters, not reserved (Axel also did some really evil stuff at one point); Xion is more passive and teary than Aqua; Terra is much more insecure than Aqua. Riku is probably the character most like her in the present, if you leave out his backstory. Both he and Aqua feel like real leaders. He's likewise one of the top 5 most popular characters, I'm guessing.
being in the top 5 doesn’t mean this or that character is great many overrated characters reach the top 5 it’s not surprising,

terra more insecure? Ok maybe you’re not wrong but His the only one had the guts to walk the dark side despite being betrayed by his friend and master, Aqua have up numerous times when she came in contact with darkness she even wanted to kill lady tremaine and her daughters, she’s insecure when she is around darkness (then again I really like those flaws that made her human)

imo best characters in kingdom hearts
10. Terra
9. Aqua
8. Vanitas
7. Ventus
6. Xigbar
5. Xehanort (young and old and all his versions lol)
4. Kairi
3. Sora
2. Riku
1. Roxas

so aqua is still in the top 10, she also has the potential to be in top 5 when i see more of her character ofc, tbh she was number 10 for me but her file character is what made me reconsider moving her above terra, cause I liked her story, then again her and terra are tie for me I guess I like them both equally but I see them as great characters at best.

Last edited:

Elysium

Awards
being in the top 5 doesn’t mean this or that character is great
I know. It means they're popular. My top 5 KH characters are Riku, Aqua, Saix, Larxene, and Namine. Terra's insecurity was in reference to his not taking it well when he didn't become Keyblade Master. He spent the rest of the game acting needy, ready to listen to any character who might tell him he's really great to fill the void where he wanted Eraqus' approval to be.

Foxycian

Awards
I know. It means they're popular. My top 5 KH characters are Riku, Aqua, Saix, Larxene, and Namine. Terra's insecurity was in reference to his not taking it well when he didn't become Keyblade Master. He spent the rest of the game acting needy, ready to listen to any character who might tell him he's really great to fill the void where he wanted Eraqus' approval to be.
Being popular and being in the top 5 doesn’t always equal most well written character, but you already know that, And nice list btw, also for terra, you see that’s the problem, in fact terra showed no sign that he wouldn’t listen to anyone, in fact he will be obliged to ask for help, he did a lot of times asking others on how to conquer his darkness, it’s only when his father and best friend betrayed him that’s where terra started to doubt everyone and be insecure, remember we are talking about someone who had strong darkness in his heart, so when you betray him ofc he will be insecure the closest people to him started doubting him for stuff he didn’t do.

Last edited:

Elysium

Awards
Terra's insecurity started at the beginning of the game when he wasn't chosen for Keyblade Master, imo. Personally, I don't think Eraqus or Aqua betrayed him. Eraqus betrayed Ventus at one point though when he tried to kill him. Eraqus not making Terra a KM isn't a betrayal.

Also, kirabook is right that Aqua being fun to play as gameplay-wise is a big reason, too. Riku is also fun to play as, imo.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
If you're taking your talking points from the Amino app, I can say for certain you're hanging around the weirdoes and your opinions are being influenced by them. Amino is literally the worst place to find fellow fans and attracts the worst type of fans imo.

Foxycian

Awards
Terra's insecurity started at the beginning of the game when he wasn't chosen for Keyblade Master, imo. Personally, I don't think Eraqus or Aqua betrayed him. Eraqus betrayed Ventus at one point though when he tried to kill him. Eraqus not making Terra a KM isn't a betrayal.

Also, kirabook is right that Aqua being fun to play as gameplay-wise is a big reason, too. Riku is also fun to play as, imo.
Eraqus did betray terra, he wronged him, he even admitted he might be the reason terra have darkness to begin with (even tho we don’t know the full story so not gonna talk about it) heck he told aqua to spy on him, being worried is ok but really he sent one of his students (aqua) imagine someone who is your equal and rival is tasked to look after you after you failed the test? Eraqus also told him this is his second chance to prove himself but all he did was fear terra wasn’t strong enough to conquer his own darkness, even aqua agreed that terra isn’t that weak to submit to darkness hence telling eraqus “his not as weak as you think” Eraqus meant well but to terra, terra felt that he failed his master and on top of it terra believe his master didn’t trust him much for this task.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
If you're taking your talking points from the Amino app, I can say for certain you're hanging around the weirdoes and your opinions are being influenced by them. Amino is literally the worst place to find fellow fans and attracts the worst type of fans imo.
If you’re talking to me then no I don’t hang in there nor any where I judge character by how I see them I don’t follow the hate wagon or fans who overrated their characters etc I judge for myself that’s fair judgment imo, I don’t like listening to haters with no logic or anything to back them up, so yea I already said I don’t hate aqua she is a great character I like her but for me she’s in the middle as just a great character, but definitely she didn’t spark enough for me to include her in the top 5, she is tied with terra for me with terra being a little more interesting imo.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Doesn't really have much to do with hatred, but you linked that Amino post which is basically says everything you've stated here and the main crutch of it is, "Well, she's popular cause she's a girl.".

Some of fans only liking her because she's a female character not only represents the minority of her fans, but it's also not a character flaw so I'm not sure why it was brought up in the first place.

There's plenty of things to critique Aqua on for sure, being a woman isn't one of them.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I think we’re undermining the severe lack of respect(and quantity) Kingdom Hearts has given to its female characters and how it affects fandom perception.
Using outliers like Axel doesn’t work because of the role and personality he had in CoM. There’s no comparable example for Aqua because male characters are give more focus and interpersonal relationships than the females. Culturally as a world there are sexist ideas that bleed consciously or subconsciously into entertainment and some of its influences can be seen all across the Kingdom Hearts series. Aqua like any character suffers from it regardless of Nomura’s intentions.

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
BEFORE BbS came out, were most people like, "Oh cool! We've never had a female character fighter before I immediately love her!" Sure. It was exciting, even though I remember some fanboys being mad she had short hair most people were excited by this change of pace. We didn't know her yet, so it certainly drummed up some interest given the lack of them before. But is that what the fandom is now 10 years later? Does this represent her fans post-BbS to present? No, it really doesn't. Time has moved and so have peoples opinions.

To boil down her popularity (and its ups and down) to "she's female" is simply unfair and in my opinion, wrong.

She's fun to play. She has a significant amount of screen time compared to most keyblade heroes. Her struggle with internal demons is a little different than most of her friends who suffer from external demons. She has a cute little connection to the main character (Sora, however surface level that connection ended up being).

She's the Sora/Riku. She's the Roxas. She's the defacto "main" of her trio (but definitely less so, TAV is pretty even imo). It's a no brainer why she ended up standing out. If "Aqua" were "Aquo" and everything was the same... then yes. He'd still be popular because he's the "main" of his trio. Aqua is (basically) Sora and Riku slapped into one package with a gender switch so of course he'd still be popular if it were a guy. (I love the fact that Sora was almost her protege and their similarities and everything??? It continues to this day it's awesome). Are we gonna to pretend this fandom doesn't go goo goo gaga over pretty much ever dude in this series? People even like VEXEN. It's INCREDIBLE that Aqua gained any popularity during a time when every KH community was drowning in yaoi.

When 0.2 was releasing, people were excited to play Aqua and see what happened with her story, not how moe and kawaii she was. 0.2 would've gotten the same amount of hype (if not more) if it were Riku, Sora, or Mickey in her place. People side eyed the random customization added to the game and then made memes that that's how she coped with her overwhelming depression.

People were looking forward to seeing her rescued in KH3 not cause she was a cute waifu uwu, but Aqua was the only one that could save Ven and possibly save Terra. (These two points being partially why people were disappointed with her in KH3, she didn't get to do those things) People wanted to see them together and happy again after all they suffered at the hands of Xehanort.

People have a reason to care about what's happening with her character and a reason to root for her. Will there be fans who only like her cause she's a girl? Sure. There are people who play this game because the like Disney and nothing else. Are we going to pretend like they're the target demographic or majority of the fanbase, or acknowledge they're just a subset/minority of people within the fandom? Are we really going to pretend like every girl in this series wasn't hated or treated badly until Aqua came along with her cool movies and intricate story with her pals to change the tides?

Who you like more personally or find more interesting is your choice, but your choice is subjective. So is mine. I love all three characters and I pretty much hate comparing them against one another because for me personally, it's all or nothing. Putting down and trying to downplay one of them just to boost up another sucks.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
BEFORE BbS came out, were most people like, "Oh cool! We've never had a female character fighter before I immediately love her!" Sure. It was exciting, even though I remember some fanboys being mad she had short hair most people were excited by this change of pace. We didn't know her yet, so it certainly drummed up some interest given the lack of them before. But is that what the fandom is now 10 years later? Does this represent her fans post-BbS to present? No, it really doesn't. Time has moved and so have peoples opinions.

Yes and no, “yes”, I said she is 65% popular cause of her character and she deserves her popularity, “No”, the 35% rest is cause people like her more cause she is a strong female character, if aqua was a male (only 65% without the 35% female assets) then she is below Ventus and tied with terra or slightly below terra in terms of popularity, imo she isn’t as interesting since she didn’t have story of her own until final ep, secret ep, and 0.2

To boil down her popularity (and its ups and down) to "she's female" is simply unfair and in my opinion, wrong.

no one think it’s fair, I do not mind her being popular, but not like this if anything it’s the fanboys fault for overrating any Character that has breasts

She's fun to play. She has a significant amount of screen time compared to most keyblade heroes. Her struggle with internal demons is a little different than most of her friends who suffer from external demons. She has a cute little connection to the main character (Sora, however surface level that connection ended up being).

1. all three of them had unique playstyle and story, Ventus he’s fun play too, Terra can be seen as fun for tank fans and heavy hitter type of players (his only issue is the dodge) aqua is fun to play but honestly to each their own I enjoyed Ventus the most,

2. As for most (significant?) screen time I believe Ventus is the one who got most screen time if we include all kh games

3. also all three had their struggles:
“Aqua with her inner demons”
“terra with his darkness and wanting his master to accept him, plus the betrayal he faced from Eraqus and Xehanort”
“Ventus with his damaged heart and his other half Vanitas, (we honestly don’t know much about Ventus yet) each has their own struggles”

4. all three of them had connection with Sora tho,

Ventus was the strongest, he didn’t meet Sora but their hearts certainly connected and that’s powerful

Aqua second, she actually met him and talked to him

Terra weakest, since he didn’t have much interaction or connection with Sora As much as Ventus and aqua

She's the Sora/Riku. She's the Roxas. She's the defacto "main" of her trio (but definitely less so, TAV is pretty even imo). It's a no brainer why she ended up standing out. If "Aqua" were "Aquo" and everything was the same... then yes. He'd still be popular because he's the "main" of his trio. Aqua is (basically) Sora and Riku slapped into one page with a gender switch so of course he'd still be popular if it were a guy. (I love the fact that Sora was almost her protege and their similarities and everything??? It continues to this day it's awesome). Are we gonna to pretend this fandom doesn't go goo goo gaga over pretty much ever dude in this series? People even like VEXEN. It's INCREDIBLE that Aqua gained any popularity during a time when every KH community was drowning in yaoi.

Sorry but I don’t see her as the main of her trio, the game only started focusing on her and actually made her important only when her friends were out of the picture, tbh at first I thought Ventus was the main one since you start the game with him and his connection to sora, but from what I saw bbs trio seems to not have 1 specific main, they are all equally main characters, Ofc most point at aqua but real talk now that her friends are back they are back as being 3 mains, to tell the truth that’s what I liked about the bbs trio that all three of them are equally important, also no I don’t see her as Sora/riku or Roxas she gives me a different vibe of character she feels like her own character and not male this or male that at least that’s what I think now after long thinking, as for male yaoi and blah stuff there’s difference, yaoi is about shipping the character, it has nothing to do with overrating a male character, people just ship any character they see together cause there are more males then female in kh simple, heck people ship any girl with any boy they see together, they even ship kh characters with Disney characters, terra x Cinderella, Sora x rapunzle, you see what I mean? Also no if she was a guy then I don’t see her being this popular, like I said she is 65% if she was a male, the rest 35% is being a female character that can fight

When 0.2 was releasing, people were excited to play Aqua and see what happened with her story, not how moe and kawaii she was. 0.2 would've gotten the same amount of hype (if not more) if it were Riku, Sora, or Mickey in her place. People side eyed the random customization added to the game and then made memes that that's how she coped with her overwhelming depression.

hmm really? Cause from the reaction trailers I saw of 0.2 most words spoken of reactors and comments is saw are...

OMG Aqua my Wifu
Aqua best girl she is soo Hot!
Terranort & Ven-Vanitas don’t touch my bitch aqua!
Aqua smile is the most pure best “girl”
Aqua is a goddess!
Aqua why are you soo Pretty and perfect?
Aqua is flawless, beautiful, best “girl!”
aqua my wife I will save you that’s a promise!

Huh I could go on and on but it’s a bit cringe to read all the love letters she got... moving on.

People were looking forward to seeing her rescued in KH3 not cause she was a cute waifu uwu, but Aqua was the only one that could save Ven and possibly save Terra. (These two points being partially why people were disappointed with her in KH3, she didn't get to do those things) People wanted to see them together and happy again after all they suffered at the hands of Xehanort.

Yes Aqua was the key to saving them, and all three suffered greatly under xehanort, but that wasn’t the only thing fans were disappointed on, they wanted riku to save terra, and wanted terra to finish xehanort off since he suffered the most at his hands, but eh I’m ok with the results even if they weren’t perfect

People have a reason to care about what's happening with her character and a reason to root for her. Will there be fans who only like her cause she's a girl? Sure. There are people who play this game because the like Disney and nothing else. Are we going to pretend like they're the target demographic or majority of the fanbase, or acknowledge they're just a subset/minority of people within the fandom? Are we really going to pretend like every girl in this series was hated or treated badly until Aqua came along with her cool movies and intricate story with her pals to change the tides?

Well I’m aware the fans who like her form being a strong female character are minorities, that’s why I said she is 65% popular cause of her character, while the rest 35% are those who ofc love her but cause she is a girl

Who you like more personally or find more interesting is your choice, but your choice is subjective. So is mine. I love all three characters and I pretty much hate comparing them against one another because for me personally, it's all or nothing. Putting down and trying to downplay one of them just to boost up another sucks.

I wasn’t putting aqua down I said many times this is not a hate topic towards aqua and I don’t hate her just isa mediocre character, a great awesome character but definitely not the best I said that a lot, I never said she was a terrible character or worst character,

that’s my view on Aqua as a character.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Your subjective percentages are straight up silly.

Once again, you're admitting you let fans determine your opinion on the character so I think I can conclude your actually issue is indeed some of her fans no matter how much you try to deny it. :)

Of all the critiques on her character, the people who like her for waifu reason seems to be your biggest sticking point.

Foxycian

Awards
Your subjective percentages are straight up silly.

Once again, you're admitting you let fans determine your opinion on the character so I think I can conclude your actually issue is indeed some of her fans no matter how much you try to deny it. :)

Of all the critiques on her character, the people who like her for waifu reason seems to be your biggest sticking point.
no not really I already said in my first comment that Aqua is in the middle for me a mediocre at best nice try I guess you’re another Aqua fan, you thinking I dislike her because of the fans but it’s not, the fans may have ruined her image a little for me and for some others, but I already had my reasons on why she is my least favorite character (only among the main characters) among the three trios

I already listed in first comment 8 reasons about her

3 reasons why I like her

3 why I don’t like her but also don’t hate her

2 reasons why fans ruin her image,

even without the fans I already have my reasons of why I think she is overrated and think she is just a great character but definitely not the best.

Last edited:

Elysium

Awards
I think we’re undermining the severe lack of respect(and quantity) Kingdom Hearts has given to its female characters and how it affects fandom perception.
Using outliers like Axel doesn’t work because of the role and personality he had in CoM. There’s no comparable example for Aqua because male characters are give more focus and interpersonal relationships than the females.
Well, the thing is, I don't think Aqua is 'terribly written' in the first place. I was saying that if you're bothered about what you perceive as badly written characters being popular, then why aren't you equally bothered by Axel as well (who is probably more popular than she is and easily the worst written character after Kairi)? But I guess he's a male character, so we can't dismiss his popularity as being "only because of his biological sex" like you can with a female character. Honestly, this whole discussion gives me 2016 vibes, when nobody could say they liked Hillary Clinton without being dismissed as ONLY liking her "because she's a woman." Most of Aqua's fans like her for what she is the same as fans for every other character. If a female character being popular is that incomprehensible and triggering for someone, maybe they need to examine themselves about why exactly that is instead of pinning their issues onto other people.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
My point was more along the lines of how sexism affects media and how people may be innately drawn to a certain characters because of how they’re portrayed in their mediums. Obviously it’s not the main reason but I think culturally we don’t really see the insidious ramifications of misogynistic tropes and how it affects writers and consumers. I never stated that it was the main issue but subconsciously there are things that affect how we view and engage things, and Aqua(or Kingdom Hearts as a whole) shows signs of those harmful ideas.

Foxycian

Awards
Well, the thing is, I don't think Aqua is 'terribly written' in the first place. I was saying that if you're bothered about what you perceive as badly written characters being popular, then why aren't you equally bothered by Axel as well (who is probably more popular than she is and easily the worst written character after Kairi)? But I guess he's a male character, so we can't dismiss his popularity as being "only because of his biological sex" like you can with a female character. Honestly, this whole discussion gives me 2016 vibes, when nobody could say they liked Hillary Clinton without being dismissed as ONLY liking her "because she's a woman." Most of Aqua's fans like her for what she is the same as fans for every other character. If a female character being popular is that incomprehensible and triggering for someone, maybe they need to examine themselves about why exactly that is instead of pinning their issues onto other people.
No offense I see you and everyone In this website as a friend but for your sake I will say this, stop being a fanboy... being an aqua fan doesn’t mean you have to be blind, I never said aqua is the worst or something like that, I said many times that majority of Aqua’s popularity is due to her character, while the minority group 30-35% are those who like her but also like her even more cause she’s a hot strong female character, if aqua is 100% popular then remove the 35% which are usually the people who worship her and call her wifu, and then she is left with 65% popularity which Is her character alone (without including that she is a female) and ofc it’s high enough for people to love her and rank her high, just cause aqua has fans I’m not saying they all like her cause she is a girl I said majority of time you may like her as a character but don’t turn blind eye to those guys with lust after every female character in video games who every time they see and like and worship every wifu character in gaming, those people exist and they represent 35% of Aqua’s popularity, if you remove those fans then aqua will still be popular but I don’t see her being more popular then Ventus, I can see her tied with terra for popularity, or maybe below him a little (cause terra was more interesting character tbh) or maybe aqua a little bit higher then him since aqua got a lot of extra episodes to herself flashing her out more, You can say that aqua is popular cause majority of her fans (65%) like her, cause you’re not wrong but don’t deny the extra fans (35%) who made her even more popular cause of her gender don’t pretend they don’t exist they are everywhere sending message saying aqua wifu or aqua best girl they are also the type who play female characters in mmo (not really bad thing) if you choose female in mmo it’s fine but if you choose female all the time only to check her out then... yea those kind of fans are the ones I’m talking about the 35% who like her but also mostly worship her cause she is a female,
I don’t hate aqua... I just don’t like seeing someone being popular for the wrong reasons, aqua is already popular enough as a character but those who overrate her just cause we finally got a strong female fighter is just silly imo, I think “many” already made valid points saying that kh girls didn’t get much screen time like the boys and that’s why aqua is getting soo much love and attention cause she was the only girl to get much screen time and gameplay, but overall I don’t deny she deserves her popularity as a character.

Back