• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should Kairi Get A New Keyblade?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Up until KH3, I thought that keyblade wielders were stuck with the same keyblade. Then we see how easily Riku was able to trash Way To The Dawn and get a new one from the planet Ilum. Even though I much preferred Way To The Dawn's design over Braveheart, Riku's actions of getting a new keyblade basically confirms that he knows where to pick up new keyblades (as he even purchased Kairi's own for her).

Anyway, now that Kairi is going to be promoted to main cast and fighter/playable character, should she upgrade her keyblade to something else? I never liked the flowers as the teeth of her keyblade, but I do like the grip/guard design. I just think that if Kairi is going to be fighting more and even playable, they should change her keyblade design. They'll even have an excuse to do so if she's going to go off rescuing Sora from Shibuya. Just have Riku say it's dangerous and that he'll pick up a powered up keyblade from the store for her.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If Kairi is going to be a main playable character then she'll get Keyblade keychains to switch to so if people don't like her default Keyblade switch to another like every other playable main character. Not like Sora keeps his Kingdom Key with all his different keychains. As of right now there is no reason for Kairi to get a different Keyblade then the one she's stuck with.

Eonstar890

Awards
Before the cover art for KH3 was revealed I actually thought she would end up getting a new keyblade in this title since Riku did. Destiny Embrace has been around just as long as Way to Dawn so I assumed they would go out at the same time. I'd like for it to get an updated one as well. Storywise, Riku did have a better reasoning but I'd still like fo her to get an upgrade in a future installment. If she does become a main character of a future game that'd be the perfect time to do it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I've been thinking about recently actually. & I kinda had an idea:

Keyblade_of_heart.png

The keyblade made of the hearts of the Princesses of Light. The one we saw in KH1 was incomplete because it only had 6/7 hearts so if Kairi were to come to wield it then we'd see the completed version which I imagine would serve as an excuse to alter it's design to be less evil looking.

Square's always gonna be limited in what they can actually do with the Disney princesses (especially Elsa & Anna) so I have this idea of Kairi seeking out each of the new generation pure lights & getting them to give their power to her, so Kairi effectively becomes the sole bearer of the PoL powers going forward.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If Kairi is going to be a main playable character then she'll get Keyblade keychains to switch to so if people don't like her default Keyblade switch to another like every other playable main character. Not like Sora keeps his Kingdom Key with all his different keychains. As of right now there is no reason for Kairi to get a different Keyblade then the one she's stuck with.
Even if she can change the design via the keyblade, I'm talking about Destiny's Embrace on its own. If she's drawn in artwork with her keyblade, it will be Destiny's Embrace not whichever keychain she happened to use. I just think that updating Kairi with a base keyblade design that more reflects who she is currently would be a positive sign in her character being taken seriously.
I've been thinking about recently actually. & I kinda had an idea:

Keyblade_of_heart.png

The keyblade made of the hearts of the Princesses of Light. The one we saw in KH1 was incomplete because it only had 6/7 hearts so if Kairi were to come to wield it then we'd see the completed version which I imagine would serve as an excuse to alter it's design to be less evil looking.

Square's always gonna be limited in what they can actually do with the Disney princesses (especially Elsa & Anna) so I have this idea of Kairi seeking out each of the new generation pure lights & getting them to give their power to her, so Kairi effectively becomes the sole bearer of the PoL powers going forward.
I like the idea of Kairi being the sole PoH, that way Disney doesn't have to be annoying with how a main plot element gets treated. Can you imagine Anna/Elsa leaving Arendelle to be in Hollow Bastion like in KH1 - not gonna happen with present day Disney.

If they do use that keyblade design and it's completed, they would need to change the keyblade's teeth. Nomura designed that keyblade to have a heart at the teeth, to signify Kairi's missing heart. If it's completed, it should look differently. I do like the idea of Kairi using that keyblade, maybe it can be called the Princess of Heart keyblade or something? I just really want Kairi to have a keyblade of her own that's designed better or modernized.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I like the idea of Kairi being the sole PoH, that way Disney doesn't have to be annoying with how a main plot element gets treated. Can you imagine Anna/Elsa leaving Arendelle to be in Hollow Bastion like in KH1 - not gonna happen with present day Disney.
It is a win/loss situation. The PoL are 1 of the only ways Disney characters even have a relevance in the grander scheme, so admittedly removing the Disney princesses from the equation just makes the Disney worlds that much more filler. That's why I want Kairi to go on a journey to align with the other princesses, so we'd at least get one more game of them mattering.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I've always hated Destiny's Embrace so I do hope she gets a new Keyblade. Design wise I just hope it represents her status as a Princess of Heart(so something royal)

disney233

Awards
Up until KH3, I thought that keyblade wielders were stuck with the same keyblade. Then we see how easily Riku was able to trash Way To The Dawn and get a new one from the planet Ilum. Even though I much preferred Way To The Dawn's design over Braveheart, Riku's actions of getting a new keyblade basically confirms that he knows where to pick up new keyblades (as he even purchased Kairi's own for her).

Anyway, now that Kairi is going to be promoted to main cast and fighter/playable character, should she upgrade her keyblade to something else? I never liked the flowers as the teeth of her keyblade, but I do like the grip/guard design. I just think that if Kairi is going to be fighting more and even playable, they should change her keyblade design. They'll even have an excuse to do so if she's going to go off rescuing Sora from Shibuya. Just have Riku say it's dangerous and that he'll pick up a powered up keyblade from the store for her.
How about she actually USE her old Keyblade before we deem she gets a new one. Compared to Sora & Riku, Kairi hasn't been using her Keyblade soooo actively. She didn't even GET a Keyblade till the end of 2, and the only other time we EVER see her use it is her supposed training with Lea, and the final battle. WAY too soon to say she should get a new one. Give it time so she can actually break it in.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
How about she actually USE her old Keyblade before we deem she gets a new one. Compared to Sora & Riku, Kairi hasn't been using her Keyblade soooo actively. She didn't even GET a Keyblade till the end of 2, and the only other time we EVER see her use it is her supposed training with Lea, and the final battle. WAY too soon to say she should get a new one. Give it time so she can actually break it in.
Actually going by the games Riku didn't have Way to Dawn for all that long either. He only used it at the very end of KH2, all of DDD, and he lost it at the start of KH3.

I could see Kairi upgrading her Keyblade at the midpoint of the next game

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Even if she can change the design via the keyblade, I'm talking about Destiny's Embrace on its own. If she's drawn in artwork with her keyblade, it will be Destiny's Embrace not whichever keychain she happened to use. I just think that updating Kairi with a base keyblade design that more reflects who she is currently would be a positive sign in her character being taken seriously.
I mean Destiny's Embrace doesn't reflect her character? What does reflect Kairi? A pure heart princess with occasional snark? I'm not opposed to her getting a new Keyblade, I don't care for Destiny's Embrace myself, but it should not be top priority of Keyblades. We have character's like Axel who got his broken but instead of getting a new one his just comes back for whatever reason. Then we have situations like Sora and Xion who have the same Keyblade and it's understandable to want to see a change there. And finally characters like Isa and Namine who could potentially wield Keyblades in the future. The former likely more then the latter. I'd say all these cases demand Keyblade attention before Kairi who has a perfectly functioning Keyblade that is all hers.

Actually going by the games Riku didn't have Way to Dawn for all that long either. He only used it at the very end of KH2, all of DDD, and he lost it at the start of KH3.

Riku still had that thing longer then Kairi. He went on a entire journey with Way to Dawn before losing it. Kairi barely done anything with that Keyblade beyond that one Xehanort clone fight that may or may not have even really happened lol. At least give her a adventure with it. And again keychains will cover it's design.

cakito123

Awards
I really like her keyblade, so I'm against that idea. That's actually the most beautiful keyblade in my opinion, I like how it is really colorful and the grades of different colors is really great. Also, it's not like we've seen Kairi using her keyblade for battles, the first time she actually fought was in KH3, so I don't think it's the time for her to change her keyblade yet. It is too soon.

Riku did use his old keyblade in a lot of games and in his older arc development. If anything, my interpretation of the keyblade changing is a representation of a character's growth. Kairi is still an underdevoloped character, so I think they should stick to her keyblade until she actually evolves personality-wise before changing her keyblade.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I mean Destiny's Embrace doesn't reflect her character? What does reflect Kairi? A pure heart princess with occasional snark? I'm not opposed to her getting a new Keyblade, I don't care for Destiny's Embrace myself, but it should not be top priority of Keyblades. We have character's like Axel who got his broken but instead of getting a new one his just comes back for whatever reason. Then we have situations like Sora and Xion who have the same Keyblade and it's understandable to want to see a change there. And finally characters like Isa and Namine who could potentially wield Keyblades in the future. The former likely more then the latter. I'd say all these cases demand Keyblade attention before Kairi who has a perfectly functioning Keyblade that is all hers.

Riku still had that thing longer then Kairi. He went on a entire journey with Way to Dawn before losing it. Kairi barely done anything with that Keyblade beyond that one Xehanort clone fight that may or may not have even really happened lol. At least give her a adventure with it. And again keychains will cover it's design.
Using Destiny's Embrace against the heartless army, Saix, and Xehanort's armor is enough for me. I think that warrants a Keyblade change

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
& they will all be super girly, just watch.

Veritas7

That's a good idea. She should have a new keyblade that showcases the duality of her status as both a princess of heart and a guardian of light. Each half should reflect this dual status by looking uniquely different from the other.

disney233

Awards

Riku STILL had a weapon from the very beginning like Sora, while Kairi had and did nothing. I can't say that I'm satisfied when Sora and Riku shined since the beginning, while Kairi ONLY NOW decides to take up arms. Even Kairi in the MANGA does more pre-3 than in the game and that's what pisses me off the most.

tumblr_nft6wyZXyC1rccd5bo8_500.jpg
LOOK AT IT.
tumblr_nft6wyZXyC1rccd5bo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nft6wyZXyC1rccd5bo4_500.jpg
GOD it infuriates me that it isn't canon. And given that it ISN'T canon, Kairi still needs growth with her old keyblade before she could oh so suddenly use a new one. I wouldn't say being Armored Xehanort (Who's not even the old man, himself), and fodder (Given she didn't even DEFEAT Siax) pales in comparison to...literally EVERYTHING ELSE Riku and especially Sora faced since 1. She needs more growth, man. But like...she's SOMEWHERE. I mean...her training with Merlin did...SOMETHING.

okhi12

Awards
Eh, probably. How do Aqua's Keyblades look? Are they girly? I think one of them is actually Destiny's Embrace.
Well, she shares most of her keychains with Terra and Ven, so those should not count, and even some of those look girly (specially Fairy Star and Pixie Petal). But her exclusive keychains are indeed girly, Master's Defender being a notable exception. Stormfall's design is amazing, though. Sober and simple but stylish.
Anyway, I'm glad Aqua can equip a sturdy and threatening keyblade like the Void Gear.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Riku STILL had a weapon from the very beginning like Sora, while Kairi had and did nothing. I can't say that I'm satisfied when Sora and Riku shined since the beginning, while Kairi ONLY NOW decides to take up arms. Even Kairi in the MANGA does more pre-3 than in the game and that's what pisses me off the most.

View attachment 12499
LOOK AT IT.
View attachment 12500
View attachment 12501
GOD it infuriates me that it isn't canon. And given that it ISN'T canon, Kairi still needs growth with her old keyblade before she could oh so suddenly use a new one. I wouldn't say being Armored Xehanort (Who's not even the old man, himself), and fodder (Given she didn't even DEFEAT Siax) pales in comparison to...literally EVERYTHING ELSE Riku and especially Sora faced since 1. She needs more growth, man. But like...she's SOMEWHERE. I mean...her training with Merlin did...SOMETHING.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
How much more do you want?

And I was trying to allude to Kairi's keyblade being "girly". The flower design for the teeth are the "girly" aspect and I just think take away from the design because I love the handle being water - referencing her name and Destiny Islands.

I just think that her keyblade can get a redesign. With Riku changing his so unceremoniously (Mickey too), I don't see why Kairi can't. She used her keyblade from KH2-KH3ReMIND and did a lot during that period with it. That's more than a decade that we've seen her with that keyblade. Time to upgrade, especially if Kairi is to be taken seriously moving forward. Maybe they can even make it a plot point, where Riku gave her that keyblade, but now it's time for her to summon her own (could even be the Princess of Heart keyblade completed as suggested above).

SweetYetSalty

Awards

View attachment 12499
LOOK AT IT.
View attachment 12500
View attachment 12501
Now, now! It's not fair to compare any living being to the awesomeness that is manga Kairi. She is the MVP of that series lol. I can't wait for her return in the KH3 manga.

Well, she shares most of her keychains with Terra and Ven, so those should not count, and even some of those look girly (specially Fairy Star and Pixie Petal). But her exclusive keychains are indeed girly, Master's Defender being a notable exception. Stormfall's design is amazing, though. Sober and simple but stylish.
Anyway, I'm glad Aqua can equip a sturdy and threatening keyblade like the Void Gear.
So Aqua's Keyblades are kinda girly too, minus the ones she shares with Terra and Ven? Hmm, interesting enough I don't think Xion has any girly Keyblades, but then again all her gears are hand-me-downs from Sora and Roxas lol.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

And I was trying to allude to Kairi's keyblade being "girly". The flower design for the teeth are the "girly" aspect and I just think take away from the design because I love the handle being water - referencing her name and Destiny Islands.

I just think that her keyblade can get a redesign. With Riku changing his so unceremoniously (Mickey too), I don't see why Kairi can't. She used her keyblade from KH2-KH3ReMIND and did a lot during that period with it. That's more than a decade that we've seen her with that keyblade. Time to upgrade, especially if Kairi is to be taken seriously moving forward. Maybe they can even make it a plot point, where Riku gave her that keyblade, but now it's time for her to summon her own (could even be the Princess of Heart keyblade completed as suggested above).
By that logic everyone should have a new Keyblade by now, lol. But I see what you are saying somewhat.

okhi12

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I can easily see Kairi using Destiny's Embrace in a full game where she's playable (DDD 2 or whatever the next game is) like Riku did in DDD, and then Kairi replacing it in KH4.
You know, History repeating itself, not unfitting for a KH game.

Back