• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Namine Post-Re:mind?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 252753

This made me think of an odd line in Re Mind. When Demyx collects the replica body used by Dark Riku for Naminé, Riku tells him to be careful because it isn't just an empty vessel and contains 'important memories'. I can't help but wonder if those memories from Dark Riku might come up at some point. I don't know where that could lead but it seems odd to introduce the idea of the body having memories for no reason.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
This made me think of an odd line in Re Mind. When Demyx collects the replica body used by Dark Riku for Naminé, Riku tells him to be careful because it isn't just an empty vessel and contains 'important memories'. I can't help but wonder if those memories from Dark Riku might come up at some point. I don't know where that could lead but it seems odd to introduce the idea of the body having memories for no reason.
Maybe he meant Riku Replica's important memories of the love of his life - Namine? Demyx didn't want Riku's mishandling of the replica to delete Riku Replica's memories?

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
He can be a Keyblade Master and have a boy/girlfriend. Why can't Yozora or Namine be a supportive significant other to Riku? I would love to see Riku and Namine go on a journey together. I always pictured Namine in the Jiminy role for Riku or even like psychic support like Professor X in X-Men.

He can but he doesn't have to. His character does not scream whatsoever that he needs a relationship to be fulfilled and/or be happy. He's fine on his own and is centering on what he feels are his responsibilities. The Limit Cut presents this the most despite that it was shown in KHIII as a whole. He checks in on everyone and works around to find Sora. He has the support of his connections/friends.

I don't even know where you got Yozora from. Especially since he has a boo.

But then they tossed Namine in with RAX and the gang at Twilight Town without a second thought :\

Naminé literally spent the rest of her life in Twilight Town once the Castle Oblivion drama was over starting from Days to KH2. She basically lived there and has her own room at the Twilight Town mansion. The prologue of KH2 has her break into the data version of that world, helping out a Nobody, or a nonexistent being much like herself, into not going in his "death" blind. She relates to him in the fact that they are fated to disappear and return to their originals. When Roxas shared his memories with Sora in DDD, it encompassed the memories of data Twilight Town with Naminé showing in them. Sora later confirms in KHIII that Roxas shared her pain with him (along with his). The Secret Reports in III further reiterates how the data in Twilight Town is important to both Roxas' and Naminé's return.

Aside from her contacting Terra, she legit has no connection to TAV and doesn't know them. In comparison to a much more in-character ending of her living in Twilight Town, with similar individuals who have suffered the same questions and existential crisis she felt. It has being set up ever since KHII. To see her anywhere else is what wouldn't make sense to me. So no, it wasn't "without a second thought".

In fact, Isa comes off that way much more blatantly.

--------

In terms of Naminé, she's heavily implied (so far to the point of confirmation) to live in Twilight Town. She's no doubt the one studying the memories of Roxas and Xion due to them being, well, a part of Sora. Based on certain things that have caught my attention, with her Character File story (uttering a line that rings similar to Ava's) as well as the occurrences going on with KHUx (she's no longer the unique individual who apparently has powers over memories and the ability to cloak herself in the illusion of another person, both Ava and "Darkness" seem capable of this now), I feel she's connected to the next saga more than what's being shown. But that remains to be seen.

I'm hoping she isn't. Roxas, Larxene, and to a smaller extent Naminé are really what's left of me giving a shit to this nonsensical and mediocre series, and I want them benched so I can cut every string of attachment I have that ties me to it.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
He can but he doesn't have to. His character does not scream whatsoever that he needs a relationship to be fulfilled and/or be happy. He's fine on his own and is centering on what he feels are his responsibilities. The Limit Cut presents this the most despite that it was shown in KHIII as a whole. He checks in on everyone and works around to find Sora. He has the support of his connections/friends.

I didn't say that Riku needs a relationship to be fulfilled, but that is a side of Riku that we haven't seen yet. We've seen him be responsible and fight for his friends, so I think it would be interesting to see another side from Riku and get another story. Specifically the story of Riku and Namine/Yozora.

Isn't Yozora's boyfriend named Sora? Isn't that the star in The Final World?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Naminé literally spent the rest of her life in Twilight Town once the Castle Oblivion drama was over starting from Days to KH2. She basically lived there and has her own room at the Twilight Town mansion. The prologue of KH2 has her break into the data version of that world, helping out a Nobody, or a nonexistent being much like herself, into not going in his "death" blind. She relates to him in the fact that they are fated to disappear and return to their originals. When Roxas shared his memories with Sora in DDD, it encompassed the memories of data Twilight Town with Naminé showing in them. Sora later confirms in KHIII that Roxas shared her pain with him (along with his). The Secret Reports in III further reiterates how the data in Twilight Town is important to both Roxas' and Naminé's return.

Aside from her contacting Terra, she legit has no connection to TAV and doesn't know them. In comparison to a much more in-character ending of her living in Twilight Town, with similar individuals who have suffered the same questions and existential crisis she felt. It has being set up ever since KHII. To see her anywhere else is what wouldn't make sense to me. So no, it wasn't "without a second thought".

In fact, Isa comes off that way much more blatantly.

I didn't care for it. To me it just seemed like they stuck her with that gang because whatever. It felt like a total cop out for Namine to be sent away with a group of friends who are so strongly self-contained within themselves. But I admit this is largely influenced by how KH3 was presented in that barely anyone really gave Namine a second thought, let alone the folks she's now living with. At least with TAV I can pretend like she might feel something towards these people she found entirely on her own. Reminds me of Stitch lol

Anyways, you're the Namine expert around here so I'll defer to you, personal headcanons be damned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't say that Riku needs a relationship to be fulfilled, but that is a side of Riku that we haven't seen yet. We've seen him be responsible and fight for his friends, so I think it would be interesting to see another side from Riku and get another story. Specifically the story of Riku and Namine/Yozora.

The Nameless Star is a girl with ties to Yozora whose name may or may not be Sora. That's all we know.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't care for it. To me it just seemed like they stuck her with that gang because whatever. It felt like a total cop out for Namine to be sent away with a group of friends who are so strongly self-contained within themselves. But I admit this is largely influenced by how KH3 was presented in that barely anyone really gave Namine a second thought, let alone the folks she's now living with. At least with TAV I can pretend like she might feel something towards these people she found entirely on her own. Reminds me of Stitch lol

Anyways, you're the Namine expert around here so I'll defer to you, personal headcanons be damned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not a Naminé expert. I'm simply going by what the series has built up to and the comment that they threw her in there just "cause" is off.

Nonetheless, everything else is really the fault of KHIII's abysmal writing and how a character isn't shit if not in a trio apparently, so. Not much that can be done about that. Technically, no one cared that Kairi was slashed down to death either. Which was weird and anticlimactic and therefore pointless.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm not a Naminé expert. I'm simply going by what the series has built up to and the comment that they threw her in there just "cause" is off.

Nonetheless, everything else is really the fault of KHIII's abysmal writing and how a character isn't shit if not in a trio apparently, so. Not much that can be done about that. Technically, no one cared that Kairi was slashed down to death either. Which was weird and anticlimactic and therefore pointless.
Sora, Riku, and Mickey screamed and broke down in tears for Kairi when she was slaughtered by Master Xehanort! The others that showed up didn't get informed that Kairi was murdered, so how do you expect them to respond to a vicious murder if they didn't even know about it?

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Sora, Riku, and Mickey screamed and broke down in tears for Kairi when she was slaughtered by Master Xehanort! The others that showed up didn't get informed that Kairi was murdered, so how do you expect them to respond to a vicious murder if they didn't even know about it?

You mean that five second moment of Riku being angry and then nothing much after? Same with Mickey. The one that showed some real concern was Sora. Which was the point. It's called being fridged.

And they knew. Somehow. Riku was telling everyone they should seek out a way to find her but no one seems to bat an eyelash about her death in general.

Nomura knows death means nothing in this series so he probably opted for no emotional catharsis.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Most of the cast barely knows Kairi. The only ones who should have cared on a personal level would be Sora, Riku, Lea, and maybe Aqua? Granted Riku should have shown more emotion after Kairi's death but then again they didn't talk all KH3. I don't know what's Lea's excuse. Too busy making jokes about plot points to care about Kairi being killed. Even motherly Aqua didn't care.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
You mean that five second moment of Riku being angry and then nothing much after? Same with Mickey. The one that showed some real concern was Sora. Which was the point. It's called being fridged.

And they knew. Somehow. Riku was telling everyone they should seek out a way to find her but no one seems to bat an eyelash about her death in general.

Nomura knows death means nothing in this series so he probably opted for no emotional catharsis.
You said it yourself, Riku is serious and responsible. He wasn't going to set up an hour long vigil and therapy session over Kairi's death as Kingdom Hearts is being summoned and the end of the world is happening.

Kairi wasn't "fridged". Her death doesn't move Sora's plot forward, as he was going to fight Master Xehanort whether she died or not. I also suspect that there's a reason why Master Xehanort selected Kairi to be kidnapped/killed over any of the other guardians. It'll probably be explained in-depth in the next few games.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I always pictured Namine in the Jiminy role for Riku or even like psychic support like Professor X in X-Men.
I always had this picture of Namine working with Yensid at the Mysterious Tower.

I'm really confused here. Isn't Yozora a boy? Isn't the star from The Final World a female character? Yozora has a boyfriend?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I always had this picture of Namine working with Yensid at the Mysterious Tower.

I'm really confused here. Isn't Yozora a boy? Isn't the star from The Final World a female character? Yozora has a boyfriend?
Namine working with Yensid would actually be a really good use of Namine. But I fear that would separate her even more from everyone else and I really want to see Namine making friends or at least present, instead of always hidden away.

Yozora is a boy. I was talking about Yozora and Riku dating possibly, if Namine/Riku was confirmed cancelled by Nomura. I also thought that Nameless Star in The Final World was a boy named Sora. I think everyone is assuming his/her gender, but remember that Yozora said that he doesn't actually look like that and he was also confused at Sora presenting as he did. Someone else mentioned that Yozora's "boo" was the Nameless Star/Sora, who I assume is a boy.

D

Deleted member 252753

Yozora is a boy. I was talking about Yozora and Riku dating possibly, if Namine/Riku was confirmed cancelled by Nomura. I also thought that Nameless Star in The Final World was a boy named Sora. I think everyone is assuming his/her gender, but remember that Yozora said that he doesn't actually look like that and he was also confused at Sora presenting as he did. Someone else mentioned that Yozora's "boo" was the Nameless Star/Sora, who I assume is a boy.
The Nameless Star is definitely a girl. She (her heart) is voiced by a woman and Sora calls her a girl when he meets Yozora. She could be called Sora but the way Yozora talks about Sora ("I was told to save Sora") it doesn't sound like he's looking for his girlfriend/friend/relation but carrying out a mission. I guess he could have forgotten his connection with the Star but someone else told him to save her and then she could still be called Sora but it seems unlikely to me and is definitely not certain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The Nameless Star is definitely a girl. She (her heart) is voiced by a woman and Sora calls her a girl when he meets Yozora. She could be called Sora but the way Yozora talks about Sora ("I was told to save Sora") it doesn't sound like he's looking for his girlfriend/friend/relation but carrying out a mission. I guess he could have forgotten his connection with the Star but someone else told him to save her and then she could still be called Sora but it seems unlikely to me and is definitely not certain.
But what if Yozora is a female in the real world and The Nameless Star is a male in the real world? Remember that Yozora said that's not how he actually looks. For all we know, Yozora is the Player character from KHUX so gender is always changing? Or maybe Yozora is an avatar of whoever is controlling him?

D

Deleted member 252753

But what if Yozora is a female in the real world and The Nameless Star is a male in the real world? Remember that Yozora said that's not how he actually looks. For all we know, Yozora is the Player character from KHUX so gender is always changing? Or maybe Yozora is an avatar of whoever is controlling him?
Well when you encounter the Nameless Star in the Final World they are just a heart and so I would imagine their heart would present their true gender.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
You said it yourself, Riku is serious and responsible. He wasn't going to set up an hour long vigil and therapy session over Kairi's death as Kingdom Hearts is being summoned and the end of the world is happening.

Kairi wasn't "fridged". Her death doesn't move Sora's plot forward, as he was going to fight Master Xehanort whether she died or not. I also suspect that there's a reason why Master Xehanort selected Kairi to be kidnapped/killed over any of the other guardians. It'll probably be explained in-depth in the next few games.

You don't need an hour long vigil or session to show how much seeing someone you care about and have known for more than ten years since childhood means to you as she's slashed to death right in front of your face. Obviously no one cared that there's a looming threat because Riku is saying they should go to Yensid's place.

Seriously, the more I analyze the KGB cut scenes and on, the more bad it gets.

Kairi was fridged.

The term (sometimes formed as "fridging") was popularized by comic book writer Gail Simone through her website "Women in Refrigerators." On that site, Simone compiled a list of instances of female comic book characters who were killed off as a plot device. The term came to be used more broadly, over time, to refer to any character who is targeted by an antagonist who has them killed off, abused, raped, incapacitated, de-powered, or brainwashed for the sole purpose of affecting another character, motivating them to take action.

While it is strictly true that Tropes Are Not Bad, this one, especially as a catchphrase, is often given a very negative connotation as it is all too often a hallmark of supremely lazy writing—using the death of a character as "cheap anger" for the protagonist, and devaluing the life of that character in the process, instead of giving the villain something actually interesting to do that can involve all three characters and more emotions than simple anger and angst.

Most of the cast barely knows Kairi. The only ones who should have cared on a personal level would be Sora, Riku, Lea, and maybe Aqua? Granted Riku should have shown more emotion after Kairi's death but then again they didn't talk all KH3. I don't know what's Lea's excuse. Too busy making jokes about plot points to care about Kairi being killed. Even motherly Aqua didn't care.

Basically.

There's more to say about KHIII's writing, but that's for another thread.

D

Deleted member 252753

You don't need an hour long vigil or session to show how much seeing someone you care about and have known for more than ten years since childhood means to you as she's slashed to death right in front of your face. Obviously no one cared that there's a looming threat because Riku is saying they should go to Yensid's place.
Riku doesn't actually suggest going to Yensid's place until after the threat is dealt with. His immediate thought after Kairi's death is how to stop Xehanort (after failing to attack him). I agree with you about Kairi being fridged and it not being written we but I don't think Riku's reaction is too unbelievable, particularly for him. It can happen that when someone close dies it doesn't really hit you for a while and Riku is a practical, collected person so I can imagine him focusing on the task at hand. And even when he suggests going to Yensid's tower it's to figure out a way to retrieve Kairi. Just because you don't immediately burst into tears doesn't mean you don't care. It would be better if there was more indication he really did care though.

Tobi

Awards
I also suspect that there's a reason why Master Xehanort selected Kairi to be kidnapped/killed over any of the other guardians. It'll probably be explained in-depth in the next few games.
How about MX just wanted to kidnap the weakest member of the Guardians? There are things which have to be better explained, but this detail certainly not. The main villain simply acted strategic.
And before you throw in Lea, even if he was downed at that moment, he is still a lot more experienced and through is heavier and stronger body much more difficult to hold on than some smaller and frailer girl with little to no experience.

In addition to Namine, I can totally understand why she was send to Twilight Town, with the strongest reason, that a friend, Roxas, is there. Having a room is also nice, sure, but after having lived in so much isolation, I can strongly see why she would look after a place where she can interact with other people, at best with familar faces around.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Riku doesn't actually suggest going to Yensid's place until after the threat is dealt with. His immediate thought after Kairi's death is how to stop Xehanort (after failing to attack him). I agree with you about Kairi being fridged and it not being written we but I don't think Riku's reaction is too unbelievable, particularly for him. It can happen that when someone close dies it doesn't really hit you for a while and Riku is a practical, collected person so I can imagine him focusing on the task at hand. And even when he suggests going to Yensid's tower it's to figure out a way to retrieve Kairi. Just because you don't immediately burst into tears doesn't mean you don't care. It would be better if there was more indication he really did care though.

Riku showed more emotion and concern when Sora was simply in danger, not only here, but in other games. Riku is very much capable of acting like he just lost someone in front of his very eyes. Not some five second "grrr" only to then act like nothing happened. Where's the sadness, where's the lingering effect where we see him struggling with what they just witnessed. There was nothing of the sort. How about Aqua speaking out and showing worry. No one mentions that Naminé got offed with her either.

Axel/Lea? He got his friends back so that means he's sucked into the RAX blackhole the same way Roxas was in this game despite that they've made connections outside Xion. So I guess he forgot he was supposed to care about Kairi.

This is the problem with KHIII. Lack of personal character resolutions because it was a check off list Nomura wanted to get over with rather than execute well with build up. Got the sappy trio reunions done, tear, tear, cry, cry, awesome. Returned characters, great, that was done.

Oh crap, people are mad that I fridged Kairi and didn't have other Guardians of Light actually interact with other characters outside their trio? Nani? Well, here's the DLC focusing on Kairi having purpose, and uh, oh, let's have the Guardians quickly exchange shallow quips during the middle of a fight, that should satisfy the audience enough (I will say this, Nomura definitely knows the fanbase is passive with his shenanigans).

All the characters felt like they were one-dimensionally just there to finish the saga, lifeless to anything that doesn't happen beyond their trios and then relegated to boring chess pieces once those reunions were over with. No interpersonal closure with their other bonds or issues. Skip to the beach where everyone's happy and having fun and all them are together without us knowing how it got even got there. We're just supposed to accept that it did.

In addition to Namine, I can totally understand why she was send to Twilight Town, with the strongest reason, that a friend, Roxas, is there. Having a room is also nice, sure, but after having lived in so much isolation, I can strongly see why she would look after a place where she can interact with other people, at best with familar faces around.

Exactly.

Roxas, Kairi, and Riku Replica were really the only ones that were shown to care for her in that game. Kairi with her introductory yet beautiful words concerning Naminé's existence...that didn't go anywhere. Roxas missing Naminé (Sora confirmed) and flashing over Sora as he gazes at her window in the Twilight Mansion, seemingly sad (or Sora acted seemingly sad as he processed what Roxas was feeling). That also didn't go anywhere. Riku Replica we all know, even though I heavily disagree with how it was handled because it romanticizes brainwashing. And then Naminé is seen with Xion at the beach. So really, she's where she's supposed to be.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Axel/Lea? He got his friends back so that means he's sucked into the RAX blackhole the same way Roxas was in this game despite that they've made connections outside Xion. So I guess he forgot he was supposed to care about Kairi.
LOL, why are you soley blaming Xion for that? Roxas had flashbacks of HPO and still has ice cream with them at the end, it's not like they didn't address that. Axel's story with Saix, his old friend, reached closure as well. How did their connections with Xion make them a blackhole? She doesn't even appear until 90% of the game is over and outside that one flashback before Toy Box she's ignored. Namine got way more attention from the guardians then Xion did, they just couldn't get a body to her during a war with the Xehanorts. Riku and Sora even wish they could help Namine over fighting Xehanort, but that came first.

This argument of Xion ruining Axel and Roxas's relationships makes absolutely no sense to me. Yeah Lea not caring about Kairi is bad writing for sure and I joke about how he has his real friends back so why care about her. I mean if you are going to blame Xion for that then Roxas is just as guilty.

Back