• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nomura and Disney+

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Okay, I want to make some clarifications this is not another thread of the rumored Disney+ KH series, but mainly on how will Nomura and his KH development team will utilize Disney+ and whether they can choose films they want to appear in future KH games.

Disney+ launched in Japan almost 3 weeks ago (June 11) having a massive library of Disney content (both original and the acquired content (Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios)) on their service. Although it's too early to know wether Nomura and his Team will have Disney+ accounts to watch film and content. I think one positive is that it can allow Nomura to go through the massive library of Disney movies (animated and Live-action) including the most obscure ones and perhaps decide which one they can utilize as worlds for future KH games, I mean Tron which was a fairly obscure film managed to be in Kingdom Hearts II because it was either Nomura or the developer's favorite film and got included as a world. On another hand, they can perhaps choose some Disney+ original Live-action films as potential worlds in a future KH game, of course, that's asking too much since the majority of the Disney+ original films aren't in the level of Tron or Pirates of the Caribbean and some of them are just remakes of original films, but hey Nomura wasn't just restricted to just Theatrical films (Live-action, Disney animation, Pixar) as they did add the Three Musketeers World (Mickey, Donald, Goofy version) in Dream Drop Distance and Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas).

Of course, that's just subjective and an Apples to Oranges situation which we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but hopefully Nomura and his team if they get Disney+ they can decide which films (especially the more obscure films they haven't watched or looked at) they can have as worlds for Future KH games.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Pretty certain they already have access to the Archives on top of their early screening perks. They have an infinite library at their (relative) fingertips already.

I mean, D+ could definitely inspire the team's world choices, but I doubt it'll have THAT much impact beyond "oh we all watched this film together while we were WFH and the staff really clicked with it" or Nomura saying "I watched one of my old childhood favs recently and got inspired"

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Pretty certain they already have access to the Archives on top of their early screening perks. They have an infinite library at their (relative) fingertips already.

I mean, D+ could definitely inspire the team's world choices, but I doubt it'll have THAT much impact beyond "oh we all watched this film together while we were WFH and the staff really clicked with it" or Nomura saying "I watched one of my old childhood favs recently and got inspired"
Honestly the way Nomura and his team decide which Disney worlds they want in the specific KH game is subjective and very wishy-washy cause literally it comes down to the following:
  • Which Disney worlds Nomura and the team for the specific KH game
  • The themes that the specific returning Disney worlds based on that Disney or Pixar film have in common to the theme of the specific KH game (e.g. Friendship, Trust, Connections, Promises, etc.) - Which is debatable
  • The Story the world can offer
  • The gameplay value and the environment that the world can offer.
  • Variety
  • Disney giving Requests and suggestions to which Films they want to see added in the game to Nomura and the team (e.g. Big Hero 6 in KH3)
I feel that some of them if not all of them felt questionable in some of the KH games and don't seem to align with the themes of the specific KH game and were just added either by fan demand (e.g. Halloween Town, Hunchback) or being just "there" in the KH game like The Hunchback of Notre Dame world felt more like a KH1 or KH2 world, mainly the latter given that half of the worlds in KH2 consisted of films from the Disney Renaissance (e.g. Lion King, Mulan, etc.) and the worlds like Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons and Pride Lands were just worlds added in the game because their worlds were destroyed by the Heartless in the first game and the latter two worlds had Simba and Mushu who first started out as summons for Sora in the Kingdom Hearts game, not because those films share the same themes to KH2.

Monster's Inc. should have been a world earlier in the KH series like Dream Drop Distance or BBS, mainly the former instead of KH3 cause I was expecting a Pixar world to appear even before KH3, especially Monster's along with the fact it would've meshed well with DDD flowmotion, plus I was at the point on almost giving up on Monster's Inc. being included as world in the series as it was nothing but a Pipe dream in the same vein as the Jungle Book world which hasn't been added to the KH series, prior to the December 2017 leaks. Even I'm a little salty about Wreck-It Ralph not included as a world in KH3. Personally, I felt Dark Riku felt more fitting for Wreck-it Ralph than Big Hero 6 imao, given that the former film had more mentioning of Data which was prevalent in that film and especially in the Tron franchise than Big Hero 6.

Finally, it will depend on how far in development Nomura and his team are on the Disney worlds that they want to use for the next KH game and even KHIV and whether or not they are interested in putting that film in, because I've seen several recent Disney films (mainly the animated films) that came out during the development of the specific KH games, but none of them are chosen or will get appear in that KH game until 5-8 or 10-15 years after they were released in theaters, either because Nomura and his team decided on the worlds they have chosen, they didn't bother watching the movies and choose to ignore them and wait until the next KH game to revisit using these specific films as worlds. There were some exceptions to this like Tron: Legacy (2010) being incorporated in Dream Drop Distance (2 years later) and Big Hero 6 (2014) in Kingdom Hearts III (4-5 years later).

Last edited:
Back