• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Chance of KH1/2 Remake?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Does anyone think there is any possibility of KH1 or 2 being remade in the Unreal engine? I know KH1 is basically not possible due to Deep Jungle, but if Disney were somehow able to get that in... would Square go so far? With Disney being the giant it is today, compared to 20 years ago, a modernized KH1 would showcase some of Disney's classic films to a newer generation and get newer fans demanding the latest Disney films in the next KH game.

I liken this to Disney's live-action films being a gateway to reintroduce classic films to new audiences. A remade KH1 and KH2 could bring in a whole new generation of gamers to the KH series (without the decade plus wait for the finale of the saga).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They just remade it in 2013. KH1 was rebuilt from the ground up, of course using copied data but the original assets were lost years ago because SE had very poor archiving procedures up to the early 2000s. They had to recreate nearly all of the assets from scratch.

That said, I do get what you mean. I don’t think it will happen right now, and if it happens it will not be a remake like you expect. It will be like FF7R because neither Nomura or SE’s development philosophy can accept just a simple remake. It would have new story that would be relevant to the entire franchise.

D

Deleted member 252753

Personally, even if SE were to remake any games right now I would rather they turn UX and DR into fun to play accessible games, though I know that's very unlikely. Incidentally those would show off classic film worlds too. As far as KH1/KH2 are concerned, I don't see as much need to remake them as imo they still hold up fairly well and are fun to play as part of the compilations.

AegisXIII

Awards
Kingdom Hearts games still hold up great with today's standards, especially in the graphics department.
Of course it is not gorgeous shiny Unreal Engine stuff, but if you think about it, they were tackling old motion pictures movies, so this old flat 3d style was pefrect for them. Olympus world felt a bit off for me in KH3. Unreal Engine 3 is perfect for CGI movies, and old graphics for motion pictures drawn by hand.

I do not think those games deserve a remake. What this serie managed to accomplish is an extraordinary level of consistency across games in term of direction (not narration, lol).
The only thing I would say deserve a bit of work is:
- a list of objectives in kh1 (so that people are less confused with wtf they are supposed to do in a world)
- a better tutorial for chain of memories (which is a fun game poorly explained)

Also I played days and re:coded on my old ds I those two deserve a real remake. Cutscenes compilation is not enough.

If I were to bet on something, I would say that next gen will see the rise of another compilation, with playable days and recoded as well as enhanced graphics (like they did with xenoblade).

But this is just my theory.

2 quid is good

Awards
It will be like FF7R because neither Nomura or SE’s development philosophy can accept just a simple remake. It would have new story that would be relevant to the entire franchise.
See I've never had too much of an issue with FF7R but the idea of something similar happening to KH1 or 2 absolutely annoys me, and all of a sudden I totally get why people take offence with FF7R XD

Chie

Awards
I don't know why the games that already exist aren't good enough (hell I think they're much better visually than KH3), remaking them in any way other than the HD ports we have would introduce all kinds of inane complications to the series as a continuous work. Kingdom Hearts 1 is Kingdom Hearts 1.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
See I've never had too much of an issue with FF7R but the idea of something similar happening to KH1 or 2 absolutely annoys me, and all of a sudden I totally get why people take offence with FF7R XD

Lol. Imagine, we think it is gonna be a normal remaster but in pretty UE4/5 graphics, then Young Xehanort appears in front of Sora like a ghost everywhere. Riku is evil earlier in the game. Disney worlds are live action versions (I hate that @Antifa Lockhart put this idea out into the universe ugh).

Reference to FF7R Final Boss Spoilers Young Xehanort appears at the end as the final boss instead of SoD.

okhi12

Awards
Lol. Imagine, we think it is gonna be a normal remaster but in pretty UE4/5 graphics, then Young Xehanort appears in front of Sora like a ghost everywhere. Riku is evil earlier in the game. Disney worlds are live action versions (I hate that @Antifa Lockhart put this idea out into the universe ugh).

Reference to FF7R Final Boss Spoilers Young Xehanort appears at the end as the final boss instead of SoD.
At least that would still be the full game... sadly, it would be more like he appears at the end of KH 1 Remake Part 1: Destiny Islands as the final boss instead of Darkside

Awards
If they took the time to completely remake those games in a new engine, after already remaking them for the remixes, I feel like they might as well give it the FF7 Remake treatment and add new mechanics, cutscenes and bosses.

As much as I love those games as they are now, I can't say I'd be excited to replay the same game just with unreal4 graphics

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
In 15 years or so maybe. I think both KH1 and FFX will get re-made at some point in time.

the red monster

Awards
There's a fan project going on with KH2 remake on UE4 (aside from cutscenes of course)

but an official one? i doubt we getting it anytime soon.
imo only KH1 truly needs a remake, that camera control is freaking terrible and everything about it feels outdated unlike KH2.

JTD95

They just remade it in 2013. KH1 was rebuilt from the ground up, of course using copied data but the original assets were lost years ago because SE had very poor archiving procedures up to the early 2000s. They had to recreate nearly all of the assets from scratch.

I've never quite understood this claim from SE. If the game was built from the ground up wouldn't it be near impossible to get all the cutscenes to be 1 to 1 with those from ps2 KH1? Not to mention pointless? If they built it from the ground up couldn't they have done away with a lot of the fishfaces?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Can you imagine all the references they'd drop in a KH1 remake? They'd be leaving hints of the existence of TAV everywhere. Like Cinderella and Hercules would think of the Keyblade wielders they met before when seeing Sora's Keyblade. Riku would very subtly reference Terra and Xehanort when talking to Sora and Kairi about leaving the islands. Hints of Roxas and Namine being created after Sora stabs himself. Ventus might even react to certain events within Sora's heart like Kairi does. The secret Xemnas fight would clearly steal samples of Sora's memories for Xion's construction. Hades and Hook would already be familiar with the Keyblade. Young Xehanort popping up, Foreteller foreshadowing, Subject X hints in the corner of a room, the Heartless versions of Organization XIII. It would be madness. Part of me kinda wants to see this version actually :p

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
A Full KH1 remake is a tantalizing prospect. The game is the most coherent story in the series but is the most archaic mechanically. Worlds are small & a headache to explore, like half the enemies have this same red-light/green-light gimmick where you just can't hit them if they feel like it, flying enemies near ledges you don't wanna fall down rarely have an easy solution, too many bosses love playing keepaway that makes fighting them a chore.

But there's no guarantee that a remake would be able to retain the same magic & charm of the original. Nomura then is different from Nomura now & I heard the original scenario writer hasn't worked on the series since.

I've never quite understood this claim from SE. If the game was built from the ground up wouldn't it be near impossible to get all the cutscenes to be 1 to 1 with those from ps2 KH1? Not to mention pointless? If they built it from the ground up couldn't they have done away with a lot of the fishfaces?
They clearly reverse engineered the on-disc data & made tweeks where they could.

Last edited:

Hedginka

Awards
Can you imagine all the references they'd drop in a KH1 remake? They'd be leaving hints of the existence of TAV everywhere. Like Cinderella and Hercules would think of the Keyblade wielders they met before when seeing Sora's Keyblade. Riku would very subtly reference Terra and Xehanort when talking to Sora and Kairi about leaving the islands. Hints of Roxas and Namine being created after Sora stabs himself. Ventus might even react to certain events within Sora's heart like Kairi does. The secret Xemnas fight would clearly steal samples of Sora's memories for Xion's construction. Hades and Hook would already be familiar with the Keyblade. Young Xehanort popping up, Foreteller foreshadowing, Subject X hints in the corner of a room, the Heartless versions of Organization XIII. It would be madness. Part of me kinda wants to see this version actually :p

The possibilities behind this excite and terrify me. I utterly love the idea of future games being referenced or foreshadowed in the initial entries, as it would tie the intricacies of the KH universe together. But at the same time, if for example, KH2 suddenly included plot threads from the mobile games, my eyes would be blood red. And it's something I could absolutely see Tetsuya do.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The possibilities behind this excite and terrify me. I utterly love the idea of future games being referenced or foreshadowed in the initial entries, as it would tie the intricacies of the KH universe together. But at the same time, if for example, KH2 suddenly included plot threads from the mobile games, my eyes would be blood red. And it's something I could absolutely see Tetsuya do.
I didn't even dive into KH2. They'd drop hints of Maleficent time traveling. Vague hints of Roxas and Axel having another ice cream buddy. Ventus's heart probably reacting to Xemnas, because he looks like Terra. Xigbar would be in full Luxu troll mode. Minnie would take credit for banishing Pete. Donald and Goofy would know Yen Sid's tower moves. The mansion in Twilight Town would house so many foreshadowing events. Kairi getting her Keyblade in a different manner. Pence would recognize Axel. More Foreteller and Subject X teasing. Mickey would think of Aqua every now and again and debate if now was the time to save her or not.

Back