• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nintendo Enthusiast: No plans for Switch ports for Kingdom Hearts games, other Nomura games possible

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

In an interview with Nintendo EnthusiastKINGDOM HEARTS series director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that there are currently no plans to port the previous KINGDOM HEARTS games to the Nintendo Switch.

Square Enix had investigated porting existing games to the Nintendo Switch, but found that it was "technologically difficult" to accomplish. Despite the limitations, Nomura finds the console to be very "appealing" and "has always to do something on the console". Nomura has also stated that it is possible for other games he's worked on to come to the Switch, but did not specify which ones were likely.

Read Nintendo Enthusiast's feature of KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory!

Thanks to forum user MATGSY for the tip!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
@MATGSY I saw those articles earlier but everybody was so mad and we were busy trying to get the others done first. Thank you for sharing because it reminded me I needed to do it lol

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I'm surprised by this. Even though the file sizes are bloated to hell on these collections, I thought they'd be able to make it work.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm surprised by this. Even though the file sizes are bloated to hell on these collections, I thought they'd be able to make it work.

I imagine there were issues with the processor. That was always going to be a hurdle if they weren't going to spend the money and time to try and make it work.

Awards
Meh. These collections are already readily available on multiple other consoles. Better spending resources on actually advancing the series instead of just recreating/rereleasing/reporting the same titles over and over for every single console.

Hopefully they also don't make a Switch exclusive title and stick to just streamlining things.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I had one of my brothers say he was waiting on the Switch Version of KH3. All I can say now is "Told you so." I didn't think they'd be able to do it due to having to d/l it to get around small carts. And yes, the processor.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I want to mention that I'm fairly certain Nomura is a liar and it'll happen one day, just not right now. This is the same man who has said stunning statements including "Verum Rex isn't "Versus"" then he directed a frame by frame remake of a Versus XIII cutscene for "Yozora", "Namine is not Kairi's Nobody" back in the COM days just to then reveal Namine is Kairi's Nobody, and that KH3D would not be ported to PS4 but lo and behold it got ported lol.

I had one of my brothers say he was waiting on the Switch Version of KH3. All I can say now is "Told you so." I didn't think they'd be able to do it due to having to d/l it to get around small carts. And yes, the processor.

lol I hope he's playing it now because that was a silly wait xD

Cumguardian69

Awards
Yikes. At the very least they could run 30fps versions of the non UE4 games and heavily tone down PPE and alpha effects for 0.2/3, but oh well. They'd rather spend r&d on more gacha games and sequelbaiting that goes nowhere. R this franchise and Square Enix too.

Chie

Awards
I've never understood portbegging in general and they've already ported these games to like three other things. I'm glad they aren't gonna spend more time doing that. Apparently "continuing to make the series" is objectionable and insane to some people, though.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

If that's the case then split 1.5 & 2.5 back up & cut the useless movies.

Meh. These collections are already readily available on multiple other consoles. Better spending resources on actually advancing the series instead of just recreating/rereleasing/reporting the same titles over and over for every single console.

Hopefully they also don't make a Switch exclusive title and stick to just streamlining things.
Porting is typically outsourced. The main KH teams can work on future games while another studio handles ports.

Parasite Eve,Racing Lagoon and FF9 would be so cool to see on the switch. Since they are interested in bringing older games on to the consoles.
FF9 is already on Switch.

I've never understood portbegging in general and they've already ported these games to like three other things. I'm glad they aren't gonna spend more time doing that. Apparently "continuing to make the series" is objectionable and insane to some people, though.

More ports do not impact development of new game as they're done by different staff. & I miss portable KH, ok? I miss that we no longer get experiences like BBS or DDD & have to settle for rhythm games or mobile gatchacrap.

Having this series we love on more platforms so more people get to enjoy it in the way they prefer is a GOOD thing. Nobody should have to go out of their way to buy a console they weren't otherwise planning to get just to play KH. It shouldn't end with Switch, how long have PC gamers been denied? This whole damn franchise should've been up on Steam ages ago.

Chie

Awards
I miss that we no longer get experiences like BBS or DDD & have to settle for rhythm games or mobile gatchacrap.
Me too, but a copypaste of Kh1.5+2.5 isn't going to change that all avenues for mid-tier development have been slowly eroded out of the console gaming industry.

Blackrazor187

Awards
Website
www.rogueotakugamer.com
If that's the case then split 1.5 & 2.5 back up & cut the useless movies.

Porting is typically outsourced. The main KH teams can work on future games while another studio handles ports.

FF9 is already on Switch.

More ports do not impact development of new game as they're done by different staff. & I miss portable KH, ok? I miss that we no longer get experiences like BBS or DDD & have to settle for rhythm games or mobile gatchacrap.

Having this series we love on more platforms so more people get to enjoy it in the way they prefer is a GOOD thing. Nobody should have to go out of their way to buy a console they weren't otherwise planning to get just to play KH. It shouldn't end with Switch, how long have PC gamers been denied? This whole damn franchise should've been up on Steam ages ago.

I must be living on a rock cause i never really see copies of it anywhere except for online.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
To be honest, with the data suggesting that many consumers own a Switch and another console it seems redundant to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release the ReMixes.

If anything, they should re-release I.5, II.5 and II.8 all together.

Personally, I'm not bummed by this statement. I'm personally not expecting KH ReMixes on Switch, but if it happens, cool.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
As for Shadowneko, he professes to hate Sony these days due to some mess with the PS3.

..well, I don't hate any company, Sony did a dirty with that but I would rather go where my games are. :) I'll proly get a ps5 when there's enough native games to make it worth my while, proly not at launch tho. ^^

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I miss portable KH, ok? I miss that we no longer get experiences like BBS or DDD & have to settle for rhythm games or mobile gatchacrap.

Kingdom Hearts III literally came out last year and ReMIND came out THIS year. Have we gotten so demanding that we can't even remember how long the wait between any kind of game content used to be? I haven't paid a cent for Dark Road and I'm in the upper 30 levels and have completed all the story quests and it came out this year! People have been wanting a Rhythm game for years and years, no one's settling for anything.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts III literally came out last year and ReMIND came out THIS year. Have we gotten so demanding that we can't even remember how long the wait between any kind of game content used to be? I haven't paid a cent for Dark Road and I'm in the upper 30 levels and have completed all the story quests and it came out this year! People have been wanting a Rhythm game for years and years, no one's settling for anything.
& it's been 8 years since DDD. My point still stands.

Chie

Awards
I still don't understand what your "point" has anything to do with ports of the same games

Back