• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kairi: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
she kinda is literally the most important Girl and played a part in Kh1 without it being forced, compared to the other Girls at least.
Everything about Kairi is forced, imo. I think the only other female character that may have a better shot at fitting that word is Xion, simply referring to how she was forced into Roxas' story needlessly. But at least once you get past that aspect of her existence within the narrative, the character herself's actions and dialogue at least feel genuine. There is nothing forced about Namine, Larxene, or Aqua.

Somnus cealum

Awards
Everything about Kairi is forced, imo. I think the only other female character that may have a better shot at fitting that word is Xion, simply referring to how she was forced into Roxas' story needlessly. But at least once you get past that aspect of her existence within the narrative, the character herself's actions at least feel genuine. There is nothing forced about Namine, Larxene, or Aqua.
Yeah i feel like kairi is forced too. idk y but i agree with xion too, how she is a part of kairi in a way where we needed her alive. well namine needed to put back sora's memories so yes she was needed. but elerna?larxene is just someone is not as forced like the rest of the girls in kh. and olette too.

Foxycian

Awards
Everything about Kairi is forced, imo. I think the only other female character that may have a better shot at fitting that word is Xion, simply referring to how she was forced into Roxas' story needlessly. But at least once you get past that aspect of her existence within the narrative, the character herself's actions and dialogue at least feel genuine. There is nothing forced about Namine, Larxene, or Aqua.
Kairi Played a part in Kh1 being a princess of heart she was important in the first game and being a princess of heart gives her a significant role, Xion was only relevant in Days and not the series at all, and Aqua wasn’t that relevant in bbs like many fans claim she is

as much as I love Xion the 358/2days didn’t really need to exist, but I still like Xion and I believe she deserves to exist

Aqua can be removed from birth by sleep and the story would be mostly the same with minor changes.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I understand that Aqua bothers you, but nothing about that character is forced (at least not any more than BbS in its entirety feels forced). The entire resolution of BbS revolves around her. She keeps Terranort in the Realm of Light, is the reason Ventus can't be found by Xehanort / Xemnas, created Castle Oblivion, gave Kairi the power she needed to end up on Destiny Islands later, was the major reason Terra went dark because he was jealous of her having become a KM, etc. And she becomes one of the seven lights in KH3--equivalent to Kairi's relevance as one of the seven PoH in 1, no?

Besides, the word "forced" means more than simply a character's role in and of itself. It also refers to the delivery and depiction of a character's role in the story. Yes, Kairi is one of the seven PoH. She is a necessary McGuffin in that game, but does she elevate the game in any way within that role? Let’s put it this way: When the tear rolls down Aqua's cheek at the end of BbS, I cry. When Namine smiles at Roxas through Kairi in the ending KH2 cinematic, I cry. When Xion fades away after Roxas defeats her, I cry. Even when Larxene dies in CoM, I feel some kinda way about that scene—not pity exactly, more disturbed. When Kairi gets burst into a million pieces of glass in 3, I feel nothing. The story clearly wants us to believe Sora is extremely affected--and perhaps wants the player to be affected likewise--to up the ante going into the climax, but it didn't impact me at all. I think my only reaction was, "Why did she turn to glass???"

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
I understand that Aqua's mere existence bothers you,
No I said many times it’s her fans that I Don’t like not the character, I simply don’t like the majority of Aqua fans that I ran into the past 10 years bunch of simps and white knights in general, I know there are many good Aqua fans but unfortunately I only ran into the bad ones

but nothing about that character is forced (at least not moreso than BbS in its entirety feels forced).
can you prove me wrong and that she is actually as equally important as her friends? I’m an open minded person if you provide proof then I’m willing to accept, also to me all three are still equally protagonists just by being playable and involved in Sora Riku and Kairi‘s lives but the other two are still more important in birth by sleep then Aqua

The entire resolution of BbS revolves around her. She keeps Terranort in the Realm of Light, is the reason Ventus can't be found by Xehanort / Xemnas, created Castle Oblivion, gave Kairi the power she needed to end up on Destiny Islands later, was the major reason Terra went dark because he was jealous of her having become a KM, etc.
1. I mean I know how much you like aqua and maybe hate the other two (which is fine everyone has different opinions) but seriously? Bbs wasn’t about her at all, it was about the trio as a whole but mostly in order it was Terra ventus and Xehanort followed by vanitas while Aqua sits tied in last place with Eraqus since her role in the story is just Minor and not as relevant to the plot like Her friends, she didn’t even need to fight Terranort, he was already in radiant garden and had amnesia and Ansem the wise was on his way with Braig to pick him up, they could literally continue the story just like that, what did aqua achieve in this fight? Oh right getting herself trapped in the realm of darkness and Terranort is back to having amnesia, again what was the point of this fight?

2. Giving Kairi the power and making Castle oblivion, yea that was her most important moments however, let’s not forget the Castle oblivion part honestly wasn’t about her but mostly about Ventus, she just hides ven there which is why the organization bother to go there in the first place

3. The “Giving Kairi the power” to end up on the island, thing is Aqua wouldn’t even be out there journeying in the first place and give Kairi the power if it weren’t for master Xehanort and vanitas unleashing unversed everywhere to lure Ventus away from home, but still won’t deny her achievements she gave Kairi the power to be with Sora and riku

4. where did it say that terra was jealous in bbs? And even if you assume he was, He still hated the fact that his father figure saw darkness in him and didn’t accept him, anyone would be bitter about failing an exam they prepared for a very long time

Besides, the word "forced" means more than simply a character's role in itself. It also refers to the delivery and depiction of a character's role in the story. Yes, Kairi is one of the seven PoH. She is a necessary McGuffin in that game, but does she elevate the game in any way within that role? Let’s put it this way: When the tear rolls down Aqua's cheek at the end of BbS, I cry. When Namine smiles at Roxas through Kairi in the ending KH2 cinematic, I cry. When Xion fades away after Roxas defeats her, I cry. Even when Larxene dies in CoM, I feel some kinda way about that scene—not pity exactly. When Kairi gets burst into a million pieces of glass in 3, I feel nothing. The story clearly wants us to believe Sora is extremely affected--and perhaps want the observer to be affected likewise--to up the ante going into the climax, but it didn't impact me at all. I think my only reaction was, "Why did she turn to glass???"
Umm I don’t know what to say to this but cry to whoever makes you emotional I guess, I didn’t cry about Kairi when she died tbh it wasn’t that impactful

Aqua Role and importance was minor in birth by sleep (her true story didn’t began until 0.2) it was in 0.2 and kh3 where you can say she is involved/relevant but not birth by sleep

1. Her bbs Story isn’t a big part of the main story, her story (basically similar to Kh1 Sora) mostly all Disney stuff nothing major, she barely even have a connection with the main villain

2. 50% of her boss fights are not original and just Rehash from terra and Ventus boss fights
Magic mirror
Trinity Armor
Vanitas
Zack
Braig
Vanitas X-Blade
Terranort

3. the least to have development in birth by sleep and doesn’t have a story other then where are my friends, why is she sad? Cause her friends, why is she mad cause her friends, why is she happy? Cause her friends...

4. And few scenes in birth by sleep of her feel forced in at the wrong place and time, it just feels like they didn’t know where to add them and what role to give her

Skip to 5:20 and tell me does this scene make sense to you? Cause clearly it doesn’t make sense, it doesn’t add up, the three said they were going back why all of a sudden Aqua is back to star gazing again? Feels forced and felt like it was only added in the last minute of development

Also Skip to 11:20, it just doesn’t add up again, Ven chases after terra in 10:18 which is a while ago, aqua and Eraqus are still chatting then all of a sudden we see her caught up with him at 11:25? also she leaves immediately after them but when she reaches her first world both terra and Ven already finished two worlds while terra finished his third one, the Cinderella world, how? the timing doesn’t match up or does time flow different in the lense between? her story is mostly just struggling being with her friends, her story really just like Kh1 Sora except with less development (until 0.2 happened and made her develop with an interesting story) that’s her story

edit: Also I remember reading an old interview where Nomura said the last ep wasn’t part of the the original development game, so aqua story would have ended the same as the other two in The keyblade graveyard, but decided to added the last ep in the end, Aqua was a bystander to the story of bbs until the final ep, her true story and struggle began in the realm of darkness, the only one thing important about the last ep was her making castle oblivion to hide Ventus in, the Terranort fight wasn’t that crucial imo, final ep only showed us how aqua is basically like a hero trying to protect her friends but tbh this final terranort fight felt like they just wanted to make her disappear from the story like Terra and Ventus.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
Foxycian's daily rants about Aqua have to be one of the most tiring aspects of this forum. 🙃
Is it really that bad lol? Btw Are you new🙃? Well anyway no one really provide me with a reply, recently it has been like this no answers or reply, but eh, I dislike aqua fandom and wanted to ruin the image of their waifu (and by ruin I mean shove what they don’t like to hear in their face) cause for years her fans throw shades at terra and Ven and always praise Aqua I honestly didn’t start ranting about her until recently like a year or so, I’m surprised I was tamed about it all this time

but I’ll stop this is a Kairi thread and I almost changed the subject, and I started to act like those type of fans that i dislike, yea that is a more reason to stop

Edit: welp if it upsets anyone then I vow never to speak of this (Aqua rant) matter ever again just so everyone won’t be grumpy and annoyed, I know she is a fan favorite (and I dislike many of her fans still) but I don’t really dislike the character (0.2 saved her character for me) i won’t say anything ill about her again, besides I already made my point.

Last edited:

2 quid is good

Awards
This isn't twitter where you can subtweet to your hearts content and be expected to be cheered on. Just because you don't agree with someone's rants doesn't mean they're not entitled to them. Why not try rebutting instead of leaving snide remarks? Because snide remarks only encourages the behaviour you clearly don't like to see @Slushoholic and certain other new members I've seen espouse this type of rhetoric. It's a forum, not an echo chamber, and certainly not twitter.

Foxycian

Awards
Why not try rebutting instead of leaving snide remarks? Because snide remarks only encourages the behaviour you clearly don't like to see @Slushoholic and certain other new members I've seen espouse this type of rhetoric.
I honestly don’t know if you’re talking to me but Gonna guess you are? Also what did you mean by This🤔 i don’t have any problems with this new fella, I was teasing in case if it’s someone I know using a side account, but I’m not 100% sure so I don’t really call out a person without proof but instead I just leave small tease that many will likely not take seriously, but whatever you were trying to say I guess considered it Noted.

2 quid is good

Awards
I honestly don’t know if you’re talking to me but Gonna guess you are? Also what did you mean by This🤔 i don’t have any problems with this new fella, I was teasing in case if it’s someone I know using a side account, but I’m not 100% sure so I don’t really call out a person without proof but instead I just leave small tease that many will likely not take seriously, but whatever you were trying to say I guess considered it Noted.
I was talking to Slushoholic, that's why I tagged them, I don't have a problem with your posts

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I actually hope Namine stays a non-fighter, but just find something for her to do! I always envisioned her like the Professor X of the team. She can psionically contact people across worlds and she's always at Radiant Garden/Twilight Town doing research and sometimes goes into the field for combat. But the whole inter-world communication thing got "fixed" with the Gummiphone.

In a series where everyone is a fighter, I think it would be unique for Namine to not be one. Amongst the other ones, like Ansem The Wise, Ienzo, and presumably Even, I think Namine is the one that should get the spotlight. If they ever need exposition from the Radiant Garden researchers, it should be Namine (or Namine and Ansem The Wise).

Naminè cannot remain a non-fighter because Nomura does not know how to write a tangible narrative. Some characters should have returned earlier in KHIII, but he refused to do that because in his head it was "cool moments I need to put in" rather than thinking of the bigger picture.

The reason why she's in the situation she's in right now is because she's not in some trio or has a Keyblade. She gets no merch, she gets no place. There is no other choice but to throw her a weapon if her fans want anything concerning her.

That's just how things are, so she should get a Keyblade due to the director's inability to do shit else.

We can have that too, but I think Kairi alone deserves her own topic where people can discuss their feelings about her development considering she’s a bit of an outlier. She is meant to be important and yet there is a lack of any meaningful presence on her end that would allow her the proper agency as a character to develop as an individual.

The Hayden voice thread had all of the signs of developing into another topic by how quickly the discussion was moving from the voice acting to Kairi’s role in the series.

A female character treatment thread to thoroughly see what others think of the unfortunate situation. Nonetheless, I don't see Kairi getting anything further than MoM and it ties into what I mentioned.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Naminè cannot remain a non-fighter because Nomura does not know how to write a tangible narrative. Some characters should have returned earlier in KHIII, but he refused to do that because in his head it was "cool moments I need to put in" rather than thinking of the bigger picture.

The reason why she's in the situation she's in right now is because she's not in some trio or has a Keyblade. She gets no merch, she gets no place. There is no other choice but to throw her a weapon if her fans want anything concerning her.

That's just how things are, so she should get a Keyblade due to the director's inability to do shit else.

A female character treatment thread to thoroughly see what others think of the unfortunate situation. Nonetheless, I don't see Kairi getting anything further than MoM and it ties into what I mentioned.
I get what you're saying. Even Axel had to get a keyblade to stay relevant and he's a fan favourite (even though I didn't like him getting a keyblade).

I think Nomura's issue is that he has way too many characters now. The roles that Leon and the FF characters in Radiant Garden played are now filled by Ienzo and Ansem The Wise (and probably Even).

This is why I think Namine should have a unique power that none of the others have, like telepathy with Sora/Kairi/anyone connected to their hearts. She can help them research at the castle (where I believe she is named Queen of Radiant Garden) and also communicate across the worlds... oh yeah, they introduced the Gummiphone and that killed my idea for Namine.

Knowing Nomura it comes down to two options for Namine to stay relevant: get a keyblade or be someone from the ancient past (with a keyblade). Ugh.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I get what you're saying. Even Axel had to get a keyblade to stay relevant and he's a fan favourite (even though I didn't like him getting a keyblade).

I think Nomura's issue is that he has way too many characters now. The roles that Leon and the FF characters in Radiant Garden played are now filled by Ienzo and Ansem The Wise (and probably Even).

This is why I think Namine should have a unique power that none of the others have, like telepathy with Sora/Kairi/anyone connected to their hearts. She can help them research at the castle (where I believe she is named Queen of Radiant Garden) and also communicate across the worlds... oh yeah, they introduced the Gummiphone and that killed my idea for Namine.

Knowing Nomura it comes down to two options for Namine to stay relevant: get a keyblade or be someone from the ancient past (with a keyblade). Ugh.

I have to agree there...They're handing out keyblades like candy lately.

Naminé still has some relevance though, even if she is pseudo-human now. The mystery of her existence (the why, not the how) is still unsolved, and Nomura teased that since Sora still wasn't able to thank Naminé, that idea is extended yet a little while longer. Also, Vexen's book.

alolansentret

Awards
I do wish Kairi got more involvement in fighting and in parts of the story, ever since KH1 I thought all 3 of the main trio would get their spotlights. It's disappointing to see that Kairi just now, almost 20 years later, is getting hers, and besides her one moment in re:mind, she's been relegated a narrator of all things. I wish Nomura knew how to write and develop her character more naturally, and incorporate her into the story naturally as well, instead of forcing her into the plot just to keep Sora moving.

Literally, it felt like he got one just cuz Roxas and Xion had one. It's really a shame, his chakrams were such an interesting weapon, and so were all the other members' weapons. I hope Nomura doesn't keep this up with post-KH3 Lauriam and Elrena...

Also, Kairi should go back to wearing purple and white. I loved her KH1 outfit, it fit her personality well. It was also just nice to see a girl character that wasn't just "pink hair girl wears pink" (even if her hair isnt exactly pink.. it's close).

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Literally, it felt like he got one just cuz Roxas and Xion had one. It's really a shame, his chakrams were such an interesting weapon, and so were all the other members' weapons. I hope Nomura doesn't keep this up with post-KH3 Lauriam and Elrena...

Also, Kairi should go back to wearing purple and white. I loved her KH1 outfit, it fit her personality well. It was also just nice to see a girl character that wasn't just "pink hair girl wears pink" (even if her hair isnt exactly pink.. it's close).

He might, now that they're human again. it's going to be awfully awkward though when they meet those two. I wonder how Elrena is going to act now that she's human. Caustic like Larxene or polite like her younger self? But for now, Kairi thread, so...

Pastel pink isn't so bad on her, we know that much. What other colors look good on redheads?

pastel.goblin

Awards
It'll be interesting to see if Naminé does end up having a connection to Ava to keep her relevant going forward. Still not entirely sure how I feel about that personally though. The fact that Sora hasn't thanked her yet surely means Nomura's got something in mind for her but who knows.

I have to agree there...They're handing out keyblades like candy lately
Please please please can we go back to the days of unique weapons?? That was so much more interesting. Axel getting a keyblade was pointless. If she has to fight, give me mage Naminé with a staff or spell book/sketchpad over a keyblade any day. Naminé being a researcher in Radiant Garden would be cool, but I'm happier with her in Twilight Town.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Please please please can we go back to the days of unique weapons?? That was so much more interesting. Axel getting a keyblade was pointless. If she has to fight, give me mage Naminé with a staff or spell book/sketchpad over a keyblade any day. Naminé being a researcher in Radiant Garden would be cool, but I'm happier with her in Twilight Town.
If it's any consolation, by touch alone, Naminé is able to dispel the darkness with light, and unlike Roxas, she seemed to do so without a keyblade or any manner of weapon, so, that's really cool. Yeah I'd like her to be in Twilight Town too.

pastel.goblin

Awards
If it's any consolation, by touch alone, Naminé is able to dispel the darkness with light, and unlike Roxas, she seemed to do so without a keyblade or any manner of weapon, so, that's really cool. Yeah I'd like her to be in Twilight Town too.
Exactly~! I lowkey adore the scene of her rescuing Roxas from the dark. I wish Nomura was interested in delving more into that kind of power, same with Kairi and the PoH stuff. It always just kinda happens when needed. I don't mind Kairi having a keyblade since it happened before the trend of everyone having one (though I'm still not a fan of how it happened, seriously Riku, how, where and why did you just get a keyblade to hand to her??) but they could still do more interesting things with her light powers. And Naminé is in Twilight Town, it's pretty much implied in ReMind, but also Xion's character file confirms it~

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I have to agree there...They're handing out keyblades like candy lately.

Naminé still has some relevance though, even if she is pseudo-human now. The mystery of her existence (the why, not the how) is still unsolved, and Nomura teased that since Sora still wasn't able to thank Naminé, that idea is extended yet a little while longer. Also, Vexen's book.
I'm hoping Namine works with Kairi/Riku to find Sora, so that when Sora returns he can see Namine and thank her... although, that would end the whole "thank you" thing in a side game and probably cause Namine to get brushed away in KH4.

Anyway, I forgot this was the Kairi thread so I will say this... I don't mind the pink on Kairi (even though it feels so generic), I just rather Nomura stick with a specific colour for her and use it somewhere. Sora is red, Riku is yellow, and Kairi being purple was cool. Then she switched to pink, which is fine, but then they put all this black on her and she ends up sort of matching everyone else and not really standing out (Organization coats all black, Sora/Riku have loads of black). I think the pink/white may have been better (a white top and pink skirt) with some purple somewhere. I don't get why Nomura put her in black, when white suits the whole "pure light" thing more.

Back