• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What community do you guys distance yourself from?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Somnus cealum

Awards
Not gonna lie, i distance myself from the kingdom hearts community, i just feel like it has so much drama and the people are divided.
and that most of the people are very homophobic and anti furry

and i distance myself from the Avatar the last airbender community because most of the people don't like the live movie remake.

I do just stay in the five night's at freddy's community because they accept furries and i do love fnaf with its scariness.

and yes i'm in the lgbt community and the furry community. and in other communities too, because there not mean or just rude about people and what they like.

But i am a closet furry for now because of my anti furry family. and i just heard that my #1 fave singer ariana grande is a closet furry too but she embrace who she is, if she can so will i.

and for those, closet furry is like hiding that your a furry like hiding if ur gay or lesbian.

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
One of the rule of the Internet is that as long as something is popular, there is drama about it. That's how it is.
There is also the fact that the purpose of Nomura is to provoke debate and interpretations. He said once that he hated when everything was understood in the end of a piece of art. That's happening a lot in japanese fictions and that's why so many people are into it.

However, this can easily lead to drama as people have different interpretations which can lead to disagreement. If you see something you do not like, just move on to another topic. It doesn't mean you have to leave the whole community.

Also, the KH community is many things, but homophobic? I am not certain to see it. A lot of lgbtq people are part of this community, which makes sense considering that the main topic of the games is the quest for identity.
As for the furry thing, well, I have no clue as I have never seen it mentioned that much.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I don’t stay off communities but there certain topics I may not discuss online. I don’t really discuss much SW online but I blabber about it IRL. Especially since THAT SW movie is one my favorites, which I learned is a bad thing to bring up in any forum.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I would try to focus on the things you like about the series, be open to discussion and counterpoints without feeling the need to adopt them (or taking other people's opinions personally). And anything outside of civil - toss it in the wind. Instead of writing off whole fandoms, you might try different communities, finding non-toxic environments.

I don’t really discuss much SW online but I blabber about it IRL. Especially since THAT SW movie is one my favorites, which I learned is a bad thing to bring up in any forum.

Hah! I have this exact issue with SW, and now I'm extremely curious which film you're referring to.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Hah! I have this exact issue with SW, and now I'm extremely curious which film you're referring to.

You know...That one. The one revitalized the Fandom Menace. The one you can’t mention online with friends because someone has to say something about it. The only one from the ST that George Lucas said anything nice about.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Like @Rydgea and @Blenderudit said focus on things you like about the series and if the topic is moving in a direction you don't want to discuss, move on to another topic.

If you're burnt out of a fanbase you can also take a break/hiatus from it for awhile. That helps me with many of the communities I'm a part of, including Kingdom Hearts. I love Kingdom Hearts, but sometimes I find it's better to enjoy something you love by yourself for awhile, without needing the approval of other members of the fanbase. This applies to any fanbase. Pokemon was another one for me. But you shouldn't quit the entire community. Focus on the things you enjoy and others who enjoy those topics with you.

Somnus cealum

Awards
Like @Rydgea and @Blenderudit said focus on things you like about the series and if the topic is moving in a direction you don't want to discuss, move on to another topic.

If you're burnt out of a fanbase you can also take a break/hiatus from it for awhile. That helps me with many of the communities I'm a part of, including Kingdom Hearts. I love Kingdom Hearts, but sometimes I find it's better to enjoy something you love by yourself for awhile, without needing the approval of other members of the fanbase. This applies to any fanbase. Pokemon was another one for me. But you shouldn't quit the entire community. Focus on the things you enjoy and others who enjoy those topics with you.
well kh as been with me since like birth. its a part of me like life is. im not leaving it. i just wanna be on big social groups like on twitter.

Somnus cealum

Awards
I would try to focus on the things you like about the series, be open to discussion and counterpoints without feeling the need to adopt them (or taking other people's opinions personally). And anything outside of civil - toss it in the wind. Instead of writing off whole fandoms, you might try different communities, finding non-toxic environments.

I like how kairi is getting character dev and that she is getting her own game and she is going to save sora soon.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
All of them

This right here is the only dedicated fansite/forum I use, for anything (and even then I'm not really "in the community" so to speak)
My only other interaction with "communities" is in passing via threads on other more general websites

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I used to really engage with the Voltron fandom. Then the 🐜s sprouted from their hellholes and ruined any sort of enjoyment anybody be it fan or staff got from the series. To this day they still try to steamroll anybody who speaks anything outside of their acceptable OTP and it's spread enough misinformation that people outside of the fandom even have negative views against certain things that are not even really problematic.

Even with S8 being the worst thing to ever come from the series, I would have been fine sticking with the fandom had that specific sub-group of people didn't make it such a hostile environment. I don't even like consuming fan works for that fandom anymore and I got rid of most of my Voltron merch just so I didn't have to think about it anymore.

Outside of that, KH is really the only community I engage with on a regular basis.

Somnus cealum

Awards
I used to really engage with the Voltron fandom. Then the 🐜s sprouted from their hellholes and ruined any sort of enjoyment anybody be it fan or staff got from the series. To this day they still try to steamroll anybody who speaks anything outside of their acceptable OTP and it's spread enough misinformation that people outside of the fandom even have negative views against certain things that are not even really problematic.

Even with S8 being the worst thing to ever come from the series, I would have been fine sticking with the fandom had that specific sub-group of people didn't make it such a hostile environment. I don't even like consuming fan works for that fandom anymore and I got rid of most of my Voltron merch just so I didn't have to think about it anymore.

Outside of that, KH is really the only community I engage with on a regular basis.
Well sorry its just i dont wanna be in a community where its divided. ik its ok for people to have different opinions, but not to hate on there opinions like how most of the kh fandom hates kairi, what did she do wrong??? usually girls are suppose to be a damsel in distress, but i like how now she is the hero to save sora. that will show the kairi haters.

Veevee

Awards
Not gonna lie, i distance myself from the kingdom hearts community, i just feel like it has so much drama and the people are divided.
and that most of the people are very homophobic and anti furry

and i distance myself from the Avatar the last airbender community because most of the people don't like the live movie remake.

I do just stay in the five night's at freddy's community because they accept furries and i do love fnaf with its scariness.

and yes i'm in the lgbt community and the furry community. and in other communities too, because there not mean or just rude about people and what they like.

But i am a closet furry for now because of my anti furry family. and i just heard that my #1 fave singer ariana grande is a closet furry too but she embrace who she is, if she can so will i.

and for those, closet furry is like hiding that your a furry like hiding if ur gay or lesbian.

I'm ... confused. First of all, like Blenderudit said so fittingly, every bigger community / fandom has a bit of drama and some people who are not nice to be around. I think it's not about whether a fandom has these, but how many there are and how the rest of the fandoms reacts to them - if there's a tendency to just let these angry people be angry and rude and spoil the fun for everyone, it certainly spoils the fandom for me.

To be honest, I don't know what you're getting at here. You are in a Kingdom Hearts forum where you just plainly said you distance yourself from this community. Which is fine if you feel like that and it would also be fine if you had actual arguments or suggestions about what we, in which I mean the forum KH Insider, could do better. I've read from a lot of gay / bisexual / pansexual / diverse here, so claiming it's all homophobic here is something I simply don't see. And I've never read anything about furries, negative or otherwise, just absolutely nothing. So it's really weird for you to come out and lash out at this forum's community to be anti-furry in general when most of the people here have never said anything about it (for example, I personally simply don't care about furries, whatever makes people happy and does no harm is fine). Not trying to insult you, but your statements come off very rude. It's great that you embrace yourself, it's great that you feel inspired by people (e.g. Ariana Grande), it's great that you feel comfortable with who you are, but that doesn't justify labeling everyone as being mean, homophobic or anti-furry - that's like saying "I'm gay and if you don't love my posts, you're homophobic". Also, as a gay myself, the way you talk about closet furries rubs me the wrong way - sometimes people have good reasons to stay in the closet. Maybe they can't come out, maybe they don't want to come out just yet, maybe they're dealing with other shit, also you don't always have to come out if you don't want to in the first place. Your post feels a bit like "everyone should just come out and everyone else should just be happy about that", yeah, I also wish that was the case but it doesn't always work that way, so one can legimately get angry at people who are being shitty about it, but we can't just dictate people how to come out or to feel (homophobia excluded, that's just not valid because it oppresses others).

Well sorry its just i dont wanna be in a community where its divided. ik its ok for people to have different opinions, but not to hate on there opinions like how most of the kh fandom hates kairi, what did she do wrong??? usually girls are suppose to be a damsel in distress, but i like how now she is the hero to save sora. that will show the kairi haters.

Well, I dislike Kairi and that certainly didn't show me anything, but your post showed me. I feel like the way your post is worded, you're very actually very iffy about other people's opinions when they differ from yours. I really, really don't understand what's to like about Kairi, I find her highly unlikeable, but well, can't go around and say "listen to me, Kairi is shitty, why don't you just get that?!". Opinions don't work that way. It doesn't work in ways of "hah, I showed you!", either you can convince people or you can't. When you don't like the general tendency of a fandom, e.g. if there are more Kairi haters than lovers, you can leave or look elsewhere (e.g. in another forum), but don't make people sound dumb if they don't get or share your feelings on something.

Oh and topic: I distance myself from the Dragonball: Dokkan Battle community. Terrible community, there are way to many people who believe liking a female character makes you a "simp" while liking male characters is often commented with weird sexual slang like "[new male unit] turns me so on", it's just childish and inappropriate and weird. Oh and there's a ton of people who think anything less than a hardcore player is a noob which is equally annoying. Ugh.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

I wasn't sure what you were referring to with the ant symbol, so I went to Google and searched "Voltron toxic fandom," and I realized you were talking about something called "antis." Here's the article I read for others who might be curious (it was interesting to read): https://geekdad.com/2018/10/toxic-fandom-when-criticism-and-entitlement-go-too-far/

I wasn't that deep into the Voltron fandom. I think I only posted about it here and then on a Disney forum, so thankfully I never experienced all the things that happened among the show's core fanbase. (Although I did occasionally see the "Sheith is predatory" arguments even here. Shipping Sheith is the main thing that kept me coming back to that show, tbh. lol) I still wish that show had a got a better ending. :( Anyway, reading about that term "antis" makes me realize I've met one here in the KH community before. Not naming names, I just didn't realize there was a term for that kind of reaction to pairings.

As to the topic in question, I was trying to think of an answer because I don't really distance from the few communities I'm in (or the ones I was in in the past). All fandoms have their toxic members and you just learn to avoid or deal with them. The best two I could think of is the Once Upon a Time and Supernatural fandoms. There was/is such an obvious divide in those two communities between who is a fan of which lead (Emma v. Regina; Dean v. Sam). I felt so odd man out because I didn't like just one or the other, but both. Reading the fan discourse was/is crazy though, the way they would not just go after the character, but the actors as well. Admittedly, maybe I'm biased, but the majority of it to me seemed directed one way in these fandoms (from Emma / Morrison fans towards Regina / Parilla and from Dean / Ackles fans towards Sam / Padalecki). I guess Sam and Regina both being sort of Woobie characters has something to do with it? I don't know. Either way, it's like they would deify the actor and character they liked and treated the other character and actor like they were the devil. Of course, the OUAT case had shipping wars that overlaid everything, too, with Captain Swan fans being viciously anti-Swann Queen. I understood the reason for why they would dislike Regina and Swann Queen, but it would just go way too far and usually involve personal attacks on Parilla for encouraging her own fans.

Last edited:

Somnus cealum

Awards
I'm ... confused. First of all, like Blenderudit said so fittingly, every bigger community / fandom has a bit of drama and some people who are not nice to be around. I think it's not about whether a fandom has these, but how many there are and how the rest of the fandoms reacts to them - if there's a tendency to just let these angry people be angry and rude and spoil the fun for everyone, it certainly spoils the fandom for me.

To be honest, I don't know what you're getting at here. You are in a Kingdom Hearts forum where you just plainly said you distance yourself from this community. Which is fine if you feel like that and it would also be fine if you had actual arguments or suggestions about what we, in which I mean the forum KH Insider, could do better. I've read from a lot of gay / bisexual / pansexual / diverse here, so claiming it's all homophobic here is something I simply don't see. And I've never read anything about furries, negative or otherwise, just absolutely nothing. So it's really weird for you to come out and lash out at this forum's community to be anti-furry in general when most of the people here have never said anything about it (for example, I personally simply don't care about furries, whatever makes people happy and does no harm is fine). Not trying to insult you, but your statements come off very rude. It's great that you embrace yourself, it's great that you feel inspired by people (e.g. Ariana Grande), it's great that you feel comfortable with who you are, but that doesn't justify labeling everyone as being mean, homophobic or anti-furry - that's like saying "I'm gay and if you don't love my posts, you're homophobic". Also, as a gay myself, the way you talk about closet furries rubs me the wrong way - sometimes people have good reasons to stay in the closet. Maybe they can't come out, maybe they don't want to come out just yet, maybe they're dealing with other shit, also you don't always have to come out if you don't want to in the first place. Your post feels a bit like "everyone should just come out and everyone else should just be happy about that", yeah, I also wish that was the case but it doesn't always work that way, so one can legimately get angry at people who are being shitty about it, but we can't just dictate people how to come out or to feel (homophobia excluded, that's just not valid because it oppresses others).

Well, I dislike Kairi and that certainly didn't show me anything, but your post showed me. I feel like the way your post is worded, you're very actually very iffy about other people's opinions when they differ from yours. I really, really don't understand what's to like about Kairi, I find her highly unlikeable, but well, can't go around and say "listen to me, Kairi is shitty, why don't you just get that?!". Opinions don't work that way. It doesn't work in ways of "hah, I showed you!", either you can convince people or you can't. When you don't like the general tendency of a fandom, e.g. if there are more Kairi haters than lovers, you can leave or look elsewhere (e.g. in another forum), but don't make people sound dumb if they don't get or share your feelings on something.

Oh and topic: I distance myself from the Dragonball: Dokkan Battle community. Terrible community, there are way to many people who believe liking a female character makes you a "simp" while liking male characters is often commented with weird sexual slang like "[new male unit] turns me so on", it's just childish and inappropriate and weird. Oh and there's a ton of people who think anything less than a hardcore player is a noob which is equally annoying. Ugh.
well there is other people in the kh community who is anti furry. i talked to them before. and i dont mean this, i mean i dont wanna be on big groups like twitter. twitter is for drama after all

Awards
I usually don't distance myself instantly from a fandom I'm in when some drama happens. Instead I just go "Firewall Mode": I still enjoy the work and read related fanfiction and have my opinions and headcanons, but I don't do much in a fandom life. The only community I openly distance myself from is the celebrity community. I think it's just plain weird to be interested in their lives more than your own.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
To be honest, I kinda distance myself from the SM fandom; you know why?

There was this guy that got harassed horribly. Nearly made him want to kill himself >< I refuse to associate with people that'd do that.

Guy didn't deserve it; he died of cancer later and that stinks anyway.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Undertale - I liked the game but I decided a long time ago I’m keeping away from the fandom.

I try to keep away from fandom drama as much as possible it just makes things so much easier especially in some of the fandoms I’m in for example My Hero Academia.

Last edited:
Back