• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will Sora be a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
If anything I believe the final push would be for some interviewer to ask him about it.

Once that happens, then Sora will enter Smash

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The DLC fighters were all decided by Nintendo at the start of DLC development. If Sora's getting in, the decision was already made. The negotiations for Minecraft apparently began five years ago so that gives an idea for when, if any, talks began for Sora, long before KH3 came out & became the best-selling entry in the franchise. So you know, he'd be a lot less desirable than he is now.

EDIT: Another thing to consider is that there's always the chance for the "consolation prize": mii fighter costumes. I could see something like Org coat with keyblade being a costume.

Last edited:

Senfrence

Not to say that you are wrong, but you are wrong to a degree.

Sora and other KH characters have appeared in mobile game crossovers including Disney Emoji Blitz, LINE Disney Tsum Tsum, FF Brave Exvius, and FF Record Keeper. Also a million moons ago there was a Bravely Default: Praying Brage x KH X[chi] crossover event thing back when those PC Browser games were active.

WoFF IS different, but not because it was an in-house game, but because it was a Nomura-produced game. He was the creative producer for the game and Business Division 3 (when they were still split up that way) developed the game which is the same division that makes Kingdom Hearts, so of course he allowed to happen.

All of my examples above are definitely examples that count. Nomura is willing to play ball with other developers, but he prefers to do so when it is under his terms.

Nomura is also known to bend to Nintendo when they push enough. They pushed him for a game on the GBA using the "the children are crying for it" excuse and he made CoM as a response. Same with Days. Nintendo asked him and that was what he came up with.

Nomura is also known to be very restrictive and protective about KH and Disney allows that because they respect him and the series has flourished under his control for years. Sora didn't end up in Smash back during the 3DS/Wii U release because he said no and he offered up Cloud instead.

We all know Nintendo knows people want Sora. SE knows people want Sora. Nomura knows people want Sora. Now it's honestly a matter of waiting and seeing.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, oh well.

Sakurai did it because Minecraft is one of the top selling franchises out there with a massive audience to tap into. KH is big in its own right, but it isn't as overwhelmingly successful as Minecraft.

I don't think they are speaking on the technical limitations of having Sora, but the general creative critiques that come with it since it is another "sword" type character, except Sora wields it to bludgeon his enemies not cut them...

Why am I discussing this...I don't even care about Smash like this.

Okay maybe I don't really care about those phone app games and yeah they're all crossovers with Sora, technically they could fall under in-house games too just because it's either Disney or Square enix. I didn't see any companies outside of that.
So my point still stands Sora and Kingdom Hearts characters in general have not been in a game outside of Disney or Square enix.

Cloud wasn't Nomura's decision to make, sure he helped on the game of Final fantasy 7, but he does not own it. Nintendo didn't even ask for Sora during Wii U / 3DS because he wasn't voted in.
Cloud got in because Nintendo held three voting polls, in Japan, the US and Europe. The US voted in Cloud, Japan voted in Corrine, and Europe voted in Bayonetta.
It was a rare event that Nintendo actually decided to put in characters that the fans wanted.
And it probably won't ever happen again.

Also my point about Sakurai creating Steve, was that even if Sora was a "sword character" I'm sure Sakurai would be able to figure out a way to make him different enough. Because Sora has a lot of different attacks that don't involve swinging his keyblade like a sword.
Although I do agree he does not swing his keyblade around like a sword. But you know some people can't tell the difference.

But back to my main point, my main point was that I don't think copyright is an issue at all.
The issue would be for a Nomura to decide how he would want Sora in there, because obviously he doesn't want Nintendo to ruin Sora in any way.
He's probably going to be very detailed on what he wants if Sora gets in there.
I'm sure it's not that he doesn't want a Sora in Smash, but he probably would want to help out with choosing the moveset, I mean if you got a character in to Smash that you made, wouldn't you want to have a say in what abilities your character has in the game?
You see Nomura would have to trust that Sakurai would make Sora, the way he wants and made.
I'm sure it's been on Nomura's mind for a long time, because if my memory serves me right in Wii U / 3DS Super Smash, Sora made second in the US polls.
Of course I voted for Sora, but I knew the Cloud would win.
If you're wondering why I can't remember if he made the second or third it's because there was three choices at the end of the polls. Not to mention that was like 5 years ago.
I'm pretty sure he made second. I can't remember what the third choice was either, I think it might have been Master Chief, or it was Lloyd from tales of Symphonia. I know Chrono trigger was in there, but he didn't make it to the final three. But I digress.

Anyway you got to give Nomura some slack as well, because he's a very busy man. I mean he's working on the next Final fantasy 7 game and he already has thoughts about making the next Kingdom Hearts game. Not to mention Sakurai is a very busy man too. So for the two of them to actually be able to fit their schedules together so that they could meet and talk about how Sora would be in Smash, is probably very rare.
Also with how much Nomura values his characters, Sakurai might be a little worried he might not meet his expectations. And if Sakurai messes up on Sora that would put a pretty bad damper on the relationship between Square enix and Nintendo. Although Sakurai does like a good challenge and we saw that with Steve.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dude, I'm not making guesses or assumptions on the Cloud thing. Nintendo wanted Sora first, Nomura said no. They got Cloud instead.

I know way too many people in the industry to not know what I am talking about with this

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I see the title "Sora for Smash" In almost every KH community I visit or pass. I guess it's a huge deal or something. Unfortunately I never played a Smash Bro game, so it never mattered to me if Sora was in Smash or not. I suppose in a way Smash is like the video game equivalent of Football to me. I'm one of the few people in the world who doesn't watch Football but everyone around me does. I'm weird like that.

When I first heard "Sora for Smash" I thought it was some kind of meme/internet joke that I wasn't in the loop for.

Senfrence

Dude, I'm not making guesses or assumptions on the Cloud thing. Nintendo wanted Sora first, Nomura said no. They got Cloud instead.

I know way too many people in the industry to not know what I am talking about with this

Oh really and do you have proof of your industry friends that sounds like hearsay to me. And how you know your friends aren't making up to sound cool? People say stuff like that all the time even friends.
Also your friends shouldn't speak for Nomura, if Nomura wanted to say "no" he would have done so in public, also Nintendo doesn't take no very lightly it would have really damaged their relationship.
The polls were real I voted on them, my brother voted on them, and my other brother voted on them. They were officially from Nintendo. It was on the Nintendo's website.
Now I could see that Nintendo might have wanted Sora too, if Nomura was okay with it. He could have said "not really... just take Cloud."

Senfrence

At the end of the day there's too many people saying that Nomura makes the decision.
As anyone would expect Nintendo to respect Nomura's decision, they might not ask him.
Remember Square enix is a company and a company is owned by a president.
Yosuke Matsuda is the president of Square enix and if Nintendo makes him offer he can't refuse, then Nomura will not have a say in the matter. Which would be unfortunately the worst case scenario.

Lol I’ve literally interviewed Nomura before I don’t have time for this.

if you don't have time for this why are you even here? Again I would like to see proof of that as well.
But oh wait you don't have time, so that will never happen.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
if you don't have time for this why are you even here? Again I would like to see proof of that as well.
But oh wait you don't have time, so that will never happen.

Spockanort is a site staff member. Her title is literally right there on her profile. Staff members have been to several PR events. I've been in the same room as Nomura and Spockanort at the same time like...four times in a year? You can see our reports on the site over the years.

Senfrence

I run this site my dude.

You run the site, so that's not proof.
Even if you did interview him, did you hear it from Nomura himself?
Also I don't think it would be right, to talk about conversations that you had with him and use that as proof, because you're basically saying that you can speak for him in that instance. If he doesn't say it publicly then he didn't say it. That's how the business world works. It's very dangerous to go beyond that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I didn’t speak to Nomura about it and I don’t speak for Nomura but I’m very confident in my sources who know about this. Why would I need to provide sources when they are insider sources? I’ve more than proven myself to be reliable within the community in the last 10 years.

It is super old news anyways that has been known for nearly 6 years so I’m not providing anything brand new or shocking among the community. We also know Disney has been approached before.

On the subject of who has control over Sora being in : https://www.khinsider.com/forums/in...nd-his-chances-at-being-in-smash-bros.216412/

Disney themselves isn’t against it. It’s all on SE, and Nomura is the one who does the approvals for KH. These are known facts. We know these things.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
By the way, how did you score an interview with Nomura, Spock?

Not that I'm questioning your cred; I've lurked in this site for a long time so I know you did what you did. I'm just interested in the technical details and logistics. You don't have to answer; I'm just literally curious.

Do you, like, fly all the way to Japan and have VIP tickets or something? If that were the case, how much did it cost for round trip and exhibit tickets and was it a personal expense? Or do you interview him when he does go out of Japan and present in international game shows and concerts like E3, D23, or the orchestra tour? What about the language barrier; does he have a translator near him or can he speak a decent amount of English on his own?

Thread topic, have never played smash before, but have some relatives who do. not my cup of tea, but I'm glad they have fun.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
By the way, how did you score an interview with Nomura, Spock?

Not that I'm questioning your cred; I've lurked in this site for a long time so I know you did what you did. I'm just interested in the technical details and logistics. You don't have to answer; I'm just literally curious.

Do you, like, fly all the way to Japan and have VIP tickets or something? If that were the case, how much did it cost for round trip and exhibit tickets and was it a personal expense? Or do you interview him when he does go out of Japan and present in international game shows and concerts like E3, D23, or the orchestra tour? What about the language barrier; does he have a translator near him or can he speak a decent amount of English on his own?

Oh lord no. We emailed their PR firm or just asked them directly because we knew the brand managers or marketing team at the time. Usually at E3 because it is easiest to get an interview when they are promoting a game and E3 is usually when they go big in the west. Last time we emailed wanting to interview Yasue but instead they threw Nomura at us

Last big thing was the Premiere Event. It has been lowkey since KH3 launched.

They have a translator do the translating. Everything gets run through marketing before they answer anything.

It’s a standard process. Some of our staff have paid for flights and accommodations to events.

Senfrence

I didn’t speak to Nomura about it and I don’t speak for Nomura but I’m very confident in my sources who know about this. Why would I need to provide sources when they are insider sources? I’ve more than proven myself to be reliable within the community in the last 10 years.

It is super old news anyways that has been known for nearly 6 years so I’m not providing anything brand new or shocking among the community. We also know Disney has been approached before.

On the subject of who has control over Sora being in : https://www.khinsider.com/forums/in...nd-his-chances-at-being-in-smash-bros.216412/

Disney themselves isn’t against it. It’s all on SE, and Nomura is the one who does the approvals for KH. These are known facts. We know these things.

Sorry not hearing it from him directly is even more like hearsay. It doesn't validate anything. Again if it's not said in publicly then it wasn't said. That's how business works, and you a man of Nomura's position, cannot be validated off of hearsay.
It is simply rumor not a fact. It might be a inside rumor, but it's not a fact.
What is a fact is there was in fact a voting poll that decided that Cloud would get into smash. And Nomura does not have the power to offer Cloud to Nintendo as a substitute for one of his characters. Even if he has full control of his characters he does not have control of the Final fantasy characters.
And yes Nomura may have a lot of say in Kingdom Hearts, but ultimately the president decides what Nomura actually does. A good example of that was when Nomura was taken off of the Final fantasy 15 project. And when he was assigned to do Final fantasy 15, Final fantasy 7 remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 all at the same time. Neither of those were his decisions, it came from the president of Square enix. It also wasn't his decision to start making Kingdom Hearts 3, Final fantasy 7 remake, and Final fantasy 15 with the luminous engine. He had to request to use their unreal engine 3.
Sure Nomura may have a lot of influence, but he is not in control obviously.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Anyways, hearsay aside, my copy of Smash remains in its box covered in dust despite the fact I just got the Joker and Hero amiibos so if Sora ever comes to Smash, I might actually play the game for once.

If he doesn’t, well...no skin off of my nose. My Smash copy will remain where it has been for awhile.

Senfrence

Anyways, hearsay aside, my copy of Smash remains in its box covered in dust despite the fact I just got the Joker and Hero amiibos so if Sora ever comes to Smash, I might actually play the game for once.

If he doesn’t, well...no skin off of my nose. My Smash copy will remain where it has been for awhile.

Wait are you just talking about Smash Bros ultimate or Smash Bros in general?
Because if that's the case then it's no wonder you don't know about the polls.
Also I'll feel sorry for you, if you try online battles you'll get slaughtered. Not playing the game is like asking to get owned by everyone once you start playing it.
Also it's kind of a waste don't you think? I mean it's a $60 game. If I don't get my money's worth out of game, then it's not really worth it to me.
For example I bought Mass effect Andromeda when it came out. Oh boy was that a big mistake.
The graphics were so ugly and the story was so boring, the gameplay was okay, but not worth $60.
But I've definitely got in my $60 worth out of Smash, had plenty of fun playing it with friends and family.

2 quid is good

Awards
I have nothing to add except that @Antifa Lockhart reminded me of the multiple closed doors event KH has had to suffer and now I'm incensed.

That 2014 trailer still hasn't seen the light of day has it? Reeeeeeee

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
If Disney and Nintendo can agree on the legalities of licensing Sora then I can see him in Smash.

A few Disney reps have said they're quite receptive to Sora being in Smash, but ultimately for anything KH, they will defer to Nomura out of respect. If Disney says yes but Nomura says no, then Sora's not getting in.

Cloud got into Smash and Nomura did the key art for his inclusion so I don't see why he would decline the offer.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
If Disney and Nintendo can agree on the legalities of licensing Sora then I can see him in Smash.

Cloud got into Smash and Nomura did the key art for his inclusion so I don't see why he would decline the offer.

He's got his reasons. Doesn't matter if they make sense to us or not.

Back