• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Boss Battles

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Shoful

Awards
I really hope boss battles get a huge rework in the future games. In Kingdom Hearts 1 they were so inventive. Almost every Disney boss has some awesome 2 stage battle
Jafar - Genie Jafar
Clayton - Chameleon Clayton
Ursula - Trident Ursula
Monstro Heartless kinda had 2 phases
Oogie - Giant Oogie
Maleficent - Dragon Maleficent
And Ansem’s boss battle was super inventive and that was kinda the same with Xemnas.

I feel like most Disney bosses are being removed in place of some boring heartless. KH3. Tangled and Frozen easily could’ve had some epic battle like if darkness took over Elsa and it was some huge cinematic ice battle.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Unfortunately, I don't think Disney would ever produce a game where you beat the hell out of Elsa, even if it would be a cool fight.

I wish Dark Baymax had an on-foot segment in the fight. Such a cool design to be wasted on a minigame fight.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm still bummed about Chernabog in DDD. Or CLU, or Frollo. Or Coachman/Monstro.

Disney allows fighting against Elsa in the Sorcerer's Arena game, wish KH could get that kind of free rein.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I really wanted to fight Randall in Monstropolis. Such a missed opportunity

Yeah I hope Phase 2 has more Disney bosses in the worlds as well. Disney secret bosses such as Julius in DDD should be a thing as well.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I really wish they would go back to 2-stage Disney boss fights IF they're doing one world visit. I loved how KH1 did the boss fights. Each fight was also very inventive and different.

What they could have done with Mother Gothel, Emperor Zurg, Hades, Hans, Randall, and Evil Baymax was limitless. I don't even mind if the fight was the first segment, then the second stage was the giant heartless. I just wanted more Disney interaction. I would make save files in KH1 and KH2, so that when friends came over I would be like "do you want to fight Jafar?" and they'd be excited and want to see who else they could fight.

Shoful

Awards
I really wish they would go back to 2-stage Disney boss fights IF they're doing one world visit. I loved how KH1 did the boss fights. Each fight was also very inventive and different.

What they could have done with Mother Gothel, Emperor Zurg, Hades, Hans, Randall, and Evil Baymax was limitless. I don't even mind if the fight was the first segment, then the second stage was the giant heartless. I just wanted more Disney interaction. I would make save files in KH1 and KH2, so that when friends came over I would be like "do you want to fight Jafar?" and they'd be excited and want to see who else they could fight.
That’s exactly what I used to do too. Make save files before each Disney boss so that I could keep replaying them. They were all so awesome!

AR829038

Awards
I wonder if the sudden decline in Disney bosses has to do with Bob Iger taking over for Michael Eisner at Disney. I know that's a stretch, but Iger's reign has seemed ten times more corporatized than Eisner's, and the timeline matches up almost perfectly. KH2 came out in 2005, the same year Eisner handed the reigns over to Iger. And ever since KH2, the Disney bosses in KH games have been noticeably farther and fewer between. BBS and DDD gave us some new Disney boss battles, but you can tell that there's definitely a difference in terms of quantity. I feel like the Disney bosses we did get are ones Nomura pushed especially hard for, like the Rinzler fight in DDD or Davy Jones in KH3. The only other Disney bosses from post-KH2 era that I can think of are Julius, and Gantu and Monstro from BBS, and those are all comparatively lesser villains that Disney probably doesn't care that much about anyway. All the other Disney bosses are returned from older KH titles and are almost freebies, like Maleficent, Pete, Hades, Chernabog, Hook, etc. Zurg or Frollo or Hans, on the other hand, were probably much more prized and tightly guarded by the Disney suits, and therefore required much more teeth-pulling from Square Enix to get permission to have their characters beating up on them. That didn't stop us from getting Scar and Shan-Yu and Barbossa in KH2 back in the day, but again, that may have been due to the different regime. I don't know, but it's something to think about. Maybe now that Iger's stepped down things can change.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wonder if the sudden decline in Disney bosses has to do with Bob Iger taking over for Michael Eisner at Disney. I know that's a stretch, but Iger's reign has seemed ten times more corporatized than Eisner's, and the timeline matches up almost perfectly. KH2 came out in 2005, the same year Eisner handed the reigns over to Iger. And ever since KH2, the Disney bosses in KH games have been noticeably farther and fewer between. BBS and DDD gave us some new Disney boss battles, but you can tell that there's definitely a difference in terms of quantity. I feel like the Disney bosses we did get are ones Nomura pushed especially hard for, like the Rinzler fight in DDD or Davy Jones in KH3. The only other Disney bosses from post-KH2 era that I can think of are Julius, and Gantu and Monstro from BBS, and those are all comparatively lesser villains that Disney probably doesn't care that much about anyway. All the other Disney bosses are returned from older KH titles and are almost freebies, like Maleficent, Pete, Hades, Chernabog, Hook, etc. Zurg or Frollo or Hans, on the other hand, were probably much more prized and tightly guarded by the Disney suits, and therefore required much more teeth-pulling from Square Enix to get permission to have their characters beating up on them. That didn't stop us from getting Scar and Shan-Yu and Barbossa in KH2 back in the day, but again, that may have been due to the different regime. I don't know, but it's something to think about. Maybe now that Iger's stepped down things can change.
I feel like whatever caused the change in Disney bosses happened after BbS/Days/coded came out. Birth By Sleep seems like it went out of its way to include Disney bosses when a giant Unversed would have sufficed (like the Magic Mirror and Experiment 221). They even did the unthinkable and let you fight a GOOD Disney character (Peter Pan). I know that happened with The Beast in KH2, but to let it happen again was amazing.

All I heard about the situation is that Disney doesn't want "non-fighters" being boss fights. I can understand Mother Gothel not having a fight, but no Randall, Zurg, or Hans in some capacity is strange. Also, Evil Baymax should have had a ground section for the fight (I'm guessing the reason they skipped that is because San Fransokyo was open world).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
All I heard about the situation is that Disney doesn't want "non-fighters" being boss fights. I can understand Mother Gothel not having a fight, but no Randall, Zurg, or Hans in some capacity is strange. Also, Evil Baymax should have had a ground section for the fight (I'm guessing the reason they skipped that is because San Fransokyo was open world).
King of Toys was basically what I thought Zurg was going to be: him flying a toy spaceship. Somehow we got the ship & not the pilot!

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Disney allows fighting against Elsa in the Sorcerer's Arena game, wish KH could get that kind of free rein.

Isn't that game pretty simplified in its depicted violence? KH violence is pretty intense, all things considered. Sora delivers a jaw-breaking beatdown with that Keyblade. That might cause Disney to think twice sometimes about us fighting certain characters.

Cumguardian69

Awards
We need some hardcore 1v1 or 2v2 fights with good party member AI. They wanna make this game about keyslingers vs keyslingers and yet the party member AI is god awful (they still don't know how to guard).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
That's not really anything to do with Eisner or Iger, but more related to KH's growing success. Now that the series has established itself as being incredibly successful, it's got plenty more eyes on it than before. The person dealing with KH at Disney has also changed numerous times over the years and each individual has a different way of doing things, with some being more restrictive than others.

In any case, there's plenty of factors as to why this are the way they are in this series that can't necessarily be traced back to a single person.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
About Elsa, a boss fight against her before Marshmallow would have been great. That said, her being a woman probably makes it just look wrong when the gamer is hitting them with a sword-like weapon; perhaps if it was mostly a fight where she sends ice shards from her stairwell and you hit them back at her (sort of like Ice Titan in KH1). I think even when making the original Disney films, they sometimes thought of this, considering Ursula and Maleficent both turn into huge monsters before they die. Even the Queen dies offscreen. I think depictions of violence against a female character is something you have to tread carefully around.

I don't think a fight with Mother Gothel would have been too weird. She wields a knife for the majority of the film and stabs Flynn in the end. She's more of a fighter than Flynn is, really. Anyway, yes, I miss the days when the world bosses had back-to-back fights. The first one always feels like they're not taking you very seriously or testing you, only to unleash the kraken in the second fight.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
About Elsa, a boss fight against her before Marshmallow would have been great. That said, her being a woman probably makes it just look wrong when the gamer is hitting them with a sword-like weapon; perhaps if it was mostly a fight where she sends ice shards from her stairwell and you hit them back at her (sort of like Ice Titan in KH1). I think even when making the original Disney films, they sometimes thought of this, considering Ursula and Maleficent both turn into huge monsters before they die. Even the Queen dies offscreen. I think depictions of violence against a female character is something you have to tread carefully around.

I don't think a fight with Mother Gothel would have been too weird. She wields a knife for the majority of the film and stabs Flynn in the end. She's more of a fighter than Flynn is, really. Anyway, yes, I miss the days when the world bosses had back-to-back fights. The first one always feels like they're not taking you very seriously or testing you, only to unleash the kraken in the second fight.
With Elsa, they could make it so that there's an ice shell/wall protecting her that's the actual target of the fight.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

If we can beat down Aqua, Larxene, Xion, Yuffie, and Maleficent (human form) with a keyblade, I don't see a problem with fighting Elsa. I think the depiction of violence should be treated with care in the cutscenes, rather than the actual gameplay. KH's gameplay isn't explicitly violent, and even when you look at it closely it's either magic being thrown or bashing away with a sword (that doesn't cut), and the reaction to being hit isn't blooding flying everywhere, but a simple wince face and then back to action. Cutscenes can focus on certain elements of violence and emphasize it, so I think that's where the concern should be with depictions of violence against female characters.

Also, KH has the easiest fix to allowing anyone be capable of a boss fight and it's the franchise's favourite word - "darkness". I don't get why they don't use it. If they said Elsa was overcome with darkness, showed her with the dark energy to clearly indicate that she is not herself, then gave us a fight, I think it'd be justified. To be honest, if Disney was smart and really wanted the players to remember Arendelle and get Elsa over positively in the gaming community, Disney should have demanded an elaborate and difficult boss fight for Elsa in the middle of Arendelle. I'm talking Data Organization level. It would have been so random, especially at that point in the game, and I think EVERYONE that played KH3 would have talked about it and maybe even changed their views on Arendelle. Maybe have her start off with a one-hit KO move that you have to dodge, so when you first fight her you're caught off guard by the attack and die.

Last edited:
Awards
The big problem with Elsa is that she's apparently locked to doing nothing but stuff from the movie.

Must've been one of the restrictions the Frozen team put on the Arendelle world so it wouldn't be "ruined" by any original stuff.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The big problem with Elsa is that she's apparently locked to doing nothing but stuff from the movie.

Must've been one of the restrictions the Frozen team put on the Arendelle world so it wouldn't be "ruined" by any original stuff.
I would have taken Sora, Donald and Goofy standing in the background making sad faces or reaction sounds to Frozen playing out. At least have them in the scene, even if it's shoved way in the back. Arendelle is the only world that has an end of world celebration that feels awkward. Normally the Disney character thanks Sora and they make jokes before leaving. The Frozen cast was on one side of the ship and SDG were on the other, no words shared. The Frozen characters don't even LOOK in SDG's direction at the end of Arendelle. Which is why if (when) we go back to Arendelle it will be so bizarre to see SDG be chummy with Anna and Elsa, since Elsa probably forgot who they were after their five minute conversation.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I liked the battle against Xaldin in Kingdom Hearts II because he was defeated at Beast's Castle which made his presence in that Disney world all the more meaningful. Give me more battles against original characters like that instead of just the next Heartless/Nobody/Unversed.

Back