• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► [RUMORS] Harry Potter Live-Action TV-series in Early Development

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

redcrown

Awards
I've always thought Harry Potter should be adapted to a 2D animated series, just imagine how beautiful and haunting it would look.

It's honestly too soon to make another live action adaption again. It hasn't even been 10 years since the film series ended. What can they really do to make it worthwhile or introduce that's so different from the film series? If it's been 30 years or so since it came out then sure, but it hasn't been.

Also if David Yates is directing it then it'll be even more redundant and not worth it, the guy only made one solidly good HP film and that was Deathly Hallows part 1.

Last edited:

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I've always thought Harry Potter should be adapted to a 2D animated series, just imagine how beautiful and haunting it would look.

It's honestly too soon to make another live action adaption again. It hasn't even been 10 years since the film series ended. What can they really do to make it worthwhile or introduce that's so different from the film series? If it's been 30 years or so since it came out then sure, but it hasn't been.

Also if David Yates is directing it than it will really be extremely redundant and not worth it, he only made one solidly good HP film and that was Deathly Hallows part 1.

It's not gonna be the books redux. It's going to be canon to the two film series.

Something like The Marauders. Or perhaps a biography of Dumbledore a la "Life and Lies". Might cover Voldemort's first reign of terror.

Perhaps even a political drama about palace intrigue at the Ministry. The state of governance in the Wizarding World is a monument of shame, with its corruption, nepotism, cronyism, authoritarianism and the lack of separation of powers.

Such a rich world with so much storytelling potential.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I wanted a Marauders prequel for so long. Would be nice if this is what the series is about but after everything with the JK Rowling controversy I'm not sure if I can overlook that.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I really don't think Rowling's statements on trans women say the things she's accused of saying.

I don't agree with the bulk of what she says on the subject, so it's not that. I just find many interpretations are more than a little reductive.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
It's not gonna be the books redux. It's going to be canon to the two film series.

Something like The Marauders. Or perhaps a biography of Dumbledore a la "Life and Lies". Might cover Voldemort's first reign of terror.

Perhaps even a political drama about palace intrigue at the Ministry. The state of governance in the Wizarding World is a monument of shame, with its corruption, nepotism, cronyism, authoritarianism and the lack of separation of powers.

Such a rich world with so much storytelling potential.
Oh, I thought it was going to be a retelling. Darn... Oh, well. I guess I'd still like to see it, but nowhere near as much in that case.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Oh, I thought it was going to be a retelling. Darn... Oh, well. I guess I'd still like to see it, but nowhere near as much in that case.

Interesting. I wouldn't watch a TV remake of the books. The Harry Potter films are about as good as you're ever likely to get from a tentpole major studio adaptation of children's books. Azkaban is one of the best films of that decade. A TV series would be a gratuitous waste of time.

Elysium

Awards
Interesting. I wouldn't watch a TV remake of the books. The Harry Potter films are about as good as you're ever likely to get from a tentpole major studio adaption of children's books. Azkaban is one of the best films of that decade. A TV series would be a gratuitous waste of time.
I didn't care for the film adaptations for the most part. Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were especially terrible (OotP is my favorite book, btw). While I enjoyed HBP as a film, I thought it cut quite a lot, too. I'd appreciate a mini-series that could take its time, include everything, and have breathing room between story points, too.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I didn't care for the film adaptations for the most part. Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were especially terrible (OotP is my favorite book, btw). While I enjoyed HBP as a film, I thought it cut quite a lot, too. I'd appreciate a mini-series that could take its time, include everything, and have breathing room between story points, too.

Goblet of Fire was indeed a humiliating disaster. Can't imagine what those involved feel about it. It was the steepest drop in quality for a sequel I could remember until last year's Rise of Skywalker.

OoTP is a very decent, competently made film once we get past that fact that novels and the cinema are two different mediums and that we shouldn't look for verbatim transfer across those mediums. That took me a while: I didn't watch Order again until this year, with my little sister, and I realised then (once I had some detachment from the books I so revered as a child) that it's actually a very good effort. Sometimes, or often, completism leads to creative poverty not riches.

HBP is a brilliant film that I didn't appreciate at the time, again because of my fixation with the source material.

Rowling is a brilliant storyteller and a mediocre writer. Crimes of Grindelwald is what happens when we try to impose the structures of written literature to the moving image. Watching it is to realise that we should be careful what we wish for.

Thankfully, the next film was co-written by her and Kloves, who knows how to actually write for the screen what Rowling so vibrantly puts onto paper.

Elysium

Awards
As for Fantastic Beasts, I don't think either film is a perfect story, but there's a lot of charm in the first film that's really lacking in the second. I think it's partly because Newt doesn't get as much screentime in the sequel. He was my favorite thing about the first film and why I plan to finish that series out. Well, that and the sequel is more about hitting plot points with few if any character moments. I loved Jacob and Queenie in the first film, too, and they got very little to do in the sequel, unfortunately.

A series focused around the Marauders would be very interesting. It seems like a natural choice with Fantastic Beasts focused on Dumbledore and Grindelwald's backstory.

redcrown

Awards
OotF was a snoozefest imo, even the book itself was a 1000 pages of angst and a one dimensional villan, though it did have it's moments. At least the Goblet of Fire is a fun rewatch even if it's just to make fun of it, it being one of if not the best book definitely helped it from being outright unwatchable.

I would be excited for more additions to the series that isn't a retelling of HP, if the Fantastic Beasts movies were good, but they weren't. Trust me, I was hyped to see a nerdy wizard zoologist played by Eddie Redmayne discover and research magical creatures across the world, I really really was. His scenes with Jacob and bonding with the animals were the best of those films, they should have been the main focus.

I can't tell if it was JK's fault, David Yates's fault, or WB's for trying so hard to make the film so connected to the HP series, or all of them combined, but those movies were a boring mess of wasted potential.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
OotF was a snoozefest imo, even the book itself was a 1000 pages of angst and a one dimensional villan, though it did have it's moments. At least the Goblet of Fire is a fun rewatch even if it's just to make fun of it, it being one of if not the best book definitely helped it from being outright unwatchable.

I would be excited for more additions to the series that isn't a retelling of HP, if the Fantastic Beasts movies were good, but they weren't. Trust me, I was hyped to see a nerdy wizard zoologist played by Eddie Redmayne discover and research magical creatures across the world, I really really was. His scenes with Jacob and bonding with the animals were the best of those films, they should have been the main focus.

I can't tell if it was JK's fault, David Yates's fault, or WB's for trying so hard to make the film so connected to the HP series, or all of them combined, but those movies were a boring mess of wasted potential.
I loved Order of the Phoenix as a book. But it's been eternity since I read any of them.

I hope that they retcon Harry and Hermione together.

What did JK Rowling say? That Dumbledore was gay? Is that offensive?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I really don't think Rowling's statements on trans women say the things she's accused of saying.

I don't agree with the bulk of what she says on the subject, so it's not that. I just find many interpretations are more than a little reductive.
She literally wrote a 900 page book about a man dressing up as a woman to get close to women to kill them. I don't think she's being misrepresented.

Back