• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Small but curious questions in the established canon

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
It would be more accurate to say this were some sort of "mysteries" thread but I feel that word is incompatible considering the series is a fantasy; just that there are a lot of curious questions. It's mostly self-rambling when I'm not preoccupied with real life matters or other fictional works. There's probably another thread like this back then but I don't want to necro.

I'm just writing this down so I don't forget it. Feel free to add, or, you know, ignore it, meh...

No, we're not doing the "what exactly is Kingdom Hearts?" "(insert anything related to Naminé here)" "what's inside the black box?" questions and the like because they're too big and too time consuming to even think about. It'll be an exercise in futility until they give us more details.
  • What makes a princess pure?
    • Any girl can be a princess, but not all can be pure. Ariel signed a devil's contract, not to mention stole her father's trident, and Vanellope is a thieving little waif.
    • The answer to this is that their hearts are pure light, but what actually is it that makes it pure light?
      • Snow=?
      • Cindy=Charm and beauty, against jealousy.
      • Rory=(you can't exactly sin if you spend a lot of the time asleep...)
      • Belle=?
      • Jasmine=?
      • Alice=Willfulness, according to the Chi translations, against selfishness.
      • Kairi=?
      • Rapunzel=?
      • Anna=?
      • Elsa=(huh?!)
  • How did Kairi's grandma have access to the castle library if the guards are keeping civilians out?
    • Maybe it only applies to Lea and Isa because they're very rambunctious?
    • The library is probably accessible to the public.
    • Unlikely, but Kairi's bio fam might be some sort of distant relation to Ansem.
  • How did Ventus not age when Nobodies who also didn't have their hearts can?
    • Does being pure, albeit artificially, exempt you from the rules of time?
    • Does the chamber of waking have special powers or something to prevent aging to its inhabitants?
Again, feel free to add more or ignore this, because, eh...

Soldier

Awards
It would be more accurate to say this were some sort of "mysteries" thread but I feel that word is incompatible considering the series is a fantasy; just that there are a lot of curious questions. It's mostly self-rambling when I'm not preoccupied with real life matters or other fictional works. There's probably another thread like this back then but I don't want to necro.

I'm just writing this down so I don't forget it. Feel free to add, or, you know, ignore it, meh...

No, we're not doing the "what exactly is Kingdom Hearts?" "(insert anything related to Naminé here)" "what's inside the black box?" questions and the like because they're too big and too time consuming to even think about. It'll be an exercise in futility until they give us more details.
  • What makes a princess pure?
    • Any girl can be a princess, but not all can be pure. Ariel signed a devil's contract, not to mention stole her father's trident, and Vanellope is a thieving little waif.
    • The answer to this is that their hearts are pure light, but what actually is it that makes it pure light?
      • Snow=?
      • Cindy=Charm and beauty, against jealousy.
      • Rory=(you can't exactly sin if you spend a lot of the time asleep...)
      • Belle=?
      • Jasmine=?
      • Alice=Willfulness, according to the Chi translations, against selfishness.
      • Kairi=?
      • Rapunzel=?
      • Anna=?
      • Elsa=(huh?!)
  • How did Kairi's grandma have access to the castle library if the guards are keeping civilians out?
    • Maybe it only applies to Lea and Isa because they're very rambunctious?
    • The library is probably accessible to the public.
    • Unlikely, but Kairi's bio fam might be some sort of distant relation to Ansem.
    • Does being pure, albeit artificially, exempt you from the rules of time?
    • Does the chamber of waking have special powers or something to prevent aging to its inhabitants?
Again, feel free to add more or ignore this, because, eh...
I can answer a few of these,
Snow White would have to be kindness above all others, even to Terra when they first meet
Belle: The bravery to sacrifice herself to take her fathers place

Kairi's grandma's scene in KH1 has to be taken in context with the establsihed lore at the time. All ANYONE knew about Radiant garden was what remained of the castle, the surrounding town, bailey, everything was nonexistent. So for that scene to take place in Kairi's homeworld, they had to do it in a place that would feasibly fit in with the castle theme and not show too much of Maleficent's influence (because you know, SHE'S THE REASON THE WORLD'S trashed to begin with).

Ventus not aging is something of an anomaly. My theory is that because his body was without his heart, he couldn't grow. Kind of like how when comatose victims wake up after years of being in a coma. If they're of a certain age, they wake up without much change in their personality, as they haven't had much time to mature.

Chie

Awards
Their hearts are pure light because their hearts are pieces of the x-blade, that's it. They're still people who have free will.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Their hearts are pure light because their hearts are pieces of the x-blade, that's it. They're still people who have free will.
From what I understand, that's still up in the air because translations. It could be interpreted as that, or that those seven pieces came to exist to "protect the number of pure hearts in this world." It's still not clear and I'd be glad if someone could already answer that with citations.

LoneFox

Awards
How did Kairi's grandma have access to the castle library if the guards are keeping civilians out?
Would they let Yen Sid have access to it if he needed? Isn't it likely that she is a retired keyblade master just like him? Of course, it is possible that she is a friend or a relative of Ansem the Wise as well.

How did Ventus not age when Nobodies who also didn't have their hearts can?
Land of Departure is on the border of Realms of Light and Darkness. Castle Oblivion is the dark side of it. Therefore, it makes sense that being in there counts as being in the Realm of Darkness for aging. I know there are other explanations, but this seems to be the most logical one.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
No one else have any questions on the smaller details, like what was Sora's dinner when the world was ending? None? Meh...
  • If Kairi has been in RG back for a year, has her bio fam been found and reunited with her, or did they just accept her as DIA?
  • How did King Triton know about other worlds and the legend of the keyblade?
    • Is it because he's technically a magic-user? Magic-users seem to know more than they let on.

Edit:

Would they let Yen Sid have access to it if he needed? Isn't it likely that she is a retired keyblade master just like him? Of course, it is possible that she is a friend or a relative of Ansem the Wise as well.

Land of Departure is on the border of Realms of Light and Darkness. Castle Oblivion is the dark side of it. Therefore, it makes sense that being in there counts as being in the Realm of Darkness for aging. I know there are other explanations, but this seems to be the most logical one.

I realised this late in hindsight.

Allow me to respectfully poke a hole in that argument. TWTNW is also a world in the in-between, albeit closer to darkness but it is the Organization's home base and still technically in the in-between, and they've aged; noticeably Axel, Saïx, and Zexion.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The whole aging thing seems to be related to having an active heart inside the body or not, even if it may be a "burgeoning" one aka a newborn, incomplete one.

Ventus' body was without a heart for more than ten years and the soul, the life energy battery of a being in the KH-verse, didn't spend any energy during that time so no physical aging of the vessel during that time.

In DDD both Xemnas and Ansem the Wise speak of burgeoning replacement hearts in Nobodies so those who did age would obviously have at least the starting points of a newly developing heart within them.

Since memories also play a role in a beings appearance this could be another factor coming in from the side. A full detailed single "that's it" explanation however isn't possible as it has been never outright explained in detail and therefore it might also be attributed to just KH/Disney-magic and fantasy shenanigans being in play.

For example Terra also came back looking like only a day passed after the end of BBS instead of looking like Xemnas with brown hair and blue eyes despite his body being "used" by first Apprentice Xehanort and then Xemnas for quite a while.

LoneFox

Awards
Allow me to respectfully poke a hole in that argument. TWTNW is also a world in the in-between, albeit closer to darkness but it is the Organization's home base and still technically in the in-between, and they've aged; noticeably Axel, Saïx, and Zexion.
But how much time they actually spent in there? Weren't they doing missions in various worlds? In fact, Xemnas is the one organization member who would have been in TWTNW most of the time, and this could be half of an explanation...

For example Terra also came back looking like only a day passed after the end of BBS instead of looking like Xemnas with brown hair and blue eyes despite his body being "used" by first Apprentice Xehanort and then Xemnas for quite a while.
...why Terra's body didn't age. The other half would be that it actually did age a bit, but there isn't that much difference between 20 and, say, 25 years old body. This is the part of a person's life where the effects of aging are least visible.

And yes, we are probably going into more detail here than Nomura himself has ever thought about this.

okhi12

Awards
There's the possibility that Kairi's Grandma was some sort of scholar or servant working in the castle. If she was a scholar that would also explain her knowledge about the age of fairy tales which apparently is not very common knowledge, and she appropiately told Kairi that story as a fairy tale. She is connected to the castle somehow, in BBS Kairi was found by the castle gates and after Aqua and Mickey saved her from the unversed the grandma appeared.
Why she left Kairi alone is another question...

Apprentice Xehanort knew that Kairi was special because of her light, so maybe Ansem the Wise knew as well and took her and her grandma under his protection in the castle. Maybe she was a test subject too (not for inhuman or harmful experiments like the people in the basement, but for some other inocuous experiments by Ansem the Wise).

Blood relatives of Ansem or noble descent is another possibility given that most princesses of heart are of royal blood and even Alice who is not royal is from a wealthy family. But if she was related to Ansem it would have been at least stated in Melody of Memory, I think.

About King Triton, the rulers and people of undersea kingdoms or isolated islands often are depicted in fantasy media as having greater lifespans, powerful magic and vast knowledge of ancient times forgotten by the rest of the world. Notable examples, the people of Lemuria in Golden Sun and the queen of Nautica in DQXI. Some of this may be the case for Atlantica.
Anyway, rulers in general often have access to privileged knowledge, so Triton knowing about the keyblade and other worlds is nothing strange. King Mickey and Ansem are rulers as well and have similar or greater knowledge.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
As others have said, the PoHs' literal hearts are light. It's not based on their actions. They don't earn the designation with moral purity, they were born with it. That said, KH3 muddies the situation for me by saying that the PoHs can change. Rapunzel, Elsa, and Anna weren't born since the original 7 lost their light--so apparently they couldn't have been born with hearts of pure light? The light had to have come inside them from the universe itself or something?

One question I thought of while playing CoM, Days, and KH2 was about Nobodies and Keyblades. Keyblades can be wielded by those with very strong hearts. Nobodies are created when someone with a very strong heart loses their heart to a Heartless, and the humanoid Nobodies are those with even stronger hearts than those who formed the base Nobodies. So... Considering the fact that Nobodies can re-grow hearts and that Xehanort / Xemnas must have known this... Why was the attempt to make the KH in KH2 dependent entirely on Roxas (or Xion) and Sora's actions? Surely a few of them would be able to wield a Keyblade after they'd re-grown their hearts. And I'm not sure, doesn't Xemnas have a heart inside him via Terra anyway similar to the way Roxas has Ven's heart...or something? Why couldn't Xemnas have been fighting Heartless with a Keyblade to make the KH even faster?

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Xemnas didn't do this because then his whole deception that Nobodies can regain hearts only via the Kingdom Hearts they were building would not work anymore.
It was also revealed in DDD that Xemnas deliberately withheld the information about how hearts can be regained otherwise from the other Nobodies in order to follow his own secret agenda.

The whole "hearts can re-grow"-procedure was known by only four beings as far as we know, Xehanort, Xemnas, Xigbar and Ansem the Wise. The first three were in on the conspiracy and thus had no interest in revealing it and the last one was blinded by his thirst for revenge and stubbornness to accept the facts about Nobodies.

D

Deleted member 235902

In BBS, Aeleus says to Ventus "The castle is presently closed." which means there are times when it's not closed and is open to the public. At least parts of it are, such as the library. Lea and Isa tried to sneak in when it was closed to try and visit Subject X and possibly try to free her.

There aren't any Nobodies without hearts who have aged. Every single Nobody who has aged had a heart that they grew. They aged because they had a heart. You need a heart to age. Ventus didn't age because he didn't have his heart. His heart wasn't in his body, it was within Sora.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Maybe this was explained, but why doesn't Zexion realize he has a heart even though he's a Nobody when he goes from toddler to the Zexy we know and love? Does Xemnas just gaslight the shit out of them all?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Maybe this was explained, but why doesn't Zexion realize he has a heart even though he's a Nobody when he goes from toddler to the Zexy we know and love? Does Xemnas just gaslight the shit out of them all?
Considering all humanoid Nobodies seemed to age, he might have just been unaware of bodies not aging without hearts. I don't think it'd be common knowledge.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Considering all humanoid Nobodies seemed to age, he might have just been unaware of bodies not aging without hearts. I don't think it'd be common knowledge.

I suppose that makes sense. They aren't privy to the same knowledge about in-universe rules as we are. I mean, they do study the heart all the time so you'd think they'd stumble on that information. Meh.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I suppose that makes sense. They aren't privy to the same knowledge about in-universe rules as we are. I mean, they do study the heart all the time so you'd think they'd stumble on that information. Meh.
Well it's hard to get an example of a body without a heart that doesn't turn into a Nobody. So, if they had discovered Ven and observed him over the years, they could have optained that data.
Otherwisethere haven't been too many cases.

Another related thing I'm curious about is, how do the non-human looking Nobodies age? And how much individuality can they maintain.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Another related thing I'm curious about is, how do the non-human looking Nobodies age? And how much individuality can they maintain.
Can’t answer the first one, but we have vague allusions to the second question. They can talk, at least. They also seem to have more leeway when it comes to loyalty and the pecking order, given how some dusks chose to follow Vexen’s command and went against Ansem SoD to save AtW and Hayner at Twilight Town.

D

Deleted member 235902

Xemnas lied to them all. This was revealed in Dream Drop Distance. They all grew hearts of their own.

Back