• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How would you feel about a game that was completely detached from the rest of the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
I always thought it would be interesting if KH ever got a game or sub-series that had its own self-contained story arc, completely detached from the story, or even the canon of the main series, in a similar vein to what pretty much every Final Fantasy game is.

“But then would it even be Kingdom Hearts?” you’re probably wondering, but there could still be elements that connect it to the main series, such as the continued use of Disney and Square elements. Hearts could also still be a theme of the series, but maybe its definition of what a heart is, and what role it plays in the story could be something new.

Last edited:

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
Same universe, different (and detached) story would be lovely.

Hard no for the Final Fantasy thing.

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
An actual spinoff detached from the main series? That’d be nice 👍

Maybe have Sora as a small cameo to show it’s related, but it could be like a brief chat with the lead of the spin-off and then they go their separate ways. Something like how Mandolorian handled Luke’s cameo at the end of Season 2

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I would like that. It'd be cool to see what happens in the universe that Sora and the rest don't see.

If that game were to happen, I think the protagonist should NOT have a keyblade. They should be someone with a special weapon and a unique way to travel worlds. If I were to do the story, it would be something like this:

The protagonist (X) witnesses the 1,000 heartless battle during KH2 and sees the Organization and figures out that there are worlds outside of Radiant Garden (they live in Radiant Garden). During the battle, X's little brother gets kidnapped by a nobody. X decides that creatures are from another world and they have to follow them to find their brother. X thinks about how to escape Radiant Garden, then sees Sora talking to the Final Fantasy characters. X realizes that the FF characters must be in on the outside worlds as well. X sneaks into Cid's garage and steals a Gummi Ship and a weapon prototype, then goes off to find their brother.

v4vendetta

Awards
I think it would be great! But not right now.
There are a lot of wrinkles and unanswered questions in the universe as it is. The lore is honestly really complex and convoluted and rarely ever consistent. I personally would like them to finish the story that they have going before starting another.

But I hope there are adventures after the ones we have established.
And I'm really hoping that the protagonist is a girl.
I don't know what it is about Japanese properties being completely unable to write women but it seems like every JRPG or Video Game features a bunch of useless female sidekicks/helpless princesses to be saved.
I've seen very few anime where the women are anything but fan-service or a plot device (aside from ones created by women themselves).
Western media isn't much better but it seems to be progressing at a faster rate at least, with shows like She-Ra.

I know the #Kairideservedbetter take is overdone, but it's true.

Maybe Nomura can world-build and another talented writer can come on to write out characters and dialogue but whatever comes next I hope it is an improvement on what came before and not a half-hearted continuation of the same mistakes.

Barrett

Awards
Would love to have several games like this! Pretty sure that Nomura might eventually find a way to make these games important later down the line, though. ;)

Awards
I'm all for this idea. And the Make Your Own Kingdom Hearts Game Idea Here thread is full of great pitches for standalone games.

P.S. I haven't figured out how to link to other threads yet lol

WaltK

Awards
I’m seeing people not keen on the idea of an alt canon game, but consider this; such a game would have more freedom over what Disney worlds to use without treading on the feet of the main series.

Katsagu

Awards
I would love it. It would make the overall KH universe bigger. The problem with having every little thing be connected to something is that it makes the world feel small, like the world turns around the main characters. UX was the closest we got to this from a story point, but then Ventus, Marluxia and Larxene got put into it and oh well.

KeybladePenguin

Awards
An actual Kingdom Hearts MMO would be absolutely fantastic. Id love to guild up with a cool group and play.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I quite like both ideas. The idea of a separate KH adventure happening out in the realm of light detached from Sora and Co. is part of why I'm rather curious about the scholastic books, it could be an interesting broadening of the universe. That said I feel like we wouldn't get a true standalone game, until Nomura decides he's done with this series and who knows if the series would go on without him.

I like the idea of a series of FF type reimaginings with concepts caring over and being reinterpreted, but I'm not sure it'd word as a game series parallel to what we already have. Still it would be a cool way to see different takes on this universe. An like you said with this take you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the lore, because it would be a bit different every time.

KeybladePenguin

Awards
I quite like both ideas. The idea of a separate KH adventure happening out in the realm of light detached from Sora and Co. is part of why I'm rather curious about the scholastic books, it could be an interesting broadening of the universe. That said I feel like we wouldn't get a true standalone game, until Nomura decides he's done with this series and who knows if the series would go on without him.

I like the idea of a series of FF type reimaginings with concepts caring over and being reinterpreted, but I'm not sure it'd word as a game series parallel to what we already have. Still it would be a cool way to see different takes on this universe. An like you said with this take you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the lore, because it would be a bit different every time.
Personally I wouldn't mind as a DLC we play as Cloud with a party with Tifa in an another world, maybe in Unreality and finally sever the connection between Sephiroth.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Let me have a Namine spinoff where I can whack enemies with a giant pencil, please. I know Nomura's scared of girls doing anything cool, but I've got the money, let me give you the money to do this, you weird belt-obsessed man.

D

Deleted member 246005

I lost interest with the existing cast and plot during the Xehanort saga. So going back to basics with a new cast/plot could be fun. It could be like Star Wars Rebels or Vigilantes: My Hero Academia.

A big question is whether or not the Disney Worlds should be used. It's 50/50 for me personally.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I lost interest with the existing cast and plot during the Xehanort saga. So going back to basics with a new cast/plot could be fun. It could be like Star Wars Rebels or Vigilantes: My Hero Academia.

A big question is whether or not the Disney Worlds should be used. It's 50/50 for me personally.
I'd love a KH spin-off along those lines. Even if it were just a one and done game. I feel Disney Worlds would be a must, but maybe just one's based on IPs the main line would never be interested in using?

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd love a KH spin-off along those lines. Even if it were just a one and done game. I feel Disney Worlds would be a must, but maybe just one's based on IPs the main line would never be interested in using?
Sure but I'm ok with reusing worlds if there's an interesting hook.

Granted it depends on the reason why these worlds were cut in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm on the boat that thinks that, if Nomura were to able make Verum Rex a real video game, it would happen using the KINGDOM HEARTS brand. Something along the lines of: KINGDOM HEARTS - Verum Rex -

Then it can become its own thing: Verum Rex II or 2 or Dos

So it's technically a spinoff, since it's based on a KH property, but it's its own thing.

Back