• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Theory: A new Mobile Game is in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Last year it was announced that the story of Union x is coming to an end. And Dark Road doesn't have any real longevity. From what I've heard, Union x has an average of about 50k-100k active players globally (that was a year ago so it may not be accurate). That's a pretty low number by mobile game standards and it looks even worse considering how popular KH is. So I've been thinking for a while now that as soon as the stories of both games are completed, Square Enix won't waste any time shutting the servers down(they'll wait long enough for players to finish of course). When that happens, I think a new mobile game will possibly release within a year or so. Of course this is all just speculation but if this does happen there's a lot of potential for it to be an improvement over Ux in many ways. Mobile games have come a long way since 2015 technologically speaking so things that couldn't be done at the time like 3D graphics and voice acting are now possible. But what kind of game could it be? A Genshin Impact style MMO? A Hearthstone-esque TCG? Something else entirely? And what would the story be? Could this be something that's planned for the 20th anniversary? Only time will tell. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think it will happen? Or have Ux and DR ruined all potential for Kingdom Hearts mobile games.

Awards
Nothing against you, but I hope not. The mobile games are so horribly executed. After Dark Road, I don’t there is any chance for redemption.
In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about mobile games. But since Nintendo and Sony both backed away from handhelds, unfortunately mobile is what we're left with. And as poorly made as most of them are, they are a (almost) never ending source of income and Square Enix in particular is kinda greedy in that department. I'm not crazy about the idea but it will most likely happen anyways.

Barrett

Awards
While I don't think we've seen the last of KH mobile games, I just hope that whatever the inevitable next one is looks and feels different from both UX and DR and that either its main story isn't dragged on too long or that we get more frequent updates on the main story, even if they end up being really small. I'm not really asking for much, but still... 😅

AR829038

Awards
I would hope that the small audience and negative feedback are enough to discourage more mobile games from a financial incentive, but I tend toward the cynical side of things more often than not. Like everyone else, I desperately hope there won't be any more. My love of the KH franchise has gotten really strained over these last several years, and the mobile games really are the primary culprit. A lot of people didn't like KH3 (I loved it, though acknowledge its numerous flaws), but to me (and most of the fanbase it would seem) the mobile games are the real unforgivable sin. They're just so bad. I don't think I can force myself to slog through a third one if they do make one. I'd probably just drop out of the fandom at that point, especially knowing how important the mobile games tend to be to the ongoing story.

WaltK

Awards
Can we not?

Like, seriously, can we please not?

I gave up on Union X a long time ago because of what a total schlog of a repetitive experience it was.

I’m sick to death of mobile games where the plot doesn’t even stick in my mind because of how they insist on drip feeding it to me in between endless levels that are all the same.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Please no! I would rather they charge me for monthly DLC for KH3 than that! They can put a coliseum fight in the big, empty space at the top of Olympus and add new tournaments monthly that you can pay $1.99 for. After fighting a series of heartless/nobodies/unversed you eventually fight someone already in the game - like Riku, Roxas, Kairi, Aqua, Axel etc. Each month can be another guardian of light (or Final Fantasy character). Do that for a year instead of a mobile game, please Square!

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
TBH i think they'll keep the servers for KHUX up just with no new quests or anything and keep it basic with the finished story, PvE, PvP, Union Cross and the side quests they have available like raids and gems and stuff. for a new mobile game i'd rather sit it out tbh and invest more on what comes out on console and/or PC. i really don't enjoy having to keep a game running on auto cause it takes out the fun of actually playing a game

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I don't think it's in Square Enix's best interest to do that right now. Dark Road is severely underdeveloped right now and I believe that all hands are on deck for that game once Union Cross finally concludes its narrative.

Cumguardian69

Awards
DR is going to see maybe a year or two's worth of dripfeed mobileshit "content" then it'll close. I don't think DR is going to close concurrently with UX. That being said the gacha makes SE too much money to abandon. They will run another KH app with recycled PNGs for the gachaslaves with minimal content. That I would guess woud be Mickey's foray into Scala ad Caelum.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I think if they were interested in making more KH mobile games, Dark Road wouldn't exist as a feature-light appendage to UX.

Well, UX wasn't the first mobile game, so it's easy to think that it won't be the last.
Though with it reportedly (and consistently) struggling to keep players active, I imagine the prospect of trying again isn't quite as inviting compared to making 5 more Final Fantasy mobage.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It'd be ironic if Verum Rex ends up being the substitute to KH Mobile games *snort*

I don't think it's in Square Enix's best interest to do that right now. Dark Road is severely underdeveloped right now and I believe that all hands are on deck for that game once Union Cross finally concludes its narrative.
It's a possibility. It's also a possibility that Dark Road will end alongside KHUx, or KHUx will end and Dark Road will go on for a bit.

That I would guess woud be Mickey's foray into Scala ad Caelum.
Mickey's road to Scala is speculated to be what the KH Animated Series for Disney+ is going to be about, but a KINGDOM HEARTS mobile game where Mickey is the protagonist would make a nice excuse to close down KHUx and DR.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Mickey's road to Scala is speculated to be what the KH Animated Series for Disney+ is going to be about, but a KINGDOM HEARTS mobile game where Mickey is the protagonist would make a nice excuse to close down KHUx and DR.
I have significant doubts that Mickey investigating Scala can fulfill the needs of an animated series or video game narrative

Awards
I knew it was coming to an end but I didn't think it was going to be this soon. And Dark Road ending before the end of the year? My OP could turn out to be a sad reality a lot sooner than I expected.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I knew it was coming to an end but I didn't think it was going to be this soon. And Dark Road ending before the end of the year? My OP could turn out to be a sad reality a lot sooner than I expected.
Maybe Genshin Impact made Square Enix reconsider how to approach Kingdom Hearts mobile games for the future.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
From a Marketing point of view, I doubt Square will let loose of the considerable amount of players that are more than willing and able to consume and pay for KH content on mobile.

There could be the possibility that KH Dark Road had a planned, short duration in order for that small team to help work on whatever new KH mobile game we might get.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
More waifu pandering?
I was strictly talking about the comparison from a gameplay perspective, say what you will about games by MiHoYo but Genshin Impact changed how narrative-driven free-to-play games should be approached on both mobile and consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back