• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What about a Kingdom Hearts without Disney??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

astertide

Awards
The thing about Kingdom Hearts is its main audience is not young teenagers, even though that's who it's supposedly marketed towards. Its main audience are around their mid-20s. This is because it began in 2002, for goodness' sakes. But the main reason lots of 30-year-olds still play Kingdom Hearts now is because of nostalgia. The whole Disney part reminds them of when they first watched the movie way back in the early 2000s. Kingdom Hearts never grows old, Sora never grows old, and while we remember, we stay children at heart. To take away Disney would be taking away so much of that nostalgia, and so much of what Kingdom Hearts is. It doesn't matter how good the worlds are, for some people, they just need to be reminded that those worlds exist and Kingdom Hearts lets them experience them again as they once did.

.:Mega:.

Awards
See, I actually want Sora to get older. I don't think aging the characters means sacrificing the magic and wonder of the Disney IPs. But keeping him locked at 15 indefinitely just gives the timeline no room to breathe. :p It'd be nice to see the KH cast actually grow a little with its fanbase.

I'd also like to see more niche Disney IPs. Gimme Treasure Planet and Atlantis, dangit!

Danrye001

Awards
Let's all take a moment imagining KH without, Disney. NO, NOPE, NOT GONNA HAPPEN, I don't wanna see non-disney worlds like Akame Ga Kill, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc. Disney is the reason KH became popular, and if it weren't for Disney, people won't remember 15 minutes of the nostalgia of the best Disney Movies and it won't be one of the world weirdest and best crossovers of all time!

Last edited:

horto12485

Awards
No Basically Kingdom Hearts is Disney and there can't be no Kingdom Hearts without the Disney elements (Cameos, Worlds, Summons even Easter Eggs) and you all are just against it

D

Deleted member 246005

Since we all know that Xehanort's Saga is going to end at KH3 and Sora is still going to be the hero, I'm really interested in people's opinion about Kingdom Hearts to let go of Disney (meaning no Goofy and Donald and the rest of Disney Worlds).

So should Kingdom Hearts let go of Disney and create new worlds entirely, plot, characters, etc? or Do you think it is better to continue Disney + KH + FF?

I'm really clueless as to what Kingdom Hearts might be in the future. But to be honest, I think it is time to let go of Disney and go on with new characters and worlds etc etc.
It could be an experiment worth trying in a spinoff. Preferably with a new protagonist.

I'm cool with Final Fantasy being dropped. I don't hate FF, I just don't think they bring much to the table beyond cameos and boss fights.

Disney is the main appeal of this franchise so I'd keep it. I'd just use them better. KH3 was a step in the right direction. With some tweaks it could be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So here's an insane thought: could Square potentially buy KH from Disney outright? It wouldn't be the first time Disney's ever sold IP, they owned Power Rangers for about a decade before selling it off to Saban Brands. Of course Disney never wanted anything to do with PR & were probably eager to dump it, but they also tend to be wishy-washy on KH, with Square having to do almost of the marketing & merchandising themselves. If Disney

Naturally, Square wouldn't be able to use Disney characters but then again most of those characters are public domain. Square could theoretically use their own versions of Jiminy Cricket, Merlin, Fairy Godmother, & the like. In particular, barring Disney getting another extension (admittedly highly likely), Mickey Mouse will supposedly enter Public Domain in 2024, a mere 3 years away. If this comes to pass & Square's really wants to transition away from Disney properties, they might just negotiate a buyout in 3 years.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
So here's an insane thought: could Square potentially buy KH from Disney outright? It wouldn't be the first time Disney's ever sold IP, they owned Power Rangers for about a decade before selling it off to Saban Brands. Of course Disney never wanted anything to do with PR & were probably eager to dump it, but they also tend to be wishy-washy on KH, with Square having to do almost of the marketing & merchandising themselves. If Disney

Naturally, Square wouldn't be able to use Disney characters but then again most of those characters are public domain. Square could theoretically use their own versions of Jiminy Cricket, Merlin, Fairy Godmother, & the like. In particular, barring Disney getting another extension (admittedly highly likely), Mickey Mouse will supposedly enter Public Domain in 2024, a mere 3 years away. If this comes to pass & Square's really wants to transition away from Disney properties, they might just negotiate a buyout in 3 years.

Thats too much of a hassle. That deal has too many cons that outweighs the pros. Also why would Square buy an IP they’re already making money off?

redcrown

Awards
I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but; I'm honestly tired of Mickey, Donald and Goofy. They've had their run through their respective adventures with Sora and Riku, what else could they really do with them anymore. In fact I remember as far back as DDD in 2012 feeling that it was a nice change to replace them as party members. Maybe I'm just burnt out of KH in general repeating itself, especially in mainline games, it makes me question if I'm even a "real" KH fan or not anymore lol.

Edit: no this isn't an April fool's day joke.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ I understand that feeling. I'm kind of attached to D&G as party members myself though. I was one of the few it seemed like who loved the Dream Eaters (and I kind of hope they return for the Quadratum game), but at the same time I prefer to have party members who occasionally make voiced reactions in battle. For me, walking around solo in game has a kind of cold, creepy feeling at times.

It would be interesting if Sora went on an adventure with two different Disney core characters. Like maybe Donald & Goofy are busy at Disney Castle because insert-reason-here, so they send replacements. Perhaps Donald could send Scrooge (who is an adventurer) or Launchpad, and Goofy could send Max Goof (who would want to get out and do something for a change). I definitely don't want one of (much less all three of) the nephews, they would get on my nerves in a full-game capacity. I think Launchpad and Max Goof would probably work well off one another the way Donald and Goofy do, and it would kind of be the reverse of D&G (with Launchpad being dumb and nice the way Goofy is and Max Goof being sassy / selfish like Donald). I'm just spitballing since I know this will never happen, lol. I suppose Daisy could be Donald's replacement.

Last edited:

HakaishinChampa

Awards

Now I want a Power Rangers world, lol

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Now I want a Power Rangers world, lol
& I know who would've been the perfect boss for it too:
VOnP7mU.png

Danrye001

Awards
I really do not see the point in the Disney stuff anymore. The Disney Worlds are just a distraction now that takes time away from characters that really need proper development such as Kairi or Naminé. Also, Disney has become so restricted with their properties, that some worlds end up just a one-to-one-retelling of the original movie. Sora wasn't even allowed to interact with most of the Frozen cast properly. Why do you guys think Marshmallow was the partner character in the Frozen-World? Not because of storytelling-reasons, but because Disney was so afraid that Nomura could ruin their biggest cash cow character.

Kingdom Hearts is big enough to stand on its own legs now. You do not need Disney anymore and Disney doesn't need Kingdom Hearts anymore. I mean, look at the final battle, how many Disney characters where a part of it? Only three and they all played a very minor role in the end.
Well Imagine KH without Disney, what would it look like? I couldn't imagine how KH work without Disney even if I did imagine KH without Disney, it would lead to a disaster.

With the direction KH is going, it's already its own thing and no longer the crossover of SE and Disney it's supposed to be in the first place. I admit, I have a thing for the complex/abstract Japanese work and which is why I stay with KH. I admit that abstractness is not for everyone, but it goes back to the answer that I stayed neither for Disney element, nor exactly for anime element (even if the complexity is another Japanese thing it's not exactly anime thing. All of this considered I wouldn't recommend KH to a Disney fan for the Disney worlds in KH are often simply rehash of the original world, that the worlds barely changed or have impact to Sora's journey. Sure we got the Pixar worlds in KH3, but what about other games?How can we so sure that in next games the worlds will also be developed like the Pixar worlds in KH3? If someone wants Disney meets anime , or better said animefied Disney I'd recommend them Twisted Wonderland instead of KH. The Disney material is utilized in both respectful to the OG source and creative way, and since they are expies instead of borrowed characters, they will remain relevant to the plot.
There's one more issue, the CGI, how are they going to implement the CGI in these characters?

Sean Wheeler

Awards
Without Disney, maybe Sora's chances of being in Super Smash Bros would be higher. I've argued against Sora getting into Nintendo's crossover fighting game featuring video game characters for the sole reason of Disney. However, the chances of a Kingdom Hearts game without Disney is very unlikely. Disney owns Sora and all the other characters Square Enix designed for Kingdom Hearts while Square only owns the Final Fantasy characters and The World Ends With You characters. And a Kingdom Hearts game with only original worlds and no Disney characters just wouldn't feel like Kingdom Hearts. The Disney movies give the developers some inspiration, but if a game were to have 13 original worlds, what would be the storyline like there? The original worlds were designed as starting places or climatic battles while the Disney worlds provide content for the middle of the story. And Sora can't travel without Donald and Goofy. He's using their Gummi Ship. A Kingdom Hearts game without Disney might as well be a Final Fantasy game.

Back